Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th April 2012, 20:52   #571
Senior - BHPian

Re: Parenthood: Sharing the joy, precious moments, learnings and experiences

We face this issue of weight almost all the time. Many of my friends express horror when they see their kids are at 25%ile of below of weight/height. At every regular checkup doctors compare their growth with other kids in US on a chart. Frankly speaking, we Indians rank in probably 10%ile of american population (statistical term) as far as weight/height is concerned. Why should our kids be any different? it's not a race .

If anything, we should be happy our kids have not caught on obesity from the first world.

@bblost, don't worry about walking/talking. But keep in mind, kids catch up fast even if they start late. One of our friend's kid started speaking at around 3 yrs but his first sentence was a complete sentence "what the f....". I am pretty sure his parents used it around him thinking he didn't get it .
Old 12th April 2012, 20:52   #572
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
We went to another doctor in Apollo who prescribed a different medicine and that has done wonders. My daughter has not had a single bout of cough since then *knock on wood*
Care to share some more details on this. My daughter also seemed to be suffering from pretty persistent bout of cough sometime back, but she seems to be better now. But it never harms to keep the information in hand though.
Old 12th April 2012, 21:08   #573
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yosbert View Post
Care to share some more details on this. My daughter also seemed to be suffering from pretty persistent bout of cough sometime back, but she seems to be better now. But it never harms to keep the information in hand though.
Sure. Earlier we had taken our daughter to two docs in Fortis and both of them suggested that we continue with the same medicine that was prescribed first time around (Montaire, allegra). This was somewhat odd because if the medicine is not working, then why continue with it?

So we thought let us just get another opinion from someone outside of Fortis. After doing some research, it was not clear as to who would be the best doc. That's why we ended up with Dr Seema Mishra at Apollo. She prescribed a different medicine (Singular, xyzal) I guess essentially the meds are same but they are from different brands. But changing the brand has worked wonders for us.

So, thats our story.
Old 13th April 2012, 06:00   #574
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Bullying is a serious problem in schools and on the playground, and most parents will have to deal with it at some point or the other. When my little girl came home complaining that a girl in her class teases and bullies her, I handled it like this:
You hit the nail on the head noop, especially with your first two points. About listening to them, I find with my son that he really pays attention when we are speaking eye to eye. So either both of us are seated at the table or I kneel down and speak to him. Otherwise its a bit difficult to keep him engaged as he is running around. of course this may be an individual thing, but could also be applicable to someone else

I appreciate your point about educating them about bullies being scared. At the same time I am also hearing stories from him about groups being formed at school. So that is a step up now and I have to keep pace; the next thing I know is he would ask for a cellphone!
Old 13th April 2012, 06:52   #575
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
Frankly speaking, we Indians rank in probably 10%ile of american population (statistical term) as far as weight/height is concerned. Why should our kids be any different? it's not a race .

If anything, we should be happy our kids have not caught on obesity from the first world.
We had this wonderful paediatrician in Bangalore whom we took the little one to for her first two years. We'd take her in for a throat infection and then the inevitable complaints would follow, "She isn't gaining weight...", "She doesn't eat any more than she wants to..." "She's so THIN!!!"
He would just give us a look and ask, "Is she active?" Yes. "Is she healthy?" Well...apart from the infection now, Yes.
"Then stop worrying!"

Simple rule of thumb. I still live by this.
Old 13th April 2012, 08:12   #576
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Bullying is a serious problem in schools and on the playground, and most parents will have to deal with it at some point or the other.
Sorry for being on the other side of the fence but I regularly receive complaints from my son's class teacher that he bullies around other boys. My first thought was to take the teacher to task for reporting it daily to my wife, afterall some discipline needs to be instilled by the teacher themselves. But later had a "father to son" talk and found that he bullies only when he is provoked by being teased/hit, then he goes for a full onslaught. I brought this to the notice of the class teacher and one option was to move him to a different group of children who are unusually the quietest of the lot. This worked and the complaints stopped.
Old 13th April 2012, 13:11   #577
Senior - BHPian

@noopster, Thanks, those are useful experiences.

In our daughters case, at school there are boy Bullies and girl Bullies, somehow, we helping her and encouraging her to have friendship has helped her to effectively deal with Boy Bullies, now the biggest boys in her section are best of her friends. Its the girl bullies that i am having some trouble with.

Trust me a few of them are such that even a small playful (unintentional) push has caused fracture in another kid's hand after the fall (Happened in our apartment). So for now she either stays away or plays in front of an elders watchful eye, but this thing cannot keep going on like this. Hence trying to figure out the best possible approach without causing too much ruffle in the locality.

Pardon me for saying this, but i feel there is a relationship between Bully violent type kids and the environment at home, in the three close cases i have seen i have been able to clearly see a hard link as to where this outburst (or trait) of the kid is coming from. Its a mental and emotional thing and we take specific care to not have our daughter exposed to any of that either through friends or relatives. Hence keeping safe distance has been the strategy for sometime at-least.
Old 16th April 2012, 14:44   #578
Senior - BHPian

In a recent bullying incident, my son and his friend were being bullied by their junior (also smaller and lighter) on their way to/ from school as they shared the same bus. I found this odd because the two 'senior' kids are not intimidating at all and quite happy to keep to themselves. On asking a few more questions it turned out that my son and his batchmate were having some discussions about cars (both animated and real) and the smaller kid wanted to join in. However, he did not know how to participate and felt ignored so tried to hit his way in. Perhaps by wanting to sit between these both.
After a couple of days of seeing the 'seniors' receiving a few hits, another kid from junior KG (the bully's batchmate) could not stand it and pushed the bully. This apparently started off a brawl in the KG school bus which we got to know of from the kids and then the bus attendant.
The thing I learnt is that the bully is not necessarily the biggest of the lot, though if he/ she is, then that makes it worse for the victims.
Old 16th April 2012, 19:16   #579
BHPian

Persistent bullying is a serious problem, either ways all the kids face this problem at some point in life, & the best part is that it's part of growing up & learning to deal with it independently.
I remember the first time my son was bullied, he was shocked to realize what had happened to him. He faced it a few times more & then retaliated (not by physical violence). The elder kids would not allow the younger one's to play in a certain area of the playground.
Instances like these, for most times, are a learning phase to self independence. My kid just turned 4 & he is quickly realizing how different the world actually is to what he might have perceived only 6 months ago. It's an amazing feeling to be there by your child to guide him through these learning phases.
Happy Parenting!!
Old 8th May 2012, 19:40   #580
Senior - BHPian

Can someone recommend any TV channels for children in the 3-5 age group.
I have heard of CBeeBies and their website looks impressive.
What other channels can you guys suggest?
Pogo, Nick, Disney are all quite poor in content. Shows such as Doremon don't really help. And some channels have a lot of alien/ violence content similar to some video game.
Old 8th May 2012, 19:44   #581
Senior - BHPian

see if you can access pbskids.org programming.
Old 8th May 2012, 20:01   #582
Senior - BHPian

CBeeBies, is the best and safe at the same time, as others always broadcast some sort of violence or the other which i believe is not the right time for kids to be exposed to it.

Some non violent videos like Tigger and Pooh, Jungle Junction are also very good for kids.
Old 8th May 2012, 20:06   #583
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
cbeebies is decent. the others we see here are usually crap. Anything ending in 'mon' is not allowed at home.
see if www.starfall.com interests your child(ren)

there are certain shows on channels such as fox traveller and TLC which may interest the kids, but then you need to set reminders or have good memory!

on tata sky some of the active packages are usable, but overall nothing that would entertain them for more than an hour tops. Which is a good idea, because one doesnt want too much of the idiot box either
Old 8th May 2012, 22:07   #584
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N
What other channels can you guys suggest?
Pogo, Nick, Disney are all quite poor in content. Shows such as Doremon don't really help. And some channels have a lot of alien/ violence content similar to some video game.
My son, who is now five years old, found out Caillou on YouTube. Till recently I let him watch directly off YouTube. Recently I found that some sick minded fellow dubbed expletives and uploaded. Luckily I stumbled on these videos before my son did. So I downloaded a lot of Caillou and Noddy videos from YouTube, save it on iPad and let him watch.

No doremon, chhota bheem, etc for him.
Old 8th May 2012, 23:13   #585
BHPian

My 3.5 year old son loves the videos of Peppa pig on Youtube. After watching them for so many times, he has started picking up English words and sentences from it and using them in conversations.
Tele tubbies, waybuloo, mister maker are few more videos we generally watch.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks