Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th July 2010, 15:43   #331
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbraj View Post
My son is now 4 years old. I used to show lots of videos, songs etc to my son. I think this has resulted in his attention span becoming very less. He is very lively (hyperactive?), and video/TV has aggravated the situation. His teacher keeps complaining that he keeps roaming around in the class after finishing his class work, that he is in a hurry to start playing etc. He finds it difficult to sit at one place and concentrate.
Samecase in my house too. My son gets so restless when asked to sit at one place, but in front of TV he becomes a zombie. Have tried hard to shift his attention from TV towards some books, music but I think that will take some time.
Recently he started imitating one of the child in the Poppins ad and says "Ae doo kya" to almost everyone. Its become a nuisance now since he does the same even to my parents. A couple of times I have to use the rod but no avail. In frustration I tend to switch off the TV more often.
Old 27th July 2010, 22:10   #332
Senior - BHPian

@Aditya - Just checked out the Elephant song; I said, WOW, the theme is excellent. Both my Son & I loved it. Will have to find some means to download the entire volume. Thanks Adi, great stuff & must watch for every kid.

Last edited by aargee : 27th July 2010 at 22:12.
Old 27th July 2010, 23:22   #333
Senior - BHPian

all those who are trying to find activities for their kids, just leave them alone. They learn a lot while playing with spoons and pots than from the programs/games made to make them learn. Don't force technology on them, let them ask for it.

same goes for bonding with parents. In my personal view, they bond more with us when getting bored waiting for something and talking to us than a couple of noisy, fun filled hours spent at a fun park.

Alright, found the article that I was trying to reference.
Helicopter Parents: The Backlash Against Overparenting - TIME
Old 28th July 2010, 02:31   #334
Senior - BHPian

My 8 month old daughter's started to teeth, and its such a wonderful experience watching her play (sometimes trying to push the tooth out with her tongue,as she thinks its something stuck in her mouth), and have that mischievous look in her eyes.
Of course, its not easy living in this country with both parents working and the kid at day-care.The stress of everyday life, with no rest what-so-ever really gets to you.
Old 28th July 2010, 10:56   #335
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Recently he started imitating one of the child in the Poppins ad and says "Ae doo kya" to almost everyone. Its become a nuisance now since he does the same even to my parents. A couple of times I have to use the rod but no avail. In frustration I tend to switch off the TV more often.
Following is what I do in such situations. Observe him and understand what currency he deals with. This could be some toy or games or TV or some particular thing. Whenever he displays bad behaviour, curtail his currency. This might be a better way of discipline.
Old 6th August 2010, 13:04   #336
BHPian

Teeth not growing

Hi,
I have 12 months old boy, His teeth has not yet come, I have asked the doctor were he suggested to use magnet around his neck. If that did not help then he may be given injection for teeth to grow. I have still not followed his instruction and still hopping that his teeth will grow. I am at presend relying on calciun syrup. Can anyone give me some guidance on this.

uday
Old 6th August 2010, 13:29   #337
Senior - BHPian

@Uday, just a small suggestion, pls post you question here in addition to this - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ultations.html

Since this is a question on dental, its more than likely to get noticed in the above thread than over here.
Old 6th August 2010, 16:05   #338
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitesquall View Post
Hello team! I became a father of a beautiful baby girl this 19th!! and I am real excited!

The problems started even before the baby was born. My wife could not withstand the labor pains and we had to opt for c-section! then the problem of feeding the baby! 1st three days till the milk appeared in my wife were horrible, it was very difficult to feed the baby and it was real painful to hear it scream n cry due to hunger. . .after the milk appeared it was another story! the baby was addicted to spoon feeding n it doesn't breast feed!! Man it is so painful to see the baby loose weight rapidly :-( and it is even more painful to see her mother suffer. . .she is depressed. . .hope things turn around n I get to see n feel some happy moments
Yeah. The unthinkable happened. My wife had to under go a minor surgery since the left out milk turned in to a lump in her breast I feel awful seeing both mother n child suffer. . .
Old 6th August 2010, 19:00   #339
Senior - BHPian

however unnatural it may sound, expressing milk is something everybody needs to look at as an option. Especially first few days when baby still doesn't know how to latch.

the general rule is, everytime one skips a round of breastfeeding, express it. either store it for the baby, or throw it away.

I posted it here

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1519207-post116.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by udaydesai View Post
Hi,
I have 12 months old boy, His teeth has not yet come, I have asked the doctor were he suggested to use magnet around his neck. If that did not help then he may be given injection for teeth to grow.
from the other thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
WHAAAT?!!?

You've been visiting a quack, have you?
I was going to say that. I am not a doctor, and even I know what your doctor said is not right. Care to identify him for others' benefit (!)

just curious, do you know if it might be in the family? if everybody in your family got teeth a little later I won't worry about it.

And personally I would advise against overdose of calcium for this. AFAIK, it has nothing to do with calcium deficiency.

Last edited by vivekiny2k : 6th August 2010 at 19:08.
Old 6th August 2010, 19:36   #340
BANNED

Quote:
I have 12 months old boy, His teeth has not yet come, I have asked the doctor were he suggested to use magnet around his neck. If that did not help then he may be given injection for teeth to grow. I have still not followed his instruction and still hopping that his teeth will grow. I am at presend relying on calciun syrup. Can anyone give me some guidance on this.
Both my kids teethed from 15-18 months. They were/are late in talking; but not communicating. Do not worry. Never push them to do anything - pushing can be counter productive.
Old 7th August 2010, 10:23   #341
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Both my kids teethed from 15-18 months. They were/are late in talking; but not communicating. Do not worry. Never push them to do anything - pushing can be counter productive.
@ backseatdriver

thank you for your advice, I shall wait and let the teeth grow on its own.

uday
Old 9th August 2010, 15:20   #342
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
however unnatural it may sound, expressing milk is something everybody needs to look at as an option. Especially first few days when baby still doesn't know how to latch.

the general rule is, everytime one skips a round of breastfeeding, express it. either store it for the baby, or throw it away.

I posted it here

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1519207-post116.html

from the other thread
Thanks a lot vivekiny2k! That was very helpful. Most first time mom's (parents) feel that they are the only ones' who have this problem where as this is most common problem with the first timers (I found out this fact after doing some research over the internet and by talking to few of of the first time mothers), which actually gave me some metal peace and strength to face it. I wonder why Gynecologists do not suggest some pointers which will help future first time mothers and prepare them for the delivery?

Last edited by whitesquall : 9th August 2010 at 15:24.
Old 9th August 2010, 18:20   #343
Senior - BHPian

There are a lot of things we do not explain to those who need it, sometimes out of laziness, lack of time, or just assuming the other person does not need/deserve it.

That's why The easiest thing I do is direct every expecting parent to babycenter.com.

If you have not already, go thru this thread from the beginning, there are a lot of other things you should know.
Old 9th August 2010, 19:33   #344
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
That's why The easiest thing I do is direct every expecting parent to babycenter.com.
We had purchased the book What To Expect When You're Expecting. This book had most situations explained, and we found it as good. It had a chapter on the postnatal period as well.
Old 9th August 2010, 19:46   #345
BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

uday
Magnet around a 12 month old kid is scary !
My daughter teethed in 14th month. And since then she has now 4 teeth appearing all of a sudden. It's perfectly normal to teeth late.
The growth is varied in various children. So, do not worry. Keep continuing with his normal supplements(Calcium) / food / milk. Keep him happy.

Consult another Doctor if it delayed beyond 18 months.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks