Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th July 2012, 18:48   #646
BHPian

Re: Parenthood: Sharing the joy, precious moments, learnings and experiences

Quote:
Originally Posted by C300 View Post
Thanks Selfdrive!
Yes, the appointment is booked with the local paediatrician and most of things are packed.
Did you carry any stroller/pram at the airport? I checked with the airline and it seems they allow a stroller through security to boarding gate. They specifically mentioned a 'small stroller only'. Any experience with this?
You can carry a stroller no problems at all. Airlines are always more than accommodating when a child is involved.
Can I suggest one thing, try not to worry too much, your child will be fine. I have noticed that even babies somehow catch our nervousness & tension & that's where the trouble (wailing) begins.
Every single time we flew with our 1yr old, we made it a point to keep him busy, & he would always doze off. Even at 4yrs old he dozes off while travelling, be it in a car, train or flight.
Old 4th July 2012, 18:50   #647
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Did you carry any stroller/pram at the airport? I checked with the airline and it seems they allow a stroller through security to boarding gate. They specifically mentioned a 'small stroller only'. Any experience with this?
Yes, we carried a foldable stroller with us which I was lugging about the terminal while our son toddled around merrily. You might have noticed the kind while boarding, these are usually folded and kept away so they can be handled back to you on landing. Again I am not sure of which foldable stroller will be suitable for a 2 month old.

You may want to consider taking one of them backpacks. Which you could also use to walk him/ her around during the flight as required. Please also take a colourful soft toy/ rattle and ask for seats as would suit you. If the flight is not full, do not hesitate to move to a less occupied row of seats.

Stay clear of fussy fliers who dont like bawling kids on flights. Not everyone is tolerant. I have seen people make faces when a kid is around them on a flight. When travelling alone I have even exchanged seats with some such people because they want to be seated away from kids.

Before you visit the paediatrician, please list out your questions and check them off as you ask each one. May sound a bit funny, but better to be safe! There are also some medicines available to induce sleep for your kid that I have heard of, though I have never used nor tried to use them.
Old 5th July 2012, 19:21   #648
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb_jg View Post
You can carry a stroller no problems at all. Airlines are always more than accommodating when a child is involved.
Can I suggest one thing, try not to worry too much, your child will be fine. I have noticed that even babies somehow catch our nervousness & tension & that's where the trouble (wailing) begins.
Every single time we flew with our 1yr old, we made it a point to keep him busy, & he would always doze off. Even at 4yrs old he dozes off while travelling, be it in a car, train or flight.
Thanks mb!

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Yes, we carried a foldable stroller with us which I was lugging about the terminal while our son toddled around merrily. You might have noticed the kind while boarding, these are usually folded and kept away so they can be handled back to you on landing. Again I am not sure of which foldable stroller will be suitable for a 2 month old.

You may want to consider taking one of them backpacks. Which you could also use to walk him/ her around during the flight as required. Please also take a colourful soft toy/ rattle and ask for seats as would suit you. If the flight is not full, do not hesitate to move to a less occupied row of seats.

Stay clear of fussy fliers who dont like bawling kids on flights. Not everyone is tolerant. I have seen people make faces when a kid is around them on a flight. When travelling alone I have even exchanged seats with some such people because they want to be seated away from kids.

Before you visit the paediatrician, please list out your questions and check them off as you ask each one. May sound a bit funny, but better to be safe! There are also some medicines available to induce sleep for your kid that I have heard of, though I have never used nor tried to use them.
Thanks a lot. I will check the backpacks/baby carrier. I wasnt keen on the stroller for 2 month old and a decent front carrier should do the job.
Old 5th July 2012, 19:45   #649
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks mb!

Thanks a lot. I will check the backpacks/baby carrier. I wasnt keen on the stroller for 2 month old and a decent front carrier should do the job.
be careful, 2 month olds are not still able to keep their neck straight nor can they complain about any discomfort, and need to be in a stroller which is completely flat. Incorrect strollers or slings can be very dangerous for such small babies.
Old 5th July 2012, 20:09   #650
BHPian

Folks, I have 2 questions - I am sure many of you must have come across both scenarios:

1. My 2.5 years old son (already going to Montessori and started picking up good words in English, Tamil & Kannada) is unable to spell out "R" and words related to "R" correctly. He ends up with a "T" sound instead of an "R". Example, he days "dote" instead of a "door", "dose" instead of "Rose" and so on... He quite well says all alphabets from A to Z and numbers 1 to 20. All fine except this "R" sound. I and my wife keep making attempts for this "R" related training, he always mocks us with his usual "T" sound and his sweet smile Any leads here??

2. I know when he will go to a proper "School", he would be "independent" in choosing his number of chocolates. But atleast until then, we thought of keeping him off from Chocolates. (On the other hand, we do give him Ice-Creams / fruit-candys ever-since he was a baby ). Last week when he was at a Birthday party, he smelt the taste of chocolates and started eating them in real big numbers! I am not really sure how many chocolates per day / per week is it considered "Safe" for a Toddler? Any doctor advices for your cases?
Old 5th July 2012, 20:41   #651
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
be careful, 2 month olds are not still able to keep their neck straight nor can they complain about any discomfort, and need to be in a stroller which is completely flat. Incorrect strollers or slings can be very dangerous for such small babies.
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister_M View Post
I and my wife keep making attempts for this "R" related training, he always mocks us with his usual "T" sound and his sweet smile Any leads here??
Dont give any undue attention or re emphasise words or sounds for some time. they will pick it up automatically. in short, its become an enjoyable game for him. if it persists, speak to your doctor.

Quote:
I am not really sure how many chocolates per day / per week is it considered "Safe" for a Toddler? Any doctor advices for your cases?
I think anything in moderation is ok. definition of limits is more subjective and could be based on genetics, hereditary issues (if diabetes etc run in the family).
we generally try to avoid making anything special/ taboo/ reward/ out of bounds. we also follow a rule of no sweets/ sugar after 7pm. well, we try to
Old 5th July 2012, 20:42   #652
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Folks, I have 2 questions - I am sure many of you must have come across both scenarios:

1. Example, he days "dote" instead of a "door", "dose" instead of "Rose" and so on... He quite well says all alphabets from A to Z and numbers 1 to 20. All fine except this "R" sound.

2. I am not really sure how many chocolates per day / per week is it considered "Safe" for a Toddler? Any doctor advices for your cases?
LOL. Regarding 1, just let it be and enjoy the cuteness of it. I remember how my daughter, when asked to say "Mantri Residency" would go "Manta-dee-dee-dee-dency".

2. As long as the chocolates dont become a substitute for a meal, i think it should be fine. I am not a doctor though.
Old 5th July 2012, 21:48   #653
BHPian

Quote:

1. My 2.5 years old son (already going to Montessori and started picking up good words in English, Tamil & Kannada) is unable to spell out "R" and words related to "R" correctly. He ends up with a "T" sound instead of an "R". Example, he days "dote" instead of a "door", "dose" instead of "Rose" and so on... He quite well says all alphabets from A to Z and numbers 1 to 20. All fine except this "R" sound. I and my wife keep making attempts for this "R" related training, he always mocks us with his usual "T" sound and his sweet smile Any leads here??
Please check with your child's Doctor for "tongue-tie"
Old 5th July 2012, 23:28   #654
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

He is 2.5! relax.

Off topic. In this country nobody corrects any pronunciation. Even adults can not pronounce hard 'R'. Rabbit is pronounced as Wabbit. and we hard 'R' pronouncers are laughed at .
Old 6th July 2012, 00:42   #655
BHPian

Hello, I am Dr.Rajan. My wife is a paediatrician , and we have a daughter who is 3.3 yrs. she too is not able to spell R..instead she says L. This is absolutely normal, and please do not worry about this, different children, pick up R at different age groups, usually by the age of 4 to 4.6 yrs. they will surely start with R. So please stop worrying and enjoy the little one speaking the baby language...let's cherish it now....it's going to change soon.
Old 6th July 2012, 01:40   #656
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
You are right about the neck, but whatever happened to mothers/fathers holding their babies, have we also become Amercian ? I remember my friend's wife when she came back to India for delivery and carried her girl back to America less than 2 months old and she did not get a stroller or a sling, she used bare hands and her body.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drrajanvr View Post
Hello, I am Dr.Rajan. My wife is a paediatrician , and we have a daughter who is 3.3 yrs. she too is not able to spell R..instead she says L. This is absolutely normal, and please do not worry about this, different children, pick up R at different age groups, usually by the age of 4 to 4.6 yrs. they will surely start with R. So please stop worrying and enjoy the little one speaking the baby language...let's cherish it now....it's going to change soon.

+ a 10000 to you sir. We should learn to love their mis pronunciations and funny sounds now and not worry too much about it. They will learn and correct themselves later on, till then it is pure joy.
Old 6th July 2012, 07:33   #657
BHPian

Thank you and have a great parenthood,..
Old 6th July 2012, 11:21   #658
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
..is unable to spell out "R" and words related to "R" correctly.
My son too is in the same situation. "R" sound is replaced by "L". I wonder how kids in Finland handle this, since they don't have a simple "R", instead it is "Rrrrrrr".

Quote:
Originally Posted by drrajanvr View Post
Hello, I am Dr.Rajan. My wife is a paediatrician
Hey Doc., maybe your wife should keep sending tips on this thread.
Old 6th July 2012, 11:37   #659
BANNED

Re: Save our Kids!

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Welcome to INDIA, where were you living the last few years ? US or Europe, right ? How come you forgot INDIA ? Or maybe you are a new father, right?

Do you seriously think that these are the death traps for our children ? No way. Please check the schools, teachers, us parents and our lifestyles and our expectations on our children before coming into a mundane event (yes, that is very insensitive of me).

Only hope to save your own children is educating them yourselves on every safety parameter and once they get the drift, they are too smart not to venture out on anything stupid like the incidents you have quoted. Our kids are much much more smarter in this than the western kids.
Thanks for welcome,I am not US return or UK return,I am from Bangalore and all my points are based on incidents which is happening everyday.

Yes you are right, as a parent its our duty to give them good education ,but if school driver makes mistakes how our smart kids avoid such incidents.When I say save our kids, its not only my kids,it may be anyone's.

Last edited by balechaparka : 6th July 2012 at 12:03.
Old 6th July 2012, 11:52   #660
BHPian

Sure, we are ready to keep posting things on this thread. Anytime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by balechaparka

Thanks for welcome,I am not US return or UK return,I am from Bangalore and all my points are based on incidents which is happening everyday.

Yes you are right, as a parent its our duty to give them good education ,but if school driver makes mistakes how our smart kids avoid such incidents.When I say save our kids, its not only my kids its.it may be anyone's.
Hello...to all the parents. Looking at the way the vehicle population and risks involved are always increasing. The best we can do for our little kids is to take up the responsibility of dropping them and picking them up from school in our own vehicles. I understand its not practical for all of us to do this. But then please think of the safety of our kids. If not for us, whom did they believe and came in to this bad world. Probably the child's grandparents, uncles aunts..etc can help us out with this..we must take it more seriously about child care ..specially with a girl child.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks