Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd July 2008, 00:28   #16
BHPian

Talking about harassment. What do you guys say about girls being eve-teased almost everywhere. Nowadays if a pretty attractive girl is working anywhere, she does have her share of troubles from the people in the same firm. My gf just began working on eventing and modeling now and daily, she has loads of stories to tell. People blackmailing, eve-teasing, what not. Am so scared to send her out to work anymore. But at the same time, cant make her stick indoors all the while. Its like taking a chance.
Old 3rd July 2008, 01:50   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by furioussphinx View Post
Talking about harassment. What do you guys say about girls being eve-teased almost everywhere. Nowadays if a pretty attractive girl is working anywhere, she does have her share of troubles from the people in the same firm. My gf just began working on eventing and modeling now and daily, she has loads of stories to tell. People blackmailing, eve-teasing, what not. Am so scared to send her out to work anymore. But at the same time, cant make her stick indoors all the while. Its like taking a chance.
A price we are paying for development i would say. Its like technology, more advanced it is the more complicated it gets. And yeah you cant ask her to stay indoors, but she can definitely stand up to it if someone is trying to harass her, same issue with my baby sis, when it comes to her i would definitely hurt somebody. I hate it when people keep staring at you during our night drives and parties, its bloody irritating.
Old 10th July 2008, 00:35   #18
Senior - BHPian

People who hit/harass women should be dealt with in a certain way...

I cant mention that "way" on this forum because that ll get me banned for life for sure..
Old 10th July 2008, 00:50   #19
BANNED

SO, very unmanly act on a mans part to raise hand on a woman be it inside or outside. Indian woman has to liberate herself & stand up for herself, shunning the age old taboos that engulf her.
The male dominant society in india is pathetic & we boast of our great culture & traditional values.
LAW has to come to a womans help & enforced fiercefully.
Dont these dogs see a shadow of their own mothers & sisters in their wives?
We have beaten a lot of eve teasers & women harassers. If anyone sees any such thing , please dont shut your eyes & ears to it. Lest god forbid, it could be our women the next time.
Old 10th July 2008, 10:56   #20
BHPian

That's the problem bhp1 they do see a shadow of their own mothers and sisters,where thay have seen their mother getting thrashed by their father and sisters getting a stepmotherly treatment.
Old 10th July 2008, 11:17   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by furioussphinx View Post
Nowadays if a pretty attractive girl is working anywhere, .

Women are harrased.
There is no discrimination by the perverts when it comes to harrasing someone. They harrass as along as they feel they can get away with it. At the end of the day the pervert is a week useless person with a very low level of self esteem and confidence. They only way they can feel even an once of pride in themselves is by trying to molest someone in a situation that is to their advantage. The advantage they think they have is that the victim will suffer in silence. Once the victim hits back or even shouts back the pervert can do nothing more.

I feel sorry for these perverts. You will too when you realise exactly how they will burn in hell for all eternity. May they rest never in peace.
Old 11th July 2008, 20:01   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post
People who hit/harass women should be dealt with in a certain way...

I cant mention that "way" on this forum because that ll get me banned for life for sure..
The feeling's mutual bro. I believe its more of an awareness issue regarding laws which are there to prevent such things, people must be educated about such laws. Most people are so busy that they totally ignore it when they come across such incidents on the road. More so they are scared where it might backfire against them.
Old 18th December 2009, 13:31   #23
BANNED

One Woman Fights Back

oHERALDo :: Woman resists molestation bid, stabs man to death

Our Senile Courts should hang themselves in Shame.

I hope they make rape equivalent to murder and no lady has to take the task upon themselves to protect their dignity.

Hats off to the lady.
Old 18th December 2009, 13:54   #24
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Barbarism has many faces. One of the most common ones is a man raising his hand/ voice at a lady. Whether in public or private it is simply "not done".
Unfortunately, emancipation of women has not yet come this far, where they can retaliate.The majority of these cases find the male to be the aggressor.

However, while the above kind of behaviour is inexcusable, let's also bear in mind there are a number of cases in Urban India about situations where the reverse applies too! This fact was highlighted in a Sunday Times article a few months ago as I remember it.

Unfortunately, the Police and other authorities do not have the right to interfere in domestic disputes as per law.
Old 18th December 2009, 14:58   #25
Senior - BHPian

I work and stay in trivandrum. The buses are very crowded. This incedence happened recently. I was returning from Trivandrum towards technopark, and the bus was a fast passenger heading kollam. As soon as the bus starts people just takeup the empty seats. They are just not bothered even if they are lady seats. I got a non reserved seat.

The bus is now jampacked and it stops at a stop at pattom, couple of ladies get in and all of them are helplessly clinging to the overhead bar.

One lady finally gets some courage and tells a guy to getup from the ladies seat. The guy just refuses to pay attention. Then she again says its a ladies seat and the guy Sarcastically tells the girl that oh i didnt know that and to this she says cant you read. and he starts an arguement like show me the reserved seats for men, Trust me no one was supporting the girl. She walks up to the conductor and she says can you ask them to get up, to this the conductor replies, these people are going till the last stop how can i ask them to get up. she just keeps quite after that.

I had another guy sitting next to me so could not offer my seat to that lady, but while getting down i gave a piece of my mind to the conductor who was a old chap. I told him if he cannot do his job he should sit at home.

The biggest problem in kerala that i have noticed is no one actually interferes if the issue is connected with a girl, for everything else we mallus have a openion.

I was even thinking of writing to the local news paper, but i guess they all have better things to write about.

Pramod
Old 18th December 2009, 15:23   #26
BHPian

There is an interesting thing that I have noticed with the people in Kerala. It is about the behavior of the mass in public. First, let me make it clear that this post is not pointed to anyone here.

All are sharing their experiences here. And it seems everybody wanted to react, but they dint. They just kept quite. But WHY ? Why on earth did people keep quite ? There would be a hundred people around you with the same feeling. They would want to react. But they don't because they dont know whether the others would support them.

My advice: Please take that ONE BOLD STEP of reacting to harrassment or any injustice for that matter.I assure you that there would be a hundred people to help you. I have been in this situation more than once. Somehow I took the first step and people followed suit. So I say "Be the change you want to see"... It definitely helps.
Old 18th December 2009, 15:29   #27
BHPian

+1 Diesel Addikt :

I myself have many times seen this, when you react suddenly people get a channel to show their dissapproval. Nobody wants to take the immediate responsibility of raising the voice but if you move ahead crowd does support you for the right cause.

Recently, it happened when a few guys in a Safari, jumahead a TOLL queue & neglected everybody else standing. I got down from my car & asked them to follow the queue, they started arguing & then I felt it may not work. To my suprise i saw 4-5 other men including couple of army guys come to the location & all of them made sure that they retreated & followed the queue.

I also support what lady did was right & such sumbags have no right to live in this society

Last edited by SamtheLeo : 18th December 2009 at 15:32.
Old 18th December 2009, 17:26   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
They are just not bothered even if they are lady seats.

One lady finally gets some courage and tells a guy to getup from the ladies seat. The guy just refuses to pay attention. Then she again says its a ladies seat and the guy Sarcastically tells the girl that oh i didnt know that and to this she says cant you read. and he starts an arguement like show me the reserved seats for men, Trust me no one was supporting the girl. She walks up to the conductor and she says can you ask them to get up, to this the conductor replies, these people are going till the last stop how can i ask them to get up. she just keeps quite after that.
I had exactly the opposite experience once. My brother, my wife and I got into a private bus which was the last bus for the night going to my village from Angamaly. Typically in the last trip there would be no female passengers. So all the seats were occupied by male passengers. My wife was the only female in the bus.

She asked one of the guys to get up. He told her to request somebody else. Finally nobody got up.

We complained to the conductor. The driver stopped the bus. The conductor clearly said that the bus will not go unless the lady got a seat. People then vacated one seat.

Also I remember similar incidents many times during my college days. People used do vacate such reserved seats as soon as ladies boarded the bus. Also the ladies were quite strong in demanding people to getup from such seats.

The police also frequently used to stop the buses for checking. They used to fine the people occupying such reserved seats.

May be people are more selfish and less ashamed of such behaviour now.

Quote:
I had another guy sitting next to me so could not offer my seat to that lady
This behaviour is something peculiar to Kerala. In many of the other states ladies would not hesitate to occupy seats next to some unknown male persons if only such seats were available.

I think if the lady makes a complaint to the police, they generally take action against the conductor/bus.
Old 18th December 2009, 17:46   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselAddikt View Post
So I say "Be the change you want to see"... It definitely helps.
True, but things are changing very fast, I am from Delhi but a mallu so i understand the language verywell, There is a recent inflow of labourers, so we see a lot of these people in getting into these buses, so the change is the local crowd started getting irritated now and inturn they occupay ladies seats and start pointless arguements. The situation is very different in other places except like trivandrum and cochin where there are more construction workers due to oppertunities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamtheLeo View Post
it happened when a few guys in a Safari, jumahead a TOLL queue & neglected everybody else standing.
Never confront people like those, I have done this "boss line please" many times but i ensure i do it at the right place and with people who would understand, but anyways i agree with your point. Someone has to stand up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbiju View Post
I had exactly the opposite experience once. .
Biju, i have seen the worst kind of treatment to woman in kerala. There was once a situation where in i saw a guy pinching a girl's bottom, since the girl stood as if nothing happened i also ignored this, but later i kind of felt very bad. most of the girls fear embarassment so they keep quite. Man its indeed tough being a girl any where in India....

Pramod
Old 18th December 2009, 19:07   #30
BHPian

I agree to Pramod completely. Girls are made to suffer in multiple ways in a Kerala bus. The guys go to many extremes to touch or feel a girl while the bus is in motion. They pretend that the movement of the bus caused it.

My wife and few of her friends had a similar situation in Alleppey. She was then studying in college and one of the guys on the bus tried to act smart. The girls waited for an opportunity and stamped on the foot of the guy with the point of their heels. She says she stood on his leg for a moment, moved aside, and said sorry. The guy couldnt say anything at all.

I would say that the girls of today should come out of the bounds that they are believed to be in and should react to such situations. Like many have said here, if you see a girl reacting, there would be atleast some one to help them. Instead if the girl decides to suffer, thinking its her fate no one can help her.

Education and civic sense should be instilled in everyone. Old habits die hard, but when taught with an iron fist, the habits change in no time. But, who, when and how this iron fist will be used is still a question. We as educated men should be able to atleast not support the wrong doers when confronted with such a situation.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks