Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th June 2010, 22:49   #271
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
He likes noodles a lot. So I have a question: is Maggi considered junk food? Are there better alternatives?
I think most of the kids like Maggi & IMO, its for sure a junk food. I remember a message from an old email stating that Maggi has a wax kind of coating that is harmful & one should remove this coating while cooking. I did that once & I lost the authentic taste of Maggi.
Old 30th June 2010, 23:12   #272
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
I think most of the kids like Maggi & IMO, its for sure a junk food. I remember a message from an old email stating that Maggi has a wax kind of coating that is harmful & one should remove this coating while cooking. I did that once & I lost the authentic taste of Maggi.
Maagi also has monosodium glutamate along with other popular brands of noodles. It is considered to be harmfull.
Old 1st July 2010, 10:15   #273
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavy_foot View Post
Maagi also has monosodium glutamate along with other popular brands of noodles. It is considered to be harmfull.
You are right. Maggi is absolutely no no for my kid. I prefer to give him MTR sevaiya instead with some vegetables thrown in. He likes that a lot. Some other quick fix snacks which my son likes are choco flakes, Honey loops, Oatmeals, Muesli. We usually get the multigrain biscuits instead of Parle G, Marie and avoid the cream biscuits for sure.

One thing my son hates is the coloring books. He simply does not love to fill in colours in the books and hates the crayons. Now his schoool has this class for arts & colours and he has fared badly in that, the teachers complaining that he does not want to draw or colour. We tried teaching some at home but he is averse to that. Dont know what to do.
Old 1st July 2010, 10:53   #274
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
You are right. Maggi is absolutely no no for my kid. I prefer to give him MTR sevaiya instead with some vegetables thrown in. He likes that a lot. Some other quick fix snacks which my son likes are choco flakes, Honey loops, Oatmeals, Muesli. We usually get the multigrain biscuits instead of Parle G, Marie and avoid the cream biscuits for sure.
How old is your kid? Please check with your paediatrician whether oats can be given. IMO it is not suitable for kids below 7 years of age and can result in intestinal obstruction.
Old 1st July 2010, 11:24   #275
Senior - BHPian

Oats and Muesli if kept soaked in milk for an hour or so is Ok for kids above 2 years. This was confirmed by our family doctor. Only precaution which needs to be taken is that they are not taken in raw form.
BTW my son in 3 years old.
Old 1st July 2010, 13:01   #276
BHPian

My daughter doesn't know there is something called as cartoons. TVs is a strict NO when I am at home.

However I've downloaded her a couple of gigs of stuff off youtube (rhymes, stories and other kiddie stuffs with playlists to play in random order) on my laptop. The desktop icons are changed to Alphabets which we change on regular intervals and she knows how to open the playlists, play/pause, next and repeat functions. That keeps her busy when wifey is busy.
Old 1st July 2010, 13:56   #277
BHPian

Thanks to everyone who replied.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Maggi is absolutely no no for my kid. I prefer to give him MTR sevaiya instead with some vegetables thrown in.
Can you please tell me what is this MTR sevaiya? Is it another brand of packaged noodle? Is Top Ramen good?
Old 1st July 2010, 14:19   #278
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonirohit View Post
My daughter doesn't know there is something called as cartoons. TVs is a strict NO when I am at home.

However I've downloaded her a couple of gigs of stuff off Youtube (rhymes, stories and other kiddie stuffs with playlists to play in random order) on my laptop. The desktop icons are changed to Alphabets which we change on regular intervals and she knows how to open the playlists, play/pause, next and repeat functions. That keeps her busy when wifey is busy.
My whole family is banned from watching tv. No satellite tv at home. Only my select collection of DVDs. My daughter watches some classical stuff. Mostly it is classical music and dance related. And she catches up with just 3 or 4 of disney's offerings like Jungle Book, Bambi etc. With tv time spanning only 2 or 3 hours in a day, most of the time, it is her books and toys!
Old 1st July 2010, 15:20   #279
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
How old is your kid? Please check with your paediatrician whether oats can be given. IMO it is not suitable for kids below 7 years of age and can result in intestinal obstruction.
i thought oats are good for baby foods also . cook it with little milk and water and some fruit and its a great breakfast , arent they?
Old 1st July 2010, 15:28   #280
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
Can you please tell me what is this MTR sevaiya? Is it another brand of packaged noodle? Is Top Ramen good?
MTR is the brand name ( quite popular with ready to eat snacks) and sevaiya is the vermicelli (used to make Kheers/payasam). You can make sevaiya upma (something similar to rava upma in process) and add vegetables to it. Children relish it (thinking they are having noodles). Another way of making children eat vegetables.
Old 1st July 2010, 16:10   #281
BHPian

foood dilema here too my Boy just turned two and does not like to eat much, very very moody. Sometimes Upma, khichdi, sometimes roti dipped in tea, sometimes only and only water, sometimes just no chocolates at all. kinda confusing when he says no to chocolates. he just does'nt take one sip of milk now a days, no fresh milkshakes. I think too much of nooo.

Any advice?
Old 1st July 2010, 18:05   #282
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SohailPistawala View Post
foood dilema here too my Boy just turned two and does not like to eat much, very very moody. Sometimes Upma, khichdi, sometimes roti dipped in tea, sometimes only and only water, sometimes just no chocolates at all. kinda confusing when he says no to chocolates. he just does'nt take one sip of milk now a days, no fresh milkshakes. I think too much of nooo.

Any advice?
And you want him to eat chocolates? refer to my post about "gift from god" .

children at that age are moody. I personally won't force them to eat anything, but keep away unhealthy choices so when they feel the need to eat, they have healthy food. Try fruits, cereals, bread, eggs etc. I am not a big fan of milk after an age of 2-3, but I have been often turned down on that opinion on mine.
Old 1st July 2010, 20:21   #283
BHPian

Guys need help to tutor and better technique to teach and make kids remember , my daughter is in 1st class , she just memorize and good at oral and recollecting , but when she has to read , she is absolutely clueless .

even when she writes one page of same spelling like where / who / when after few minutes she cannot pronounce and just does not want to open her mouth and recite loudly . She just starts crying when we raise our voice . Nothing is helping and really frustrated with numerous complaints from her teacher .
Old 1st July 2010, 21:36   #284
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm_arjuna View Post
Guys need help to tutor and better technique to teach and make kids remember , my daughter is in 1st class , she just memorize and good at oral and recollecting , but when she has to read , she is absolutely clueless .

even when she writes one page of same spelling like where / who / when after few minutes she cannot pronounce and just does not want to open her mouth and recite loudly . She just starts crying when we raise our voice . Nothing is helping and really frustrated with numerous complaints from her teacher .
1. Watch taare zameen par

2. writing one page of same spelling is not going to help if she did not get it in the first place. I guess you need to explain her what "where" "who" and "when" mean. teach her how to use them in sentences, and then tell her how to write, starting with each syllable, assuming she already has learnt what sound each letter of alphabet represents. That should be the first step.

I think the whole process is backwards here.

EDIT: since you asked for technique, here's one I used. write CAT, ask her to pronounce it, help her, and then replace T with P. she should pick up that it's cap, after a couple tries. Try the same with 'tot' and 'top', 'pot' with 'pop' etc and soon she will know P stands for 'p' sound. I did it when my son was 3, your daughter may already have been thru this.

Last edited by vivekiny2k : 1st July 2010 at 21:40.
Old 1st July 2010, 22:18   #285
BHPian

My son is totally into Maggi Pasta, whenever he refuses to have any food at all, if we make maggi pasta, he has it readily without any issues, i am trying to find some alternate food which would match this, but i am still clueless in this regard.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks