76 - 100% -- Hey, I'm an i-banker!!! 81 6.60%
Voters: 1227. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 2nd September 2016, 17:43   #3331
BHPian

Re: Do you play the stock market

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
I would like to learn more about stock markets. I am a total newbie in this world, so any tips, pointers for starters will be much appreciated.

Right now I am also learning about mutual funds investments through fundsindia.com. Anyone using fundsindia?
I bought my first stock last month. Since I work for Infosys, that's the first one I bought. Sold this week for a loss of 15 rupees.

Equity is interesting but like everyone else is saying here, got to learn and practice...
Old 2nd September 2016, 17:56   #3332
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyncNest View Post
I bought my first stock last month. Since I work for Infosys, that's the first one I bought. Sold this week for a loss of 15 rupees.
May i know the reason for sale? Infy is a long term stock , short term uptrend looks capped in Infy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
I would like to learn more about stock markets. I am a total newbie in this world, so any tips, pointers for starters will be much appreciated.
Right now market seems quite high so would not request you to invest immediately . Suggest you to study sector wise and choose top 2 picks in each and invest SIP . Banks - Kotak & HDFC Bank , Housing Finance - HDFC and DHFL , NBFC - Capital First and Manappuram Finance etc.

Frankly im not a big fan of Mutual Funds , suggest you do your own research and invest as SIP on your favourite stocks. Play Safe
Old 2nd September 2016, 21:56   #3333
BHPian

Quote:
learn and practice...
Patience is also a part of learning in this field. I have learnt it the hard way. I have bought and sold Biocon at 230 and 245 respectively and Tata Motors for 255 and 265 respectively. Britannia for a margin of Rs 12 at 455 3 years back and I can go on and on. I am still not completely out of this habit too!

(these are purely information sake and no recommendations)

If you know you have bought a fundamentally good stock stick with it for 3 to 5 years and average and buy on dips if it goes more than 12-15% below. Read sectoral reports and understand concepts involved.

In the beginning you will have low risk appetite; if you have x amount of money, invest 50 percent at a point and see the movement for a week or two and then take a call on the remaining amount.

Disclaimer: I am no expert and have learnt it by doing and lost some money in the process too. So use what I said with a pinch of salt!
Old 3rd September 2016, 11:47   #3334
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avingodb View Post

In the beginning you will have low risk appetite; if you have x amount of money, invest 50 percent at a point and see the movement for a week or two and then take a call on the remaining amount.
!
What about IPOs? On icici direct, there's a page for listing IPOs. I was browsing and found a company delisted there. What happens if you buy stocks and company delists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karanraheja View Post
May i know the reason for sale? Infy is a long term stock , short term uptrend looks capped in Infy.
Was my first time. I wanted to learn to sell as well. What you said makes sense. Buy and forget for sometime. Like 2 years.

Do we have any apps on Android for brief reviews or suggestions on equity?

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 4th September 2016 at 15:36. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please use the multi-quote option (QUOTE+) while quoting and responding to multiple posts together. Thanks!
Old 3rd September 2016, 11:52   #3335
BHPian

Quote:
The more closer you are to a company personally, physically, and geographically, the more cautious you must be in dealing with its stock. Such closer companies should not be confused with stock picking by observing and studying our environment, which is a different subject.

You bought and sold Infosys within a month, hence it seems you are not clear whether you are a trader or long-term investor. If you are a long-term investor, you would not have sold within a month and if you are a trader, you would look for momentum stocks.

Last edited by murillo : 3rd September 2016 at 11:54.
Old 3rd September 2016, 11:59   #3336
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by murillo View Post

You bought and sold Infosys within a month, hence it seems you are not clear whether you are a trader or long-term investor. If you are a long-term investor, you would not have sold within a month and if you are a trader, you would look for momentum stocks.
Hi, I want to invest for longer duration. Don't know anything about the equity market. Learning curve is quite flat actually. Ali the sites I visit sound like they are written primarily for people who already know a lot about the equity market. Any simpler sites, like an app I can download on Android to go thru everyday?
Old 3rd September 2016, 12:14   #3337
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi, I want to invest for longer duration. Don't know anything about the equity market. Learning curve is quite flat actually. Ali the sites I visit sound like they are written primarily for people who already know a lot about the equity market. Any simpler sites, like an app I can download on Android to go thru everyday?
Reg. App on phone , i suggest moneycontrol as thats one of the best app's IMO.
Pls keep a time frame before investing. Long term investment is best. Im adding an Dec'15 article which shows returns equity gave for 15 years investment. Pls go through and get motivated

http://www.firstpost.com/business/th...d-2554200.html

Last edited by karanraheja : 3rd September 2016 at 12:20.
Old 3rd September 2016, 22:47   #3338
BHPian

Quote:
What about IPOs?
ON IPOs I have never been able to get initial allotment ever. And when a company delists or offers buyback, it is at a predefined price approved by regulators. And this happens at periodic intervals.

Last edited by avingodb : 3rd September 2016 at 22:52.
Old 9th September 2016, 18:14   #3339
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothatchaway View Post
Hi All,

The server of my full service online brokerage went down at around 1 PM today when I had a couple of intraday long positions open in the system. I was neither able to square off via my online trading account nor were they able to take my square off request over the phone since their internal terminal was down. As of 3 PM, when per their T&C, the brokerage suspends all margin trading and squares off open positions, the two positions had appreciated by 4% and .6% respectively, leaving me in the black. When contacted, was told by the brokerage trading desk (HDFC) that they are not able to comment what would happen to open positions (all customers) given that their servers are down.

My question is what may happen in such a scenario given that nobody was able to access positions for well over two hours when trades could have been squared off favorably or also for those whose position, at the cut off time was unfavourable to them (unlike me). Its the brokerages fault that their servers were down and as far as I know the stock exchange does not allow intraday positions to remain open after the day is over. In my case fortunately there was a rally which coincided with the server going down and the day ended on a high.

Any thoughts?
Please read this document
http://www.sebi.gov.in/cms/sebi_data...sibilities.pdf

Relevant lines quoted below

Pavan Duggal, advocate, Supreme Court, says, "Normally the broker contracts are one-sided in favour of the broker. However, the consumer can sue the broker under the Consumer Protection Act, 1986, for deficiency of service, in case the broker faults."
In addition, since the trading is in the electronic form, the consumer can sue the broker under Section 79 of the IT Act, 2000, for its role as a network service provider. Under this, they are liable to pay compensation up to Rs 1 Crore.
Old 9th September 2016, 19:08   #3340
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys, what's the current take on Maruti considering the chances of a split? I had got a few at 3600. Now that it has come a long way, is it a good time to buy some more or should I wait for the split? Can invest more money but don't want to screw up the profit I have made so far.
Old 9th September 2016, 23:11   #3341
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manduvindupondu View Post
I have a couple of questions:
1) Please suggest ways to understand the trends in the market.
2) How to identify midcaps which have the potential to become next Largecaps story
I may not be the best person to answer this query.Nonetheless,will give it a shot.
1. Trends can be understood using Chart movements of stock prices. You can read Jesse Livermore's books for more.
2. Scale of opportunity is a very important factor. Management Integrity,competency etc. also matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Guys, what's the current take on Maruti considering the chances of a split? I had got a few at 3600. Now that it has come a long way, is it a good time to buy some more or should I wait for the split? Can invest more money but don't want to screw up the profit I have made so far.
Stock split will only contribute to more liquidity without changing any business fundamentals.
Old 9th September 2016, 23:29   #3342
BHPian

Every time, I look at this thread "Do you play the stock market?", I cringe a little.

When you have close to a crore riding on the stock market in India, it no longer is a play. It is your hard earned savings... ...from the days you earned little, I mean I earned ₹1,200 a month as a "Software Engineer" with e BE in Computer Science in the early 90s and I was happy I even had a job.

Bottom-line is that I have learned the hard way that I am not an expert nor do I have the patience to believe in my own stock picks, so I leave it to the "so-called experts", and I can put my money where my mouth is. By the way, I am a guy who sold fundamental (IDSS from Dalal Street Journal) and technical analysis software (Metastock) during those heady days in the 90s.

Long story short, I invest in Mutual Funds these days and I am clinical about my investments.

PS: In case anyone is wondering about my antecedents, please note that I was the first to interview Sucheta Dalal after she was out of a job for exposing the 1992 Harshad Mehta scam. In case anyone wants to ask, she was a wreck having to deal with no office, no phones, God know's what else and a dork of a reporter, namely me, from over 30 years ago.

Last edited by nowwhat? : 9th September 2016 at 23:44.
Old 10th September 2016, 00:06   #3343
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowwhat? View Post
Bottom-line is that I have learned the hard way that I am not an expert nor do I have the patience to believe in my own stock picks, so I leave it to the "so-called experts",
Even the late Parag Parikh would be careful about trying to invest with a limited corpus of his own savings. Caution is a good thing in the markets where the best and fastest way to make a million is to start out with at least a billion dollars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowwhat? View Post
PS: In case anyone is wondering about my antecedents, please note that I was the first to interview Sucheta Dalal after she was out of a job for exposing the 1992 Harshad Mehta scam.
She was a really good reporter back then - lots of guts. Her moneylife magazine is a very interesting read except for one thing (one of the general interest columns written by a Dr.Hegde who thinks, among other things, that vaccines are harmful ..).

As a bonus - it features a regular column on driving by Veeresh Malik.

http://www.moneylife.in/author/veeresh-malik.html
Old 10th September 2016, 00:13   #3344
BHPian

Do you play the stock market

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post

She was a really good reporter back then - lots of guts. Her moneylife magazine is a very interesting read except for one thing (one of the general interest columns written by a Dr.Hegde who thinks, among other things, that vaccines are harmful ..).

As a bonus - it features a regular column on driving by Veeresh Malik.

http://www.moneylife.in/author/veeresh-malik.html

Moneylife also sells stock letters consisting their stock recommendations. Any idea about how good are these recommendations ?

Last edited by pgupta : 10th September 2016 at 00:18.
Old 10th September 2016, 01:29   #3345
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
She was a really good reporter back then - lots of guts. Her moneylife magazine is a very interesting
Thanks! It was a different me, different life back then in Mumbai for me, I somehow expected no reply to my post (but nevertheless make an impact), but I guess I still am naive.

After all these years, I still can't picture her (Ms. Dalal) out of my mind. Here was the person who had exposed the biggest scam in the oldest stock market in Asia, there she was frustrated because she was jobless, dependent and useless, all at the same time. Does anyone from the current generation even know her?

Most Viewed