Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 9th May 2012, 01:38   #586
Senior - BHPian

Re: Parenthood: Sharing the joy, precious moments, learnings and experiences

meanwhile, in America 1st-Grader Suspended For Singing 'Sexy' Song - Cincinnati News Story - WLWT Cincinnati
Old 9th May 2012, 09:22   #587
BHPian

Dear Bhpians,
Good news from my side - we are blessed with our first child, a cute girl, on 30-April. Both mum and baby are doing great.

Parenthood: Sharing the joy, precious moments, learnings and experiences-imgp3638.jpg
Old 9th May 2012, 09:42   #588
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbrtz125 View Post
My 3.5 year old son loves the videos of Peppa pig on Youtube. After watching them for so many times, he has started picking up English words and sentences from it and using them in conversations.
Tele tubbies, waybuloo, mister maker are few more videos we generally watch.
Same with my son, he also found our Peppa Pig on his own and learned English watching Caillou and Peppa Pig on Youtube. However please be carefull and always monitor what you son is watching on Youtube because, as mentioned earlier, some children vides are not safe because some deranged people dubbed expletives into it. In particular watch out and avoid titles with prefix "Youtube Poop".
Old 9th May 2012, 10:37   #589
Team-BHP Support

@C300: Great news and best wishes for the baby. She is soooooooooooo cute.

Thanks for sharing.
Old 9th May 2012, 12:12   #590
Senior - BHPian

Thank you everyone for you inputs. I was not aware of any of these programs/ shows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
see if you can access pbskids.org programming.
I visited their website and tried to view the videos, but they are streamed only in the US.
Can you specify which shows from PBS I should be searching for? Maybe I might find them on some other site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
CBeeBies, is the best and safe at the same time...

Some non violent videos like Tigger and Pooh, Jungle Junction are also very good for kids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
cbeebies is decent. the others we see here are usually crap.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
My son, who is now five years old, found out Caillou on YouTube.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbrtz125 View Post
My 3.5 year old son loves the videos of Peppa pig on Youtube. ..
Tele tubbies, waybuloo, mister maker are few more videos we generally watch.
With so many options available via YouTube, now I am not sure if I should go through the hassle of getting a LNB mono block installed and then subscribe to CBeeBies. The other 8 channels in the pack from DishTV are useless for us.

The only problem now is that Youtube has 12000+ results for Caillou and 4000+ for Peppa Pig.
I am trying to figure out how to reduce the search results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C300 View Post
Dear Bhpians,
Good news from my side - we are blessed with our first child, a cute girl, on 30-April. Both mum and baby are doing great.
Congratulations, C300 and welcome to the club!
Old 9th May 2012, 14:29   #591
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
The only problem now is that Youtube has 12000+ results for Caillou and 4000+ for Peppa Pig. I am trying to figure out how to reduce the search results.
Its a daunting task indeed. Unfortunately it does not seem Youtube allows filtering to exclude certain terms / words / user. You can still search by username (uploader name). You can try searching "Caillou video channel". There are other trusted uploaders, which if you need I can share later in the evening.

This is fine if you are going to surf and download yourself. However if you are going to let your son surf, be careful because you never know which suggested videos will line up on the right hand side while viewing a video.
Old 9th May 2012, 14:58   #592
Senior - BHPian

^Well, my son is just 3 years old, and I am still teaching him how to move the mouse and click. So, at the moment, I will be downloading the videos.
Do send me some names of uploaders or links if possible.

Edit: After watching Monsters Inc movie, my son thinks there is a monster behind every door. So, sometimes it is difficult to imagine what will impact the mind of our little ones.

Last edited by S_U_N : 9th May 2012 at 15:00.
Old 9th May 2012, 15:09   #593
BHPian

Come what may, ensure that watching the idiot box or Youtube on your PC is strictly for a limited amount of time (maybe just a video or program of around 15-20 mins). Kids can get super addicted and you won't even realize how it happens over a period of time. Once they get addicted, they can r get very agitated when they are not allowed to watch these. Once they throw tantrums, the easy way out for you would be to allow that 15 mins of distraction. There'd be times when you're too tired to say no and for the kid it'd be a sign that throwing tantrum works !

So be extremely careful about the time your kid spends in front of the box.
Old 9th May 2012, 16:41   #594
Senior - BHPian

@kalpeshc: Well, my son is already addicted to Doremon and Chota Bheem.
I realized that it is no point in trying to be after him. What happens when he goes to a relative where all the kids are watching cartoons? He is bound to be hooked there even if we don't allow him to watch much at our home.

I believe all this is a passing phase. I would prefer him watching some more meaningful things, instead of Doremon and some other junk.
Old 9th May 2012, 19:15   #595
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I visited their website and tried to view the videos, but they are streamed only in the US.
Can you specify which shows from PBS I should be searching for? Maybe I might find them on some other site.
I find "curious george", "super why" and "sid the science kid" highly informative, entertaining (to the kids) and safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalpeshc View Post
Come what may, ensure that watching the idiot box or Youtube on your PC is strictly for a limited amount of time (maybe just a video or program of around 15-20 mins). Kids can get super addicted and you won't even realize how it happens over a period of time.
I have created an account for my son (not given him the password) and have a shutdown script in his startup after an hour, he gets the computer 2-3 days a week for an hour each. The shutdown only works with admin access though, so I had to give him that, if you don't you will keep scratching your head why it is not working. That computer doesn't have anything personal of ours so that's safe.

Now he has exact expectation of his privileges and walks away as soon as comp shuts down. On the same note I never tell him he has to grow up to do things, like go out or have drinks (he keeps seeing them all the time). I tell him exact timeframe (21 to drink, 12 to stay alone in house, 14 to get his own computer etc). Not only he understand, but it also enhances his counting skills . Only last week he was telling me I and he will have same digits in our ages every year. e.g. I will be 41 when he is 11, 42 when 12 and so on.

Refer to this, I can post the exact script if needed when I get home.

Microsoft Corporation

Last edited by vivekiny2k : 9th May 2012 at 19:19.
Old 14th May 2012, 08:44   #596
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
@C300: Great news and best wishes for the baby. She is soooooooooooo cute.

Thanks for sharing.
Quote:
Congratulations, C300 and welcome to the club!
Thanks a lot folks.
Cant believe its already two weeks. She keeps the entire family occupied
Old 14th May 2012, 09:20   #597
Senior - BHPian

its not too late to post in this thread. I don't know how I missed this thread.

My son Jacob Foby(Jake) dressed up for last Xmas as Santa's little helper !

He was born on 11-11-11 and now has compeled 6 months on 5/11/12
Attached Thumbnails
Parenthood: Sharing the joy, precious moments, learnings and experiences-jacob-foby-pellissery.jpg  

Last edited by foby.sebastian : 14th May 2012 at 09:22.
Old 14th May 2012, 10:28   #598
Distinguished - BHPian

Even my son(4.5 years old) was addicted to Doremon and Chota Bheem, but couple of months back we blocked all the cartoon channels. We told him that these channels are blocked. He was fine with that and started doing other activities like colouring or playing with his toys etc. So we felt that actually he was not addicted but just Doremon or other cartoon channels were a time pass for him, he is perfectly fine even without any cartoon channels. So some times diverting kids to other activities helps to take them away from Doremon or other cartoon programs.

Youtube - He is more in to Thomas and Friends Videos and Indian Railways train videos. Once in a week or two we allow him to see these videos. His toys are dominated by train toys.

I have taught him most of the traffic/road rules and he gets angry when any one jumps the signal or overtakes dangerously or comes in the wrong direction etc. He even gets angry at me if he thinks I am driving fast in city limits. These days my driving style has changed a lot because if i am not going to follow my teaching then i don't think he will value my words in the future.
Old 14th May 2012, 14:54   #599
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by C300 View Post
Thanks a lot folks. Cant believe its already two weeks. She keeps the entire family occupied
Aw, bless her. Time flies, so do ensure you take lots of pics, vids and sound recordings. Its fun for them to review these later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foby.sebastian View Post
My son Jacob Foby(Jake) dressed up for last Xmas as Santa's little helper !
He was born on 11-11-11 and now has compeled 6 months on 5/11/12
Damn cute. a little beard would do some good. which I tried to do for my son but got such a response from the wife that I didnt dare to

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
I have taught him most of the traffic/road rules and he gets angry when any one jumps the signal or overtakes dangerously or comes in the wrong direction etc. He even gets angry at me if he thinks I am driving fast in city limits. These days my driving style has changed a lot because if i am not going to follow my teaching then i don't think he will value my words in the future.
Thats a good thing for you. In my case sometimes I fear for my own safety as my son now makes faces at others from his rear/ car seat if they dont follow traffic rules.
Old 25th May 2012, 19:36   #600
Senior - BHPian

Guys, I have a long travel coming up with family. Its almost 24 hour journey, with nearly 18 hours of flying.
Could you please recommend any movies or videos that i can get to keep my 1 and 3 year old daughters occupied? The in-flight entertainment might be enough to keep them occupied for a while but for the 5-6 hours layover, it would be good if they have something to watch on the laptop.

Thanks,
Amitoj

Most Viewed