Voters: 1228. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 17th September 2016, 06:30   #3361
Senior - BHPian

Re: Do you play the stock market

Quote:
Originally Posted by manduvindupondu View Post
Thanks for the context, nowwhat!
I am looking for midcap stocks which have the potential to breakout to the next league. Any suggestions? I am a believer in fundamental analysis.
Analysis is good but don't time the market. We all miss out on whatever multibagger it is.

Pick a company you know very well and stay invested in it over a long period of time, buy hold and periodically review to adjust investment levels (buy dips, maybe buy a minimum amount if the stock is on a high)

In small caps you can try sundrmbrak on NSE - a small but solid tvs group company, it has fetched me a decent xirr so far. But what works for me may not always work for you, entirely depends on the levels you enter the market and how long you stay invested.

As long as you're comfortable with your awareness of the company and its fundamentals, growth potential etc then buy. Leave over worrying too much about market levels.
Old 17th September 2016, 13:11   #3362
BHPian

Hi,

What is the usual trend. Stocks issued during IPO - do they gain or lose value in the short term?

Icici Pru IPO - being issued at 334 rupees. Soon after IPO is issued, does it fluctuate? Are there rules to prevent investors from selling soon after buying?
Old 17th September 2016, 13:55   #3363
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyncNest View Post
Hi,

What is the usual trend. Stocks issued during IPO - do they gain or lose value in the short term?

Icici Pru IPO - being issued at 334 rupees. Soon after IPO is issued, does it fluctuate? Are there rules to prevent investors from selling soon after buying?
Profit, Loss, fluctuation primarily depends upon valuation of the stock at IPO price. There are many secondary reasons as well like market conditions, growth prospects, industry type etc.

E.g. L&T Infotech is down from issue price though it offered good valuation while many overvalued stocks rule at still higher prices.
Old 18th September 2016, 00:21   #3364
BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

Are there rules to prevent investors from selling soon after buying?
If you are allotted in the IPO you can sell. However if you want to purchase on the listing day you will have to take delivery of the shares.
Old 18th September 2016, 21:23   #3365
BHPian

Tomorrow is ICICI Prudential IPO issue open date.
I am sure there will be a record over-subscription to the issue from Retail investors at the ceiling price of Rs. 334 per share.

Is it wise to go for one lot of Rs. 200,000 or multiple lots to increase of chances of bid ?
Old 19th September 2016, 04:11   #3366
BHPian

Hi,

When we sell few stocks of company x and buy few stocks of company y, does it have to be declared in IT returns of that year?

Case 1: bought and sold company x in the same year. Incurred loss
Case 2: bought and sold company x in the same year. Made profit
Case 3: bought company x last year and selling in this financial year. Incurred loss.
Case 4: bought company x last year and selling in this financial year. Made profit
Old 19th September 2016, 08:39   #3367
BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

When we sell few stocks of company x and buy few stocks of company y, does it have to be declared in IT returns of that year?

Case 1: bought and sold company x in the same year. Incurred loss
Case 2: bought and sold company x in the same year. Made profit
Case 3: bought company x last year and selling in this financial year. Incurred loss.
Case 4: bought company x last year and selling in this financial year. Made profit
Case 1 & 2: Both comes under short term capital loss and gain respectively (less than one year holding). Should file returns for both scenario's.
Case 3 & 4: Both comes under long term capital loss and gain respectively (more than one year holding). There is no tax liability for long term capital gains, but advisable to declare the same via returns.

Always file returns whether it is loss or profit. Especially short term loses can be carry forward to next FY.

Hope this helps!
Old 20th September 2016, 12:11   #3368
BHPian

Re: ICICI Pru IPO?

Is it worth investing in ICICI Pru IPO? Any research on the same?

Please advise.
Old 20th September 2016, 12:27   #3369
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Is it worth investing in ICICI Pru IPO? Any research on the same?

Please advise.
I am not hearing very good things about this, to be honest.

http://www.livemint.com/Money/u4uzDY...-on-Day-1.html

Huge listing size and currently lukewarm response. It is also being pushed aggressively by bank RMs which means the commissions must be unusually high. All typical signs of a soon to be dud product.
Old 20th September 2016, 17:20   #3370
BHPian

Need some inputs here.

I have been investing in Mutual Funds for some time now but no direct equity till now however would like to start investing in the equity market.

Since I am into a 9-5 job it would not be possible for me to participate in day trading and at the moment am looking for more long term investment, say 2-3 years.

I have come across some recommendation service providers like moneywork4me , paul assets but not sure how reliable or effective these are.

Can someone provide some inputs regarding an effective, realistic and reliable company which provides recommendation for long term equity investment ?

Since I am very new to direct equity investment would prefer to avail such services till I am able to study and get more know how on this field.

Thanks for your inputs!

..Cheers,
SD
Old 20th September 2016, 17:48   #3371
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
I am not hearing very good things about this, to be honest.

http://www.livemint.com/Money/u4uzDY...-on-Day-1.html

Huge listing size and currently lukewarm response. It is also being pushed aggressively by bank RMs which means the commissions must be unusually high. All typical signs of a soon to be dud product.
65 percent subscribed by Retail investors on day 2 and just one more day to go. Doesn't seem to be oversubscribing multiple times like other IPOs of current year.
Old 20th September 2016, 20:49   #3372
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwiftSD View Post
Need some inputs here.
I have been investing in Mutual Funds for some time now but no direct equity till now however would like to start investing in the equity market.
Since I am into a 9-5 job it would not be possible for me to participate in day trading and at the moment am looking for more long term investment, say 2-3 years.
If you are not in a position to track equities don't even try to buy and hold, let alone day trade. If you do buy figure out a company whose fundamentals you are absolutely aware of - eg: in the industry you are in.

My advice would be to review your portfolio of MFs and then add further investment in some / do other rebalancing of your portfolio (maybe that might involve adding a balanced or midcap, maybe revising allocation of your SIPs to reduce or increase the amount in a fund etc).
Old 20th September 2016, 21:34   #3373
BHPian

My honest opinion - Day trade is a pressure cooker. I wouldn't advise - however, I know people who made money doing day trading.
Not my cup of tea.
Now a days, I am doing options as I feel the market is over heated.
By options, I mean both Currency and Equity.
Any suggestions/ideas on options apart from the standard textbook options trading ones (Straddle, strangle, Iron condor to name a few) ?
Please fell free to chime in.
Old 21st September 2016, 14:04   #3374
BHPian

what happens in case of an IPO where the Retail Investors are over-subscribed and Non-retail under-subscribed ?

Does Retail investors get the additional quota from the shortfall of non retail (QIB and HNI) during allocation ?

Last edited by bnzjon : 21st September 2016 at 14:07.
Old 22nd September 2016, 10:52   #3375
J.Ravi

I booked profit in Reliance Industries.

Sold 80 Reliance @ 1090.

Will invest the sale proceeds in Franklin India Taxshield for getting deduction under section 80C from the income tax.

Most Viewed