Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 13th March 2012, 14:58   #541
BHPian

Re: Summer Camp for Kids!

I think the info you are looking for must be available in local newspapers and local TV channels.
Also you may find advertizements for summer camps/courses, etc displayed near the school. And some might even be arranged by schools!!
Old 14th March 2012, 16:29   #542
Senior - BHPian

Re: Parenthood: Sharing the joy, precious moments, learnings and experiences

My daughter has a new act these days, at any given point of time when either me or her mom is around, she will start asking us to tell a story. initially she used to ask for one only while going to bed but now she do randomly.

And we have no other options but to tell her a story, though her mummy tells here some old classic Thristy crow, Crocodile-Monkey friendship etc stories. I have came up with few original stories like "How a Lion has to wash utensils for not paying after having burger, pizza, icecream in an eating joint", "How a Giraffe is being beaten by a ghost for not learning poems, alphabets, numbers etc" and "How a Cat puts extra effort in studying for getting a toy plane just like one owned by her friend Monkey."
BANDHAV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th March 2012, 16:41   #543
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BANDHAV View Post
she will start asking us to tell a story.
Stories are wonderful way of learning for kids and explaining for parents, please be happy that she is showing keen interest and make the extra effort. I am saying this as sometimes its a real pain, i am sleepy and tired but she needs the bed time story. What i have done is something like this

1. Always stories with some moral or learning. Examples Panchtantra, Akbar Birbal, Vikram & Vetal etc etc there are many.
2. Eric Carle books - This one she just loves them, they are small, rhyme, and have beautiful pictures and stories and explain a concept like numbers, days, seasons etc etc. She started with The very hungry Caterpillar and now has moved on to other books from the same writer. He is my and her favorite .
mayankjha1806 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2012, 16:51   #544
Senior - BHPian

^^^

My younger brother, aged 7 has a similar behavior. Everyday he makes my dad/mom to lie along with him and tell stories

Given that this behavior began some few years back, my mom and dad had run short of stories long back! As my mom is not that great at cooking up stories and short tempered, dad had to take up the duty of making my brother sleep. Now what my dad does is to buy books containing multiple short stories, general knowledge books, child magazines/weeklies (Magic Pot blah blah) etc and reads out the stories and also makes him read, for a fixed period of time. Most often he eventually falls in to sleep, else dad turns off lights, talks to him for a while and do 'tricks' to make him sleep. This way it is made sure that he sleeps before 21:00 and wakes up ~05:45

The only downside with this technique is that my bro asks me general knowledge questions while I study my subjects. *evil grin*
Klub Class is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2012, 16:56   #545
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BANDHAV View Post
My daughter has a new act these days, at any given point of time when either me or her mom is around, she will start asking us to tell a story.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
Stories are wonderful way of learning for kids and explaining for parents, please be happy that she is showing keen interest and make the extra effort. I am saying this as sometimes its a real pain, i am sleepy and tired but she needs the bed time story.
I have been through a similar situation when my son was younger. When he turned 3, I asked him to narrate the story (that I read to him) to my wife in his own words. Which he did reluctantly. After a few weeks of another story that my wife used to read to him, he narrated it to me. The best part was during his first term of senior KG he narrated the same story very happily in class. Now he plans to narrate it to the expected new addition to our family.

An offshoot is that he noticed I usually keep an old newspaper handy in the toilet shelf to read. Now he has developed the habit to ask for something to read while he goes potty
Old 14th March 2012, 18:26   #546
BHPian

How are you guys dealing with 4yr old fussy eaters. My son drives us nuts when it comes to food. Everything else is "A" ok!!
He loves donuts, bread sticks, dosa, peanut butter & jelly sandwiches. But when it comes to normal food like dal, rice, fish, he acts pricey.

Last edited by mb_jg : 14th March 2012 at 18:28.
Old 14th March 2012, 18:50   #547
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb_jg View Post
How are you guys dealing with 4yr old fussy eaters. My son drives us nuts when it comes to food. Everything else is "A" ok!!
He loves donuts, bread sticks, dosa, peanut butter & jelly sandwiches. But when it comes to normal food like dal, rice, fish, he acts pricey.
Don't get me wrong, but how did he get access to "abnormal" food in the first place? As long as they have alternatives, they WILL ask for it.
Old 14th March 2012, 18:55   #548
BHPian

Not at all. He gets to eat donuts & sandwiches only on weekends. On school days he has to have his eggs for breakfast, & rotis, dal, etc for lunch & dinner.
I mentioned the donuts etc, cause he gulps them down without winking, but he refuses to swallow dal, rice etc. One more thing, he never throws a tantrum or asks for donuts etc while having normal food. But he just acts really pricey to eat that.

Last edited by mb_jg : 14th March 2012 at 18:57.
Old 14th March 2012, 19:10   #549
Senior - BHPian

Ok, my question was rhetorical, What I was trying to say is you have to cut the bad food if you don't want him to have it.

If you keep alternating between good and bad food and hope he learns what's good and bad, that's a little too much to expect. He is just 4!
Old 14th March 2012, 20:38   #550
BHPian

Stories !!!

Thirsty Crow !!!

When this story was narrated to my son, almost two years back, he plainly asked us, why did the crow have to throw stones into the pot !!! Such a tedious effort !

The crow could have just brought a straw, put it inside the pot, and sipped through it
:-D
Old 14th March 2012, 20:52   #551
BHPian

Ok. So we have a deal with our daughter. On Saturdays, it is her who has to tell a story to both of us, and rest of the days, it is her mom/me who tell her a story.

This way we mostly come to know some real time stories.
Old 15th March 2012, 04:00   #552
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Not at all. He gets to eat donuts & sandwiches only on weekends
Believe me Donuts and Sandwiches are just fine. Kids when they go to school and see other kids having different things they do get interested. So its best not to deprive them of that pleasure. Think about stuffing sandwiches with things that he does not like and make it as nutritious as possible.

The other questions to ask is Is he generally healthy (Active, not falling sick often) then its alright.

BTW, these days many kids do not eat well, my daughter is one of them. Wife tries to make food interesting like making Pasta, Pizza at home with nutritious ingredients. Stuffing her paratha with stuff that she usually does not like, making dalia with all crushed dry fruits so as she does not see them, and what not. It takes her about an hour to finish her portion of rice+daal, or Roties, and that too after constant reminding to continue eating and stop talking .
Old 15th March 2012, 10:42   #553
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
It takes her about an hour to finish her portion of rice+daal, or Roties, and that too after constant reminding to continue eating and stop talking .
I have a few questions here about what happens at lunch/ dinner time.
Are you all seated together throughout dinner or do any of you leave early if they are finished?
Is the television switched on during meal time? Or any other distraction
Are your meal times regular? As in similar times each day?
What snacks does the child have access to between meal times?

It is perfectly normal for children to take longer over their meals especially if they have some interesting conversation to share!
Old 15th March 2012, 14:27   #554
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
I have a few questions here about what happens at lunch/ dinner time.
Are you all seated together throughout dinner or do any of you leave early if they are finished?
Is the television switched on during meal time? Or any other distraction
Are your meal times regular? As in similar times each day?
What snacks does the child have access to between meal times?

It is perfectly normal for children to take longer over their meals especially if they have some interesting conversation to share!
No television while eating. Infact there is no way to watch Television from the dining table. And dinner is only served at Dining table. No exceptions.

My child a long time to finish his meal. So I sit down and start dinner with him. Before I get up, my wife joins us for dinner. Then she stays with my son till the end.

Meal times are regular. Exceptions are made when we have friends visiting who have kids. Or we are ordering dinner from outside. Or we are going out for dinner.
Old 15th March 2012, 15:44   #555
Senior - BHPian

^^ Thanks carbookie. But my questions were originally intended at understanding if any of these topics are causing the issues for @mb_jg. As he mentioned his child is currently a bit fussy at eating.

Most Viewed