Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th June 2008, 10:37   #1
BHPian

Dogs For Adoption

Hi Guys,
I have been getting loads of cases where people getting dogs, suddenly realizing that they can't keep them any more and then putting them up for adoption. Well that's the humane way. Worse is when they just drive up in their cars, opening the door or even worse, rolling down the window and throwing the poor soul out on the street.

These house pets go through a harrowing time on the streets, unable to cope and in deep shock, they get run down by vehicles, attacked by other street dogs or get tortured by sadistic humans.

I therefore appeal to all to help find these dogs a loving caring family who'll look after them for life.

Warm Regards,
Tanmay.
St. Anger is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2008, 10:45   #2
BHPian

Hey Tanmay,

that's really a good thought.

Are there these kind of organisations in Mumbai who take care of these poor souls.

I would surely give a thought as I have been thinking for a long to get a puppy at my home, then why not these.

I am very much interested in knowing more details on these.
Old 27th June 2008, 10:47   #3
BHPian

Leo, a 9 month old beautiful yellow Labrador for adoption in Mumbai.

Leo is vaccinated and neutered!! He is hyper-active, playful and extremely loving. Leo needs lots of time and patience and he needs a home where he gets ample of space to run around and burn out his energy.

People who have other dogs and kids below 13 years, please excuse as Leo is quite a handful.
He needs to be in a home with an experienced dog owner who will love him and look after him for life. He has mild HD (Hip Dysplasia) and he needs a calcium supplement for it.
Old 27th June 2008, 12:33   #4
BANNED

Nice thread .. I have 3 babies and all 3 have been adopted and on Sunday I may adopt another one . This time its gonna be a 2 yr ol St. Bernard female and Im adopting her so that Shadow ( St. Bernard for those of you who don't know him ) can have a play mate/companion/partner .

Keeping my fingers crossed and will keep you update !!

For those who havn't met Shadow .. a pic of him below taken in Nov'07 !!
Dogs For Adoption-shadowwk7.jpg

Note from mod: Pic moved to TBHP server, externally hosted pictures not allowed

Last edited by tsk1979 : 27th June 2008 at 14:04. Reason: external hosting
khaadu75 is offline   (1) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 27th June 2008, 13:43   #5
Senior - BHPian

Shadow looks amazing Khaadu. He could sure use a playmate. Do post pictures of the new arrival once she comes home.
Old 27th June 2008, 13:47   #6
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
Shadow looks amazing Khaadu. He could sure use a playmate. Do post pictures of the new arrival once she comes home.

Definitely Dippy ... but lets hope she does come to us !! Will be meeting her parents/family who is putting her up for adoption on Sunday so lets see how that goes .
Old 28th June 2008, 01:23   #7
BHPian

Shadow looks super gorgeous Khaadu. Envy you for having a St. Bernie and commend you for aiming to adopt another one. The super large breeds sure need some extra care. All the Best. Cheers
Old 28th June 2008, 15:50   #8
Senior - BHPian

Great thought St.Anger and Shadow looks great Khaadu.
Recently, I got a call from an animal welfare worker who is a close friend of mine. She knew of a 5 month old, male Jack Russel's Terrier (the dog in "The Mask") which was being offered for adoption. I went to see the little bundle of energy and it was instant love. No one was coming forward to adopt him. These little guys although small and nothing to look at, have tremendous energy reserves, enough to drive a person up the wall. They need constant atention and can get quite ferocious.
Anyways, whoever came to adopt him, after spending a few minutes politely declined. When i entered, he was on the bed, pulling away at the bed cover to one side and was growling at anyone who tried to stop him.
I still wanted to get him. I already have a Boxer, who is super charged with energy most of the times and as lazy as they go too, both in a mix. HE is a very loving and docile fella who cant hurt a fly. Thought he would get a good companion and both can exhaust their energy.
So i agreed to get "Tipo" as he was called. After getting all his likes and dislikes etc, all noted, the owners mother stepped in to hug him one last time and started to bawl like a baby. I suggested to her that she should not let go of him as he would be happiest at their home, his original home.
To make a long story short, as if she was waiting for someone to sugggest this, she, with tears flowing down her wrinkled cheeks, apologetically asked if she could keep him.
"Of course" i said. He was theirs anyways.
I left their house empty handed and I remember the old lady thanking me for t asking her to keep him back. Why was she thanking me. It was what she wanted to do in the first place. I only hope she had realised it earlier.
This story is now almost nine months old and im glad to say Tipo is doing well with his original family. They have accepted and got used to him.
The moral of the story is that only get a Dog/pet if you can guarantee a home. You are adding another member of the family, not a show piece to put in your mantle.
In the meanwhile I am in the lookout for a good clean dog as a playmate and companion for Tyson. Anyone know of a dog for adoption max age 6 months, please pm me. Thanks.
V-16 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2008, 18:30   #9
BHPian

@ v-16,

Am glad Tipo is back with his original family. That's one happy ending that is rare these days. Kudos to your efforts. Any luck with your search of another K9 partner ?

I'll pass on the word and keep you posted if anything comes up.
Old 10th August 2008, 18:48   #10
BHPian

great read V-16 I believe you made the owner realise things !!

Really nice of you St Anger.

Mine is a chocolate Labrador, dogs need attention and people who turn their backs to the dogs are worse creatures. St Anger, looks like you have a lot of dog ownership experience may be you can share some details, just a clarification as calcium supplement you are trying to mean syrup like osto pet or ostocalcium right ? I remember giving it for almost for 6months for my labrador in doses of 5ml per day.
Old 10th August 2008, 18:49   #11
Senior - BHPian

I should've posted on this thread before I went looking for a dog for my son...no regrets, though - Don is proving to be a very energetic and extremely intelligent member of the family.
Old 11th August 2008, 10:34   #12
BHPian

My friend would like to adopt a Labrador Retriever for his family. If you guys know of anyone in Bangalore who can help us. Please let us know. I have lost many contacts over the last few years and i am not able to get anyone. Asking my Vet has fetched no results either.
Old 11th August 2008, 11:09   #13
jp1
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiftron View Post
My friend would like to adopt a Labrador Retriever for his family. If you guys know of anyone in Bangalore who can help us. Please let us know. I have lost many contacts over the last few years and i am not able to get anyone. Asking my Vet has fetched no results either.
I am not sure whether this is what you are looking for... I found an abandoned brown female labrador a month ago near my house (in Koramangala) and it was there for 2 days and was very weak, but quite active and very friendly. I called CUPA and they had taken it. It must be around 1 year old. As I already have one adopted from street, I could not take it. They may still have it. If you are interested, you can try CUPA.
jp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2008, 22:28   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
I am not sure whether this is what you are looking for... I found an abandoned brown female labrador a month ago near my house (in Koramangala) and it was there for 2 days and was very weak, but quite active and very friendly. I called CUPA and they had taken it. It must be around 1 year old. As I already have one adopted from street, I could not take it. They may still have it. If you are interested, you can try CUPA.
Thanks JP, i will try contacting CUPA. I hope we can get a nice pet for my friend. I am mostly looking for a labrador puppy as they get along well with kids.
Old 11th August 2008, 23:20   #15
BHPian

@ Swiftron,
Don't wish to discourage you or anything, but i just wish to put forth my two-bits of Lab experience.

The Labrador Retriever as a breed is very people friendly and a popular choice for a family pet. However, it's a common misconception that only puppies get along very well with kids.

In fact, up until two years of age, Labs are considered to be pups and are full of beans. As a breed they are so playful and and energetic that they tend to break many a glassware items with their enthusiastic tail-wagging.

On the other hand, they tend to mature at around 4-5 years of age when they become really safe to keep amongst kids. Till such time i'd advise a potential owner to be on their guard.

I repeat, however,

A Labrador if true to it's breed, CANNOT BE AGGRESSIVE.

Last edited by St. Anger : 11th August 2008 at 23:21.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks