Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 6th June 2013, 18:04   #796
BHPian

Re: Parenthood: Sharing the joy, precious moments, learnings and experiences

Few days back my six year old son pointed towards small name plate (My wife and my name written on it) outside our house and asked what purpose it has.
And when I replied him appropriately he again asked me why my name is not written there then!!! I was speechless.

Quote:
Thought of sharing this as constipation is a common complaint with kids.
Maybe it is these (unnecessary?) supplements that are to blame.
You are right. In fact I have (personal) experience with my son too when he was just under two. These types of food have only nutritional supplements like carbs, fat, minerals, vitamins etc but no roughage.

Last edited by rsjaurr : 6th June 2013 at 18:08.
Old 8th June 2013, 16:39   #797
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
My daughter is about 2 years and 5 months old. She suddenly had a nasty bout of constipation.

Stopped the Horlicks and instead gave her only milk.

The very next day she had normal stools. It is 4 days since we stopped the horlicks and she is back to normal.

Thanks for sharing this. As kids me and my brother were never able to accept the taste of any of these so called health drinks and we therefore never had it except for tasting. Though we were force fed milk(we didn't like milk either). I have kind of formed an opinion that both humans and pets should be brought up on natural food instead of processed or packaged(including cereals etc) supplements.
The advertisements of these health drinks indirectly want to convey that kids will grow up to be retards if they are not fed with them, it seriously puts me off.
Old 8th June 2013, 16:55   #798
Team-BHP Support

Went for a post-dinner walk with my 5-year old yesterday night, and we saw a nice red V40 at the signal. Seeing the car, she said “That’s a nice Vol”. Seeing the puzzled look on my face, she explained “The other day you saw a Jaguar and said it’s a nice Jag. So like Jaguar is Jag, a Volvo is Vol”. I nodded in agreement and we continued walking
Old 10th June 2013, 12:44   #799
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
Yesterday what we (Me and my daughter) saw made both of us very sad.
Thanks for sharing this.

Was watching "Crime Patrol" on Sony channel a few days ago, and I think I can somehow relate to this.

What it spoke about was, a male child is generally seen as a "budhape ka sahara" by most people (if you know what I mean), and hence is highly desired (most elderlies even give blessings to pregnant women to bear a male child). A girl child on the other hand is seen as a liability, whose shelf life is 25-27 years at the most, after which you need to get her married and forget about her (she kinda does not give return on investment). Disgusting words I know, but that's exactly what was said on the show and I completely agree that such a thought process in all probability exists.

This of course is a primitive mindset, and hence, the elderly lady slapping the little girl just out of pure hate is not really surprising. I think the mother knows about this hatred of that elderly woman (who most probably would be the mother in law of the lady), and therefore she quickly whisked the little girl away.

It's sad really. I wonder what you could have done about it even if you had traced the parents down and spoken to them.

Last edited by Oxy : 10th June 2013 at 12:49.
Old 11th June 2013, 14:10   #800
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
A couple of days later we decided that the root cause was something else.
Backtracked on her diet and realized that we had introduced her to Junior Horlicks.
Every night I would add a couple of spoons to milk and give it to her.

Stopped the Horlicks and instead gave her only milk.

The very next day she had normal stools. It is 4 days since we stopped the horlicks and she is back to normal.

You do know that all health drinks are basically big farce?
Also that people had normal and/or high performing children even when there were no health drinks in past ...

Similarly health benefits of sunflower oil is one of the biggest marketing ploy of the decades (introduced by Saffola and lapped up by all the public)

Keep in mind, any advertisement having kids is either made to target and lure kids or target and scare their parent.

Last edited by alpha1 : 11th June 2013 at 14:12.
Old 20th June 2013, 12:03   #801
Senior - BHPian

50 best apps for kids (mostly for the iPad)
http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology...medium=twitter
Old 20th June 2013, 14:28   #802
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
Similarly health benefits of sunflower oil is one of the biggest marketing ploy of the decades (introduced by Saffola and lapped up by all the public)
Off topic-

Saffola sells safflower(kardi) oil. I believe they never sold sunflower oil.
Old 13th July 2013, 03:00   #803
Senior - BHPian

Sorry for a part-OT.

Can anyone recommend any good (budget no constraint) day-cares in and around the Thiruvanmiyur area in Chennai? We need something which includes meals, takes care of the kid from 0830 to 1930 and has an optional pickup facility. Our current Gurgaon one is like 0800-2000 hours (max). Most Chennai places are like 0900-1800 max.

Anywhere between Thiruvanmiyur and Anna Salai would be doable for us - please advise. thanks.
Old 13th July 2013, 10:04   #804
BHPian

Dear all, My little angel will turn 3 next month and we plan to sent her to pre-school from Sept. We live in Kallampally area near Sreekaryam, Tvm. Any preschools in the area recommended by bhps? Thanks in advance for your feedbacks.
Old 14th July 2013, 00:34   #805
BHPian

Hey Dads/Moms, this is the first time I am posting in this thread as I recently got the 'dad' promotion. We are blessed with a baby boy (30-May) - our first one.

Now, during our routine checkup with the pediatrician, we were told that the baby has this 'Gastro-Esophageal Reflux' issue by which the milk he is taking in, spills over from the food-pipe and enters the wind-pipe. The doc has suggested that

1. my wife should feed the baby by keeping him in an up-right position
2. After feeding, to keep the baby in the up-right position for at least 15-20 minutes before putting him in his bed.
3. To put him in a tummy-down position for as long as we can.

The first two points are kind-of doable and we have been taking care of them now. The 3rd point - to put the baby in tummy-down position in bed - makes the baby cry a lot as he is not much comfortable. Only when he is in deep sleep, we are able to do this.

Have any of you encountered this issue for your kids and if so, what were the steps that you took to reduce this. Any information regarding this would be very much beneficial.

Thanks!
Old 14th July 2013, 10:39   #806
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by callvvijay View Post
Hey Dads/Moms, this is the first time I am posting in this thread as I recently got the 'dad' promotion. We are blessed with a baby boy (30-May) - our first one.

Now, during our routine checkup with the pediatrician, we were told that the baby has this 'Gastro-Esophageal Reflux' issue by which the milk he is taking in, spills over from the food-pipe and enters the wind-pipe. The doc has suggested that

1. my wife should feed the baby by keeping him in an up-right position
2. After feeding, to keep the baby in the up-right position for at least 15-20 minutes before putting him in his bed.
3. To put him in a tummy-down position for as long as we can.

The first two points are kind-of doable and we have been taking care of them now. The 3rd point - to put the baby in tummy-down position in bed - makes the baby cry a lot as he is not much comfortable. Only when he is in deep sleep, we are able to do this.

Have any of you encountered this issue for your kids and if so, what were the steps that you took to reduce this. Any information regarding this would be very much beneficial.

Thanks!
This is very common,after feeding,just carry the baby and pat his back with his stomach against your chest gently until he burps.
Old 14th July 2013, 11:16   #807
BHPian

And let him drink some water after every breast feeding session. This is to 'wash' his mouth.
Old 14th July 2013, 11:28   #808
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
And let him drink some water after every breast feeding session. This is to 'wash' his mouth.
NO .

Never give a baby anything apart from his feed.
Preferably mothers milk.
But no water.

Check youtube on burping videos.
Old 14th July 2013, 14:33   #809
BHPian

The water is not a supplement for breast milk; it is for rinsing the mouth of baby after breast feeding. Some babies doze off while breat feeding. It is even more important is such cases to not let milk linger in baby's mouth. It's effect can be seen first hand in my son's case and we are eagerly waiting for replacement teeth to pop out at 6 to 7 years of age.
Old 14th July 2013, 18:49   #810
Distinguished - BHPian

@Guite, Babies should Not be given any water for the first six months. For first six months, the only thing the baby should be given is breast milk - and nothing else.

Giving water during these 6 months opens up chances of infections.

Water can be given in small quantities after that.

Regarding your son, you have not said what has happened. I am not asking for details, but suggest you consult a qualified dentist for that.

Most Viewed