Team-BHP > Shifting gears


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 3rd January 2011, 15:42   #256
BHPian
 
ramki067's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: BANGALORE
Posts: 595
Thanked: 29 Times
Default Re: Best Life Insurance provider

My bro is 23 and want to start to take a life insurance(for 50L), rest to invest for tax savings and then invest for his future. What do you bhpians suggest? His take home is 15K/month and became a permanent employee from this month.

Thanks
Ramki

Last edited by ramki067 : 3rd January 2011 at 15:43.
ramki067 is offline  
Old 3rd January 2011, 16:29   #257
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,091
Thanked: 681 Times
Default Re: Best Life Insurance provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramki067 View Post
My bro is 23 and want to start to take a life insurance(for 50L), rest to invest for tax savings and then invest for his future. What do you bhpians suggest? His take home is 15K/month and became a permanent employee from this month.

Thanks
Ramki
Does he have any liability ? If yes then he should buy insurance if he is Bachelor and no dependents then he should invest his entire money in investment instruments for both tax saving and investments for future.

He can always buy term insurance once he has dependents.

For tax savings : PPF , voluntary PF , Infrastructure Bonds
For investment : Mutual funds


For Insurance needs : Term Plan for the sum he needs as per liability + Accidental cover and health cover if required.
amitk26 is offline  
Old 3rd January 2011, 16:52   #258
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Kolhapur
Posts: 1,583
Thanked: 993 Times
Default Re: Best Life Insurance provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramki067 View Post
My bro is 23 and want to start to take a life insurance(for 50L),
Why does he want to insure his life?
carboy is online now  
Old 3rd January 2011, 16:53   #259
BHPian
 
ramki067's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: BANGALORE
Posts: 595
Thanked: 29 Times
Default Re: Best Life Insurance provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Why does he want to insure his life?
True, my bad! What are the options he has now, for investment purposes?

Thanks,
Ramki
ramki067 is offline  
Old 4th January 2011, 08:22   #260
Senior - BHPian
 
ghodlur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Thane
Posts: 5,480
Thanked: 2,891 Times
Default Re: Best Life Insurance provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramki067 View Post
True, my bad! What are the options he has now, for investment purposes?

Thanks,
Ramki
Without any goal in mind, investments does not make sense. Ask you brother to list down his goals (Short term + long term). Since he is young and does not have any liability he can safely look into Equity - Mutual funds, Stocks, real estate etc.

He can reveiw his goals once he has additional responsibilites.
ghodlur is offline  
Old 16th February 2011, 17:51   #261
BHPian
 
neon_daytona's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 106
Thanked: 11 Times
Default Re: Best Life Insurance provider

I have a home loan for 26 lakhs with HDFC.
I have a wife and son as dependents.

I was planning to take a term insurance and needed advice.

First thing I wanted to take a house insurance from HDFC ERGO.
Premium quoted Rs 2600

Next is reducing coverage term for covering the loan(which would be better)? Single premium or Regular premium anything is fine.

I have a group life insurance coverage from employer which is roughly 3 times my Annual CTC. Plus a few endowment, money backs and ulips that amount to roughly Rs. 10lakhs.

Is that sufficient or should I need more. No other loans. I do have some emergency funds and PF accumulated to last easily for a year if needed.

Last edited by neon_daytona : 16th February 2011 at 17:52.
neon_daytona is offline  
Old 17th February 2011, 09:07   #262
Senior - BHPian
 
ghodlur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Thane
Posts: 5,480
Thanked: 2,891 Times
Default Re: Best Life Insurance provider

Quote:
First thing I wanted to take a house insurance from HDFC ERGO.
Premium quoted Rs 2600
Your post does not specifically say whether you need a home Insurance or home loan insurance. They are two different products. Home loan insurance is to cover the home loan in case death whereas the home insuarnce is to insure you home against any perils like fire etc. Looking at the amount quoted, it is likely for the latter than the former.

Quote:
Next is reducing coverage term for covering the loan(which would be better)? Single premium or Regular premium anything is fine.
This depends on you paying capability. If you are comfortbale paying single premium then you should opt for it. This way you dont need to keep track every year for premium payment. Else regular premium is the only choice.

Quote:
I have a group life insurance coverage from employer which is roughly 3 times my Annual CTC. Plus a few endowment, money backs and ulips that amount to roughly Rs. 10lakhs.
Is that sufficient or should I need more. No other loans. I do have some emergency funds and PF accumulated to last easily for a year if needed
The thumb rule is to have Insurance equivalent to 10 times your net salary.
ghodlur is offline  
Old 17th February 2011, 14:01   #263
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Kochi
Posts: 2,353
Thanked: 491 Times
Default Re: Best Life Insurance provider

Quote:
The thumb rule is to have Insurance equivalent to 10 times your net salary.
Allow me to rephrase that.

The insurance amount, if invested in safe instruments, should fetch your family a sum equivalent to your current income.

If that is very simplistic, introduce your own objectives :-D
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline  
Old 11th March 2011, 21:01   #264
Senior - BHPian
 
Rahulk76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: PNQ
Posts: 1,139
Thanked: 224 Times
Default Re: Best Life Insurance provider

Hello Guys

One of my colleagues has surrendered a 5 1/2 year life policy. Will the surrender value recieved by him taxable ?

Rahul
Rahulk76 is offline  
Old 12th March 2011, 15:15   #265
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Kochi
Posts: 2,353
Thanked: 491 Times
Default Re: Best Life Insurance provider

No - surrender proceeds of a life insurance policy are not subject to tax.
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline  
Old 12th March 2011, 16:15   #266
BHPian
 
PM - B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 207
Thanked: 320 Times
Default Re: Best Life Insurance provider

Of the types of Life Insurance available,
1. Term Insurance is worth considering,

Term Insurance is like your car insurance, you pay the premium, if nothing happens, you do not get anything at the end of the term.
And NO, no No Claim Bonus either.

But this has an extremely low insurance premium

You can try the aegon religare site for an online quote.
For eg, if you are 30Years old and you take a 25 year term for a sum assurred of 3 crores, your annual premium is 31, 200.

I guess this would be one of the cheapest that is available to anybody, no negotiating or any such hassle.
PM - B is offline  
Old 13th March 2011, 00:52   #267
BHPian
 
Jaguar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 882
Thanked: 948 Times
Default Re: Best Life Insurance provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by PM - B View Post
Of the types of Life Insurance available,
1. Term Insurance is worth considering,

Term Insurance is like your car insurance, you pay the premium, if nothing happens, you do not get anything at the end of the term.
And NO, no No Claim Bonus either.

But this has an extremely low insurance premium

You can try the aegon religare site for an online quote.
For eg, if you are 30Years old and you take a 25 year term for a sum assurred of 3 crores, your annual premium is 31, 200.

I guess this would be one of the cheapest that is available to anybody, no negotiating or any such hassle.
I am 28 years old and getting a quote of Rs. 60,555 for a 25 year plan with 3 crores sum assured. Where are you getting such a low quote from?

I got from Life Insurance Quote Generate instant term life insurance quote
Jaguar is offline  
Old 13th March 2011, 02:46   #268
BHPian
 
PM - B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 207
Thanked: 320 Times
Default Re: Best Life Insurance provider

you can check here.

iTerm Plan | Term Life | Term Insurance | Term Life Insurance
PM - B is offline  
Old 16th April 2011, 07:38   #269
Distinguished - BHPian
 
selfdrive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 2,942
Thanked: 3,123 Times
Default Re: Best Life Insurance provider

What is surrender value? does it apply to term policies too?

I have a term policy for 33L which I am considering to discontinue (I have paid for 3 years). I will be taking a new policy for 50L at the same premium as the other policy. Should I expect any surrender value?
selfdrive is offline  
Old 16th April 2011, 22:28   #270
Senior - BHPian
 
hrman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,022
Thanked: 595 Times
Default Re: Best Life Insurance provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
What is surrender value? does it apply to term policies too?

I have a term policy for 33L which I am considering to discontinue (I have paid for 3 years). I will be taking a new policy for 50L at the same premium as the other policy. Should I expect any surrender value?
Term policies don't come with any surrender value. You would lose any premium you have paid as of date.
hrman is offline  
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright 2000 - 2021, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks