Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 6th July 2008, 10:27   #61
Team-BHP Support

OH MY GOD!! Yeti i think you need to STRIKE Back!

Sam the resemblance (looks wise) is, well what can i say, is 3 much! Add few feets in height (body) and minus few inches on width (face), plonk in a moosh and voila!
Old 7th July 2008, 05:33   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
OH MY GOD!! Yeti i think you need to STRIKE Back!

Sam the resemblance (looks wise) is, well what can i say, is 3 much! Add few feets in height (body) and minus few inches on width (face), plonk in a moosh and voila!
Minus those fine clothes.. i have never seen Yeti in more than shorts and a t-shirt

Goddy
Old 7th July 2008, 13:18   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumitB View Post
......also, don't forget, whatever Rajnikant does or say, becomes style!

Frankly, Kamal Hasan and Rajnikant are demi Gods down South with lakhs of people behind them. I remember that when Sivaji was to be released, the news channels reported that the bookings were closed weeks before its release and that was the situtation for months! It seems these two cannot do anything wrong. Of the two, Rajni is a bigger star(?).
Kamal is well known for his acting skills, dancing abilities, romantic guy (famous for his kissing scenes in movies) and Rajni for his charismatic style, but a real crowd puller. Rajni has more fan following and his movies are a great hit in Japan too.

When Sivaji released, it was not only in India the tickets where sold out but in US as well. I saw an interview in a news channel, a couple of software eng's travelled all the way from East coast to Seattle to watch the movie.
Old 7th July 2008, 14:29   #64
BANNED

Six days to start narrating what you did in 4 hours?? Sam, c'mon, out with it!!!

Last edited by Technocrat : 7th July 2008 at 15:34. Reason: removed stars, even indirect usage of slangs is not allowed
Old 7th July 2008, 14:50   #65
Senior - BHPian

It will take another 3-4 days to come back to life as Sam is busy with work (FINALLY !! )

Till then you guys can keep guessing how the story progresses.
Old 7th July 2008, 15:11   #66
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
Till then you guys can keep guessing how the story progresses.
Ok lemme try. You had actually bought tickets for a movie starring Rajnikanth and forced the Yeti to watch it.

But at the end, he was grateful to you 'coz any movie is better than the Mere Baap crap
Old 7th July 2008, 19:13   #67
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
It will take another 3-4 days
Waaaa!!!!

What that smiley which represents the face of a kid who is told that his ice cream will take another 10 minutes to come??
Old 10th July 2008, 12:14   #68
Distinguished - BHPian

YetiBlog® - Dinner with Aditi

Kabhi kabhi Aditi koi apna lagta hai...

Nice decor. A simple cafe but nice uhhh jungle style wooden tables and benches. Dark, almost black uneven wooden, looks very sumatran.
Thai and chinese are on the menu, a young Sardarji with a sporty black pugree at the cash counter.

He doesn't really look up at the client, but he's obviously really enjoying the music. The fabric covered bundle of hair on his head is bobbing to the beat of the music.

Aditi has de has de has de tu zara...

A friend directed that movie and was deeply involved in the creation of the music and had many long meetings with the music director A.R. Rahman. This is Abbas' directorial debut and we're all very proud of him. Besides I like that song, it makes me smile.

It obviously does a lot more to the young Sardarji.

Nahi to buss thoda thoda thoda muskura...

The soup-du-jour is not Tom Yum, but a quick request to the smiley waiter and 10 minutes later we have two dark uneven sumatran bowls full of some very hot soup fragrant with lemongrass and galangal.
Gautam is right, this is a very very good Tom Yum indeed.

The wooden spoon is a little inconvenient and I decide to lift my bowl closer to my mouth. This is after all, an East Asian restaurant.

The soups are disposed off rather quickly and we're happily chatting away about life, work and our respective partners. We come to the common conclusion that women can often be complicated and difficult.

We will order a bit later, we have time. We pause while talking and absorb the simple ambience.

Aditi has de has de has de tu zara...

It has been about 20 minutes since we're here. By my reckoning, this would then be the 3rd or 4th time this song is playing back to back. Instinctively I look towards sporty sardarji. One hand on the mouse, both legs on his high stool, black pugree is bobbing in a funky bollywood headbang.
Well at least he is bobbing to the beat perfectly.

Sardars always get the beat right. It is in their blood. Delhi, Punjab, Mumbai it matters not, give a Sikh a good beat and he is fully set. it is always hilarious to see regular people trying to do the Bhangra in a silly off-beat manner, the only thing we get right is the hands up in the air.
Then comes the Sardar, he jumps in and makes this joyous, concentrated intense face, one loud OYYY or a BRRUUAAAHH and he's off dancing with intensity. To the beat, perfectly. You have got to hand it to them for that.

Nahi to buss thoda thoda thoda muskura...

But this is not Bhangra. Anyways, it's his restaurant. But it has probably been 7 times already. But..

Let's order, I'm hungry!

We order the main course. The predictable green curry + steamed rice combination. It is magnificent. We're happily chatting away on new topics now. Food, life, movies, Shakti Kapoor and everything else. It is always very refreshing when we're together. I mentally decide that we must do exactly this at least once a month.

Can we have another portion of rice please?
Kuchch peeyega?
One regular coke and one diet coke please.

The meal is soon over and the sumatran plates and uneven wooden spoons are taken away. It is now almost time to leave.

The song is over coincidentally at the same time we take a break in the conversation. For about 5 seconds I can hear the echoing sounds of a few people in this rather large atrium.

Kabhi kabhi Aditi...

I turn towards gautam and I am about to explode. He knows perfectly well what I am about to say.

Yeh aadmi thoda paagal hai.

?

Arrey when this guy likes some song he plays it all bloody day. I have been here before and it was some other song, I can't remember. He just puts it on repeat and just bloody plays it ALL day!! Paagal.

We both turn to him. He is now bobbing even harder than he was when we came into his cafe. Paagal, lol.

We pay up and leave. My mouth is burning, I want ice-cream.
We stop at the Basking Robbers cart and I order myself a crunchy something. The Don doesn't want any, so I'm happily licking and munching away like a happy chappy.

Time to now go and see what the movie is all about.

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 10th July 2008 at 12:17.
Sam Kapasi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2008, 12:41   #69
BHPian

Good going Sam!

Suddenly i feel like having chinese! Yummmmm!

Elito
Old 10th July 2008, 15:58   #70
Distinguished - BHPian

YetiBlog® - Almost at the movies

I'm enjoying my Basking Robbers ice cream as we show our tickets to the guard and ascend the escalator to the cinema hall level.

There's a motley bunch of young people upstairs. What other kind would come to watch a movie at 11 in the night on a working day? Gautam and I are people watching.
A bunch of orthodox Tamilian Brahmins walk in, holding their mundus. First we see 5 then another 6 and then another 10. I am flummoxed.
A Kamaal Hassan movie is on, explains Gautam with a knowing smile. They're all here to see Dashavataram.

It's 10.55pm and we still cannot get inside the cinema hall. The previous show is still on!! That's a bit weird, innit? We discuss the matter and decide that they must be running behind schedule. The previous show was at 8pm. It cannot possibly be running till 11, lol.

We walk around aimlessly. I see a Gelato cart. Oh NO! They have Gelato here!! It's for - I blink - Rs. 40 a scoop!!! I just paid more than that for a Basking Robbers! It wasn't bad, that Mr. Robber knows his Ice Cream, but a Gelato for forty bucks is too tempting.

Gelato khaega? I ask hopefully, hoping to reduce my guilt by joining him instead.
KXA.
-------------------------------
If you are wondering what KXA is, this is a typical Indian sound made when indicating a direct no. I can think of no other way to spell it.
It is similar to a sound made when trying to control a horse or mule. I have no idea why we all make this sound to indicate a negative response.

Suggestions on how to spell KXA are solicited.
----------------------------------------
Now that Gautam has said no, I am a bit disappointed. More so because I have barely just finished my Basking. Ah what the heck it is only 40 bucks for a whole Gelato.

Fresh Strawberry Yogurt please.

I am smiling as I think of my Gelato.
Waffle cone please.
I am smiling as I think of my waffle cone. I am clutching 4 notes of Rs. 10/-

He gives me my Gelato.

I feel like Gulliver.

The cone and the scoop need some kind of special magnification to be clearly visible. I am holding my breath because if I breathe normally, the little scoop will fly off the cone and hit the vendor in his right eye.
To call this thing a cone is a disgrace, because it is about the size of a Reynold's ballpen ka cover.

I want to eat it slowly because it is so little, but I am afrraid that the Ice Cream will melt and mess up my fingernail. It won't reach my finger, there isn't ice cream in that *shudder* cone to reach there.

Dammit. It's 11.10 pm and we're still waiting outside the cinema hall.

The gates open and a few people step out. Ah well, it is a weekday.
We walk in and settle down. Soon the national anthem plays and we stand in silence.

It's over, we sit down and grin in anticipation.

It's showtime.

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 10th July 2008 at 16:01.
Sam Kapasi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2008, 17:49   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post

Suggestions on how to spell KXA are solicited.
try putting an exclaimation mark in front of it, as Russell Peters found out. Something like "!KXA".
Old 10th July 2008, 17:58   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
I think you should. And the faster the better. Because the crap that comes out as Hindi movies (in all departments - direction, screenplay, acting, lyrics, music, choreography, cinematography etc etc), ain't a patch on the movies that are made down south (well, mostly mallu-land and tamilnadu)
Totally agree with you. I would also put Mallu movies a shade above Tamil.
I am not a mallu myself- but I got to accept facts when i see them.
Quote:
I grew up in West, North and NE India - and this assessment is after experiencing the quality of movies all over India. So this is no regional jingoism.
I grew up in east and north and agree with you. Satyajit Ray movies are of course very good, but they are more 'arty'/serious type of movies. For good clean commercial entertainment, with good stories, Mallu/Tamil movies had shown the way quite some time back.
Quote:
With all due respect, navin sir, you are seriously under-estimating the phenomenon called Rajnikant
Grossly. There is something magical about the man. I have seen even 3/4 yr olds being mesmerised by his presence on screen. I can't think of anyone else in India who can generate this kind of mania.
Old 10th July 2008, 18:00   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post

He gives me my Gelato.

I feel like Gulliver.
Sam literally ran to the Gelato stand and when he got it in his hand - I still remember his expression - it said "What the hell am I holding in my hands ? Kahan phas gaya ?"
Old 10th July 2008, 18:39   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridharps View Post
I can't think of anyone else in India who can generate this kind of mania.
(Raises hand)

I know of one - goes by the name of Sam Kapasi

LOL
Old 10th July 2008, 19:30   #75
Senior - BHPian

This may be bit of a shocker - Rajnikant is of Maharashtrian origin. His original surname is Gaekwad. Just proves home is where your heart is.

Last edited by aah78 : 11th July 2008 at 02:16. Reason: Sorry boss! That had to go. Politicians have no place on this website.

Most Viewed