Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 4th June 2011, 14:26   #76
BHPian

Re: Dog Pee on tyres

Here we are talking about protecting our beloved cars that are a major source of pollution around the globe and their emissions can lead to several diseases in us humans and animals (including dogs), from dog pee which is the most natural thing an animal can do and has been doing long before cars came into existence. Let us not, in our selfishness, grudge animals the most basic bodily functions by using chillies, electricity and other such novel ideas.
dr_anurag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th June 2011, 15:07   #77
BHPian

My dog is trained to pee in our bathroom itself, so its a matter of training them. But street dogs innocently pee to protect their territory i believe got to do some research on this Lolz. I second your point of view to be sympathetic to dogs in exhibiting their natural instinct
Old 4th June 2011, 22:58   #78
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (9)

This thread needs to be a photolouge like the "Accidents in India - Pics" thread. It will make a very interesting one to have pics of them dogs doing it on tyres. Please remember to snap and upload.

I have liquid spray called "Get Off!" (No not that way ) that prevents cats and dogs from peeing wherever its sprayed. Please walk into a pet store and tell the lady at the counter that "I want (to) Get Off!"

FYI: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Amazing-Anim.../dp/B00189NTCS

--Ragul

Last edited by Ragul : 4th June 2011 at 23:09.
Old 5th June 2011, 08:08   #79
Senior - BHPian

One doubt: if a dog pees on your car tyre to mark its territory and next day you park your car in another dog's territory, will it not cause an overlap of territories? What if the two dogs fight to death to establish their territories?
So, if a dog pees on your car, do not move the car till the smell vanishes. Protect the dog's territory.
Old 10th September 2011, 15:00   #80
BHPian

Here is a simple solution devised by folks in Taipei to solve this menace. It involves covering the tyres with a cardboard or plywood sheet!

Can you solve the mystery of Taipei’s car tire covers? | OzSoapbox

-- Wind
Old 10th September 2011, 16:30   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post

I have liquid spray called "Get Off!" (No not that way ) that prevents cats and dogs from peeing wherever its sprayed.
--Ragul
It works occasionally. Or until you come home from work one day to find that your dogs have chewed right through the bottle and then peed on it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
One doubt: if a dog pees on your car tyre to mark its territory and next day you park your car in another dog's territory, will it not cause an overlap of territories? What if the two dogs fight to death to establish their territories?
I'm not sure about the dogs, but in a crowded city like Bangalore, there's a good chance the car owners would fight to death if you park in another territory.

PS: Tyres apart, what do you do when there's dog pee/puke on the upholstery of your car seats? What's the best way to get that off?

Last edited by sidkun : 10th September 2011 at 16:33.
Old 5th August 2012, 15:24   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
I have liquid spray called "Get Off!" (No not that way ) that prevents cats and dogs from peeing wherever its sprayed. Please walk into a pet store and tell the lady at the counter that "I want (to) Get Off!"

FYI: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Amazing-Anim.../dp/B00189NTCS

--Ragul
Do you get this in Bangalore?

-- Wind
Old 15th March 2018, 22:39   #83
BHPian

Resurrecting this thread up from the grave as I'm in need of some serious help here.

My locality has an army of stray dogs & they do not share a very good relationship with my dog. This army, with their bladders full, would wait for my truck/bike/car to show up & would relieve themselves on the tires, bumpers & sidesteps within the few moments I take to open the door for the parking area. My dog, would do the same when the truck/bike/car gets inside the parking lot (albeit in a lot lesser quantity but with almost full coverage). This is their daily routine and by the end of the week, the circumferences of my silver wheels turn black (with a tinge of yellow) and the black & grey floor of the parking area gets yellow patches all around. This looks bad, smells bad, is not hygienic & pretty disgusting to clean off. Not to mention the corrosive nature of the fluid.

Now, I'm a dog lover & I get their feeling to mark their territories. But, this feeling is not mutual. They do not understand my concerns. My dog doesn't want to learn (trust me, I tried) & the strays are not exactly trainable. So far, all my attempts to fix this behavior have gone down the drain.

I'm aware of the stuff that dogs don't like to smell (citrus, vinegar, alcohol, mothballs etc.) and I'm willing to give it a shot. But I have my apprehensions on how these chemicals will react to the rim paint & tires and how long would their effect last. If someone can suggest this I'll be sorted.
Old 16th March 2018, 00:01   #84
Distinguished - BHPian

Tough one when you are a dog lover and can't bear to be cruel to the street dogs. Look at the bright side - no cat or cow will pee on them tyres given that they will smell cannine territory and back off. Further we could research if indeed dog pee is beneficial to tyre rubber. Let's not assume it's not. If it is then we may have stumbled on to a new opportunity deserving of angel funding. We could make a youtube video on this and get 10,639 likes and who knows what else. I am sorry brother so let me be serious. One fail proof anti-dote would be tiger pee. If we spray some tiger pee on the tyres it is guaranteed to frighten the street mongrels away.

Forgive my insensitivity as I couldn't help laugh at the sticky situation. If you feed those street dogs at the gate they may decide in their own doggy way to be kinder to you as they don't eat where they pee and vice versa.
Old 16th March 2018, 00:29   #85
BHPian

Quote:
. Protect the dog's territory.
This thread is funny.
The equation is one to many (or may I say one to all k9 population). So if you have a car X and five dogs A/B/C/D/E. You have all the suitors marking X car tire in random order and also double marking it as a sign of professional guardianship. Even if you reduce the dog sample size to just A, car X will get stamped by random passerby dog when out station. Return to base and suitor repeats the guardianship.
Old 16th March 2018, 01:10   #86
BHPian

Quote:
So, if a dog pees on your car, do not move the car till the smell vanishes. Protect the dog's territory.
When I do not want my dog to pee at a particular place, I wash the place with 1:1 mix of white vinegar and water. Then I wash with highly diluted bleach. This is how you potty train a puppy. With this method, we have our dog go potty within a specific area of our back yard.

I am pretty sure you can use this method on the car tires to wash off the territorial markers of other dogs. Hydrogen Peroxide and baking soda also do a good job of masking odors. Dried urine has a very strong odor. If we can smell something, dogs with 5000 times our sensory perception certainly can. You need to persist and make sure you use all the tools available to mask it effectively.
Old 16th March 2018, 07:36   #87
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
Look at the bright side - no cat or cow will pee on them tyres given that they will smell cannine territory and back off.
to nit-pick: Cows are not territorial as dogs are. They just pee ..
Old 16th March 2018, 08:18   #88
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Brother Streetaddict, Your problem is real, your pain genuine, your anguish heart rending and the smell err well divine to dogs i.e. . Like a boys hostel situation the gang will not let you live this one down. You shall forever be remembered as the dog pee on tyres guy (DeePeeTeeGee). Off topic opens. 'You see in my college days before the paeleolithic age on day two in the hostel half my proud mouche was shaved off and I had to roam around a full day before shaving off the other half! Even today 40 cursed years later I am remembered only by that one incident'. Hell it is likely to ensure fame for me even after I'm dead and gone. Off topic Ends.

Now coming back to this complex matter at hand where ritx3645, thoughtfully, is using mathematics to resolve the issue. Goodman ritz3645. In the meantime there are brave and not so brave men in Delhi who will jump into the zoo's tiger cage and get that tiger pee for you. How about a blue tooth trigger device on your bunglow's gate and have it automatically open seconds before you arrive and then dart the car in before the canine's can lift their legs.
Attached Thumbnails
Dog Pee on tyres-urinecartoon.jpg  

Last edited by V.Narayan : 16th March 2018 at 08:19.
Old 16th March 2018, 09:40   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritz3645 View Post
This thread is funny.
The equation is one to many (or may I say one to all k9 population). So if you have a car X and five dogs A/B/C/D/E. You have all the suitors marking X car tire in random order and also double marking it as a sign of professional guardianship. Even if you reduce the dog sample size to just A, car X will get stamped by random passerby dog when out station. Return to base and suitor repeats the guardianship.
One car and 5 dogs? What happens when you go in for tyre rotation? Will really confuse the dogs.
Old 16th March 2018, 12:03   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetAddict View Post
Resurrecting this thread up from the grave as I'm in need of some serious help here.

My locality has an army of stray dogs & they do not share a very good relationship with my dog. This army, with their bladders full, would wait for my truck/bike/car to show up & would relieve themselves on the tires, bumpers & sidesteps within the few moments I take to open the door for the parking area. My dog, would do the same when the truck/bike/car gets inside the parking lot (albeit in a lot lesser quantity but with almost full coverage).
Trust me when I say this - dogs whether domestic or alien don't give a poop about citrus or vinegar. I have tried everything possible to prevent my dog from chewing the Washbasin outlet pipe and other soft things.

One thing that will surely work is ultrasound emitter the British Postman used to use. It is a small handheld device that emits a pulsating frequency around 25kHz which you can't hear. So we will be oblivious to this noise whilst any four legged creatures will be annoyed at the noise. As it is pulsating it is hard for them to ignore. You should be able to source such ultrasound pest repellents from China and fit one each on each side and trigger them when you are approaching the danger zone.

Your resident quadruple pet should be sufficiently discouraged with a strong blast from the device. S/He won't go anywhere near your rides.

Most Viewed