26 - 50% -- I have a few stocks. 550 44.79%
51 - 75% -- I'm an active trader. 201 16.37%
76 - 100% -- Hey, I'm an i-banker!!! 81 6.60%
Voters: 1228. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 24th November 2015, 13:33   #3091
Senior - BHPian

Re: Do you play the stock market

I bought 18 shares of a company more than 12 months ago. Then within last 12 months, I purchased 25+ shares of the same company.
Now, I would like to sell 14 of the shares such that I can avoid STCG tax.

How does IT department know that I want to sell 14 out of my first batch of 18 shares and hence I won't be paying STGC tax?
Old 24th November 2015, 13:45   #3092
Senior - BHPian

Always the order of FIFO is followed while selling. First in First out.
Old 2nd December 2015, 21:24   #3093
BHPian

Booking partial profits out of Reliance Communications.

Looking for undervalued ideas in the agricultural input space and any viewpoints on the sugar sector.
Also looking at MOIL. For positional trade for about 6 months.

Any inputs?
Old 3rd December 2015, 17:33   #3094
Distinguished - BHPian

Does anybody use any professional recommendations / tips (paid services)? Any pointers to it??
Old 3rd December 2015, 17:48   #3095
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Does anybody use any professional recommendations / tips (paid services)? Any pointers to it??
IMHO they're not worth it and would recommend you to stay away.

If you have a small chunk of cash you can take risks with go ahead but it's mostly for trying to make a quick buck than help you build real wealth.

They'll keep sending you tons of text messages daily with stuff like - target XYZ at Rs XXX, stop loss at XXX, buy XX units at XX. Inputs like these doesn't really let you be the decision maker as you would then gravitate towards using these without your own due research.

It's all a business, and any monthly/annual fee you pay would just add to their bottom-line, not yours.

That said, different strokes for different folks. Just sharing my limited experience with these tips.

Cheers
Old 3rd December 2015, 18:38   #3096
BHPian

Quote:
Beware of paid services involving SMS tips for day trading. Most of them are fraudulent. Many of the tips have the same upside and downside, I mean it will say something like "BUY L&T, Target 1360, Stop Loss 1340" when its closing price today is 1348.

There was this one well known company in Bangalore (tried searching for it online, but it seems to have gone under) that had a pricey stock tip service and they would take a position before sending the SMS and make money on arbitrage.

This is in stark contrast to established companies like IIFL, Angel Broking, etc. who put out in depth reports that you can access from websites like moneycontrol.com. That reminds me, please never ever follow any of the tips on the moneycontrol.com message boards.

Think about it rationally. If I know that Stock X will rise Y amount today, wouldn't I make money myself than sell that tip for a few rupees?
Old 3rd December 2015, 18:42   #3097
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ Thanks guys. I am definitely not putting my money on day trade. Been there, done that & have burnt my fingers too. This is more from a short term (3-6 months) to long term (1 year+).

I still can't do much of analysis nor find great stocks for long run. Thought I'll try to find something that may be worth & genuine.
Old 3rd December 2015, 19:34   #3098
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsingh View Post
Booking partial profits out of Reliance Communications.

Looking for undervalued ideas in the agricultural input space and any viewpoints on the sugar sector.
Also looking at MOIL. For positional trade for about 6 months.

Any inputs?
i would not invest in government regulated industry or cyclical industry like sugar or Oil and gas. Invest in industry which has given consistent good returns over long period of time without much of government interference. IT Services, Pharma, heavy engineering and Auto to some extent are some examples of such industries.

Quote:
^^ Thanks guys. I am definitely not putting my money on day trade. Been there, done that & have burnt my fingers too. This is more from a short term (3-6 months) to long term (1 year+).

I still can't do much of analysis nor find great stocks for long run. Thought I'll try to find something that may be worth & genuine.
In Stock market short term should be 5 years and long term 10+ years. Only attribute a person should have to be good at stocks is patience. Nothing else matters.
Old 4th December 2015, 21:13   #3099

I think apart from patience, if one is an investor, he/she must be in the right stock.
For eg. look at RCom. It was at Rs.145 at the end of 2010. Today it is at Rs.80.
On the other hand look at Symphony. It was at Rs.120. Today it is at Rs.2200!
There are hundreds of stocks on both side.
As a disclosure I dont own any of the above mentioned stock right now.
Old 6th December 2015, 09:53   #3100

Battery storage like Amar Raja, Exide look good in the long run and can be added on declines for the simple reasons :

1. The demand for them would be much higher due to cost of solar energy going down and people in general accepting and adopting solar for electricity needs for home use in power deficient areas. Recently a friend installed 7.5 KWA for his farm house costing just 3.3 lacs all inclusive with branded solar plates (Tata), Exide inverter and amaron batteries (10 in no). On retail basis the cost of solar panels has come down to 50-55 per watt.

2. Batteries are a proxy play for auto industry as well. Ever since Bajaj stopped production of its kick-start scooters, most of the two wheeler machines have started having push button start. Hardly any kick-start two wheeler is seen these days. And you do have OEM and replacement market for them other than cars and commercial vehicles, tractors etc.

A new era is about to dawn. The hybrid vehicle. With the world pressing on the Green theme, Tesla putting its money where its mouth is, the writing on the wall is too obvious.

If these companies are nimble footed in future and not let any disruptive technology ruin the their lead battery business (lithium and a new technology being developed comes to mind) , they would keep posting good returns.

On another note, historically the most and consistent money making companies list does include Amar Raja, other than Motherson Sumi, Sun Pharma etc.
Old 7th December 2015, 21:50   #3101
BHPian

Recently was introduced to the pre-paid brokerage plan with ICICIDirect but have not yet decided whether to opt for it or not. Any one out here who has opted for it and could share feedback / benefits?

Am more inclined towards opening a secondary account with Zerodha especially after they announced ZERO brokerage for delivery based equity trades, no strings attached, no terms & conditions. Read more about it here.

Folks who are using Zerodha please share your feedback about the platform and ease / difficulty of use, overall user experience.

As of now am quite happy with ICICIDirect except for the brokerage charges which are on the higher side and hence was contemplating the pre-paid plan but now am more inclined towards opening a second account with zero brokerage @ zerodha. Would not want to close ICICIDirect because they offer other features like IPO/FPO & tax free bonds etc. which Zerodha does not offer currently.

Thoughts/opinions/views on having two accounts instead of one.

Cheers,
S
Old 8th December 2015, 12:13   #3102
Senior - BHPian

I had purchased a small number of Gujarat Borosil shares in November last year at Rs. 24 (approx.)
After September results, suddenly the stock has shot up. Are people now buying because the company reported profits? Or is there some other reason?
Current market price is almost Rs. 70.
Old 9th December 2015, 10:03   #3103

@SUN, even I am holding Gujarat Borosil! My average price is Rs.30. I plan to hold it as of now.
Old 10th December 2015, 16:12   #3104
J.Ravi

Today morning, I placed buy orders for Axis Bank, ICICI Bank, SBI and Tata Motors. Out of that, only one order of 50 SBIN @ 232 was successful, thanks to 200+ rise in Sensex.

Old 11th December 2015, 13:50   #3105
BHPian

Good call on Indigo! If a company has figured out how to do profitable business and grow in an industry in which most find it very very difficult to do so, that in itself is a competitive advantage and can form a "Moat".

VRL was another great IPO this year. Narayana Hrudayalaya could be another.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Anyone investing in Indigo?

I'm planning to. Hefty yes, but a great airline with a solid track record, happy customers and profitability.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks