Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st February 2012, 13:58   #511
Senior - BHPian

Re: Parenthood: Sharing the joy, precious moments, learnings and experiences

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
What i have been following is keep up with her academic, physical and social progress as compared to her peers in the class. In all these parameters i do not see her struggling one bit but still the thought is lingering on as to am i doing the right thing or would it be better to go a grade down and give her even more breather and easy going.

The opposite side of me tells me that having a year advantage will always help when she is of the age where in she would like to take a break form studies for whatever reasons (like we used to do to get into engineering and medical) - a legacy thought process i must add.
As someone who was the youngest in my class by a fair margin, I think it would have been better to put me in the next class. Of course this is hindsight, but I was not so good at math. Whether I would have been better in math in the next grade is debatable, but I would have a better oppotunity of understanding things at my level. If the school is decently attentive to the needs of all children and if the child is assertive enough, I dont see any risk in terms of getting bullied. Not sure if you asked that question, but there you are!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav2000 View Post
Well, I need to tackle one issue at a time. Bringing up kids is probably the most difficult thing that any person has to do, and also one full of joy and happiness. But, getting back to the topic, its a way to reinforce the fact that good behavior will be rewarded.
In my case, I tried to use the 'star' concept given by some teachers, where my son got more stars for completing daily activities. This is only because I didnt want him to get worried about money so early. Purely subjective though, only sharing what I did for benefit of some others who may think like me.
Old 1st February 2012, 15:38   #512
BHPian

At times there is nothing called " enough"

Guess this is the best branding they can get !!!

My son , Nimai, finishing off the last miniscule drop of icecream , in his own way
Attached Thumbnails
Parenthood: Sharing the joy, precious moments, learnings and experiences-img00572201109181528.jpg  

mannubhai is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st February 2012, 16:25   #513
Senior - BHPian

Much awaited response from few folks who possibly are in the same situation as i am. Thanks guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kippu View Post
been going over the same dilemma with my 2.3 year old and more or less my mind is made up to go for 3.5 years to LKG.. I dont see any risk in terms of getting bullied
Sorry did not understand you fully, so the kiddo is 2.5 and the grade requires him/her to be 3.5. Well that's no brainier, as 1 year difference between him/her and the other class mates is too much so you did the right thing by going with the right grade. Also when you said you do not see any risk in getting bullied, as i understand you meant you do not see any risk in being a grade higher.

The problem i am talking about is when kiddo is 3-6 months in between. Especially kids born from Aug/Sept/Oct (Usually Oct is simple as they do not take them in the same class anyway these days).

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
As someone who was the youngest in my class by a fair margin, I think it would have been better to put me in the next class.
I too was the youngest in the class but never faced any problem, although i was never a topper, but was always somewhere in between when it came to studies, and was somewhere near the top when it came to sports.

Is your child in similar situation, and if yes how are you finding his/her progress?

Any pointers there that could help me figure this out. I have already outlined what all i am looking at and would love to learn a different way for figuring this out.

Last edited by mayankjha1806 : 1st February 2012 at 16:27.
Old 1st February 2012, 16:27   #514
BHPian

What a nice thread .. Here is my 1.5 Yr old daughter ASMI .. Now she is doing a new thing everyday .
Attached Thumbnails
Parenthood: Sharing the joy, precious moments, learnings and experiences-100_5444-large.jpg  

sam_boy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2012, 18:08   #515
BANNED

This is in context of the Norwegian child care scam. (grr... I have no other words for it).

A mini poll:-

1.1 How many of you eat with your bare hands?

1.2 How many of you feed your kids with bare hands?

2.1 When (a what age) did your kids start sleeping away from you?
(< 12 months? 12 months to 18 months? after 18 months? after 2 years? )

2.2. How often do they come into your bed room in night?
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2012, 18:24   #516
BHPian

Here's my kid. Now he's 11 months old. Hates my stubble, and is happy to give a kiss only after i have a clean shave.

Captured this moment when he happened to be playing with the powder.
Attached Thumbnails
Parenthood: Sharing the joy, precious moments, learnings and experiences-426123_3127452541419_1117855014_3360395_1231915410_n.jpg  

Last edited by Blue_V : 28th February 2012 at 18:26.
Blue_V is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th February 2012, 18:39   #517
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
This is in context of the Norwegian child care scam. (grr... I have no other words for it).
True, I have the same answers as most of the others here would. I remember reading somewhere that the elder kid of the two was spitting at people (and other erratic behaviour) which was traced to these points (pertaining to your questions). It seems the Norwegians have found the wrong root cause. Especially because the errant behaviour, for eg spitting is still a habit despite living away from his parents.
So if the problem lies elsewhere, that should be redressed. And I am totally disgusted by the fact that somebody can take away your kids. Cannot begin to imagine what agony they must be going through (the kids as well as the parents). My sympathies to them; I am sure they, and many others would stay away from Norway for some time!
Old 1st March 2012, 02:56   #518
Senior - BHPian

I was going to put this in jokes thread but then I figured there is more learning that humor in this video.

Old 1st March 2012, 11:54   #519
Senior - BHPian

After about 2-3 months of deliberations and looking for different schools, and showing them to her to get her approval to move school and a class down, we have decided to continue in the same school and she would be going to class 1 next year (and not repeat the year).

The reason for this decision is that she does not want to be in different school as she has friends here and would like to be in the same class as the rest of her classmates.
Old 1st March 2012, 12:24   #520
Senior - BHPian

Its become quiet hard to keep my 9months old toddler engaged, am looking for some simple toys which may amuse a 9months old?

Any suggestions experienced folks
Old 1st March 2012, 15:32   #521
Senior - BHPian

My almost 3 year old daughter has not had a week without cough in the past 3 months or so. We have taken her to two different doctors but they both have not been able to help much. Does anyone have contact number for Dr Arvind Shenoi? Heard he is quite good but i am not able to find his number.

EDIT: I have a couple of numbers from the internet but if anyone has a number that they know works, that would be great. Plus a word or two about the doc, just to confirm that the internet is right.

Last edited by amitoj : 1st March 2012 at 15:35.
Old 1st March 2012, 16:28   #522
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
My almost 3 year old daughter has not had a week without cough in the past 3 months or so. We have taken her to two different doctors but they both have not been able to help much. Does anyone have contact number for Dr Arvind Shenoi? Heard he is quite good but i am not able to find his number.

EDIT: I have a couple of numbers from the internet but if anyone has a number that they know works, that would be great. Plus a word or two about the doc, just to confirm that the internet is right.
@amitoj, Do not know if this would be helpful, i see a doctor at Columbia Asia, Hebbal for my son and he is really very good. Diagnoses very accurate. His name is Dr.Kishore Das.
rk_sans is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2012, 16:36   #523
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk_sans View Post
@amitoj, Do not know if this would be helpful, i see a doctor at Columbia Asia, Hebbal for my son and he is really very good. Diagnoses very accurate. His name is Dr.Kishore Das.
Till recently I thought the pediatrician we had was also very good

So i will need some more evidence to believe in the "good" factor. Hope you understand.
Old 1st March 2012, 16:44   #524
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk_sans View Post
Columbia Asia, Hebbal for my son and he is really very good
Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Till recently I thought the pediatrician we had was also very good
My view is most of the ones recommended by word of mouth are good, its just that all kids are different and sometimes some medicines work well on one and not so much on the other. We had consulted most well known experts when it came to out daughters cold/cough/infection (one of them being Dr E V Raman in Manipal, a very good doctor). Finally we had to step away from him in favor of some other doctor whom we are now regular with.

We always go to him, he is not very aggressive with medicine and human body in general (a different line of thought, if you will). It does mean sometimes the pain needs to be borne little longer as no antibiotics are used. Not that he does not give antibiotics, but just that he is not very aggressively in favor of giving them until all other natural options have been tried.

Case in point Meftal P, a well known medicine for controlling fever, until recently we used it whenever fever was not controllable by Crocin. Now we know Meftal P is only to be used as an SOS, when the temperature is really really high. Over use of that can cause some problems later on. So now if Crocin does not work we either try Crocin DS, or put wet cloth on forehead to control the temperature to some extent and bring it down so as Crocin can then work.

Last edited by mayankjha1806 : 1st March 2012 at 16:51.
mayankjha1806 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2012, 16:58   #525
Senior - BHPian

One other thing we should keep track is when the child starts going to playschools, they tend to get it from other children and this would take sometime to get adjusted. My son took full 2 yrs to adjust to that scenario. He used to have cold and cough every 15 days once for first 2 yrs of schooling.
As mentioned by @mayankjha1806, its not always use of antibotics works, natural heal is better and i have learnt that from my son for past 3 yrs.
rk_sans is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks