Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 21st August 2008, 12:17   #46
BHPian

This is a pure breed doberman and is the most aggressive dog i have ever seen, his name is spiky and he is very playful but also very very aggressive.He is 13 months old. As the characteristics of a doberman he is very alert and guarding and is very protective for the family.
Is there any method to calm him down???
Dogs For Adoption-spiky.jpg
swapnil.rahate is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2008, 16:29   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swapnil.rahate View Post
This is a pure breed doberman and is the most aggressive dog i have ever seen, his name is spiky and he is very playful but also very very aggressive.He is 13 months old. As the characteristics of a doberman he is very alert and guarding and is very protective for the family.
Is there any method to calm him down???
Attachment 40779
A Dobberman by nature is aggressive (except mine who was the dumbest most docile dobby that i ever knew)
You are probably keeping him confined or tied most of the time. Stop that. Then take him out for a walk in crowded places and he will realize that all people are not harmful. Most aggression comes from within us when we ask him to attack or bark etc. This if not done will make the dog docile.
I told you about my Dobby that i had, he was never tied but still was aggressive enough at night when alone. This is needed. But my present Boxer has not barked at a single person. Looks like i will need a ferocious breed to take care of him now.
Thats the most you can do as his nature is now set.
V-16 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2008, 19:18   #48
BHPian

Hi,
I have a black lab - Shiny. He is 7 years old and very friendly one.He always wags its tail and be friendly with strangers too.We have moved in to a spacious house and I wanted an aggressive fellow who has to be a guarding one .I am thinking of adopting a SIBERIAN HUSKY. Where can i get him in bangalore..... and any other advise?
Old 21st August 2008, 20:33   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bglsrini View Post
Hi,
I have a black lab - Shiny. He is 7 years old and very friendly one.He always wags its tail and be friendly with strangers too.We have moved in to a spacious house and I wanted an aggressive fellow who has to be a guarding one .I am thinking of adopting a SIBERIAN HUSKY. Where can i get him in bangalore..... and any other advise?
I doubt Siberian Husky in Bangalore.

The german shepherd could be a good guard dog..
Old 21st August 2008, 20:42   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlieonwheels View Post
After I got him back in my current accommodation (that does not have any lawn or garden area) he was not too happy. So I decided to let him be happy and with my parents only – after all even your kids leave you one day and go away.
).

That's a good thing you let him back at your parents place for him to enjoy and i hope you get a better one suitable for your place..
Old 21st August 2008, 20:44   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bglsrini View Post
Hi,
.I am thinking of adopting a SIBERIAN HUSKY. Where can i get him in bangalore..... and any other advise?
Quote:
Originally Posted by gowda79 View Post
I doubt Siberian Husky in Bangalore.

The german shepherd could be a good guard dog..
A Siberian Husky... and you are hoping one will come up for adoption? You are really optimistic buddy
Firstly a SH is very very rare India and secondly not recommended for our climate.
See thats the problem. What makes you think a SH is a ferocious breed. You will need to take a whole lot of care. These dogs do not agree with warm climates and they need oodles of exercise. Where do you get him a climate as in Alsaka to exercise?
My friend has one in Bombay and he keeps him 24x7 in the a/c. You should see when he comes back from his daily walk. He looks like hes going to collapse.
If one is available for sale, dont get it as you will be doing the poor dog a favour, as for adoption i hope you get one but seriously I think thats going to be very remote.
You need a guard dog, get a GSD, Rottweiler or a Dobberman. They are as ferocious as they get as its in their nature and if trained properly can be very good domestic pets too.
V-16 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2008, 22:00   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
A Siberian Husky... and you are hoping one will come up for adoption? You are really optimistic buddy
Firstly a SH is very very rare India and secondly not recommended for our climate.
See thats the problem. What makes you think a SH is a ferocious breed. You will need to take a whole lot of care. These dogs do not agree with warm climates and they need oodles of exercise. Where do you get him a climate as in Alsaka to exercise?
My friend has one in Bombay and he keeps him 24x7 in the a/c. You should see when he comes back from his daily walk. He looks like hes going to collapse.
If one is available for sale, dont get it as you will be doing the poor dog a favour, as for adoption i hope you get one but seriously I think thats going to be very remote.
You need a guard dog, get a GSD, Rottweiler or a Dobberman. They are as ferocious as they get as its in their nature and if trained properly can be very good domestic pets too.
Yes,I understand......let me look for other option.I dont wany my dog to suffer.
Old 30th August 2008, 23:01   #53
BHPian

Hi,
I heard about BULL Mastiff. Friends say its a good dog. Like to know is there white colour available. Need suggetion about this dog. Where can i get/buy it in bangalore?
Old 31st August 2008, 10:50   #54
Senior - BHPian

I adopted a dog three years ago named toughie. and must say he is one the most intelligent dogs i have ever seen!!
Old 31st August 2008, 10:54   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_dog_lover View Post
I too agree with NetfreakBombay in that Labs are prone to health problems but I think it's mostly due to the ignorance or lack of care and time-spending with our pets.

If we follow a proper diet and exercise regimen, most of the health problems of Labs can be avoided.

I myself am a hard-core Labrador lover. All my previous pets have been Labs.

Just my 2 cents of opinion.

By the way - GREETINGS to all Dog Lovers on this forum from SHOGUN!!

Attachment 38240 Attachment 38241 Attachment 38242 Attachment 38243

what a beautiful labrador!!
Old 30th July 2009, 16:20   #56
BHPian

i have been in company with dogs since i was a child . we have two german shepherds back home and they are completely adorable. we always preffered them , my pa and mom just loves them and they r a part of family.

one thing i have noticed with other ppeople having dogs are unnecessary chaining them . they then tend to become more aggresive and could bite considering the other one as enemy . my dogs have never been chained till now not a single one of them till now. and they seem to be happy not gettin chained

You cannot leave my home without givin them a ride as soon as u open the car door they are in . hheh

a powerful stress buster for me just love them .
Old 19th January 2016, 11:46   #57
Senior - BHPian

Re: Dogs For Adoption

Reviving a very old thread. I hope Canine Lovers are still around in the Forum.

I am keen on adopting a Beagle Pup. Does anyone have any pointers?

Location - Delhi NCR.

Thank You.
Old 2nd December 2018, 21:03   #58
BHPian

Bumping up this thread.
Anyone aware about lhasa apso or Shihtzu for adoption?!
Old 2nd December 2018, 22:37   #59
BHPian

Both are expensive breeds and will have difficulties in our warm climate. Where are you located, your best option would be to look on Facebook for rescue and adoption groups for your city.
digitalnirvana is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2018, 12:25   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalnirvana View Post
Both are expensive breeds and will have difficulties in our warm climate. Where are you located, your best option would be to look on Facebook for rescue and adoption groups for your city.
+1 to that.

The BEST dogs for our weather conditions and requirements are our very own stray/pie/streeties/Indie doggies. They may not have the 'status' of a 'pedigree' breed (but with the shady practices of almost all dog breeders in our country, none of those so called pedigree dogs are really purebred or pedigree anyway). Streeties are intelligent, loyal, tough, disease-resistant, suited to our weather conditions, low-maintenance, loving and make great guard dogs.

An old post on this thread talks about Siberian Huskies being a rare breed in Bangalore. Sadly, that is no longer the case- I see them everywhere, especially in the more upmarket areas of town. I also see the sad conditions in which these dogs are kept and bred by breeders in the more downmarket areas of town.

Do you want a dog or a status symbol?

The demand for such pedigree dogs and the prices people in the city are willing to pay for such dogs have lead to several illegal dog breeding sites in Bangalore. The adult dogs are kept confined in small areas and are used mainly for breeding. I see one such Siberian Husky kept inside a small cage everyday on the way to work. Interbreeding between dogs from the same litter is also not uncommon, so much so that popular breeds like Labradors almost always carry the strains of degenerative diseases like hip displasya.

Funnily enough, most of the popular breeds are really not suitable as pets in small residential city homes, Labs and Dobermans are high energy working dogs, they need space and a LOT of exercise (I used to have a Lab myself (took him in after a colleague who was the original owner didn't want him anymore(!)), but I would never get one again!). Siberian Huskies, Alaskan Malamutes and Saint Bernards- I pity those 3 breeds in our hot conditions the most.

Adopt a stray dog from any one of the several animal organizations. You'll do the dogs and yourself a favour. And avoid being an unwitting supporter of the (mostly) illegal dog breeding industry in the country.

Last edited by am1m : 3rd December 2018 at 12:27.
am1m is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed