26 - 50% -- I have a few stocks. 550 44.79%
51 - 75% -- I'm an active trader. 201 16.37%
76 - 100% -- Hey, I'm an i-banker!!! 81 6.60%
Voters: 1228. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 20th May 2017, 04:44   #3631
BHPian

Re: Do you play the stock market

Although I didn't get an initial allotment, I did buy shares from the market @75 INR.

What do you guys think about it as a long term investment (since it is a Government holding)?

-Bhargav
Old 20th May 2017, 07:39   #3632
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane_Power View Post
Although I didn't get an initial allotment, I did buy shares from the market @75 INR.

What do you guys think about it as a long term investment (since it is a Government holding)?

-Bhargav
Here's a nice analysis of Hudco:
https://moatinvesting.blogspot.in/20...eview.html?m=1

Much will depend upon wherever the company can improve its fundamentals which appear weak now. But one thing is there. The company operates in a sector that is a focus area of the current government. There could be policy initiatives that could help this company.
Old 25th May 2017, 11:56   #3633
BHPian

I hold a trading account with Angel and I'm trying to sell a stock that split recently.

Surprisingly they tell me that it is not possible to sell the number of shares that I am placing the order for because the balance shares have not been credited to my account. So it is turning out that I'm trying to sell more number of shares than I actually hold. I find this weird because the stock has already split and is trading on the market with the new price, then why my holding is also not considered Y(original no. of shares) x Split ratio?

Is this normal? How many days does it usually take the balance shares take to be credited to my account?

-Bhargav
Old 25th May 2017, 13:28   #3634
ECM
BHPian

Check your demat status first,are those credited in your account? If yes they cannot refuse.
Old 25th May 2017, 13:33   #3635
ECM
BHPian

Just for TA(Tech Analysis)purpose I am showing one chart of BNF here-Intraday in which you can see the support it took last night(1) and fire up today(2) by breaking the triangle.Worth to watch.
Note- I am posting after years- in old days I used to attach pic file with my msg,no idea if rules have changed since then. In that case pardon me!
Attached Thumbnails
Do you play the stock market-screenshot_3.jpg  

Old 25th May 2017, 13:47   #3636
BHPian

A very basic question. I am new to stock trading, most of my investments are into mutual funds. Wanted to heard from you guys what is the recommended share broker to start off considering brokerage,UI, stability of the platform, annual charges ...etc (ICICI direct,Zerodha, Angel, HDFC securities, Sharekhan..etc are some of the names i hear)
Old 25th May 2017, 13:59   #3637
BHPian

BHPians, since we closely monitor the automobile market in India (from a different POV though), do you also invest in auto and auto ancillary companies? Which stocks do you like from this space?

Disc: I invested in Maruti and Tata recently, and holding old investments in Motherson Sumi and Minda Ind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kap04 View Post
Wanted to heard from you guys what is the recommended share broker to start off considering brokerage,UI, stability of the platform, annual charges ...etc
I've used Sharekhan, ICICI, HDFC and Zerodha and I strongly prefer Zerodha. It is the cheapest and offers most intuitive services.
Old 25th May 2017, 21:44   #3638
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonstop-driver View Post
BHPians, since we closely monitor the automobile market in India (from a different POV though), do you also invest in auto and auto ancillary companies? Which stocks do you like from this space?

Disc: I invested in Maruti and Tata recently, and holding old investments in Motherson Sumi and Minda Ind.
They have all run up a lot over the past 3 years trading at 30 or 40 times earnings. But industry growth rate is hardly 10 to 15%.

Right now, only Bajaj Auto and Hero Honda are trading at reasonable valuations. Tata Motors continues to be on my wait and watch list. Eicher Motors continues to grow its earnings at 30%, but is slightly expensive stock.
Old 25th May 2017, 21:57   #3639
Senior - BHPian

Among the smaller auto ancillary scrips I am happy with Sundaram Brake Linings (nse sundrmbrak) and amara raja batteries (amarajabat) to a slightly lesser extent

Sundaram has been an excellent value pick for me
Old 26th May 2017, 10:27   #3640
BHPian

Interesting. What your views on the recent surge in DRL and LED lighting in Indian automotive and mandatory AHO headlights in two-wheelers? Doesn't that offer a huge opportunity for Minda/ Lumax?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Sundaram has been an excellent value pick for me
Ditto. I'm also invested in Sundaram fasteners and most Sundaram group companies have been steady compounders.
Old 26th May 2017, 11:00   #3641
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
They have all run up a lot over the past 3 years ..
That's trending to be true for most other prominent sectors as well. I've been on the sidelines waiting for bears to return to start buying but with bulls at the helm, it's extremely dicey to go long as the stocks are at record high levels (with profit booking happening every other day).

Presently, I'm only slightly bullish on PSU banks and if I had the moolah i go short on realty/IT. It's a tricky situation presently with over valued stocks and bear run long overdue i think. is there any specific sector that indicates value to buy at present - swing trade or short term investment?
Old 26th May 2017, 11:04   #3642
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Interesting. What your views on the recent surge in DRL and LED lighting in Indian automotive and mandatory AHO headlights in two-wheelers? Doesn't that offer a huge opportunity for Minda/ Lumax?

Ditto. I'm also invested in Sundaram fasteners and most Sundaram group companies have been steady compounders.
Minda and Lumax sure - though Minda is priced quite well, had shot up to a thousand ++ and then dropped in value, steeply (the result of a stock split so normal / expected) - now on its way back up.

https://www.google.co.in/search?q=mi...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Lumax is around 1500 odd rupees compared to Minda .. being a not terribly rich man and liking to spread my investments a bit, I tend to pick stocks that are in the 300-800 rupee range.

Currently -

SUNDRMBRAK
SUNDRMFAST
UJJIVAN
GARWALLROP

This is besides my holdings in a few selected MFs.

I might add Minda sometime but I already have two auto ancillaries stocks and that's about enough. If I decide to exit one or the other I might look at Minda.
Old 26th May 2017, 11:56   #3643
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by wangdu View Post
Presently, I'm only slightly bullish on PSU banks and if I had the moolah i go short on realty/IT. It's a tricky situation presently with over valued stocks and bear run long overdue i think. is there any specific sector that indicates value to buy at present - swing trade or short term investment?
I'm actually a contrarian investor. I mostly invest in out of favor sectors and get out of sectors that are in favor. Even for a contrarian like me, PSU banks and PSU financial institutions are a no no. Cockroaches are still tumbling out.

The sectors that are in favor and fundamentally strong right now are housing finance and consumer finance. Pharma and IT are fundamentally strong sectors, but out of favor. PSU banking & infrastructure space is out of favor but also fundamentally weak.
Old 26th May 2017, 12:03   #3644
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Lumax is around 1500 odd rupees compared to Minda .. being a not terribly rich man and liking to spread my investments a bit, I tend to pick stocks that are in the 300-800 rupee range.
Curious, the price of the stock shouldn't matter since the return in percentage terms will be the same, no?

Besides, even if a stock has run up doesn't mean it is valued higher than its worth. Infact a good stock will keep making new highs as it appreciates.

Quote:
The sectors that are in favor and fundamentally strong right now are housing finance and consumer finance. Pharma and IT are fundamentally strong sectors, but out of favor. PSU banking & infrastructure space is out of favor but also fundamentally weak.
Completely agreed. A lot of strength in PSU banks comes from the ARC that RBI has been pushing for, but I think that's a fundamentally bad idea and will come to bite investors sometime in the future. It might appreciate until then but I find hard to invest in an idea I don't fully subscribe to.

Having said that, I too think Indian Pharma is going through a rough phase despite having excellent fundamentals.
Old 26th May 2017, 13:38   #3645
BHPian

Quote:
I'm actually a contrarian investor.
Quote:
Having said that, I too think Indian Pharma is going through a rough phase despite having excellent fundamentals.
I would say avoid the Auto sector completely. Valuations are very high, all the positive expectations are already priced in and the margin of safety for investing in them is less. Even I am of the opinion that Pharma and IT are the sectors which might appeal to value investors but with the overall market making record highs, I am a little scared to put my into them.

Bajaj Auto and Hero MotoCorp looks like a fair bet - but that is because the other auto stocks are trading at premium multiples, hence we feel they are reasonably valued.

My opinion - avoid putting more money into stock market. Keep on accumulating money. Wait for a correction - I have been waiting for 2 years now

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks