Team-BHP - My Green Cotton filter got nicked :(
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Shifting gears (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/)
-   -   My Green Cotton filter got nicked :( (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/41343-my-green-cotton-filter-got-nicked.html)

Hi Guys,

My Green Cotton airfilter which was fitted on my Bullet got stolen last evening. It was nicked when the bike was parked below my office. May low life who nicked it suffer an engine seizure + a holed piston + a bent valve :D

The model number of my Green was K1.44EX/R, it's an oval tapered filter.

Now considering another one asap as i don't want to risk the engine life running it without an air filter. I'm thinking whether to go in for a K&N or back to Green.

This is sad. Even basement parking in office premises are not safe.
Don't worry, the one who stole the filter is going to suffer even more. Anyways, before you fit another one, find a safe parking space.

Did you check your twin's car?? :p

Sorry to hear that. Didnt your building have security?

Quote:

Originally Posted by iraghava (Post 873932)
Did you check your twin's car?? :p

Hmm.... what would he do with teeny weeny bike filter? I bet his crankcasefilter is bigger than my bike's intake filter :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by srijit (Post 873961)
Sorry to hear that. Didnt your building have security?

Unfortunately no.

Btw i bought a K&N R1100 filter today from Amba. It cost me 2500 bucks. It costs more than the Green but it's slightly smaller than it.

R-1100 - K&N Universal Air Filters, Universal Rubber Filter

After the Green filter incident i didn't want to give our thief an easy target with my new K&N R1100. So when i was installing the K&N filter i knew that i had to make it thief proof some way or the other.

The easiest was to make a cover for the filter out of aluminum and put it over the filter. But this had two problems: 1) The cover would ruin the lean mean look of the bike as it doesn't even have the side boxes. 2) I wanted the world to see my filter and it goes with the purposeful look of the bike.

This is how i did it:-

I drilled a hole on the filter top put a 13 size bolt through it, the hole is not 13 size but slightly smaller, washers are put on either side of the rubber top. This is to get a good area for the bolts to pinc on to the rubber top. While inserting the bolt remember to smear a bit of silicone sealant on to it and also on the washer surface as this would help make an airtight seal.

Now I made a clamp out of an old front mudguard stay. One end of the clamp is tightened on to the filter top and the other end of the clamp is tightened to the frame under the seat. The bolt on top of the rubber top is slightly exposed from under the seat. But to make it difficult for our thief to remove it i have Araldited the exposed nut and the thread. Araldite is pretty strong when it sets and i have my total belief in in. It has been holding an important bolt in my bike's cylinder head for more than a year :)

This is not a "totally determined thief" proof method to secure the filter but it is good enough protection against casual thieves and hyperactive hands.

The R1100 has a flange with angle.
My Green Cotton filter got nicked :(-1.jpg

Here you can see the other end bolted to the frame of the bike.
My Green Cotton filter got nicked :(-2.jpg

Traces of RTV silicone smeared on the bolt & washer.
My Green Cotton filter got nicked :(-3.jpg

I like the angle the filter sits at :) But you think it will foul with my thighs. The seat will come down a bit more and will cover the nut partially. The seat wasn't tightened down when i took this photo.
My Green Cotton filter got nicked :(-4.jpg

See it does not.
My Green Cotton filter got nicked :(-5.jpg

Not even a little bit.
My Green Cotton filter got nicked :(-6.jpg

i am sorry to hear bout your green cotton ! , but congratulations on your K&N!

I just have a single doubt that you have put the silicon on the bolt ,so how you gonna do the cleaning (if needed)
I suppose you have to remove the bolt which is under your seat and have to clean it with the clamp in it.

Well ,i would say think on it that's it and try something else for the safety and all !

Happy BIKING

nice idea bro....cant you get longer one so that filter stays horizontal to the ground instead of this position?

Thanks Ram :) The flange of the R1100 has an angle. There are three positions in which i could fit the filter 1) Up like you see inthe pic, 2) Horizontal but sticking out, 3) Down and drooping.

I opted for the UP position because it is the least obtrusive when i put my foot down. It might look as if the filter is being pulled up by the clamp but in reality the filter is just resting at it's natural angled position. Another plus point of this position is that the clamp is almost invisible.

sankar, this theft happened in blore ? which place ?

Sorry to hear about the Green. Nice bit of DIY engineering on this one though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by smokin (Post 876017)
I just have a single doubt that you have put the silicon on the bolt ,so how you gonna do the cleaning (if needed)
I suppose you have to remove the bolt which is under your seat and have to clean it with the clamp in it.

Well ,i would say think on it that's it and try something else for the safety and all !

Happy BIKING

Thanks mate. Yes the cleaning will have to be done as you had thought. The filter will have to be cleaned with the clamp on. It's a little bit in convenient to remove the seat then unbolt the clamp and take the filter off the carb. Cleaning which would've taken 15 minutes usually with no clamp would now take around 15 minutes just to get to the filter. But that's okay as i do the cleaning myself and do it on weekends with ample time to spare.

Quote:

Originally Posted by black12rr (Post 876104)
sankar, this theft happened in blore ? which place ?

It happened here in Trivandrum. While i was in Bangalore i had an HP filter and nobody cared to nick it for the whole one year i had it :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by nkapoor777 (Post 876110)
Sorry to hear about the Green. Nice bit of DIY engineering on this one though.

Thanks mate! I'm glad that i could do it myself at home.

Boss, any change in the sound??

And if u had put the filter in a box, won't the amount of air being sucked in reduce? I guess its best this way, nice idea ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by karthik247 (Post 876134)
Boss, any change in the sound??

And if u had put the filter in a box, won't the amount of air being sucked in reduce? I guess its best this way, nice idea ;)

Yeah lots of induction noise is there... Since i'm now running on stealth mode mufflers (trying to be a good chap here in our community..hehe) the intake sound is more pronounced.

Hey, I opened the thread thinking your filter got nicked, now you are saying it was stolen. Which is right?:confused:

BTW, sorry to to hear it was stolen.