76 - 100% -- Hey, I'm an i-banker!!! 81 6.60%
Voters: 1228. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 8th August 2017, 16:25   #3781
BHPian

Re: Do you play the stock market

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
My tip for you would be - avoid investing on tips!
Totally agree on this!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tejas08 View Post
I would love to have some tips from the experts for a beginner like me.
There is an excellent thread for investing in shares of Automotive Sector. Though this post is specific to a particular sector but the ground rules remain the same.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ve-sector.html

It has a brilliant explanation on how to analyze a stock and make your decision. I would recommend to read it thoroughly.
Old 8th August 2017, 16:28   #3782
BHPian

Quote:
Tips as in learning tips and not stock tips.

Basically, what things to look at and what are the indicators for good stocks and all.
I am not an investor myself but do follow markets. My suggestion is 'Google' and 'Investopedia.com' are good to start off. From there you would obviously discover new sites and information.

I am more into commodities (even there I don't trade), so cannot say much about stock picking, but I believe and personally experienced that those with good enough grip about the broad direction of economy and industry are more successful in investing. I interact with investors regularly, so this is my personal experience.

Try to read articles from sites such as 'seeking alpha' or 'Knowledge @ Wharton' etc, which give some broad views and diverging opinions of various things, not necessarily related to any specific stock etc. By reading and observing many people you may get an Idea about what would be better way for you.
Old 8th August 2017, 16:31   #3783
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Tips as in learning tips and not stock tips.

Basically, what things to look at and what are the indicators for good stocks and all.
There's a nice thread by smartcat that you can start with.

There are some books that can give the basics. The easiest to understand + read that I have used is the one by Prasenjit Paul:

How to Avoid Loss and Earn Consistently in the Stock Market: An Easy-To-Understand and Practical Guide for Every Investor https://www.amazon.in/dp/1482850885/..._9LzIzbJ30GB3W

Then there are thousands of other books + websites on this subject of investing. But I guess, for a beginner Paul's book is really good. You could give it a try.

Happy investing.
Old 10th August 2017, 20:57   #3784
Senior - BHPian

Query 1

The market has crashed severely in last 3-4 days. All the blue-chip and quality stocks in my portfolio are giving negative returns (significantly negative). Hudco, Tata motors, ITC, etc you name it.

I entered in direct equity since May after studying the basics of market, initial investments through mutual funds. The news of SEBI tapping on shell companies has given market an excuse for much awaited correction after almost a 2 month positive rally!

Though I am not afraid of this situation as my horizon for holding my current portfolio is for long time, I was wondering what will be the trigger point to make the market move again in the positive direction.

Query 2

EDIT - I just checked my mail box and found an email from bse.ibbs@bseindia.com stating that I have not received any allocation for Cochin Shipyard. When I can expect a refund? Also for Cochin Shipyard, is it worth investing in it from retail market once it is listed for trading?

Query 3

I was checking my bank statement and a sum of money has been credited to my account with description as "ACH/Dividend". How to identify from which stock I have received this dividend?

Last edited by bluevolt : 10th August 2017 at 21:06.
Old 10th August 2017, 22:47   #3785
Senior - BHPian

@bluevolt - 3 : You will get a separate email from the company within few days regarding dividend payment. It will have transaction details.
Old 17th August 2017, 11:13   #3786
BHPian

Is there any dmat account provider who allow fully online IPO purchase? Earlier in sharekhan it was possible to buy IPOs online, but now we have to visit their branch to submit paper form for same.
Old 17th August 2017, 13:29   #3787
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by techcoze View Post
Is there any dmat account provider who allow fully online IPO purchase? Earlier in sharekhan it was possible to buy IPOs online, but now we have to visit their branch to submit paper form for same.
ICICI Direct allows online IPO purchase.
Old 17th August 2017, 23:02   #3788
Senior - BHPian

Is it possible to transfer my dmat holdings to a family member without any loss or tax implications? I'll be working for a finance company which needs detailed disclosures regarding your holdings and trading. So I was thinking if I could transfer the holdings to my Mother and be free from the hastle.
PS: The company doesn't have any restrictions on trading by parents.
Old 17th August 2017, 23:14   #3789
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Is it possible to transfer my dmat holdings to a family member without any loss or tax implications? I'll be working for a finance company which needs detailed disclosures regarding your holdings and trading. So I was thinking if I could transfer the holdings to my Mother and be free from the hastle.
PS: The company doesn't have any restrictions on trading by parents.
I guess you can gift them. AFAIK, gifts to blood relatives are not taxed, so should be fine. It is a good idea to get a gift deed made to avoid any hassles later.

For transferring the shares, you will need to submit a delivery slip with details of your mother's demat account to your demat account provider. Similarly, your mother will need to notify her demat provider of such a transfer being initiated.
Old 17th August 2017, 23:20   #3790
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is there any dmat account provider who allow fully online IPO purchase?
I have used HDFC Securities, Kotak Securities and Axis Direct to apply IPOs. It's a matter of just few clicks

There is another way of applying IPO using Savings account of some banks. I know it is possible with HDFC Savings account. You need to provide your full demat account number to apply IPO using Savings account. While visiting Zerodha office sometime back, they suggested me this procedure. In fact, Zerodha will show the full account number that needs to be used while applying for IPO.
Old 18th August 2017, 00:53   #3791
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
All 3 in 1 accounts will allow you to apply for IPO online.

Read here - http://www.chittorgarh.com/article/b...tock_market/7/
Old 18th August 2017, 08:08   #3792
BHPian

I am planning to close my old Sharekhan dmat account. Is it possible to transfer shares and mutual funds from Sharekhan to angel broking ?
Old 18th August 2017, 09:47   #3793
BHPian

Sikka has resigned today.
What is the outlook on Infy now? Good buy at 950 or below?>
Old 18th August 2017, 11:58   #3794
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avingodb View Post
Sikka has resigned today.
What is the outlook on Infy now? Good buy at 950 or below?>
This it's a good buy as it should rebound next week.
Old 18th August 2017, 12:04   #3795
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabret00the View Post
This it's a good buy as it should rebound next week.
Letting Infosys revert back to a family and friends run “business” meant to be passed on as an inheritance (remember “assistant to the chairman” role for NRN’s son) will erode its value to the extent that I would recommend dumping it.

It is already reeling due to several H1B related measures and only just started to innovate on something other than cheap coder labour in bulk quantities after Sikka came on board, and now those initiatives are likely to founder once more.

I personally don’t want a single penny of mine in Infy stock and hope MFs start selling it. Any MF with a high exposure to this soon to be penny stock will pay for it.

Edit - some hope exists as the Infy board has decided to repudiate Narayanamurthy comprehensively. He will remain a significant irritant though, possibly an even louder one, going forward.

http://m.thehindubusinessline.com/in...cle9822324.ece

Last edited by hserus : 18th August 2017 at 12:29.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks