Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th November 2013, 11:44   #841
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Parenthood: Sharing the joy, precious moments, learnings and experiences

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
NO WAY!

I did this with my daughter. Now almost 3 years later she sits on my head and makes me run around.
Whoa! You must have a lot of patience and also she must have made you loose some weight

Holding babies closer to body helps them sooth in the initial days but the habit of doing so should slowly reduce. There is no harm in holding baby on your lap but it comes with side effects - you tend to sit upright, back pain and lack of proper sleep for you would result in irritating behavior. If you are able to manage this and not let this take toll on overall health of you or mother, thats ideal. The Kangaroo Care Technique is very much advocated by neonatologists and scientifically proven too!

On a side note, there is myth I kept hearing from my mom - If you continue to keep babies on your lap and connected to your body, they won't gain weight! Forget the truth in this but the side effects (back pain etc) made us follow it
Old 20th November 2013, 11:45   #842
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karthik1100 View Post

During birth on 6th Nov, she weighed 3.22kgs. After three days during discharge she weighed 3kgs. A week later her weight was 2.9kgs. 10 days of birth, she weighed 2.840kgs. This weekend will take her to doc again for routine checkup, hope her weight has increased!
Weight reducing in the first few days is normal. Don't worry about it.
The doctor would advice you accordingly.

For my first born, my wife and I had a small white board setup.
We kept a log of both feeding and pooping.

It helps the parents calm down a lot more than the baby.
For my second kid, did not need to do anything like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abirnale View Post
On a side note, there is myth I kept hearing from my mom - If you continue to keep babies on your lap and connected to your body, they won't gain weight! Forget the truth in this but the side effects (back pain etc) made us follow it
I have heard this one too. One more in the long list of funny stuff that I dare not laugh at in front of the older generation.

Last edited by bblost : 20th November 2013 at 11:47.
Old 20th November 2013, 11:54   #843
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Vikram, Stool and urine - Normal.
Burping is done regularly after each feed. Also, my MIL does carry the baby for sometime in upright position.
Cool! I was in the same boat as you are now [my girl is now 6 weeks old] and had similar doubts about the baby's feeding, sleeping, burping etc. Slowly, I have realised that babies also pass through phases w.r.t feeding & sleeping/staying awake patterns, what makes them comfortable/uncomfortable etc, and these phases can come and go very fast. However, they are more resilient and adaptable than we think and overall do just fine. So, don't worry too much [a little bit is okay!] and enjoy this new chapter in your life!

Good luck!

Cheers,
Vikram
Old 20th November 2013, 12:02   #844
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by abirnale View Post
side effects - you tend to sit upright, back pain and lack of proper sleep for you would result in irritating behavior. If you are able to manage this and not let this take toll on overall health of you or mother
As my wife had C-Section, what you said holds right for her. She is not able to carry the baby on her lap for too long and she starts getting irritated.

Quote:
Weight reducing in the first few days is normal. Don't worry about it.
The doctor would advice you accordingly.

For my first born, my wife and I had a small white board setup.
We kept a log of both feeding and pooping.
Thanks Imran, will follow the white board approach!

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Cool! I was in the same boat as you are now [my girl is now 6 weeks old]

So, don't worry too much [a little bit is okay!] and enjoy this new chapter in your life!

Good luck!

Cheers,
Vikram
Yes Vikram agree! First kid, hence the tension!

Hope to see some pics of your lil girl soon.
Old 20th November 2013, 12:05   #845
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
As my wife had C_Section, what you said holds right for her. She is not able to carry the baby on her lap for too long and she starts getting irritated.
I am significantly larger than my wife.
So I would sit behind her and hold my daughter during the first few days of feeding.
Bringing my arms coming around my wife.

You could try this approach.

Once the mother is a little stronger and the feeding pattern is established these issues just disappear.
Old 20th November 2013, 12:19   #846
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Now almost 3 years later she sits on my head and makes me run around.
Well, even my 5 year old does that with me
My take is, enjoy their childhood while it lasts.

Quote:
Will show this video to my wife, hope the baby stays calm!
The babycenter website is indeed very useful. I would suggest you to register there with your baby’s birth date. The weekly updates coming through will give a you some useful notes on your baby’s development, and what can be expected in the coming weeks.
Old 21st November 2013, 15:33   #847
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Well, even my 5 year old does that with me
My take is, enjoy their childhood while it lasts.
You said it.

My daughter is 10 and I miss the running around today, all of sudden she is grown up . Though, My 5 year old son tries makes up to it.

I loved those countless nights trying to make them sleep in my arms. Putting them on bed and catching a minute of nap, before the howl wakes me up, and the routine continued. Frankly i had wished some sleep after a days hard work. But today looking back, i wish I could do it everyday again .

So just enjoy these golden days.

And, no replacement to mothers milk. There is absolutely nothing that a kid needs more than that. As long as the mother can feed, just dont stop.

Last edited by mannubhai : 21st November 2013 at 15:36.
Old 21st November 2013, 15:49   #848
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannubhai View Post
You said it.
My daughter is 10 and I miss the running around today, all of sudden she is grown up. Though, My 5 year old son tries makes up to it.
I loved those countless nights trying to make them sleep in my arms. Putting them on bed and catching a minute of nap, before the howl wakes me up, and the routine continued. Frankly i had wished some sleep after a days hard work. But today looking back, i wish I could do it everyday again .
So just enjoy these golden days.
So true… I already miss those times when she was 2-3 years old

People in general get engrossed in disciplining the child so much that they tend to forget that childhood is a fleeting phase. I don’t miss any opportunity to live it up with my little girl
Old 21st November 2013, 16:09   #849
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
So true…
Just turned me nostalgic.

Sharing an old video of my son, when he was about a year and few months.

Old 21st November 2013, 16:52   #850
BHPian

Guys, I showed all all the posts of the last few pages to wifey, and it did really help us a lot. Thanks EVERYONE!

Update is, she is now sleeping well. For example, today she slept at 1:30pm and still sleeping and not waking up even when tried to.

Today's doubt is (), generally do a month old babies wake up automatically when they are hungry?

Last edited by Karthik1100 : 21st November 2013 at 17:00.
Old 21st November 2013, 18:01   #851
BHPian

Quote:

Today's doubt is (), generally do a month old babies wake up automatically when they are hungry?
Karthik, A big congrats . Hope you are enjoying promotion to being a father from a mere husband

I always wondered if all kids follow US time zones, and apparently they do :P

Yes, the babies do wake up automatically when they are hungry. And they also ensure to wake you up. So do catch up to what ever little sleep you may get in between her being hungry and sleepy. And do tell your wifey also to do the same. The mom needs lots of rest these days.
Old 21st November 2013, 19:13   #852
BHPian

Quote:
Karthik, A big congrats . Hope you are enjoying promotion to being a father from a mere husband
Mannubhai: My in-laws now say I have become a responsible man, as though I was irresponsible before!

As you said to enjoy every moment now, only thing that comes in between is FEAR! Fear of baby getting cold or an infection or fear of baby not drinking milk properly. Everytime she cries lil more, all at home fear wondering why the baby is crying so much.

Also, wifey is now coming out of all pains cos of the operation and still has some normal issues due to wrong feeding position etc.

Rest, everything is wonderful! Wifey realizes my value more now. The bonding has definitely increased multiple folds. Those statements like "I am a working woman and can live independently" etc, I am sure she will think many times before making such statements now!

A daughter is truly what wifey and me wished for, and yes, we are proud parents now!
Attached Thumbnails
Parenthood: Sharing the joy, precious moments, learnings and experiences-20131106_0705221.jpg  

Old 21st November 2013, 19:24   #853
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Just turned me nostalgic.
Sharing an old video of my son, when he was about a year and few months.
Thanks for sharing the video.
The advent of smartphones and sharing media like YouTube is indeed great for us parents.

Quote:
Guys, I showed all all the posts of the last few pages to wifey, and it did really help us a lot. Thanks EVERYONE!
Karthik, do invest in a good camera so that you can capture all those wonderful moments (avoid using strong flash though).
Old 11th December 2013, 16:39   #854
BHPian

My little angel came into this world 5 days ago! Super-excited and a little nervous. I have never been so happy losing sleep (no, not even on long drives ).

I will go through this thread completely in a few days as and when I find time.

My wife had a C-section too. While feeding, she sits on a chair right next to the bed, and places 2 pillows one over the other with 3/4th on her, and 1/4th on the frame of the bed at an angle so that the pillow is raised where the baby's head has to be. This way she is able to feed the baby comfortably without the baby or the pillow pressing her stitches.
Old 11th December 2013, 20:14   #855
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasanthn21 View Post
My little angel came into this world 5 days ago! Super-excited and a little nervous. I have never been so happy losing sleep (no, not even on long drives ).

I will go through this thread completely in a few days as and when I find time.

My wife had a C-section too. While feeding, she sits on a chair right next to the bed, and places 2 pillows one over the other with 3/4th on her, and 1/4th on the frame of the bed at an angle so that the pillow is raised where the baby's head has to be. This way she is able to feed the baby comfortably without the baby or the pillow pressing her stitches.
Congrats Vasanth! And enjoy your days/sleepless nights ahead. Yes., you will never ever be unhappy about losing your sleep during these days.

Regarding pillow - you might try the "boppy pillow" (aka feeding pillow) which will be useful for most of the mothers/babies. You can google for the quoted words above and you will know what I am referring to (if you don't know already). It is available in most of the baby-care shops and sites like firstcry.com.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks