51 - 75% -- I'm an active trader. 201 16.37%
76 - 100% -- Hey, I'm an i-banker!!! 81 6.60%
Voters: 1228. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 3rd June 2019, 18:56   #3976
BHPian

Re: Do you play the stock market

Guys,

Can anyone confirm what is the dividend eligibility criteria with respect to selling on or after ex-dividend date, record date?

I believe TCS ex-dividend date is tomorrow, i.e. 4th June. Not sure what the record date is.

I want to sell some of my TCS stock. Would I be eligible for dividend on those shares if I sell tomorrow?

Thanks!!
Old 3rd June 2019, 20:18   #3977
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartCat View Post
Low PE, Low PBV, high dividend yield - this is the classic definition of value stocks, as explained by Benjamin Graham. These days, stocks trading at 50 PE is described as "value" because their profits are growing at 40% per year.

Even at 4% yield, you can pick up solid brands like CASTROL INDIA. The idea is to generate 10% to 15% plus capital appreciation and 4 to 6% yield. Net net, you should be able to generate 15 to 18% returns over the long term.
You can’t actually pick Castrol at 4% dividend yield.
Old 3rd June 2019, 22:40   #3978
BHPian

1. After a year of buying shares for the long term, I now want to start intra- day trading for a couple of days. Requesting active day traders to share some links regarding volatility indicators and specific companies to invest in ( if any )

2. A casual calculation today revealed that my broker,HDFC sec will rip me off big time:

Assume I wish to buy 100 shares of rs. 705 each. (70500)

The margin required as per their calculator is rs. 21150 + brokerage of rs.500.
The brokerage they charge is about .5% plus various taxes which bring it to .7% @ rs.500.

If I'm (very) lucky, the share price rises to 715rs. I have a profit of 1000rs out of which 500 goes out as brokerage. Leaving me with only 500.

My question is - I understand the margin facility but is this much brokerage normal or should I switch to Zerodha immediately?
Old 3rd June 2019, 23:02   #3979
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayjaycleoful View Post
1. After a year of buying shares for the long term, I now want to start intra- day trading for a couple of days. Requesting active day traders to share some links regarding volatility indicators and specific companies to invest in ( if any )

2. A casual calculation today revealed that my broker,HDFC sec will rip me off big time:

Assume I wish to buy 100 shares of rs. 705 each. (70500)

The margin required as per their calculator is rs. 21150 + brokerage of rs.500.
The brokerage they charge is about .5% plus various taxes which bring it to .7% @ rs.500.

If I'm (very) lucky, the share price rises to 715rs. I have a profit of 1000rs out of which 500 goes out as brokerage. Leaving me with only 500.

My question is - I understand the margin facility but is this much brokerage normal or should I switch to Zerodha immediately?
If your activity will be good - both in terms of notional and number of orders executed, you should switch to a discount broker for sure.

But, but, but ..... no discount broker will give you the leverage that a full scale broker MAY give you. My earlier broker did and the brokerage was reasonable and hence I stayed with him for a long time. I have stopped trading altogether due to employment policies/rules at my current company. That leverage (backed by the collateral of my long term holdings obviously) was good enough for me to ignore the difference in brokerage.

So do calculate and then decide.

But the fact of the matter is also this: These corporate brokerages that are backed by large banks are a ripp off, regardless of the type of trading you do. SBI, HDFC, ICICI, etc - they are the most expensive.

If you don't want to go with a discount broker, pick a full scale broker who is not a bank.

Quote:
Even at 4% yield, you can pick up solid brands like CASTROL INDIA. The idea is to generate 10% to 15% plus capital appreciation and 4 to 6% yield. Net net, you should be able to generate 15 to 18% returns over the long term.
Sorry to disagree and perhaps sounding but - CASTROL INDIA has been a net Value Destroyer in the last 3-4 years. Look at their EV or Share Price and you will understand what I am saying. So the high yield of Castrol India is not useful at all. I am saying this from personal experience.

Unless - your cost of acquisition is very very low as you would have bought it very early.

Last edited by SmartCat : 3rd June 2019 at 23:23. Reason: Merged back to back posts
Old 3rd June 2019, 23:29   #3980
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayjaycleoful View Post
For derivatives traders and intraday cash market traders, Zerodha is a no-brainer. Use MIS/Cover order for higher leverage and automatic closure of positions by end of the day.
https://support.zerodha.com/category...erodha-provide

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilch View Post
Sorry to disagree and perhaps sounding but - CASTROL INDIA has been a net Value Destroyer in the last 3-4 years. Look at their EV or Share Price and you will understand what I am saying. So the high yield of Castrol India is not useful at all. I am saying this from personal experience. Unless - your cost of acquisition is very very low as you would have bought it very early.
Yeah, Castrol is stuck in a range for almost 5 years now. Stocks sometimes do that. Reliance and HUL too were stuck in a range for almost 10+ years, before they started running again. But profits have doubled in those 5 years, and long term profit growth is around 10% CAGR.

Last edited by SmartCat : 3rd June 2019 at 23:30.
Old 7th June 2019, 19:51   #3981
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrari1976 View Post
After having tried most of the valuation methods to identify stocks with highest return potential, I eventually ended up developing my own model. I call it "Expectations Value Model".

I have a started a blog on this and you can read it at: https://expectationsvalue.blogspot.com

Do read and let me know your feedback.
Ashish, I did go through your blog - that is good model, solves a huge problem that any investor has - when to sell a stock?

But why 1 year ? Shouldn't it be when the stock misses the expectation when results are announced (ie, every quarter). So instead of always a year, it can vary from 3 months to until the stock misses the expectation. Why I say this is because, there could be a lot of value destruction in the 9 months if the stock misses expectations in the first quarter after your shortlist.

Or your algorithm might have found thats too much of churn Thoughts?
Old 8th June 2019, 11:07   #3982
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravindkumarp View Post
But why 1 year ?

Or your algorithm might have found thats too much of churn Thoughts?
The idea is to invest in the best possible opportunities every year. Selling is a precursor to buying better opportunities that year. There will be situations when a company is re-selected by the model, and in that case, we continue to hold, but it rarely happens.

Typically, companies that meet the expectations are rewarded handsomely and the increase stock price takes the expectations even higher which moves them to improbable territory.

Quarterly results do not tell a true story. Most of the companies do not disclose consolidated results which makes it even more to judge the performance. There will be exceptions, but remember, we also filter the fundamentally strong companies to reduce such occurrences.

The only reason when we will sell mid-year is a disclosed fraud. Typically a price action (sudden fall >15% in a stock with no rebound) re-confirms the fraud.
Old 11th June 2019, 12:23   #3983
Senior - BHPian

There is no respite in the stock market even after general elections. Many of my direct stock investments are under losses especially DHFL. Bought it for an average price of 650, this stock has hammered my portfolio like anything.

Few of the stocks that are giving me heavy negative returns (unrealised) and I am not sure of the strategy that needs to be followed in these circumstances.

-> DHFL
-> AB capital
-> Dhampur sugar
-> Indiabulls housing finance
-> Ginni filaments
-> RCF
-> HUDCO
-> D-Link
-> ITC
-> Maruti
-> Tata motors
-> MRPL
-> PTC

Entire Portfolio down and all red since a long time now.

Some people are right, FDs are best for investments!
Old 11th June 2019, 12:33   #3984
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
Entire Portfolio down and all red since a long time now.

Some people are right, FDs are best for investments!
Sorry to be a bit blunt here, this is typical Human mentality , we post only our losses, why dont we post when we get a 5 bagger or a 10 bagger? The Index is at its peak but all stocks have taken a beating. It would be the same way for a year atleast. We need to be mentally prepared for such a phase when we invest in stocks.
Old 11th June 2019, 19:03   #3985
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yeah, Castrol is stuck in a range for almost 5 years now. Stocks sometimes do that. Reliance and HUL too were stuck in a range for almost 10+ years, before they started running again. But profits have doubled in those 5 years, and long term profit growth is around 10% CAGR.
Don't you think its under performance is more due to the future outlook?

With EV's knocking the door of the fossil fuel powered cars, and will, most certainly, replace them over a decade or more, would it not bring a huge negative impact to Castrol?
Old 11th June 2019, 22:15   #3986
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinit.merchant View Post
Don't you think its under performance is more due to the future outlook? With EV's knocking the door of the fossil fuel powered cars, and will, most certainly, replace them over a decade or more, would it not bring a huge negative impact to Castrol?
EVs replacing fossil fuel powered cars - not sure if the market is pricing it in. Reliance Industries stock has not been affected.

Personally, I think EVs replacing fossil powered vehicles in the next decade is all noise. If it was really the case, RIL/IOC/BPCL/HPCL wouldn't be investing tens of thousands of crores in increasing refining capacity. Just do a Google search for "<refiner name> expansion" and you will get an idea.
SmartCat is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2019, 09:35   #3987
BHPian

Hi. I am investing in stocks for the long term. The brokerage charged by IDBI Bank on purchase/delivery of stocks is quite high in my opinion. Any other recommended Broker/Bank which charges less/no brokerage for taking Delivery of the shares. I am just accumulating the stocks and not selling them at all.
Old 12th June 2019, 09:36   #3988
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi.mariner View Post
Hi. I am investing in stocks for the long term. The brokerage charged by IDBI Bank on purchase/delivery of stocks is quite high in my opinion. Any other recommended Broker/Bank which charges less/no brokerage for taking Delivery of the shares. I am just accumulating the stocks and not selling them at all.
Zerodha charges no brokerage at all for delivery of shares.
Old 12th June 2019, 12:19   #3989
BHPian

I have recently started investing in stocks. My portfolio is as follows:

Reliance Industries: 145 at average price of 1367
Hindustan Unilever: 30 at average price of 1825
Manappuram Finance: 357 at average price of 140
JIYAECO: 1000 at average price of 79.7

I am planning to hold these for 3 years. What do the experts think? Anything fundamentally wrong with these companies or the sectors they are in?
Old 12th June 2019, 15:23   #3990
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post

-> DHFL
-> AB capital
-> Dhampur sugar
-> Indiabulls housing finance
-> Ginni filaments
-> RCF
-> HUDCO
-> D-Link
-> ITC
-> Maruti
-> Tata motors
-> MRPL
-> PTC!
Surely, a case of poor selection. And ignoring the management and business environment. Only exception being ITC. And AB Capital, if AB means Aditya Birla. Maybe, PTC too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi.mariner View Post
I use Geojit. I dont bother with the brokerage. If transactions are above some limit, the brokerage is about 0.06% or so. While delivering, there is a fixed charge for each script/ delivery. All my transactions are delivery based, with holding for a year or more. Please check the site for exact service charges. They also charge some 4-500 for DP AMC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KL01toKA03 View Post
I have recently started investing in stocks. My portfolio is as follows:
Reliance Industries: 145 at average price of 1367
Hindustan Unilever: 30 at average price of 1825
Manappuram Finance: 357 at average price of 140
JIYAECO: 1000 at average price of 79.7

I am planning to hold these for 3 years. What do the experts think? Anything fundamentally wrong with these companies or the sectors they are in?
Hope I don't sound rude, and I don't intend to be, but when you hold for long term, you should be convinced before you buy. So, you shouldn't be asking now.
I dont have any Reliance group shares, because I feel they are too dependent on the family. Manappuram has no unique business or a brand equity. And thanks for that third company. Never heard of it. Nor knew of that line of business. I'll do my research. A quick Google search shows absence of entry barriers for new entrants, and I'm unable to identify how the product helps its customers. YMMV. I have not evaluated Jiyaeco.

Last edited by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR : 12th June 2019 at 15:25.

Most Viewed