Search this Thread
Old 14th July 2013, 19:06   #811
BHPian

Re: Parenthood: Sharing the joy, precious moments, learnings and experiences

Quote:
Originally Posted by callvvijay View Post
... The doc has suggested that

1. my wife should feed the baby by keeping him in an up-right position
2. After feeding, to keep the baby in the up-right position for at least 15-20 minutes before putting him in his bed.
3. To put him in a tummy-down position for as long as we can.

The first two points are kind-of doable and we have been taking care of them now. The 3rd point - to put the baby in tummy-down position in bed - makes the baby cry a lot as he is not much comfortable. Only when he is in deep sleep, we are able to do this.
The third point can be omitted. If the baby is 'burped' adequately, there is a next to nil chance of aspirations. The baby is going to be be very uncomfortable as he/she doesn't have enough strength yet to make himself/herself comfortable in the prone position.

And do make sure point 1 is followed, especially in the middle of the night when everyone is sleepy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
... It is even more important is such cases to not let milk linger in baby's mouth. It's effect can be seen first hand in my son's case and we are eagerly waiting for replacement teeth to pop out at 6 to 7 years of age....
The baby in question here in barely a month and a half old! Question of teeth is not arising yet. It is not recommended to give water to a baby that age. Mother's feeds are sufficient.

Last edited by Geo_Ipe : 14th July 2013 at 19:11. Reason: Grammar
Old 14th July 2013, 21:31   #812
BHPian

Quote:
'Gastro-Esophageal Reflux'

2. After feeding, to keep the baby in the up-right position for at least 15-20 minutes before putting him in his bed.

Thanks!
You could also keep the head end of the baby's bed slightly higher than the leg end by placing soft pillows or folded sheets.
Old 14th July 2013, 22:28   #813
BHPian

I wasn't paying attention to the age (months) of the baby under discussion. My bad.

My son was breast fed till into his second year (1 year +), in line with WHO recommendation. However we were not aware of the need to rinse his mouth after breast feeding sessions. So he grew up with decayed upper incisor teeth. We have had multiple dental consultations. Varying recommendations but fall broadly under two options: wait for decayed teeth to be pushed out by new teeth at age 6 to 7, and surgical extraction. The reason we are waiting is that we were also told that, if extracted surgically, the gums may close in the intervening time, blocking natural eruption of new teeth. He is now 6 years old and we are watching out just a little bit longer.
Old 14th July 2013, 22:56   #814
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
...effect can be seen first hand in my son's case and we are eagerly waiting for replacement teeth to pop out at 6 to 7 years of age.
Quote:
My son was breast fed till into his second year (1 year +)...So he grew up with decayed upper incisor teeth
...if extracted surgically, the gums may close in the intervening time, blocking natural eruption of new teeth. He is now 6 years old and we are watching out just a little bit longer.
Breast milk has far far less cariogenic potential (tendency to cause cavities) than the usual top feed (Farex, Lactogen and such). Also, the baby's teeth don't generally erupt in the first six months of life, so the question of caries does not arise.

I presume your son has what is known as rampant caries or nursing bottle caries. Your dentist has advised you rightly, in that it's best not to extract the milk teeth too early. However, you should get the dentist to check with x-rays whether the milk teeth have periapical radiolucencies (granulomas/cysts) developing, and / or whether root resorption has already begun due to the permanent teeth starting to erupt. In either situation, it would be more preferable to extract the milk teeth before the permanent teeth make an appearance in the mouth on their own.
Old 15th July 2013, 01:36   #815
BHPian

Thank you all for the pointers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo_Ipe View Post
The third point can be omitted. If the baby is 'burped' adequately, there is a next to nil chance of aspirations. The baby is going to be be very uncomfortable as he/she doesn't have enough strength yet to make himself/herself comfortable in the prone position.

And do make sure point 1 is followed, especially in the middle of the night when everyone is sleepy!
Yeah. Only when he is in a very deep sleep, he continues to be in the tummy-down position. If not a very deep sleep, he wakes up the moment we put him in that position and starts crying. It feel so bad to wake up a sleeping baby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Blue View Post
You could also keep the head end of the baby's bed slightly higher than the leg end by placing soft pillows or folded sheets.
We have started doing that also now - keeping an folded old cotton saree. Thanks for the suggestion though.

I really hope and pray that all these efforts pay off. The doc has told that we will have to see the improvement in 15-20 days and if not, we will have to start medications. :(
Old 23rd July 2013, 11:47   #816
BHPian

Slightly OT, could not find any other relevent thread.

Minutes back got to know that my wife is pregnant. God!!! we are very happy.

This will be our first baby and a brand new experinece . Can someone suggest a good Prenatal/Lamaze classes near Arekere, Bannerghatta Road. I am looking for weekend class and preferrably within 5 to 10km, as moving around on roads at this stage may not be a good idea.

Last edited by kadurRacer : 23rd July 2013 at 11:49.
Old 23rd July 2013, 17:38   #817
Senior - BHPian

Hi Folks,

Has anyone attended this program?

http://www.ssy-pi.com/isp/
http://infant-ssy-program.blogspot.i...e-details.html

If yes, could you please share your feedback about it?

Cheers,
Vikram
Old 23rd July 2013, 19:05   #818
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey Dads/Moms, this is the first time I am posting in this thread as I recently got the 'dad' promotion. We are blessed with a baby boy (30-May) - our first one.

Now, during our routine checkup with the pediatrician, we were told that the baby has this 'Gastro-Esophageal Reflux' issue by which the milk he is taking in, spills over from the food-pipe and enters the wind-pipe. The doc has suggested that

The first two points are kind-of doable and we have been taking care of them now. The 3rd point - to put the baby in tummy-down position in bed - makes the baby cry a lot as he is not much comfortable. Only when he is in deep sleep, we are able to do this.

Have any of you encountered this issue for your kids and if so, what were the steps that you took to reduce this. Any information regarding this would be very much beneficial.

Thanks!
you may have already google burping videos, but the simple thing to do is gently (but heavy) tap baby's back while upright and wait for him to burp once or twice, before laying him down. We kept Mylicon for emergencies, may be gave it to my kids a couple times in their whole life. but it helps break the bubble and release gas after feeding.

http://www.mylicon.com/
Old 24th July 2013, 14:39   #819
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadurRacer View Post
Slightly OT, could not find any other relevent thread.

Minutes back got to know that my wife is pregnant. God!!! we are very happy.

This will be our first baby and a brand new experinece . Can someone suggest a good Prenatal/Lamaze classes near Arekere, Bannerghatta Road. I am looking for weekend class and preferrably within 5 to 10km, as moving around on roads at this stage may not be a good idea.
Congrats mate!! My wife attended Lamaze classes at Fortis, Bannerghetta Road in 2009 (was Workhardt then). Quite a few Moms-to-be visit this place and classes were good. No issues for Fathers-to-be with Parking / waiting in the car too. The canteen in the hospital was well-appointed too and I had no issues with this place during my wife's pregnancy. We attended there as our Gynecologist too was from Workhardt. It has been more than a couple of years now since I visited this hospital (relocation, etc...). I suppose they still maintain the same-old-standards. Worth giving a try Good Luck and happy parenting!!

Note: I am in no way related to this hospital; this is purely my own experience. Sharing this info only for the benefit of our Forum members.

Cheers!!
M
Old 24th July 2013, 15:58   #820
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Hi Folks,

Has anyone attended this program?

http://www.ssy-pi.com/isp/
http://infant-ssy-program.blogspot.i...e-details.html

If yes, could you please share your feedback about it?

Cheers,
Vikram
Looks very interesting Vikram. Are you going there?
Old 13th August 2013, 16:54   #821
BHPian

My Son will turn 2 this November. Recent past, we have seen a adamant behavior in him. Like, he wants the phone to play with. When denied, he cries a lot, rolling on the floor, hard kneeling down and what not.
As well as, he likes to be outside, be it sunshine/rain, day/night. When his mom brings him back to home, he doesn't like and starts crying. No way we are able to control him. He even cries for continuous 10-15 minutes. After which we distract him and he is back to normal.
Now what are all my options here to stop this kind of behavior? Or is this normal at his age?
Old 13th August 2013, 18:53   #822
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
My Son will turn 2 this November. Recent past, we have seen a adamant behavior in him. Like, he wants the phone to play with. When denied, he cries a lot, rolling on the floor, hard kneeling down and what not.
As well as, he likes to be outside, be it sunshine/rain, day/night. When his mom brings him back to home, he doesn't like and starts crying. No way we are able to control him. He even cries for continuous 10-15 minutes. After which we distract him and he is back to normal.
Now what are all my options here to stop this kind of behavior? Or is this normal at his age?
I guess its quite normal for this age. And he is soon getting into the terrible 2

Don't wait for him to cry for 10-15 mins. You can try diverting his attention to something he likes, and he should be fine.
Old 14th August 2013, 10:26   #823
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
I guess its quite normal for this age. And he is soon getting into the terrible 2

Don't wait for him to cry for 10-15 mins. You can try diverting his attention to something he likes, and he should be fine.
We are not able to divert him at all for the first 5-10 minutes. Only way we can do this is, to give him the things for which he is crying for. We can do this, but then his mind will fix, that if he cries, he can get the things done.

Glad to know that this is very normal at this age. I too sensed the same.

But shocked against your quote "And he is soon getting into the terrible 2"

Time to gear up I believe.
Old 17th November 2013, 22:23   #824
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

For a 10 days old Baby Girl, in case the mother's milk is not enough, is it safe to give Lactogen? And normally what quantity of Lactogen.

I understand it depends how hungry the baby is, so if the the baby is empty stomach, then how much ML of Lactogen is fine?
Old 17th November 2013, 22:28   #825
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karthik1100 View Post
For a 10 days old Baby Girl, in case the mother's milk is not enough, is it safe to give Lactogen? And normally what quantity of Lactogen.
Yes, it is. Though NAN is a better product than Lactogen.

You just need to be careful that the bottle / spoon is well sterilised.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks