Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th February 2005, 12:05   #1
Senior - BHPian

Bangalore Kodai road trip

Hey guys

A couple of colleagues n me are thinking of hitting the road to kodai on the 5th march. 8th is a holiday and 7th we r taking a day off. Only prob is we are not sure what road to hit!! Any suggestions are most welcome.
Any recommended places of stay will also be most appreciated. Anyplace that satisfies the SST criteria (sundar, sasta aur Tikaoo)??
Also, anyone who wants to join us is also welcome.... as long as he/she dont mind the company of 3 drunkards. Basic routine would be roam during the day and drink in the evening. Oh and u would have to bring ur own car as my car would be full.

Cheers
Amitoj
Old 25th February 2005, 13:14   #2
BHPian

One road i can think of the

bangalore-ooty-coimbatore-pollachi-palani-kodai.

You must have fair idea of how it will be from bangalore to ooty. From ooty to coimbatore, if its a week end, traffic will be pretty heavy. Road quality upto pollachi should be good. Though they are single lane per side roads.
From ooty to pollachi the dist is ~120 kms. Might have to go thru coimbatore, have to take of slight congestion here and at metupalyam.
I am not sure beyond pollachi, though it should be decent.

Another route is to take the golden Quad.
Approx route is like this, bangalore - salem - karur(???) - dindugal - kodai. The quaity of the highway upto dindugal should be pretty good. After that its mostly the kodai ghat road. not sure about the distance though.
Old 25th February 2005, 13:18   #3
Team-BHP Support

fast n fun drive go via salem dindigul..
Old 25th February 2005, 13:21   #4

Bangalore - Salem-Dindigul- Kodai is the shortest, best and fastest route (I think it is some 470 odd kms).. Not sure what your limit for SST is, Garden Manor is a good place was abt 800/- for a double room for the night last time we went ...
Old 25th February 2005, 13:22   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu
fast n fun drive go via salem dindigul..
but the roadafter Krishnagiri sucks till Dharmapuri , then it improves till Salem
Old 25th February 2005, 13:22   #6
BHPian

Slight correction...

fast : salem-dindugal....
fun : ooty-coimbatore...

From ooty upto pollachi, if, if u dont get caught in traffics(nothing like bangalore traffic though), its this to road drive. But i guess that this route is bit longer...
Old 25th February 2005, 13:26   #7

The last time I went (enroute to Munnar which is close to Kodai) via Pollachi, some brdige was broken after Palani and we had to go back all the way through dindigul..
Also, most likely you will get lost for a bit while getting out of pollachi...
Old 25th February 2005, 13:54   #8
Senior - BHPian

Hmm.. so how about if i take the bangalore-salem - dindigul - kodai while going and the kodai - pallani - coimbatore - ooty - bangalore on the way back? Since return would be on Tuesday, less chances of getting stuck in traffic, right?

Annnnd any of you experienced people willing to join us??

Last edited by amitoj : 25th February 2005 at 14:06.
Old 25th February 2005, 14:53   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj
Hmm.. so how about if i take the bangalore-salem - dindigul - kodai while going and the kodai - pallani - coimbatore - ooty - bangalore on the way back? Since return would be on Tuesday, less chances of getting stuck in traffic, right?

That should be fun, I've done it the other way round from bangalore-ooty-comib-kodai, back via Salem.It was a fun drive.

Another thing u said about ur car being full with 3 people only?
do u drive a Mclaren F-1?
cheers,
Rai
Old 25th February 2005, 14:56   #10
BHPian

Quote:

That will be a good one . Coimbatore - Ooty - Blore .

Ooty - blore - come Via Madhumali . This is a very good road to take . Super Curves and then drive through forest.

You may also want to take a deviation - before Gundlupet .. TO Gopala Swamy Betta .. A easy 50 degree Hill climb . I will bet you , that some point of time - you will use the first gear during your climb.
Old 25th February 2005, 14:58   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raihan
Another thing u said about ur car being full with 3 people only?
do u drive a Mclaren F-1?

hahahaa... McLaren F1 on indian roads. That would be a nightmare.
I said 3 becoz i have to fit my 6 ft 3 frame into the driver seat of a zen and to do that, i push the chair all the way back and then recline it 2 notches so that my knees arent cramped and my head doesnt hit the roof. As a result, there is hardly any room for 2 on the backseat. (no "salpa adjust maadi").

Blore - madhumalai - ooty... is that the one thats barely wide enough for one car? I think thats the route i took on the way to ooty.. its right after bandipur, right?... yeah amazing bends there. Had to drop to 1st many times to make some of those hairpin bends. Was it Homrazd who took that road to test Tavera?

Amitoj

Last edited by amitoj : 25th February 2005 at 15:01.
Old 25th February 2005, 15:07   #12
BHPian

Hey am 6.0 & drive a zen too. I agree its not suited for tell people like us.
wrong, actually if u want the short cut to Ooty from Madhumalai u gotta take a LEFT if u wanna ride the dangerous curves.Remember theres a v narrow bridge & a river flowing underneath, this will tell u if its the right way.
cheers,
Rai

Last edited by Rtech : 4th March 2005 at 16:54.
Old 25th February 2005, 15:11   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raihan
wrong, actually if u want the short cut to Ooty from Madhumalai u gotta take a LEFT if u wanna ride the dangerous curves.
Thats the one i took then. Did save a lot of time. Took the normal longer route on the way back and that seemed so boring compared to the earlier route.
Old 25th February 2005, 15:13   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Was it Homrazd who took that road to test Tavera?
Tavera?? Or is it forester??

Anyway just one warning, the ooty-cbe route will be bit tiresome too. You have too cross this ghat section and then one at kodai. Would suggest to go thru ooty and come back thru salem.
Old 25th February 2005, 15:55   #15
Senior - BHPian

I do remember clearly him mentioning that coz of its looks, people tend to underestimate its ride and handling and mistake it for a gentle family vehicle. Would this apply to tavera or forrester? I read this article on the autocarindia website which is kind of non existent now.
But! We are digressing here , "my dear Ganapathi".
Umm... i was thinking of taking the ooty, cbe route while coming back becoz u mentioned that weekend traffic on this road will be tiresome. Since i will be returning on tuesday, i was thinking it would be a safe bet to take this route then.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks