76 - 100% -- Hey, I'm an i-banker!!! 81 6.60%
Voters: 1228. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 29th July 2020, 23:01   #4366
BHPian

Re: Do you play the stock market

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnS_12 View Post
Coming to the question, whether Vodafone will stick around or shut shop then you have to see their approach towards the AGR issue. Unlike Airtel they are no longer contesting the amount of AGR been calculated and are asking for 15 year period to pay it and have already paid around 8k crore of the total dues pending till date. As per my thinking, a company which had plans to shut shop would have never made such a payment in the first place.
Thanks a lot @SnS_12. You explained it very neatly and in detail.

Hope the hearing does not get extended after 10th august and a final deal is reached.

Do you think averaging down the buying price will be a good idea at current scenario or shall wait till next hearing? I bought at 10.05/ share.
Mynameis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2020, 09:47   #4367
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mynameis View Post
Thanks a lot @SnS_12. You explained it very neatly and in detail.

Hope the hearing does not get extended after 10th august and a final deal is reached.

Do you think averaging down the buying price will be a good idea at current scenario or shall wait till next hearing? I bought at 10.05/ share.
Well, its currently trading at a little over 8 levels, which is still lower then the face value.

Your buying pattern should depend on what is your ultimate target. If you are planning to exit early say by waiting for a favourable verdict and making a 50% profit by exiting at 15 levels you can accumulate more.

No one can say with certainty what will actually happen tomorrow and you always have to take a calculated risk. So you have to be patient and ultimately believe in what you’re doing and not just go on basis what someone suggests as its your money.

As I have mentioned a few posts back on this thread, I try to do my resarch on every stock I invest in but ultimately its a gamble and I am investing a sum of my saving with a mindset that even if the investment goes down to zero if will not affect me financially or mentally as its just another form of gambling at the end of the day
SnS_12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2020, 09:55   #4368
Senior - BHPian

The recovery from the low-level scare on 29th March to now has been rather quick unlike the landslide predicted by many. I guess many have made a lot of money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
With the complete economy slowed down, I have a feeling this bull market is because of many people who don't want to miss the boat investing in (could be some other factors as well). The real situation will emerge as companies start announcing their earnings, and the real state of economy is revealed. So, you may still get that opportunity in the near future.
Require your expert opinion sir, is the valuation of sensex at realistic levels as on today?
Old 30th July 2020, 10:23   #4369
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsetgo08 View Post
Require your expert opinion sir, is the valuation of sensex at realistic levels as on today?
I am not an expert on this. But one thing I learnt was there is no way to correctly judge the market or time it. So, I have started following asset re-allocation method (thanks to SmartCat for this). I have set myself a split of 50% equity and 50% debt and once in 3 months re-balance my portfolio to reset to this split. With this method, I just don't worry if the market is undervalued or overvalued.
graaja is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th July 2020, 10:30   #4370
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am not an expert on this. But one thing I learnt was there is no way to correctly judge the market or time it. So, I have started following asset re-allocation method (thanks to SmartCat for this). I have set myself a split of 50% equity and 50% debt and once in 3 months re-balance my portfolio to reset to this split. With this method, I just don't worry if the market is undervalued or overvalued.
Another noob question, assest re-allocation, does it mean higher percentage allotted to debt when the stock prices are high and vice-versa when the stock prices are low?

It would be great if someone can guide me to the relevant post by SmartCat which has more information on asset reallocation.
Old 30th July 2020, 13:21   #4371
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsetgo08 View Post
Another noob question, assest re-allocation, does it mean higher percentage allotted to debt when the stock prices are high and vice-versa when the stock prices are low?

It would be great if someone can guide me to the relevant post by SmartCat which has more information on asset reallocation.
It does not mean changing the allocation % based on market value. But maintaining the same allocation irrespective of market value.

Here is the post by SmartCat on asset balancing.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shift...ml#post4802345 (The Mutual Funds Thread)

His post explains the situation where one invests every month. In case you already have a corpus and are not doing any SIPs, you would re-balance by redeeming units from one category and investing in the other.
graaja is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2020, 10:30   #4372
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
If anyone in planning to invest in RBI's Sovereign Gold Bonds - check out buying from the secondary market rather than buying directly from RBI. The older bonds usually trade at a discount to whatever rate the current RBI bonds are offering.
The Sovereign Gold Bond Scheme 2020-21-Series V will be opened for subscription from August 3-7, 2020 and the issue price has been fixed at Rs 5,334 per gram. I missed out on subscribing to the IV series at a lower issue price! I'll investing in the upcoming series but before that wanted to understand more about buying them from the secondary market. Are older bonds traded? Thought there is a lock in period!

Last edited by greenoval : 2nd August 2020 at 10:39.
Old 2nd August 2020, 10:34   #4373
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenoval View Post
Are older bonds traded? Thought there is a lock in period!
All bonds (government bonds, corporate bonds, gold bonds) have a fixed tenure (Eg: 5 years, 10 years, 20 years etc), but they can also be traded like stocks. When you buy a bond of fixed tenure and trade it like a stock, the price you get depends on demand and supply for that security at the time.

In case of sovereign gold bonds, think of it as a 7 year product - because liquidity for trading it (like a stock) will be poor.
SmartCat is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2020, 11:00   #4374
BHPian

Quote:
Are older bonds traded? Thought there is a lock in period!
If you are referring to SGB, then yes they are traded. For a snapshot of old SGB prices on NSE, you can refer to
https://www1.nseindia.com/live_marke...ch.htm?cat=SGB
Simhi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2020, 11:01   #4375
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartCat View Post
All bonds (government bonds, corporate bonds, gold bonds) have a fixed tenure (Eg: 5 years, 10 years, 20 year

In case of sovereign gold bonds, think of it as a 7 year product - because liquidity for trading it (like a stock) will be poor.
Thanks for clarifying. Also, wanted your opinion on the type of gold investment best suited for those with a longer investment horizon (6-8 years) - gold bonds, gold ETFs or gold mutual funds?

Last edited by greenoval : 2nd August 2020 at 11:14.
Old 2nd August 2020, 11:30   #4376
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks for clarifying. Also, wanted your opinion on the type of gold investment best suited for those with a longer investment horizon (6-8 years) - gold bonds, gold ETFs or gold mutual funds?
If you have a such a long horizon, there is no contest - SGB wins hands down. You get 2.5% pa interest and exemption from paying long term capital gains tax. Remember that you need to pay long term capital gains tax on Gold MFs, ETFs and physical gold

Quote:
It does not mean changing the allocation % based on market value. But maintaining the same allocation irrespective of market value. Here is the post by SmartCat on asset balancing.
I'm tentatively and slowly adding Gold to the mix too.

If we go just by history: a 33% Equity, 33% gsec funds and 33% gold allocation has offered the best risk adjusted return. Long term returns are in high teens, with very little portfolio drawdown (fall in value). That's because whenever equities crash, gold goes up. When equities shoot up, gold does not fall much.

But the only problem with allocating serious amount of capital to Gold is that we don't know the fair value of Gold. Also, if we look at history, Gold has been stuck in a broad range for up to a decade, before moving up again. So its a tricky investment. Experts suggest 10% allocation to Gold though.

Last edited by SmartCat : 2nd August 2020 at 11:34.
SmartCat is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2020, 11:44   #4377
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simhi View Post
If you are referring to SGB, then yes they are traded. For a snapshot of old SGB prices on NSE, you can refer to
https://www1.nseindia.com/live_marke...ch.htm?cat=SGB
Thanks for link. Had a cursory look, the old SGB prices are lower than the price fixed by RBI for the upcoming series. Now in two minds, should I buy from the secondary market (also, gives me the chance to wait for any minor correction) or just go ahead and subscribe to the new one!
Old 2nd August 2020, 13:07   #4378
BHPian

Quote:
Now in two minds, should I buy from the secondary market
Liquidity is an issue in secondary market. If you are patient enough, you can buy at corrections.
Simhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2020, 14:21   #4379
BHPian

Quote:
The Sovereign Gold Bond Scheme 2020-21-Series V will be opened for subscription from August 3-7, 2020 and the issue price has been fixed at Rs 5,334 per gram. I missed out on subscribing to the IV series at a lower issue price! I'll investing in the upcoming series but before that wanted to understand more about buying them from the secondary market. Are older bonds traded? Thought there is a lock in period!
Do note that the 2.5% interest rate is on the "face value". What this means is that if the original price of the gold bond was say 3000 Rs then the annual interest you get will be 2.5% on Rs 3000 while when you buy a new bond at say Rs 5300 then it will be 2.5% on 5300.

This explains the small difference in price of old bonds and new bonds. But if you are not concerned about the interest and only want the gold price appreciation then you can go for it but there is no "arbitrage".
anandhsub is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2020, 10:35   #4380
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartCat View Post
If you have a such a long horizon, there is no contest - SGB wins hands down. You get 2.5% pa interest and exemption from paying long term capital gains tax...
Quote:
Originally Posted by anandhsub View Post
Do note that the 2.5% interest rate is on the "face value"...
OK, am I missing something?
2.5% pa interest rate is even lower than current FDs. So what's the reason for investing in SGBs?
PS; Not very literate in SGBs.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks