Voters: 1228. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 21st October 2016, 19:04   #3391
Senior - BHPian

Re: Do you play the stock market

Quote:
Originally Posted by VindyWheels View Post
Sabsubs,

Yes, I am following Igarashi as my clients still have it. Personally I have a more concentrated portfolio and had exited Igarashi at 310 or so. I felt the run-up from 150 to 300 captured most of the re-rating and going forward there may not be more than 25% CAGR kind of return whereas stocks like CCL and Zen offered much better return possibilities. But if you have a 15 stock portfolio you can still hold it. The main growth is expected in FY16 and I am impressed with the management and the business fundamentals. Valuation is also not expensive.
Hi Vindy,
I am still holding on to Igarashi (though it is just a handful of shares that I had purchased.)
Purchased at 160. Current price 820. Wish I had put in a sizable chunk. Those were my initial days with stocks. :(
Old 21st October 2016, 20:24   #3392
BHPian

Any comments on the upcoming PNB Housing Finance IPO?
Seems to be aggressively priced.

After disappointing listing gains of L&T Infotech and ICICI Pru, I am not sure how this is going to be.

Have had a fantastic return from LIC housing bought in secondary market several years ago.
Old 1st November 2016, 13:08   #3393
J.Ravi

Today, I added the following scrips purely for dividend yield:

100 RECLTD @ 134.20 [current dividend yield: >12%]

100 PFC @ 123 [current dividend yield: >11%]

Last edited by J.Ravi : 1st November 2016 at 13:09.

Old 1st November 2016, 14:33   #3394
BHPian

Got an interesting forward in Whatsapp
1990 ...1KG gold = Maruti 800
2000....1KG gold = Esteem
2005....1KG Gold = Innova
2010....1KG Gold = Fortuner
2013....1KG Gold = BMW X1
2025....1KG Gold = may be a Private Jet

Sovereign Gold Bonds Scheme(https://www.nseindia.com/products/co.../sgbs/sgbs.htm) open till tomorrow(02-Nov). I have applied for few grams through Sharekhan.
Old 1st November 2016, 16:37   #3395
Senior - BHPian

Gold isnt actually all that good an investment - which is probably why people are reduced to recommending it through whatsapp forwards

https://freefincal.com/gold-is-riskier-than-stocks/
Old 2nd November 2016, 11:28   #3396
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
Today, I added the following scrips purely for dividend yield:

100 RECLTD @ 134.20 [current dividend yield: >12%]

100 PFC @ 123 [current dividend yield: >11%]
Where did you get the dividend yield numbers? It seems to be incorrect. REC dividend yield is 6.5% and PFC dividend yield is 5.7%

Both are excellent value buys.
SmartCat is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2016, 12:14   #3397
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Where did you get the dividend yield numbers?
From here: http://www.moneycontrol.com/stocks/m...ats/nsetopdiv/

Quote:
REC dividend yield is 6.5% and PFC dividend yield is 5.7%
Wrong.

In case of REC, the dividend paid during 2015-16 were ₹ 12 plus ₹ 5.10, totalling ₹ 17.10 per share of face value of ₹ 10, which works out to a dividend yield of 12.74 % for the market price I paid at ₹ 134.20. Please see here: https://www.nseindia.com/companytrac...symbol=RECLTD#

In case of PFC, the dividend paid during 2015-16 were ₹ 0.60 plus ₹ 4.50 plus ₹ 8.80, totalling ₹ 13.90 per share of face value of ₹ 10, which works out to a dividend yield of 11.30 % for the market price I paid at ₹ 123. Please see here: https://www.nseindia.com/companytrac...jsp?symbol=pfc

Quote:
Both are excellent value buys.
I have to agree on this. Just now, my order for further buying 100 RECLTD shares at ₹ 128 was executed! The dividend yield increased to 13.36 %!

Old 2nd November 2016, 12:29   #3398
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
Both PFC (26th Aug 2016) and REC (28th Sept 2016) gave a 1:1 bonus due to which share price halved. Moneycontrol is calculating dividend yield based on new share price and old dividend per share!

Moneycontrol.com data is inaccurate for many stocks. Always use www.screener.in

Quote:

In case of REC, the dividend paid during 2015-16 were ₹ 12 plus ₹ 5.10, totalling ₹ 17.10 per share of face value of ₹ 10, which works out to a dividend yield of 12.74 % for the market price I paid at ₹ 134.20. Please see here: https://www.nseindia.com/companytrac...symbol=RECLTD#

In case of PFC, the dividend paid during 2015-16 were ₹ 0.60 plus ₹ 4.50 plus ₹ 8.80, totalling ₹ 13.90 per share of face value of ₹ 10, which works out to a dividend yield of 11.30 % for the market price I paid at ₹ 123. Please see here: https://www.nseindia.com/companytrac...jsp?symbol=pfc
In the same links, check bonus declaration under "corporate action". So adjusted dividend per share for PFC is 13.9/2 = Rs. 6.95 per share and REC is 17.1/2 = Rs. 8.55 per share

When a 1:1 bonus is declared, face value remains same but number of outstanding shares doubles. The share price halves and so does dividend per share.
Old 2nd November 2016, 13:08   #3399
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
The share price halves and so does dividend per share.
Yes, I too got the dividend+bonus for both. The bonus shares become eligible for dividend next year only. Let us hope to get the maximum dividend yield for the bonus shares next year. I already have 400 shares of PFC and 300 shares of REC in my portfolio apart from the new buys.

Old 4th November 2016, 21:02   #3400
BANNED

Hi everyone.

I am an absolute noob/ a blank slate when it comes to stock markets, investments. I recently received an sms for a free seminar to help understand the basics, which sparked my interest.

But before I think of attending that, I would like to ask a strange question -

Why should one "not" invest in stock market?

Why do most people don't make good money in stock market?

I will do my homework, research before I even think of investing. And my apologies if the veterans find this question irrelevant, but this is the 1st question that came to my mind.
Old 4th November 2016, 21:24   #3401
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinhead
Hi everyone.

I am an absolute noob/ a blank slate when it comes to stock markets, investments. I recently received an sms for a free seminar to help understand the basics, which sparked my interest.

I will do my homework, research before I even think of investing. And my apologies if the veterans find this question irrelevant, but this is the 1st question that came to my mind.
You should not invest in the stock market directly if you can't devote time and effort for the research or if it's not worth your while.I'll recommend an index fund SIP or a mutual fund portfolio if you can't find your bearings in the market.

Look at the market as a place to preserve capital and purchasing power instead of an income source if you're not doing it professionally or if you don't have enough capital yet.

. Experienced investors make multibagger returns on risky investments.But they also allocate 1-2 % of total risk capital to 20-25 such ideas.

If you're young (20's) with no responsibilities and liabilities(credit card loan, car loan etc.) you can take more risk and go all in with your equity investments.

But first buy Health insurance and Life insurance to take care of personal risk.

If you're at the beginning of a career,business time is better spent building your human capital or your budding business and start learning about stock markets with a small holding.Then when you gain experience,capital,opportunity allocate substantial to a very good well researched idea. You'll get 1-2 special opportunities in a year if you keep your eyes and ears open. And repeat.

And finally you'll be an experienced investor when you learn to make profitable exits at the right time.

Last edited by drsingh : 4th November 2016 at 21:29.
Old 4th November 2016, 22:01   #3402
vsh
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinhead View Post
Hi everyone.

Come on, dont worry too much and start investing!! Not everyone makes money and equally not everyone loses money. Start small and get to know the markets. Start by investing in companies you know viz maruti, mahindra, heromotors etc(for bhpians)

Never hesitate to ask questions and a little patience and common sense are enough to be a profitable investor
Old 4th November 2016, 23:00   #3403
BANNED

Thanks a lot DrSingh, for the quick reply and really good advice. It does light up the path a bit.

"...a place to preserve capital and purchasing power instead of an income source.....". special thanks for this.

Im 30+ . Willing to allocate some time for research, and take it cautious and slow.

--

Thanks for the encouragement vsh. You read my mind . Automotive sector is where I will start.

Old 4th November 2016, 23:06   #3404
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinhead View Post
...Why should one "not" invest in stock market?

If you ask me, there is no reason why one wouldn't invest unless they don't try to learn even the basics. As a newbie, try to follow news (money control / NDTV) and see the recommendations by different agencies. You should learn to understand why did they suggest a stock.

Plus, some people suggest "paper trading" where you buy stocks virtually and follow the performance over a period of time. If you register in money control, please use the "Portfolio" feature where you can add stocks to your account and see the performance (you don't have to buy stocks though).

1. Please don't be a short term "trader" / investor. Don't put your fingers into Options / Futures.

2. Make sure the money you put into shares may never be required for the next 1-2 years. This gives you enough time to recover in case your buy price goes down

3. Learn to cut losses - if the stock goes down by 20% (as a benchmark), you should try to understand whether it's good to average (buy more at lower price to bring down your average purchase price) or exit. Take firm decisions on exit.

4. Never go with random comments on stocks. If you use Moneycontrol board, ALWAYS look for Platinum boarders with good followers. Check all their past recommendations and see how did those perform.

5. Never invest all your money into one stock or fund. Always split the amount and invest into multiple stocks / funds.

As someone suggested, even Mutual funds are a good way to invest.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 4th November 2016 at 23:08.
Old 6th November 2016, 21:10   #3405
BANNED

Thanks a lot swiftnfurious. All this advice will be really helpful.. This will help me go ahead and also keep me in check.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks