Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 14th August 2009, 16:54   #61
Senior - BHPian

For the past sometime I have noticed that DD shows a lot more variety of sports than any of the other "Sports" channels who always seem to be showing WWF, TNA, Golf, Cricket or Football.
Old 15th August 2009, 20:28   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post
For the past sometime I have noticed that DD shows a lot more variety of sports than any of the other "Sports" channels who always seem to be showing WWF, TNA, Golf, Cricket or Football.
I believe they can do much better if they change the current set of commentators especially the Hindi ones ...
Old 10th September 2009, 12:56   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArunV View Post
There is one Badminton academy near Marthahalli. Its on the straight road when you come from Old airport side and need to cross the turn to ITPL also(Need not take the turn to ITPl. Go staright there). It is on the left side and right opposite to Pet Hospital.

The academy's name is Gurukul. You can see a small blue color board on left side.

The courts are really good. They have 5 courts, for which they charge Rs 50/- per head per hour or Rs 300/- for an hour for a court.

You can check out the court availability on 080 32429671

They charge
Hey, this place is very near where I stay now. I need a playing partner or three. Any BHP-ians want to play badminton? PM me. Days of week and time are flexible for me. I am game to play regularly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aburagohain View Post
Is there any way to purchase good quality Badminton shuttle cocks in bulk for a club, from a whole-sale kind of perspective?

I play at a club and the requirements are pretty huge, there is a different feeling to a good shuttlecock altogether but it becomes prohibitive when one looks at the cost factor for regular play.

I am talking of premium birds made of geese feather, the likes of RSL, Ashaway etc., if anyone has any info, please PM.
You could try My Badminton Store. Ten tubes of Yonex Aerosensa (12 shuttles per tube) are USD 229, plus USD 18 for shipping to India. Works out to USD 24.7 or INR 1235 per tube. Expensive, but could be worth it if you are a regular player. They also have other brands like Hi-Qua (USD 105 for ten tubes) and Tactic (USD 143 for ten tubes). I don't know how these prices compare with the sports shops in Bangalore as I have bought only Yonex nylon shuttles and cheap local chicken-feathered shuttles so far. And I don't know if you will end up paying extra for customs.

BTW, where do you play, aburagohain?

Last edited by johnjacob : 10th September 2009 at 13:06.
Old 10th September 2009, 14:22   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjacob View Post
Hey, this place is very near where I stay now. I need a playing partner or three. Any BHP-ians want to play badminton? PM me. Days of week and time are flexible for me. I am game to play regularly.
I am a regular vistor here (but not for the last few weeks) for the swimming. May be we can join. lets see if we can make it soon.

Btw, me too stay around here - near cosmos mall.
Old 10th September 2009, 19:56   #65
BHPian

Quote:
You could try My Badminton Store. Ten tubes of Yonex Aerosensa (12 shuttles per tube) are USD 229, plus USD 18 for shipping to India. Works out to USD 24.7 or INR 1235 per tube. Expensive, but could be worth it if you are a regular player. They also have other brands like Hi-Qua (USD 105 for ten tubes) and Tactic (USD 143 for ten tubes). I don't know how these prices compare with the sports shops in Bangalore as I have bought only Yonex nylon shuttles and cheap local chicken-feathered shuttles so far. And I don't know if you will end up paying extra for customs.
BTW, where do you play, aburagohain?
That will be very costly I guess, customs will be there of course.
I play at Reliance Club in South Bangalore, BTM. We also mostly use the Yonex fiber shuttles, but I want to move to feather now, expensive proposition.
I guess you are referring to duck feather, not chicken perhaps
Old 11th September 2009, 19:04   #66
BHPian

Quote:
I just stay behind the place and have been playing there for some time now. I play in the mornings ... Do PM me if you want to come in the morning timings.
Old 12th September 2009, 19:06   #67
BHPian

I went and played there on Friday morning (yesterday). It was good fun, and by chance I met one of my college seniors whom I hadn't seen for years too. I'm going to make a regular thing of it.

@sam_boy, would be great to see you there. Only thing is how would I recognise you?
Old 12th September 2009, 20:08   #68
BHPian

john and mjothi, even I used to play there. But i had to stop in between and was thinking of starting again. Evenings would be comofrtable for me.

Shall we book few 1 hr slots and start playing?
Old 12th September 2009, 22:40   #69
Senior - BHPian

I stay near that place. I would be interested to join.
Old 13th September 2009, 13:24   #70
BHPian

Quote:
I went and played there on Friday morning (yesterday). It was good fun, and by chance I met one of my college seniors whom I hadn't seen for years too. I'm going to make a regular thing of it.
Even I was playing on Friday morning there ... ... I have sent you my number ( check your inbox pls) ...

I need to be in my office @ 8 AM so go there around 6.15-6.30 AM. Would be great fun to play with you ...

Quote:
john and mjothi, even I used to play there. But i had to stop in between and was thinking of starting again. Evenings would be comofrtable for me.

Shall we book few 1 hr slots and start playing?
That is a great idea but we need to book the court in much advance and the court is not open from sep 19th - sep 24th due to a tournament. So we can think of playing after that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
I stay near that place. I would be interested to join.
Let us have a TBHP meet there .. Would be great fun.

First let all of us meet in that place.
Old 13th September 2009, 14:23   #71
BHPian

Quote:
There is one Badminton academy near Marthahalli. Its on the straight road when you come from Old airport side and need to cross the turn to ITPL also(Need not take the turn to ITPl. Go staright there). It is on the left side and right opposite to Pet Hospital.

The academy's name is Gurukul. You can see a small blue color board on left side.

The courts are really good. They have 5 courts, for which they charge Rs 50/- per head per hour or Rs 300/- for an hour for a court.

You can check out the court availability on 080 32429671

They charge
Hi Guys,

Anyone from marathalli? Even I would like to play badminton. Could somebody from marathalli area tell me whether anybody has used the above-mentioned court? If yes then I would be interested to join. Please pm me if somebody is from marathalli and would like to join or who is already playing badminton.
Old 14th September 2009, 13:02   #72
BHPian

Quote:
@sam_boy, would be great to see you there. Only thing is how would I recognise you?
@ johnjacob, why don't you book a court this Sat and let's know? I am open for anytime on Sat.

Folks, just step in and confirm you availability this Sat?
Old 14th September 2009, 20:44   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteKnight View Post
@ johnjacob, why don't you book a court this Sat and let's know? I am open for anytime on Sat.

Folks, just step in and confirm you availability this Sat?
Wont be able to join this weekend and next weekend. This weekend has been booked for a trip to Kannur and kasargod and the next week to Kochi.

Can we play in the evening during any of the weekdays? i think we will have enough people for doubles.
Old 16th September 2009, 23:38   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteKnight View Post
Hey all, I went to play this morning as well and I met sam_boy. Boy, he is a good player.

@WhiteKnight, sorry, but can't book a court for this weekend as they have an official state level tournament going on from the 19th to the 24th. We could plan for next weekend.

@ArunV, mornings work out more convenient for me so I usually go in the mornings. I don't know how the evening scene is over there but you could go check it out. If it is anything like the morning scene, just jump in and start playing. The people are quite friendly too.
Old 17th September 2009, 16:25   #75
Senior - BHPian

Can anyone tell me a place where I can get my racquet strung near Rajajinagar and it surroundings?

Also somebody please suggest what strings I should be using. I use a Yonex Carbonex 21-Special (using it since my college days) racquet and have Yonex BG 65 strings on it.

I want to play regularly from now on (it's been 4-5 years since I last played) and will probably use the Yonex nylon shuttles for a while and maybe later switch on to feathers.

Most Viewed