51 - 75% -- I'm an active trader. 201 16.38%
76 - 100% -- Hey, I'm an i-banker!!! 81 6.60%
Voters: 1227. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 16th March 2017, 14:02   #3511
Senior - BHPian

Re: Do you play the stock market

Phew, the Market and the timing.
After a gap of about 5 years, I re-entered into trading equity. Not day trading, but taking delivery and holding for a max 1-2 months.
Had got a strong tip on Filatex, and on further checking its financials, I realized it sure is trading at least 20 bucks below what its fair price should be. Entered at 76, and as is normally the case after I buy anything, it went down to 69-70.
Held it for a month and was planning to sell it off at a loss so that I can apply the D-Mart issue, and boom. Upper circuit at 81.
My target was 88, I got rid of them next day at 90 and it now trades at 118. All this in a weeks time
20% in a month - Not bad I would say. Just the lost additional notional profits which I am happy to ignore.

Entered two more scripts
Rolta @ 59.10
RComm @ 35.65

Lets see.

PS:When punters like me start re-entering the market, usually these are signs of a major correction coming soon

Last edited by vinit.merchant : 16th March 2017 at 14:06.
Old 16th March 2017, 16:35   #3512
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinit.merchant View Post

PS:When punters like me start re-entering the market, usually these are signs of a major correction coming soon
You are absolutely correct! People all around me are buying stocks! Any specific reason you started trading now? What is your time horizon for buying Rcom and Rolta? Are these stocks also based from some tip you got hold of?
Old 16th March 2017, 17:25   #3513
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
People all around me are buying stocks!
Not even surprised. Whenever Nifty hits a new high, people jump the bandwagon and pick up stocks recommended by friends, distant family and internet only to see their value melt when the market corrects.
Old 16th March 2017, 17:31   #3514
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
You are absolutely correct! People all around me are buying stocks! Any specific reason you started trading now? What is your time horizon for buying Rcom and Rolta? Are these stocks also based from some tip you got hold of?
Started trading because I had some spare cash (after a looong time) and I wanted to utilise that. Had sold off all my stocks to reduce the home loan when I bought property 4+ years back.

I already got rid of RComm at 38 today. 8% in a week is not bad I say.
Holding on to Rolta. Same source of tip + my little bit of studying them.

Both did not partake in the rally and are quite at their bottom range. Rcomm I exited purely because I expect markets to correct any time, else the immediate target was 42+.
Rolta I am holding on to. It is at quite a low price point and I do not see much downside even if market corrects. Maybe another 10% or so, but I expect to see 70+ on this counter. Not sure by when but I usually do not hold trading stocks for more than 3 months.

EDIT: Off all the scripts that I sold off 4 years back, the one that hurts the most is Jayant Agro. It was bought at 80 for long term and because of the property purchase, was sold off in 2 years at around 140ish. I was astonished to see it trading at 650 today, even after distributing dividends of 12.25 INR per share in last 1 year. In March last year, it was trading at 110 something.

Last edited by vinit.merchant : 16th March 2017 at 17:38.
Old 18th March 2017, 08:13   #3515
BHPian

Can gurus please advice me on MF investment? Since last 1 year, I have started re-investing in MF (all earlier investments sold off towards home loan).

Every month I keep aside some amount from salary, it goes towards weekly MF sip (in 5 different funds). Also I get yearly bonus from company. Should I immediately invest such lump sum income I get in MF? I past I tried to hold money for market to correct, but have always failed in it. So it it wise to invest in SIP + lump sum immediately as and when you get money in hand?

My MF investment plan is for long term (10+ years)
Old 21st March 2017, 09:45   #3516
BHPian

Anyone lucky with DMART IPO? I had applied for 150 shares but unfortunately no luck in IPO allocation. Seems Pre-market is going for 600 (up from allocation of 299) and it is a huge windfall for lucky ones.

Last edited by concorde24 : 21st March 2017 at 09:48. Reason: Price correction to 600
Old 21st March 2017, 09:56   #3517
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by concorde24 View Post
Anyone lucky with DMART IPO? I had applied for 150 shares but unfortunately no luck in IPO allocation. Seems Pre-market is going for 600 (up from allocation of 299) and it is a huge windfall for lucky ones.
Applied for five lots, didnt get one Same is the case with a colleague. Whoever got allotted will be hosting parties today. Its an official and legal 'Double your money' scheme
Old 21st March 2017, 10:36   #3518
BHPian

No luck here either, had applied for 5 lots :(
Old 21st March 2017, 11:02   #3519
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by techcoze View Post
Can gurus please advice me on MF investment? Since last 1 year, I have started re-investing in MF (all earlier investments sold off towards home loan).

Every month I keep aside some amount from salary, it goes towards weekly MF sip (in 5 different funds). Also I get yearly bonus from company. Should I immediately invest such lump sum income I get in MF? I past I tried to hold money for market to correct, but have always failed in it. So it it wise to invest in SIP + lump sum immediately as and when you get money in hand?

My MF investment plan is for long term (10+ years)
You can increase the value of SIP. Timing the market is difficult job, but given your time horizon is 10+ yrs, you can still do a lump sum purchase.

Refer to the MF thread below. Good discussion there.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ml#post4167250
Old 21st March 2017, 11:10   #3520
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Word on the street is that it will open a minimum 150 above the list price. Lets see.
This broke all records. Opened at a premium of a 100%.
I was one of the lucky one's to get 1 allotment, and needless to say, I exited at 584, making a healthy 95% in a span of 15 days.

What an opening.

PS: Enjoying my second innings in the stock market. I am lovin it !

Last edited by vinit.merchant : 21st March 2017 at 11:16.
Old 21st March 2017, 11:14   #3521
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Applied for five lots, didnt get one Same is the case with a colleague. Whoever got allotted will be hosting parties today. Its an official and legal 'Double your money' scheme
Applied for 6 lots, got 1. Recommended to a colleague and he got 1 lot as well. Party on!

Quote:
This broke all records. Opened at a premium of a 100%.
I was one of the lucky one's to get 1 allotment, and needless to say, I exited at 584, making a healthy 95% in a span of 15 days.
You don't it warrants a long-term holding?

Last edited by noopster : 21st March 2017 at 11:15. Reason: Added question
Old 21st March 2017, 11:19   #3522
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post

If it is going to come down a little, exiting and re-entering at a lower level would be good for the long term right? I did that with BSE. Exited at 1200 and re entered at 930. So that 270 buck profit was realised and even now, it hasnt gone back to those levels yet.

Ok, now that D-Mart did not happen to me, does anyone have any picks in the current market for short to medium term so that I can invest the cash I had blocked for D-Mart?

Last edited by audioholic : 21st March 2017 at 11:20.
Old 21st March 2017, 11:32   #3523
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Ok, now that D-Mart did not happen to me, does anyone have any picks in the current market for short to medium term so that I can invest the cash I had blocked for D-Mart?
We are talking about speculation here, so you know how things pan out. Add to that, the expected correction.

But to me, Rolta and Idea Cellular looks promising.
Idea has taken quite a beating in last 2 days. Has lost close to 20-25%. I am waiting for it to break below 90 and plan to enter at 85-87 levels for an immediate 10% return (within couple of weeks).

Honestly, I would prefer to keep a horizon in weeks, because of the impending correction which can come anytime. If you plan to invest for longer, then I would like to add that I have been advised by a few good guys to wait for a 10% correction in the market before entering.

Quote:
I would rather book the 100% returns and re-enter around 500 or maybe lower.
But thats just me. I have abandoned better ships because I failed to re-enter at lower levels.

EDIT: It is already trading at 40+ times earnings. Feel its euphoria that's keeping it at 600 levels. Ideal investing price, for me, would be 500 or below.
Maybe it can go to 700 but then not a wise decision to enter at current levels. LT investors should keep it for it is never coming below 400, forget 300.
But I believe in rotating money. 100% now, for me, is better than 120% a year down the line (of course you save on taxes if you sell after a year)

Last edited by vinit.merchant : 21st March 2017 at 11:53.
Old 21st March 2017, 12:01   #3524
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Applied for 6 lots, got 1. Recommended to a colleague and he got 1 lot as well. Party on!
wow Seth-ji. Make sure you write a Will so that this wealth is passed on to the next generation in an orderly manner.

Quote:
That one stock you can hold I guess, but not sure if buying from market @ Rs.600 is a good idea - even for long term. Currently trading at 60 times earnings. .
SmartCat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2017, 12:06   #3525
BHPian

Feeling lucky and happy.
Allotted 3 lots.
2 are off the shelf and one kept for long term.

Most Viewed