0 - 25% -- I'm like the most conservative Indians. I love FDs. 396 32.27%
26 - 50% -- I have a few stocks. 549 44.74%
51 - 75% -- I'm an active trader. 201 16.38%
76 - 100% -- Hey, I'm an i-banker!!! 81 6.60%
Voters: 1227. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 20th February 2008, 09:53   #511
BHPian

i use icicdirect. many of you might laugh saying that the brokerage is a premium. However, though paying a tad higher, I haven't observed any discrepancies.

I have heard stories where people with RM, sharekhan, indiabulls, do not receive their IPO refunds. Yet to come accross a soul, who says that he has a problem in refunds with icici.
Old 20th February 2008, 10:23   #512
LLL
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3_07 View Post

I have heard stories where people with RM, sharekhan, indiabulls, do not receive their IPO refunds. Yet to come accross a soul, who says that he has a problem in refunds with icici.
Actually refunds are not dependent on trading platform, they are dependent on Lead manager e.g. karvy

Also, lot of folks reported not being able to use ICICI on 21-Jan when markets fell badly.

Last edited by LLL : 20th February 2008 at 10:25.
Old 20th February 2008, 11:29   #513
BHPian

What is happening to Jaiprakash Associates? It is in a free fall!!!

I am holding 300 shares of it, and the temptation to book losses and get out of it is too much.

\N

Edit: Now it has gone to sub-250 levels and is currently trading at 248. God, I am screwed :-(

Last edited by ntomer : 20th February 2008 at 11:48.
Old 20th February 2008, 12:11   #514
LLL
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntomer View Post
What is happening to Jaiprakash Associates? It is in a free fall!!!

I am holding 300 shares of it, and the temptation to book losses and get out of it is too much.

\N

Edit: Now it has gone to sub-250 levels and is currently trading at 248. God, I am screwed :-(
It is at its lowest point now for last 6 months...anyone has a clue whats happening to it? Just a few days back, everyone was advising it as a 'buy'.
Old 20th February 2008, 12:17   #515
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLL View Post
It is at its lowest point now for last 6 months...anyone has a clue whats happening to it? Just a few days back, everyone was advising it as a 'buy'.
Guys my 2 cents on the threads. Don't use it as a thread to recommend and advice on which shares to pick up. You need to invest in the market based on fundamentals and not on tips.

Don't buy or sell your shares because x, y, z did so or told you so. For people who are new to the market, the best way to invest is through mutual funds.

The share market can make or break you if you are not careful.
Old 20th February 2008, 12:24   #516
Team-BHP Support

It just ran out of steam. Whenever you get a recommendation, don't buy blindly, do your research. Try finding "when to enter" and "when to exit".
there is no free lunch. I learnt it the hard way.
If those analysts were so good, why do they need to setup complex websites. They can just trade in market and make money off their own recommendations, right.
Analysts recommendation should be treated as information.
For example when an Analysts say
' Drugs Pharma as acquired a tax free poppy plantation in Afganistan, and will handle south asia operations of major underworld family' don't take it as a recommendation to buy drug pharma.
Just take it as information.
This means that drug pharma is sitting on potential gold mine, but there are other factors like police action and military action etc.,

For example some time back a well known analyst made a recommendation of buy on a company which had got a major order from a European firm.
What he conveniently forgot to mention is that the European firm was in dying gasp, and most probably won't be able to pay up.
Old 20th February 2008, 12:35   #517
LLL
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumitB View Post
Guys my 2 cents on the threads. Don't use it as a thread to recommend and advice on which shares to pick up. You need to invest in the market based on fundamentals and not on tips.
Purpose of the thread is to share information. No one will invest his money just because someone in this forum said so. Since small investors do not have the resources to check on the company, they go by what experts tell them. Hence the query as to what is happening to JP Associates.

When we talk of fundas...doesnt seem to work in India.
e.g. Ambuja cements - Share price is 115 when EPS is 12.95
JaiPrakash - Share price is 249 when EPS is 3.79. Shouldnt the share price be less than that of ambuja cements?
Old 20th February 2008, 12:38   #518
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Purpose of the thread is to share information. No one will invest his money just because someone in this forum said so. Since small investors do not have the resources to check on the company, they go by what experts tell them. Hence the query as to what is happening to JP Associates.

When we talk of fundas...doesnt seem to work in India.
e.g. Ambuja cements - Share price is 115 when EPS is 12.95
JaiPrakash - Share price is 249 when EPS is 3.79. Shouldnt the share price be less than that of ambuja cements?
Sorry, I disagree on resource part. Google.com is a huge resource.
When markets are on an upward spiral(10-20000 burst) you "will" make money, mostly.
Its in volatile times that things get tough
If you are not willing to research yourself, enter market when it enters an extended bull run, stay away in these times.
Old 20th February 2008, 12:55   #519
BHPian

Quote:
Hence the query as to what is happening to JP Associates.

My observation on the matter was not aimed at the query on J P Associates in particular. I made that post as a general post after going through the whole thread. It started by the original poster asking "who invest in the stock market" on the forum and ended up by people giving tips on which stock to pick up or sell.

I am sorry if you misunderstood me.
Old 20th February 2008, 21:03   #520
BHPian

JP Associates is one my favorite scrip. I hold 100. But I bought it long back. Actually JP associates is into Cement, power, infrastructure, and real estates with Taj express highway being a prestigeous project.

All the analysts who recommended the stock, valued it on so called sum of part valuation. The idea is that when the company lists its power business separately (just like Reliance Energy did with Reliance power), true value will be unlocked.

But Reliance power bombed, hence now 'unlocking of value' will not happen in the near future. Also, lot of mutual funds have invested heavily into this scrip and now many of them are trimming their position.

If one is a bit patient and can wait for some time, things may change for better.
Old 21st February 2008, 00:47   #521
LLL
BHPian

Seems portion reserved for REC IPO for retail investors remains under-subscribed. No bids from mutual funds.

REC IPO subscribed 2.73 times- IPOs-Markets-The Economic Times
Old 21st February 2008, 09:56   #522
LLL
BHPian

markets up today as US markets went up yesterday....good day to sell...
Old 21st February 2008, 20:49   #523
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
markets up today as US markets went up yesterday....good day to sell...
DAY TRAITOR...oops Trader.

no offence, but this is the reason our markets have become so volatile nowadays. too many investors jumping in and out at slightest change of winds.

i guess the best business to be in is brokering. cheers:
Old 21st February 2008, 21:25   #524
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
DAY TRAITOR...oops Trader.

no offence, but this is the reason our markets have become so volatile nowadays. too many investors jumping in and out at slightest change of winds.

i guess the best business to be in is brokering. cheers:
A few days back I bought a sold Bharti Airtel shares on the same day. 4 times buy and 4 times sell.
The share was fluctuating between 850 and 880.
I used to buy and then sell after 40-50 minutes. Small amounts like 30 shares
Old 24th February 2008, 17:57   #525
Senior - BHPian

REPL Bonus announched. 3 shares on every 5 shares.

Most Viewed