76 - 100% -- Hey, I'm an i-banker!!! 81 6.60%
Voters: 1228. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 28th April 2016, 13:32   #3226
BHPian

Re: Do you play the stock market

Quote:
Originally Posted by inder View Post
Wanted to apply for Thyrocare Ipo, just spoke to motilal oswal where I have a demat account. Usually I told them on phone how many lots to apply and gave them a cheque. But now they are saying to apply from my bank. My bank is BOI and when I contacted them they had no idea. Has the process for applying to an IPO changed? What should I do. Had last applied for Dr.lal and Alkem
Now ASBA(Application Supported by Blocked Amount) is mandatory for IPO. I have successfully applied for IPO yesterday, using IDBI demat and Vijaya Bank savings a/c combination.

Try to contact DP cell ( or staff delaing with demat a/c's) of BOI, they should be able to help you. This process is called offline IPO application.

Hope this helps.
Old 10th May 2016, 21:32   #3227
BHPian

Bought UPL ( good ROE, low debt/equity ratio, monsoon coming?), Kitex Garments and CCL Products. Any thoughts?
Old 11th May 2016, 08:37   #3228
Distinguished - BHPian

Whats the take on spicejet? I see random comments everywhere and hence wanted to ask here. Currently with a gain of 10% with one block of shares 75% with another block of shares. Should I hold on or is this a good time to dispose some of them?

And if I am interested to invest a small amount of money every month(say around 10k) which are the ones to look out for in the next month? Not expecting huge short term gains but something in the greener side would be great.
Old 11th May 2016, 08:52   #3229
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Do not invest in individual companies if you are not aware of what you are doing. Go sector wise. For example, a good idea in the short term is to look at an Auto SIP which may ride on the back of a good monsoon
If I look at my total portfolio over the last 15+ yrs. Stocks portfolio gains have far exceeded mutual fund gains in that same period. Net mutual fund gains are barely above index gains in the same period.

You are always likely to make more money from stocks but MFs are safer for investors.
Old 11th May 2016, 10:33   #3230
BHPian

After having invested in mutual funds for many years, I recently forayed into a few stocks (four in all) based on two simultaneous themes: 1) India's consumption growth, and 2) Make In India.

The stocks I have identified are not in any MF I own, I am planning to ramp-up so that stocks form around 10% of my overall portfolio over the next year.

What I am interested to know from you all is what are the go-to sources that people use these days to evaluate stocks. I am looking for analyst reports and some concise objective analysis. TIA.
Old 11th May 2016, 21:45   #3231
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowwhat? View Post
After having invested in mutual funds for many years, I recently forayed into a few stocks (four in all) based on two simultaneous themes: 1) India's consumption growth, and 2) Make In India.

What I am interested to know from you all is what are the go-to sources that people use these days to evaluate stocks. I am looking for analyst reports and some concise objective analysis. TIA.
Some very interesting discussions happen on the forums of valuepickr (the analysis part). For reports, one site which I have seen a lot of reports getting updated on is Rakesh Jhunjhunwala fan site (http://rakesh-jhunjhunwala.in/).

Hope this helps.

Just curious as to what made you move from mutual funds to stocks. I ask because some of my colleagues invest in mutual funds only and never try direct equity investing for variety of reasons. So curious as to what helped you make the move to direct stocks.

Did anyone apply for the Parag Milk Foods IPO. It closed today and I came to know of it around 3:00 PM only and ICICIDirect was not allowing to apply. The online boards are saying that it is slightly expensively priced for IPO and post listing could see a slight price adjustment which might be a good time to buy. Any views/opinions on this company?

Cheers,
S
Old 11th May 2016, 22:00   #3232
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
10% with one block of shares 75% with another block of shares
How do you decide which block to sell first? unless they are in two different folios. I think what you bought first will be sold first.
Old 11th May 2016, 22:08   #3233
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avingodb View Post
How do you decide which block to sell first? unless they are in two different folios. I think what you bought first will be sold first.
They are in two different accounts. Initially I brought some when the price was 44.5 and later made another purchase at a price of 71.2. Now thinking if I should unload some of the shares and move to a different sector or hold on expecting the price to increase further. Currently I am satisfied with the returns it has given, but dont want to shoot earlier than necessary. Hence, I wanted others views on the same. Apart from this I even have a small amount of Indigo which hasnt given much of a return yet since I brought them recently before it touched the four digit figures.

Over the last month, I had some extra money hence I had even got a few shares of Maruti Suzuki but this one is a long term investment. Not looking at any immediate gains though increased by 5% as soon as I brought them.
Old 11th May 2016, 22:18   #3234
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
They are in two different accounts.
where you have 70+ % profit, you could consider withdrawing your initial investment amount and leave the profit amount in equivalent number of shares for a real long term outlook and leave the 10% profit group as it is until diwali next domestic travel season, or until crude prices go up by 20+ $.

(One cousin of mine who is a long term investor uses that strategy, I am only a learner as yet!)
Old 12th May 2016, 00:02   #3235
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukhoi View Post
Just curious as to what made you move from mutual funds to stocks. I ask because some of my colleagues invest in mutual funds only and never try direct equity investing for variety of reasons. So curious as to what helped you make the move to direct stocks.
No, I am not moving from mutual funds to stocks. I am investing some of my additional funds over the next one year into a few stocks. Overall, stocks would only be worth 10% of my MF portfolio.

It is just that I zeroed in on a few stocks based on intersecting themes of domestic consumption, Make in India and good corporate governance and I realized that these stocks were not in my MF portfolio. Luckily I had a stockbroking account from 10 years ago with Bajaj Capital that I was able to put to use. Corporate governance is important to me because I don't want to keep my eye on the market all the time like I used to. Gone also is my tendency to bottom fish like I did with Satyam all the way down to Rs. 15. Actually I am taking it easy and investing into these stocks like I do with an SIP and only expecting returns after a few years.

What I sorely lacked were analyst reports and some objective analysis by a third party. Thanks for the links, I will surely check those out.
Old 12th May 2016, 10:59   #3236
Senior - BHPian

noob alert.

If one decides to start to work on the stock market, then he needs to open a demat account. What is the preferred service provider in this area? Icicidirect / motilaloswal, etc? Are there any pros and cons by going for a particular provider?
Old 12th May 2016, 11:09   #3237
BHPian

Just wanted to ask all the guys out here, How many of you earn your bread solely by income from stock market ?
Old 12th May 2016, 12:51   #3238
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
noob alert.

If one decides to start to work on the stock market, then he needs to open a demat account. What is the preferred service provider in this area? Icicidirect / motilaloswal, etc? Are there any pros and cons by going for a particular provider?
Well, here's an answer from another noob.

Banks are probably the worst for demat as they charge high annual maintenance fees. I had an ICICI three-in-one account a long time ago, but I closed it when I realized that I was losing quite a lot on all sorts of charges. Knowing ICICI, they may not have changed one bit in all this time.

Bajaj Capital once had an offer for a lifetime free demat account and I am glad I paid the thousand odd rupees to switch over. I haven't paid a single paisa for demat since. This coupled with brokerage of 0.25% for delivery makes me a happy camper.

As you can guess, my review is dated and I have no idea how others compare.
Old 12th May 2016, 15:44   #3239
Senior - BHPian

Thank you, nowwhat?

My research has lead me to the following conclusion

There is no complete all in one financial solution

1. For all mutual funds, recommendation is to invest directly with AMC. Open with fundsindia/mfuindia if required.
2. Open an account with motilal oswal for IPO's (It also supports other options)
3. Open an account with SAS online / zerodha for day trading because of low brokerage charges

stay away from ICICIdirect or hdfcsec or other 3 in 1 options because of their high transaction charges.

PS: noob alert again, correct me if I am wrong.
Old 12th May 2016, 16:01   #3240
BHPian

Is this the right time to invest in Dr.Reddy's?
http://www.business-standard.com/art...1200522_1.html

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks