Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 29th June 2012, 14:00   #151
BHPian

re: Advice for Visas & Interviews

Hi BHPian's,

My younger Brother Need to Apply for Work Visa for Saudi Arabia. He got placed from campus and going abroad for first time.

Work Authorization letter is generated & sent to agency in mumbai to facilitate the immigration. But agency is asking around 40,000 INR for processing with one way tickets. Initial visa will be for 3 months and later it will be processed in Saudi itself.

Need to know the process of obtaining Visa, Processing Time & Visa Charges.
Most important things to avoid after landing in Saudi.
Old 29th June 2012, 15:07   #152
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
I think it can be. Confirm with your company's visa department.
Well, I put this query here because I dont trust any company's visa department. their interests dont lie in maintaining my visa approval history. they are only keen on packing people off. mostly away from their face when we go to them with queries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
There is actually a lot more to it. I will fill you up (first with Misal, and then with this story) when we meet. lol !
I know a little bit, so will take up the meet option. please update the tapri meet thread or send me a message. Sooner the better, I may not be able to make it after a couple of weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
I don’t think there is a need to apply for a new one. IIRC, the US visa I got for my business trip last time was B1/B2 (from US Embassy Singapore). I will check my old passport and confirm later this evening. Even if you have renewed the passport, the visa is valid. You just need to carry the old passport as well.
yeah, the old one is glued so well to the new one that I wouldnt be able to take it off even if I wished.
I am only concerned about the visa applicability as when I applied it was through personal invite to visit friends. now I dont want to be seen using it for business purposes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shabahmad View Post
Hi BHPian's,
sorry, cannot help you there buddy. but where have you been? all ok?
Old 29th June 2012, 15:19   #153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
sorry, cannot help you there buddy. but where have you been? all ok?
Was in Hyderabad for 3 months...Now back missed the many meets & meeting friends.
Old 29th June 2012, 18:37   #154
BHPian

Quote:
I have a B1/ B2 visa that I had got for a personal visit from the US embassy in Paris. I renewed my passport but I believe the 10 year validity B1 visa should be valid (as the renewed passport states without prejudice to visas in passport no. xxxxx).
My question is whether this B1 can also be used for business visits or I should ask the company to apply for a fresh visa for this purpose?
And if a new visa is applied and rejected (my life doesnt depend on it!) will this have any effect on my existing personal B1/ B2 visa? Again life doesnt depend on it, but I would not want it to go to waste considering I spent from my pocket!
typical middle class attitude

Noted. Thanks for the heads up!
B1 visa can be used for personal or official purpose. It doesnt make any difference. Please go ahead and make your travel plans. This advice is based on my extensive travel experience to US. I hope this helps. I have a B1 visa FYI. Carry your old passport we well in which the Visa is present.
Old 29th June 2012, 18:44   #155
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalu View Post
B1 visa can be used for personal or official purpose. It doesnt make any difference. Please go ahead and make your travel plans.
Thanks @Chalu. I was only concerned if they backtrack to original purpose of visa application and issue I94 based on that at the port of entry.

I have been there a couple of times but on another B1 visa I held before this one. So I hope my good behaviour (return before time specified on I94!) will hold me in good stead.

I hope not to be asked to travel this year, but thats another story
Old 29th June 2012, 20:15   #156
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks @Chalu. I was only concerned if they backtrack to original purpose of visa application and issue I94 based on that at the port of entry.

I have been there a couple of times but on another B1 visa I held before this one. So I hope my good behaviour (return before time specified on I94!) will hold me in good stead.

I hope not to be asked to travel this year, but thats another story
As per my experience as long as you hold a valid visa and not misuse it for working purpose then its fine. In the port of entry if the agent questions your purpose of visit and when u mention for business be very clear your intention / purpose of your visit which doesnt clash with any work permit (L1 / H1B). They are a little bit tight due to Infy case of misuse of visa.
Old 30th June 2012, 11:48   #157
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I know a little bit, so will take up the meet option. please update the tapri meet thread or send me a message. Sooner the better, I may not be able to make it after a couple of weeks.
Worse is, the company washed its hands of all the matter saying "Ho gaaya ab, kya karein..". (What has happened has happened, what can we do?)
Old 30th June 2012, 22:19   #158
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by infotech58 View Post
PM me with any specific information you might want and I will try to help.
Thanks a lot Infotech58, the info about LMO is new to me. well, I'm into IT and yes I'm looking for a PR and yes Ontario is in my Radar. .
Just started looking into options of settling in Canada and it's related info.

I can't PM you, as I'm a newbie. it will be helpful if you can PM me your contact info, mine's there in my profile.
Wishing you all the very best in the Maple country
Old 2nd July 2012, 14:58   #159
BHPian

Thanks for reply.
500 rs is their commission to file (basically take care of air tickets)

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
@deeps79: Though I am not an expert, but Schengen visa cost is around 4000-5000. I am not sure what you are getting for Rs. 500 that you have mentioned above.
ITALY VISA

Generally it takes about 1 month for this visa (at least when my employer is sending individuals on that visa.)
Old 4th August 2012, 08:58   #160
AJo
BHPian

Anyone been to the new US consulate at BKC, Mumbai, recently?
I need advice on:
1) Any car-parking available nearby?
2) Is there a large queue usually for the visa interview?
3) Does one reach there at the exact appointed time? Or come as early as possible on the appointment date & stand in the queue?
4) Any other tips - considering we'll be having a kid (7yr old) with us.

Thanks,
AJ
Old 13th December 2012, 11:55   #161
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJo View Post
Anyone been to the new US consulate at BKC, Mumbai, recently?
I need advice on:
3) Does one reach there at the exact appointed time? Or come as early as possible on the appointment date & stand in the queue?
4) Any other tips - considering we'll be having a kid (7yr old) with us.

Thanks,
AJ
No replies to the above.

I am bumping up this thread since I have the same questions.
Old 13th December 2012, 12:19   #162
AJo
BHPian

Sorry - I should have posted my own experience in August'12 at the Bandra-Kurla US Consulate. Here goes:

Yes - Free Street parking is available exactly opposite the US Consulate campus. I had asked the Security Personnel & they directed me to this. There is a "pay n park" also quite near-by (near the Ambani school), but did not explore this since I could park on the road opposite the consulate.

Yes, but no need to worry.

My wife & kids appointment was for 7.45am & we reached at 7.15. There was a long queue which they joined, but this moved very quickly & by 8am the entire queue had been ushered into the building. In retrospect felt that we should have reached at appointed time rather than 30mins earlier.

4) Any other tips:
- The usual security procedure - No mobiles, umbrellas, bags etc.
- You can buy food & water inside so no issues for kid.
- I was only accompanying my wife & kid, so had to wait outside near the car. Should have kept water & snacks for myself, since they came out by 10.45am (so a nearly 3 hour wait for me!).

Hope this helped.
AJ
Old 19th December 2012, 15:10   #163
BHPian

Would anyone here know if a TOEFL/IELTS score (no older than 6 months) is mandatory during the interview for a student visa for Germany? I've applied for an MS to a university that did not require a separate English language test score (the MS course they offer is wholly taught in English), so I didn't take the test. However it appears I need one for the visa interview. Anybody with a recent experience at the consulate in Bangalore?

Cheers,
Rahul

PS: I have a TOEFL score report from 2009 if it counts
Old 19th December 2012, 16:31   #164
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJo View Post
Sorry - I should have posted my own experience in August'12 at the Bandra-Kurla US Consulate. Here goes:
Thanks for the details.
We are taking our neighbours for the biometric and the interview on two separate days.

What is the distance between these two centers? Both are in BKC itself.

Isn't there any place for sitting for those who accompany the applicants? Are they supposed to wait at the parking or on the road?

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochild View Post
Would anyone here know if a TOEFL/IELTS score (no older than 6 months) is mandatory during the interview for a student visa for Germany?
I have not heard of IELTS needed for the interview.
It is probably needed for the visa/ permanent residency.
However, with Germany this is highly unlikely. They will want you to learn German instead.
Old 19th December 2012, 16:38   #165
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the details.
We are taking our neighbours for the biometric and the interview on two separate days.

What is the distance between these two centers? Both are in BKC itself.
Distance is around 1.5 KMs.

Quote:
Isn't there any place for sitting for those who accompany the applicants? Are they supposed to wait at the parking or on the road?
Yes there is no place.

However, you can hop to coffee shop in Trident that is just across the road. You will have to wait for couple of hours and easiest way to kill time is to sip couple of coffees and play games on your phone/tablet.

Most Viewed