Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st January 2011, 09:20   #406
Senior - BHPian

Re: Parenthood: Sharing the joy, precious moments, learnings and experiences

I need some information friends. Lately my son has been throwing tantrums when it comes to reading books. He says he has read most of the nursery aged books like the identifying the animals, birds, fruits, vegs, transport etc. These days he has developed a fancy for writing. He grabs a pen/pencil/sketch pen (or whatever he could lay hands on) and starts srcribbling on almost everything say newspapers, magazines, walls too. I tried giving him a couple of books to write on, brought him a couple of books where he could trace the lines and in the process learn writing alphabets. numbers etc but all in vain.

I want to know whether the stenciled slates (like we practised on in our days) for alphabets, numbers etc can help my son overcome this behaviour of writing anywhere atleast not on the walls. I got him a white board along with some markers but he rarely uses them.
Old 31st January 2011, 09:48   #407
BHPian

Get him a doodle pro - it'd fun for him.
Old 31st January 2011, 09:56   #408
Senior - BHPian

I have a similar kind of magic slate (very similar to Doddle pro) but that is used only for scribbling nothing informative is done. The stenciled slates I am talking about has alphabets (both small & Capital) in big sizes making it easy for any kid to trace along the stenciled aplhabets and in the process initiate the writing & learning skills.

Any one used it before?
Old 31st January 2011, 10:21   #409
Senior - BHPian

Have you guys noticed how brand/label conscious 8 - 10 year olds are becoming? Right from his 8th birthday my son insists on only Adidas for his outfit. Boy, does it pinch the pocket! What adds to the irritation is the rapidity with which he outgrows the dress.

They seem to face a lot of peer pressure in this matter.
Old 1st February 2011, 19:27   #410
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Have you guys noticed how brand/label conscious 8 - 10 year olds are becoming? Right from his 8th birthday my son insists on only Adidas for his outfit. Boy, does it pinch the pocket! What adds to the irritation is the rapidity with which he outgrows the dress.

I always buy a size bigger for my kids.
Old 1st February 2011, 19:47   #411
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
I always buy a size bigger for my kids.
and for the ones we gift. always give a size or two higher so it really is helpful for the parents when buying later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
I have a similar kind of magic slate (very similar to Doddle pro) but that is used only for scribbling nothing informative is done. The stenciled slates I am talking about has alphabets (both small & Capital) in big sizes making it easy for any kid to trace along the stenciled aplhabets and in the process initiate the writing & learning skills.

Any one used it before?
I personally think writing without a stencil will help him practice better. give him small goals like patterns, lines, circles, 8s etc (depending upon how old he is). My son found the 8 most fascinating and kept drawing the same for a few days :-)

another thing he liked was writing after reading. So there are 3-4 lines stories and then question about the same. If he is too young it can be just the names of the object or the letter they start with.
Old 4th February 2011, 13:50   #412
BHPian

Guys, need help.

My baby is falling sick on and off for last couple of weeks. Is it because of the climate or it's unusual? Doctor says, it is this season but, i have my doubts. . .
Old 4th February 2011, 15:17   #413
Team-BHP Support

Guys, just for reference. This is another related and important thread.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modif...ian-roads.html
Old 5th February 2011, 18:23   #414
BHPian

Would like to know at what age did you people send your kid to school for the first time.

Mine is 2yrs but only 9kg in weight and wondering if we should send him to play school given his slow growth.

I am also afraid about the first few days as he just does not stay unless me or his mom is along. And when he cries, he holds his breath for long time that scare us a lot.
Old 5th February 2011, 23:32   #415
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by San Phrangmung View Post
Would like to know at what age did you people send your kid to school for the first time.

Mine is 2yrs but only 9kg in weight and wondering if we should send him to play school given his slow growth.

I am also afraid about the first few days as he just does not stay unless me or his mom is along. And when he cries, he holds his breath for long time that scare us a lot.
if both of you are working then you don't have much choice but otherwise I personally don't think it's any beneficial for the child to go to school before an age of 3-4. My younger son will start his preschool this year 2 months before he turns 3. Elder one did not go until he was 3.5.

But he goes to school everyday with my wife to pick up/drop the elder one, so he is already familiar. He actually tried to sneak in to the class all the time.

Last edited by vivekiny2k : 5th February 2011 at 23:34.
Old 6th February 2011, 00:44   #416
MX6
Senior - BHPian

San.
Don't worry about the age. I went to school when I was 4. (year it was a long long while ago). So your son won't lose anything if he waits a year more.

And don't worry about him holding his breath. That's one way no one can kill or harm themselves. Breathing is involuntary reflex. We can't control it for long voluntarily. No one can. But then crying will only make things very painful. So try keep him diverted on other things and wean him off the crying. Kids will slowly adapt (but quicker than us adults)!
Old 7th February 2011, 08:29   #417
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
San.
Don't worry about the age. I went to school when I was 4. (year it was a long long while ago). So your son won't lose anything if he waits a year more.

And don't worry about him holding his breath. That's one way no one can kill or harm themselves. Breathing is involuntary reflex. We can't control it for long voluntarily. No one can. But then crying will only make things very painful. So try keep him diverted on other things and wean him off the crying. Kids will slowly adapt (but quicker than us adults)!
My brother in law's son holds his breath for a very long time when he starts crying. The first time he did he scared the hell out of his grandparents who rushed him immediately to a doctor. The doctor gave a very strange solution of pressing his gums to bring him back to normal. I would any day prefer a crying child than to one holding his breath during crying. It is easier to soothe the former.

This trait was also present in my brother in law when he was a child and the trick my ma-in law used to do was pour a mug of cold water on his face, would bring him instantly back to his senses.

Last edited by ghodlur : 7th February 2011 at 08:35.
Old 7th February 2011, 12:03   #418
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by San Phrangmung View Post

My son is going to turn 2 years old next month. We have put him in an activity center since last month. Initial days were tough on him (since he has always had his mother around him the whole day.) Now he has stabilized somewhat and likes to play out there in his 'school'.
I think the problem here may not be about his 'slow growth'. Maybe he is a bit fussy about food and not eating well?
Old 8th February 2011, 11:21   #419
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
I think the problem here may not be about his 'slow growth'. Maybe he is a bit fussy about food and not eating well?
Spot on!! The term is not slow growth, it is actually being fussy. My 13 months old son becomes extremely fussy sometimes during eating and starts refusing if he doesn't like or is not in a mood to eat. Sometimes me and wifey try 1 hour or more at length to make him eat.

The ideal solution and which we are following is to engage him in some playing activity and combine meals with that activity, vary the food as sometimes he refuses to eat something but excepts the other, or put him in his favorite place (my little one likes standing on the windows) and the child may start eating.

Also please try giving him the homely food as much as you can. Try not giving breads, biscuits, chocolates etc to child, as it adversely impacts the child's digestive system.
Old 3rd May 2011, 21:07   #420
BHPian

This thread has been very helpful and informative, not unlike the whole forum. I think one of the guidance I received on this thread contributed in part to my son getting admission in one of the most prestigious schools in this area.

So he has just joined fromal school this season. His teachers has been complaining a lot about his temper. How do I control it, or help him to control it? He is four years old.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks