Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th May 2011, 16:53   #421
Senior - BHPian

Re: Parenthood: Sharing the joy, precious moments, learnings and experiences

I have started a search on good pre-schools in and around the following areas in Pune:
1. Shastri Nagar
2. Yervada
3. Kalyani Nagar
4. Viman Nagar
5. Vishrantwadi.

If anyone has recommendations for schools for pre-nursery, nursery, KG then kindly share.

My son was previously in an activity center near Pune University called Todz World, for three months. I would recommend that place to anyone who live close by. Very nice staff, good setup and good learning program. My son loved going to that place.

Does anyone have any first hand experience with Radcliffe Schools in India? There is a new one just opened in Pune.
Old 14th July 2011, 10:00   #422
Senior - BHPian

My Adorable twins, Hassan & Hussian.Seven months old,very naughty and above all, very adorable.
Attached Thumbnails
Parenthood: Sharing the joy, precious moments, learnings and experiences-hh.jpg  

SILVERWOOD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2011, 15:23   #423
BHPian

Folks

Which operators give Cbeebies - is it only tata sky - need to upgrade my Videocon D2H STB to a HD real quick...

Thanks !
Old 2nd August 2011, 10:33   #424
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone tried this?
4kids - Home

Any reviews?
Old 5th August 2011, 18:37   #425
Senior - BHPian

I would like to highlight the potential dangers of using baby slings like this one

The problem with infants is if they feel suffocated (or too hot, hungry, thirsty), they don't complain, they just shut down. That's why there is a minimum age requirement and caution for using these, and it's very easy to overlook/ignore those warnings. Same goes for feeding, covering (overheating) and other things that might cause one of the above conditions.

linky
vivekiny2k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2011, 12:34   #426
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
I have started a search on good pre-schools in and around the following areas in Pune:
1. Shastri Nagar
2. Yervada
3. Kalyani Nagar
4. Viman Nagar
5. Vishrantwadi.
So after a fair amount of research by me and visits to schools by my wife, we have finalized on Eurokids at Kalyani Nagar.
We have considered the following:
1. Eurokids (Viman Nagar, Kalyani Nagar)
2. Headstart (Viman Nagar, Kalyani Nagar)
3. Roots to Wings (Viman Nagar)
4. Some small playgroup near MH Board
5. One more playgroup near Yerwada, near Gunjan Theater

Not considered
1. Jyotirmay (far away from home)
2. Vivero (heard it is very expensive)
3. Kangaroo Kids (Koregaon Park, far)

The approximate cost for playgroup is about Rs. 20 - 30,000 depending on the school. Some are even more expensive.

The child should have completed about 2 years and 6 months as of 1 June to be in nursery.

However, in my case, my son has completed 2 years and 3 months as of 1 June. Hence he is does not satisfy this criteria.

What adds to the confusion is that some of these institutes are willing to give admission in nursery even with this age.
I am not sure if my child should be deprived from his play time by putting him in nursery so soon.

In this scenario what happens next year when he is out from nursery and still does not satisfy the age limit for LKG next year?

Has someone been in a similar situation?
Old 13th September 2011, 17:05   #427
BHPian

Do enroll him for nursery - it helps them develop their social skills. Nursery's curriculum is not that demanding and their structure is actually beneficial to the child. The duration would be just 2-4 hours max and the kid (after a few days) would actually look forward to going to the school.

Definitely enroll him.

PS: I have a 2 yr 10 month old son and he's enrolled in Nursery.
Old 13th September 2011, 19:36   #428
BANNED

But, the bigger question remains unanswered - what happens when the child completes nursery and is ready for class 1?? Spend another year in nursery?

That can have very adverse impact on the child's psychology.

My younger kid was 2 1/2 years when the academic year started. I decided (after consultations with both my daughter's school and the teacher at the play school) not to send him to nursery.
Old 14th September 2011, 08:47   #429
Senior - BHPian

^ Why did you do that? As far as I know, 2.5 is the correct age to get in nursery.
Old 14th September 2011, 11:57   #430
BANNED

nursery = LKG. Playschool = day care center which also teaches something.

Age for admission into 1st standard is 5 years as on 1st June (or is it July?) of the year. (different matter that most ICSE / CBSE "elite" schools insist on completion of 6 years). Putting him in nursery now means he is not eligible for admission into 1st after UKG. He can feel bad if his classmates in UKG go on to 1st standard, and he has to repeat UKG. This was my fear, and confirmed with concurrent advice from the two teachers.
Old 14th September 2011, 12:10   #431
Senior - BHPian

Right now my 2 years 5 month old daughter goes to a playschool and learns all kinds of cute poems and prayers
We are planning to put her into pre nursery next year. We were told that 3 years is the minimum age for admittance to pre nursery. After that comes LKG, UKG.
We are considering Samhita Academy and Sherwood High, both on Bannerghatta road.
Any idea how are these two? Both are relatively new so there are not too many reviews available on the net.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
I would like to highlight the potential dangers of using baby slings like this one

The problem with infants is if they feel suffocated (or too hot, hungry, thirsty), they don't complain, they just shut down. That's why there is a minimum age requirement and caution for using these, and it's very easy to overlook/ignore those warnings. Same goes for feeding, covering (overheating) and other things that might cause one of the above conditions.

linky
Vivek, thanks for the link! But the carrier shown in you link is different from the one in the injuryboard article. The first one has a minimum age requirement of 6 or 9 months i think.
Old 14th September 2011, 13:37   #432
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
nursery = LKG. Playschool = day care center which also teaches something.

Age for admission into 1st standard is 5 years as on 1st June (or is it July?) of the year. (different matter that most ICSE / CBSE "elite" schools insist on completion of 6 years). Putting him in nursery now means he is not eligible for admission into 1st after UKG. He can feel bad if his classmates in UKG go on to 1st standard, and he has to repeat UKG. This was my fear, and confirmed with concurrent advice from the two teachers.
I was under the impression that the sequence is:
Playschool --> Nursery --> LKG --> UKG --Ist.....
min 1.5 yrs --> 2.5 yrs -->3.5 yrs -->4.5 yrs -->5.5 yrs

Note: 0.5 year == 6 months.
This is the minimum entry level age. Age is as on 1 June of that academic year.

For CBSE, the age is as on 1 April of the academic year (this part was mentioned by the Eurokids lady whom I just met).

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Right now my 2 years 5 month old daughter goes to a playschool and learns all kinds of cute poems and prayers
We are planning to put her into pre nursery next year. We were told that 3 years is the minimum age for admittance to pre nursery. After that comes LKG, UKG.
"Pre-nursery" is new to me. I have not heard of that before.
Age for nursery is 2 years 6 months as of 1 June. Hence if you daughter was above this minimum age limit on 1 June 2011, then nursery would be the right class for her, else it would be playgroup.
Old 14th September 2011, 14:32   #433
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
"Pre-nursery" is new to me. I have not heard of that before.
Age for nursery is 2 years 6 months as of 1 June. Hence if you daughter was above this minimum age limit on 1 June 2011, then nursery would be the right class for her, else it would be playgroup.
Nursery = LKG + UKG

But different schools have different norms.

Some have Pre Nursery, Nursery and then UKG
Some have Pre Nursery, LKG and UKG

However, as per the article below, the starting class is Nursery, then Pre Primary (KG). Either ways, irrespective of what its called, the age for Kindergarten is 4+, which means the age for the class before that is 3+
Playschools however dont have a limit
Nursery admission age to remain 3 years - Times Of India

My daughter has been going to a playschool since she was 2 though.

We were told by the Principal of Sherwood High as well that the minimum age for admission to PreNursery is 3.

EDIT: Another link
http://educationeagle.blogspot.com/2...age-norms.html

Last edited by amitoj : 14th September 2011 at 14:34.
amitoj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2011, 15:22   #434
Senior - BHPian

^Thanks. The second link was helpful.
It also looks like the 3 year minimum age for nursery is not what is actually followed here (at least based on my interactions). The age for nursery here is 2 and half years.
e.g. Age Limit
Old 14th September 2011, 18:13   #435
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post

Vivek, thanks for the link! But the carrier shown in you link is different from the one in the injuryboard article. The first one has a minimum age requirement of 6 or 9 months i think.
Yup, I didn't verify the specs, that was just an example. But any carrier can be dangerous if not used with common sense.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks