76 - 100% -- Hey, I'm an i-banker!!! 81 6.60%
Voters: 1228. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2020, 15:28   #4411
Senior - BHPian

Re: Do you play the stock market

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/77673023.cms

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com...w/77673130.cms

The RBI governor has warned of a market correction iminent. However I see the current upswing as simply the market slowly working up to pre-covid levels. Is it not so? Or should we look at booking profits in the coming weeks to prepare for this correction?

Drive on,
Shibu.
Old 30th August 2020, 14:54   #4412
BHPian

Does it make sense to invest in future retail tomorrow morning?
Old 30th August 2020, 16:25   #4413
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartCat View Post
My screener.in settings are available here - there are 3 sets of stocks under Growth, Value and Dividend Yield investment strategies. Each category of stocks have sub-categories (Largecap, midcap & smallcap).
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shift...ml#post4789176 (Do you play the stock market)
Very Interesting info and logic for the same. Learnt something new today !!!
BTW do u have a separate screener in place for Banks?

Nowadays everybody talks about price action and momentum investing? Any tips (links) to spot and exit the same?

Anyone using MarketMojo and their experience so far? It looks like they give more weight age to technicals as compared to fundamentals while determining their list of Mojo stocks.

Last edited by dpkbehera : 30th August 2020 at 16:28. Reason: Additional info
dpkbehera is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th August 2020, 17:06   #4414
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibujp View Post
The RBI governor has warned of a market correction iminent. However I see the current upswing as simply the market slowly working up to pre-covid levels. Is it not so? Or should we look at booking profits in the coming weeks to prepare for this correction?
In the sense that market has dulled, the guv'nor is right. April to date is a big black out in revenues for most businesses. But the govt. Policy has drastically changed. Make in India, defence procurement, Atmanirbhar Bharat, and of course, the constant sabre rattling by China, Pakistan, Turkey (with covert support of Russia) means friends have turned foes and foes have become friends. Means, cross border trade is something to be frowned.

Did you notice the NPS funds trickling into the market?

So, a sweeping generalisation is out of question.

Last edited by ajmat : 30th August 2020 at 18:20.
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2020, 18:15   #4415
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
In the sense that market has dulled, the guv'nor is right. April to date is a big black out in revenues for most businesses. But the govt. Policy has drastically changed. Make in India, defence procurement, Atmanirbhar Bharat, and of course, the constant sabre rattling by China, Pakistan, Turkey (with covert support of Russia) means friends have turned foes a d foes have become friends. Means, cross border trade is something to be frowned.

Did you notice the NPS funds trickling into the market?

So, a sweeping generalisation is out of question.
Hmm...good points. Retail participation is at an all time high. However can we assume this is because of good fundamental improvement of stocks or the general "buy low, great discounts abound" sentiment?

Is the NPS participation a good or bad thing? I mean they will generally have a longer investment time frame and overall growth may not be impacted by a dip in the short term.

Drive on,
Shibu
shibujp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2020, 19:40   #4416
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hmm...good points. Retail participation is at an all time high. However can we assume this is because of good fundamental improvement of stocks or the general "buy low, great discounts abound" sentiment?
A majority of new entrants I know of are purchasing low priced but not necessarily discounted quality stocks. Having entered or re-entered the market after the March crash, the only way for them has been UPWARDS. After seeing abnormally high returns in a very short period of them, most have stuck on - expecting the windfall to continue ad infinitum.
Quote:
Is the NPS participation a good or bad thing? I mean they will generally have a longer investment time frame and overall growth may not be impacted by a dip in the short term.
Voluntary contribution to NPS is unlikely to go wrong in the long run. But without the option to time their exit, compulsory contributors to NPS (Government employees) would be subjected to great losses if their retirement date is, say, at the end of a 2-3 year bear cycle or immediately after a great market crash.
dailydriver is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 30th August 2020, 20:46   #4417
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
Voluntary contribution to NPS is unlikely to go wrong in the long run. But without the option to time their exit, compulsory contributors to NPS (Government employees) would be subjected to great losses if their retirement date is, say, at the end of a 2-3 year bear cycle or immediately after a great market crash.
NPS does offer multiple options at the time of exit. Some relevant points from the NSDL FAQ. And if the proposed talk of having a SWP(Systemic Withdrawal Plan) instead of mandatory Annuity is implemented, it makes it even more attractive.
Quote:
Subscriber can continue to contribute to NPS account beyond the age of 60 years/superannuation (Up to 70 years). This contribution beyond 60 is also eligible for exclusive tax benefits under NPS.
Subscriber can defer Withdrawal and stay invested in NPS up to 70 years of age. Subscriber can defer only lump sum Withdrawal, defer only Annuity or defer both lump sum as well as Annuity
Facility of phased Withdrawal is available for NPS Subscribers. Subscriber can opt for withdrawal of lump-sum amount in a phased manner (up to 10 instalments) over the period from 60 years
praveen_v is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th August 2020, 22:35   #4418
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praveen_v View Post
NPS does offer multiple options at the time of exit. Some relevant points from the NSDL FAQ. And if the proposed talk of having a SWP(Systemic Withdrawal Plan) instead of mandatory Annuity is implemented, it makes it even more attractive.
Even with all these options, for a government employee, NPS is a stock market gamble where you can enter at your will but the exit is controlled.

At 60, after decades of contributing to his pension fund, a retiree would want to have an assured lump sum amount and a monthly payout available for him. He would perhaps be willing to withdraw from the scheme at an earlier date but is very unlikely to continue contributing to it even after retirement. Most importantly, the pension part isn't inflation proof, unlike the old pension scheme. Plus, it is susceptible to political policy changes. Ergo, NPS is not the first choice; but it being the only and the mandatory option available, employees are forced to contribute towards an uncertain future. Another fault with tier 1 NPS is that it takes an inordinate amount of time for your contribution to reach your fund. In the last ten years, I have seldom seen my salary deductions being added to NPS account within a month. The government treasury system is simply too slow.. The opportunity cost of 10% of my salary lying idle for a month is never calculated or cared for.

That apart, as a free-choice individual, unless one wants to take tax benefits, it is better to invest the same amount in Mutual Funds, or if practically possible, in shares - via SIP. This way, you are in control of your money.
dailydriver is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 31st August 2020, 19:00   #4419
BANNED

Quote:
Is the NPS participation a good or bad thing?
All that matters for me is availability funds brings in more liquidity. Most of retail participation right now is a lockdown recreation /hobby - just a hunch, no data to prove this.

Quote:
At 60, after decades of contributing to his pension fund, a retiree would want to have an assured lump sum amount and a monthly payout available for him.

Another fault with tier 1 NPS is that it takes an inordinate amount of time for your contribution to reach your fund. In the last ten years, I have seldom seen my salary deductions being added to NPS account within a month. The government treasury system is simply too slow.. The opportunity cost of 10% of my salary lying idle for a month is never calculated or cared for.
Your points are valid, but not entirely fault of the NPS. The old system of pensions coming from the consolidated funds was called the "undefined benefits" system. The NPS is a "defined benefits" system. First is what the pensioner desires, second is what the govt is willing to give. Both are irreconcilable. Hope that addresses the concerns you voice, quoted above. Kerala was slow to move to the second system, and will pay the price rather soon - like what happened in Greece some years back.

A months' delay to make contributions into NPS is a problem, but you are better off than Kerala State Rtc staff who are facing several years delays in NPS contribution.
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st August 2020, 20:33   #4420
BHPian

Quote:
At 60, after decades of contributing to his pension fund, a retiree would want to have an assured lump sum amount and a monthly payout available for him. He would perhaps be willing to withdraw from the scheme at an earlier date but is very unlikely to continue contributing to it even after retirement. Most importantly, the pension part isn't inflation proof, unlike the old pension scheme. Plus, it is susceptible to political policy changes. Ergo, NPS is not the first choice; but it being the only and the mandatory option available, employees are forced to contribute towards an uncertain future. Another fault with tier 1 NPS is that it takes an inordinate amount of time for your contribution to reach your fund. In the last ten years, I have seldom seen my salary deductions being added to NPS account within a month.
True. Very valid points. Definitely the assurance part and Inflation benefits of the old pension schemes are not addressed with the NPS. The only option for a conservative person is to keep the equity portion low or minimum possible limit. I was not aware of the delay in credit. Even with the Voluntary contribution it takes T+4 days for the units to credit which is on the higher side compared to Mutual Funds.

Last edited by praveen_v : 31st August 2020 at 20:34. Reason: Typo
Old 31st August 2020, 20:40   #4421
Senior - BHPian

AGR DUES:

Supreme Court will pronounce its judgment tomorrow on the time frame to be allowed to telecom companies to pay their AGR dues.

SupremeCourt will also answer whether Spectrum can be sold under IBC proceedings.

Do you play the stock market-f37e6da51c424517a6841504390a54b3.jpeg

Do you play the stock market-1f06f09fe74940168aadb7a2c2c53528.jpeg

Will be an interesting overall session tomorrow to see how the market reacts.
Old 31st August 2020, 21:40   #4422
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Another fault with tier 1 NPS is that it takes an inordinate amount of time for your contribution to reach your fund. In the last ten years, I have seldom seen my salary deductions being added to NPS account within a month. The government treasury system is simply too slow.. The opportunity cost of 10% of my salary lying idle for a month is never calculated or cared for.
Though I’m not advocating NPS as a product, but if your contributions are being credited beyond T+4 days, then it’s the fault of your organisation or the intermediary you’re signed up with. The normal timeline provided to intermediary to process NPS contribution is t+1 day. If processed within this timeline, which means transferring the funds to the NPS trustee bank, they generally allot units as per equity settlement timeline which is T+3. If your intermediary or your Organization delays this transfer, the whole process is delayed. In fact, you’re eligible for compensation if your contributions are not processed on time (waived till 30 sep due to Covid)

Regards.
saket77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st August 2020, 22:55   #4423
Distinguished - BHPian

I was looking at this yearly report (to-date) about FIIs investing in our markets.

Curious to understand how should one interpret this? Does the market seems lucrative or are they feeling pessimistic about it at present?

https://www.fpi.nsdl.co.in/web/Repor...aspx?RptType=6
Old 1st September 2020, 23:31   #4424
Senior - BHPian

This is on Nasdaq. Today the popular video conference software Zoom hit a high, with a P/E of 2551 . It has market cap of 130 B$ (with 2,500 employees). BTW, Zoom went past IBM, which has 350,000 employees and market cap of 123 B$. I know employee count & market cap not not related. I am bringing up a statistic .
Do you play the stock market-whatsapp-image-20200901-8.02.46-pm.jpeg

Last edited by msdivy : 1st September 2020 at 23:39.
msdivy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th September 2020, 14:48   #4425
Senior - BHPian

TCS has taken a nose-dive, along with other Tata stocks.

A fallout of Mistry - Tata feud? And how is Tata Sons planning to pay to buy that stake? The group's financial position isn't that great.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks