Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 16th March 2012, 15:16   #556
Senior - BHPian

Re: Parenthood: Sharing the joy, precious moments, learnings and experiences

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Are you all seated together throughout dinner or do any of you leave early if they are finished?
Is the television switched on during meal time? Or any other distraction
Are your meal times regular? As in similar times each day?
What snacks does the child have access to between meal times?
Yes we all sit together at the table usually around the same time every day (~2030), most continue to sit when they finish especially me and my wife. Elders are allowed to move once they are done. So yes the meal times are regular.

Usually Television is switched off as we want to talk to her mostly, sometimes its switched on depending on her interests.

None, no snacks what so ever. If at all she drinks juice in between.

She loves talking, and that's where i guess she gets her energy from, so we want to ensure she talks and at the same time eats as well.
mayankjha1806 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2012, 15:32   #557
BHPian

After reasearching this entire week for a nice summer camp apart from the regular Shiamak Davar classes, came across one which was posted on Quikr.

They are offering Creative as well as Learning activities. Yet to call them and get details of the camp and the pricing. Below is the list of activities mentioned to start on the 1st of April:

Starts 1st April

Activities – Summer Camp

Creative Activities – 15 Classes
1. Candy Bouquet
2. Master Chef
3. Clay Modelling
4. Fun with Boxes
5. Young Scientist
6. I am grown up now
7. My Signature
8. Co-Co Art
9. My Own Aurora
10. Lap it up with Collage

Learning Activities

1. Phonetics ( Basic) - 12 Classes
2. Phonetics (Advanced) - 12 Classes
3. Handwriting Improvement – 15 Classes

Ms. Meera is a certified instructor by the US Montessori Society and has conducted various camps in Mumbai/Hyderabad. She was a part of a recognized International School.

Phone: 7702816661

Now, if someone could let me know if the activities sound nice and worth spending the time and money. By the looks of it, it seems to offer some creative stuff. There are a total of 99 summer camps listed in Hyderabad, however this one kind of looked different.
Old 18th March 2012, 10:39   #558
BHPian

Hi, a new playschool is being launched in Guwahati under the TREE House' brand. It would be most helpful if you share your kids experience at the establishment at your respective places. Mumbai is supposdly having the maximum number of branches. Thanks.

Last edited by San Phrangmung : 18th March 2012 at 10:43.
Old 20th March 2012, 11:26   #559
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
This is in context of the Norwegian child care scam.
Quote:
My sympathies to them; I am sure they, and many others would stay away from Norway for some time!
The saga is still not over. New twists. Seems parents were not on good terms with each other in the first place. Could the Norway guys have done the right thing??
Were these two Indians fooling the nation?
Plots thickens.

The Hindu : News / National : Parental feud compounds Norway custody row
Old 20th March 2012, 13:35   #560
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
Could the Norway guys have done the right thing??
Were these two Indians fooling the nation?
It is also possible that the stress of this case and living away from the children pushed the mother over the edge. In her grief and shock, she may not have control over her actions and may be emotionally scarred.

May they both get the required strength to be united with their children. Whether their relationship is strong enough to survive this is anyone's guess.
Old 23rd March 2012, 13:30   #561
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauravdgr8 View Post
Starts 1st April

Activities – Summer Camp

Creative Activities – 15 Classes
1. Candy Bouquet
2. Master Chef
3. Clay Modelling
4. Fun with Boxes
5. Young Scientist
6. I am grown up now
7. My Signature
8. Co-Co Art
9. My Own Aurora
10. Lap it up with Collage

Learning Activities

1. Phonetics ( Basic) - 12 Classes
2. Phonetics (Advanced) - 12 Classes
3. Handwriting Improvement – 15 Classes

Ms. Meera is a certified instructor by the US Montessori Society and has conducted various camps in Mumbai/Hyderabad. She was a part of a recognized International School.

Phone: 7702816661

Now, if someone could let me know if the activities sound nice and worth spending the time and money. By the looks of it, it seems to offer some creative stuff. There are a total of 99 summer camps listed in Hyderabad, however this one kind of looked different.
So called at the number and took the details. Actually seems to be a nice activity based summer camp. I was informed that all the activities will be actually done by kids. The good part that i feel is that it's not a regular craft/drawing class.

Would visit the place on Saturday and check out the details further.
Old 12th April 2012, 10:14   #562
Senior - BHPian

@amitoj, did you had a chance to make a visit to the doctor? (Our recent visit to him was a eye opener for me, hence putting it in here for others)

Day before yesterday we went for a regular (general) visit to the doctor, as usual the doc and my daughter started a good conversation about how her summer vacations are going etc etc.

Then he turned his attention to us, to understand why we were there as the kiddo seemed perfectly alright. As usual mother was hyper worried about lack of weight gain, health and some occasional cold. We asked about how to help her gain some weight (She is lighter and smaller then kids six months younger to her), and some recommendations on PediaSure and the likes.

He just laughed it out, and suggested we stay away from all these so called health drinks, as most of them are advertising gimmicks and not really so healthy and mostly junk. Suggested to give normal home cooked food rice, daal, milk etc and that should be enough.
Old 12th April 2012, 11:02   #563
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post

Then he turned his attention to us, to understand why we were there as the kiddo seemed perfectly alright.
My daughter looks smaller than kids her age. She is also lighter.

All the information shared on this thread makes me feel good.
Thanks a lot guys.

We feed our daughter home cooked normal food. In fact as she is a lil over 1 year of age, we all eat the same thing.
Of course the food is prepared with lesser spice and salt. Its good for all of us.

My mom has a theory. Since we don't feed my daughter the specially formulated meals. She is actually healthier and able to appreciate the diverse textures and flavors of food. So hopefully as she grows up, she will have a much better approach to food and eating.

By the way what is the idea age for children to start walking unassisted. My daughter walks very comfortably as long as I hold her fingers. She can crawl really fast. But she does not walk without some form of support.

However she has already started talking. Words like MaMa and BaBa.

Someone told me that kids who talk early walk late and vice versa. Is there any truth in that statement.
Old 12th April 2012, 11:14   #564
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
By the way what is the idea age for children to start walking unassisted. My daughter walks very comfortably as long as I hold her fingers. She can crawl really fast. But she does not walk without some form of support.

Someone told me that kids who talk early walk late and vice versa. Is there any truth in that statement.
Wow, seriously this is just the most wonderful time of your life, to see your daughter learn to walk. On the theory of talking kids walk late, well its just a theory and it seems to fit some cases not so much on other cases, so chill.

Also just do not bother when she learns to walk, some kids start late, some early, as long as she seems healthy and active its all fine. 1-6 months plus or minus in terms of learning to walk is fine. If you are interested in statistics, kids learn to walk in between 1-2 years.

I believe (Only experiences to share), massaging the legs of kids at the end of the day helps. As i understand those small legs after crawling and walking (even with assistance) pain a lot, and they enjoy when messaged with either oil or cream, to relieve the pain. You could try this at home any-day and visually see how much she is enjoying the massage on her face, if she enjoys do this regularly. Our daughter used to giggle and laugh when massaged, later she used to bring oil bottle to her mother (trying to convey that she wants the massage)

Last edited by mayankjha1806 : 12th April 2012 at 11:23.
Old 12th April 2012, 11:25   #565
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Our daughter used to giggle and laugh when massaged, later she used to bring oil bottle to her mother (trying to convey that she wants the massage)
I ask her if her legs pain. She immediately sits and keeps her legs stretched in front of her. I ask her if it pains a lot. She starts giggling and massaging her legs herself.

Its so sweet to watch this. Its as if my heart will melt.
Old 12th April 2012, 12:05   #566
Senior - BHPian

It is all too much theory and science and beliefs - but in the end all kids are unique and you neednt worry too much.

Our boy has started push-walking at 9.5 months (albeit unsteadily) and has been babbling mama, baba, ok, de de (in a dai dai sort of tone) and a couple other words. This week he has started clapping audibly as well.

Though he's on lactogen 2 mostly (1L daily), he does have dahi/paneer daily along with fighting to eat whatever others are eating.

That said, he is easily a month behind his 4 day younger cousin brother, who already has 4 teeth and walks much more steadily holding the drawing room table.

Do we care about it? no. Kids growth will eventually even out man.

Don't sweat the small stuff.

Quote:

All the information shared on this thread makes me feel good.
Thanks a lot guys.

We feed our daughter home cooked normal food. In fact as she is a lil over 1 year of age, we all eat the same thing.
Of course the food is prepared with lesser spice and salt. Its good for all of us.

My mom has a theory. Since we don't feed my daughter the specially formulated meals. She is actually healthier and able to appreciate the diverse textures and flavors of food. So hopefully as she grows up, she will have a much better approach to food and eating.

However she has already started talking. Words like MaMa and BaBa.

No
Old 12th April 2012, 13:34   #567
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Do you worry if you are smaller or lighter than the parents of the kids of your daughter's age?! No offence meant, but as long as she is playing fine and getting adequate rest she should be fine.

Quote:
Not sure if there is any truth in that statement, but I have heard it from people too. I have also heard from some people that girls talk sooner than boys. I do my best not to pass this on to other friends who are having kids. In fact I find it better to laugh it off in their presence. I learnt that its in the nature of people here to give their opinion. As Indian parents we should know which advice to take and implement. We have to act as the filters!

Quote:
I believe (Only experiences to share), massaging the legs of kids at the end of the day helps. As i understand those small legs after crawling and walking (even with assistance) pain a lot, and they enjoy when messaged with either oil or cream, to relieve the pain.
yeah, its quite a bit of fun for them. Till my son turned 18 months old, he had a regular massage before his bath and before bed time. Now he is 5 and a half years old, but still shows up with the oil bottle sometimes before going to sleep. Advantage is that now I get a small head or shoulder massage in return
Old 12th April 2012, 13:46   #568
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Do you worry if you are smaller or lighter than the parents of the kids of your daughter's age?! No offence meant, but as long as she is playing fine and getting adequate rest she should be fine.
Excellent thought provoking question, usually i do not worry about the size and built of anyone, let alone kids. I myself have never been big bully types. But here is my worry (to some degree at-least).

When kids play, the big strong ones usually bully the small weaker ones (Here when i say weak it only means in the sense of body build, and not stamina, or resistance which may be more), and get to have their way most of the time. Now i as a parent do not want to keep a watchful eye all the time, and would like her to learn how to deal with such Bully's, but i also do not want her to be pressurized and pushed all the time.

Anyone else faced something similar? and have experiences to share how to deal with this other than avoiding Bully's, which is possible but not an ideal solution in the long run.
Old 12th April 2012, 19:04   #569
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@amitoj, did you had a chance to make a visit to the doctor? (Our recent visit to him was a eye opener for me, hence putting it in here for others)
Thanks for asking, Mayank.
We went to another doctor in Apollo who prescribed a different medicine and that has done wonders. My daughter has not had a single bout of cough since then *knock on wood*
Old 12th April 2012, 20:21   #570
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Anyone else faced something similar? and have experiences to share how to deal with this other than avoiding Bully's, which is possible but not an ideal solution in the long run.
Bullying is a serious problem in schools and on the playground, and most parents will have to deal with it at some point or the other. When my little girl came home complaining that a girl in her class teases and bullies her, I handled it like this:
  • Heard her out patiently. Often parents tend to trivialise the problems of kids, lost as we are in our own "real" problems. Listening is half the solution.
  • Told her that bullies are people who are the most scared. This was a great revelation to me when I was growing up and getting picked on for being the bespectacled "smart kid".
  • Told her not to react to provocation. This may sound counterintuitive but from my experience bullies thrive on the reactions they provoke. Also told her to keep a supervising adult informed if there is any sort of physical intimidation involved.
  • My wife advised her to find new friends
  • We didn't over-react: one time she came home with a red mark on her chest where this friend had punched her (perhaps playfully?) before she alighted from the bus. We write a nicely worded note to the teacher requesting her to take action and she replied that she had spoken to the girl and let her parents know about the incident.

Am not quite sure which, if any, of the above helped, but what I can testify is that kids are pretty resourceful. My lil one's forte is engaging (she's quite personable and funny) and I believe she just won the bully over eventally and they are good friends now.

Hope it stays that way! Sigh- a long way to go before she's 18

Most Viewed