Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th June 2010, 13:56   #241
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Even my son has this habit of identfying the cars. He keep shouting the car names when we go for a drive. Pretty impressed with his memory. I think most kids do have a strong memory at their age.
I think TBHP members are producing off-springs who are pre-dominantly car lovers. My son has been fascinated with cars since he was 6 months old. I am not sure what the future has in store for him (and me)
Old 28th June 2010, 16:56   #242
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
I feel you are wrong here, Grandparents do it out of love and they know their limits, i've seen my parents pamper my kid to the hilt, but they draw a line and teach her how to behave, Even my kid demands and throws tantrums for toys, but somehow, my parents have taught us the ways of distraction We have learnt few great things from them.
Defenitely grandparents who were also parents in their lives, will teach the good things as well, no doubt about it. Else I would have been a rogue today . In my case, my parents do these short visits and hence get to spend time with us for a shortwhile, and during this while pamper takes more priority !

Just saw your post about the accident. Glad to know that your kid is safe and sound !

Last edited by s3va : 28th June 2010 at 16:58.
Old 28th June 2010, 21:13   #243
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
OT: My 3 year old son can identify most cars available in India, and some that are not.
+1 & I can understand & agree to it.
Kids these days are very knowledgable; My Son, at 2, taught my Wife to identify between Zen/800/Alto very correctly, Tavera & Innova. He identifies HD from other cruisers (not sure how). Looks like they've inbuilt gene for it.
Old 28th June 2010, 22:21   #244
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
+1 & I can understand & agree to it.
Kids these days are very knowledgable; My Son, at 2, taught my Wife to identify between Zen/800/Alto very correctly, Tavera & Innova. He identifies HD from other cruisers (not sure how). Looks like they've inbuilt gene for it.
Its wrong that we feel happy if your kid recognises car brands and shapes. Any kid that age are in the learning curve, they grasp things faster, not only cars.

We need to teach them most of the basic things , like behaviour, eating habits, less TV.

I see most of the kids at the age 2+ develop a stubborn habit of watching TV, We were very instrumental in keeping her away from TV, and today, its just half n hour of TV for her, and she's developed a habit of switching it off herself after 30 mins.
Old 28th June 2010, 22:43   #245
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Its wrong that we feel happy if your kid recognises car brands and shapes. Any kid that age are in the learning curve, they grasp things faster, not only cars.
No my dear friend ; we've mix & match of everything (rhymes, songs, alphabets, numbers, shapes) & cars are only part of it.

Quote:
We need to teach them most of the basic things , like behaviour, eating habits, less TV.
We watch TV for an average of max 1-2 hours a day all 5 of us put together & that is 90% cartoon included.

Quote:
I see most of the kids at the age 2+ develop a stubborn habit of watching TV, We were very instrumental in keeping her away from TV, and today, its just half n hour of TV for her, and she's developed a habit of switching it off herself after 30 mins.
We don't have a regular pattern on watching TV, like on weekends it might shoot upto 3 hours & sometimes we don't switch ON Tv the entire day. Trust me, we say Thanks to each other at home & my Son knows when to say Sorry & Thanks. I a firm believer that Parents & family play greater role in a child's life rather than school, teacher or society.

PS - See my other posts 1 & 2 on how things work with my Son. Things were little easy with my Son, but with my Daughter, I'm little worried.

Last edited by aargee : 28th June 2010 at 22:48.
Old 28th June 2010, 22:58   #246
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

while a lot of TV is bad, it's also true that they get a lot of information (about eating habits, behavior etc, apart from science stuff) from TV. Agreed it's a shortcut (as opposed to reading it to them and let them imagine), but don't we use shortcuts everywhere?

for that matter, my son also used to recognize brands, and I made a ppt for him to play. needless to say, most of the things he had learnt were from TV.

right now he is more into laptop rather than TV, but we are able to control it to a reasonable extent.

Quote:
We don't have a regular pattern on watching TV, like on weekends it might shoot upto 3 hours & sometimes we don't switch ON Tv the entire day.
I need to learn this from you

Quote:
Trust me, we say Thanks to each other at home & my Son knows when to say Sorry & Thanks. I a firm believer that Parents & family play greater role in a child's life rather than school, teacher or society.
and this too, I find it weird when I order a pizza and he says "thank you dad, thank you"
Old 28th June 2010, 23:31   #247
BHPian

Quote:
Why should it be wrong? Should I deprive him of his interest? Its his interest; he asks, we (wife & me) answer. He doesn't take much interst in fruits, vegetables and animals but we do teach him and he has learnt. As far as vehicles is concerned, we have not taught him anything, we have just responded to his interest. And if I can add to his knowledge by just responding to his inquisitiveness, so much the better.

Coming to TV, in terms of TV content we watch reruns of Americas Funniest Home Videos at night, and when the host waves goodbye with "Goodnight everybody", he waves back and its time to sleep. He has learned a lot of nursery rhymes, songs, alphabets, numbers, parts of the human body, etc from videos and YouTube, which he watches on his own after we do the first search for him.

Last edited by Guite : 28th June 2010 at 23:38.
Old 28th June 2010, 23:36   #248
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
while a lot of TV is bad, it's also true that they get a lot of information (about eating habits, behavior etc, apart from science stuff) from TV. Agreed it's a shortcut (as opposed to reading it to them and let them imagine), but don't we use shortcuts everywhere?
Yes a lot of TV is bad & trust me that includes the good cartoons. Now days the cartoons too have gone bad & that makes me real frustrated . Regarding habits, please suggest me some good channels where I can get this. This is one of the primary reasons why we keep out of TV.

Quote:
right now he is more into laptop rather than TV, but we are able to control it to a reasonable extent.
My Son started to laptop, but then we cooked up stories saying laptop belongs to office (which is true indeed) & if people at office comes to know about this, they would fire me off & after that no money, no money means no car, no motorcycle, no chocolates, no computer (the desktop) & we made him tell - No to laptops.

Quote:
I find it weird when I order a pizza and he says "thank you dad, thank you"
Well true as I'd this initially, but just think of it, while in US we admire everything, when back to India we try to live US lifestyle as much as possible right from McD, choppers, cars, but why not few good things? This is the thought that made me overcome my awkwardness.
Old 28th June 2010, 23:37   #249
Team-BHP Support

My 15 month old daughter absolutely loves the Volvo B7Rs plying across the streets of Bangalore in their red color. If she cries, and i take her to the balcony, all i need to do is point her to a Volvo and she stops crying. She hasnt had her first ride in one as yet, though. I am now in the process of trying to teach her to say 'volvo'.
Old 29th June 2010, 08:23   #250
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Regarding habits, please suggest me some good channels where I can get this. This is one of the primary reasons why we keep out of TV.
pbs kids has some really good programs, not sure if you can get it in india.
Old 29th June 2010, 10:10   #251
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
My 15 month old daughter absolutely loves the Volvo B7Rs plying across the streets of Bangalore in their red color. If she cries, and i take her to the balcony, all i need to do is point her to a Volvo and she stops crying. She hasnt had her first ride in one as yet, though. I am now in the process of trying to teach her to say 'volvo'.
Thats sweet.
My 14 month old, every time she sees a car, be it on tv, on my phone or out from the balcony, she goes "Ka". And every time she sees a dog or hears a bark, she goes "boo booo"
Old 29th June 2010, 10:21   #252
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Regarding habits, please suggest me some good channels where I can get this.
When my son was a toddler I found Pogo channel to be very good for this purpose.
Old 29th June 2010, 11:13   #253
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Thats sweet.
My 14 month old, every time she sees a car, be it on tv, on my phone or out from the balcony, she goes "Ka". And every time she sees a dog or hears a bark, she goes "boo booo"
Looks like dogs are a favourite.. my daughter jumps with happiness when she sees a dog, and even attempts to pat it, which we dont allow, since we dont have a pet dog. She yells "Baow baow" to the dog, possibly scaring even the dog.
Old 29th June 2010, 11:47   #254
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Trust me, we say Thanks to each other at home & my Son knows when to say Sorry & Thanks. I a firm believer that Parents & family play greater role in a child's life rather than school, teacher or society.
Quote:
and this too, I find it weird when I order a pizza and he says "thank you dad, thank you"
Recently my son's school had a session for parents. This is exactly what the school advised parents, to say Thank you/Sorry to the kid. These days, my son reminds me to say Thank you/Sorry even if I don't (he has picked up this habit from teachers who remind the kids if the kids forget). As per the school, this will help in kid inculcating the right manners. The term school used was - 'parental role modeling'.

I too find this weird. But until the kid is old enough to understand and differentiate formal vs informal interactions, I think I should follow school's advice.
Old 29th June 2010, 12:14   #255
BHPian

I have come out the excitement phase that I had initially whenever my son started identified cars , buses etc

Now i am more concerned about his riding habits !!!

He has started to imitate Chris Pfeifer's stunts on his tricycle. Recently he was trying to do a stoopie and pick a bottle that he had strategically placed ! whoever saw the Chris pfeifer stunt, will be able to relate this.

I think its hightime I scout around for riding gears.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks