Team-BHP Support

Re: Parenthood: Sharing the joy, precious moments, learnings and experiences

How do you infer that its not adequate?
Old 17th November 2013, 22:34   #827
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karthik1100 View Post
For a 10 days old Baby Girl, in case the mother's milk is not enough, is it safe to give Lactogen? And normally what quantity of Lactogen.

I understand it depends how hungry the baby is, so if the the baby is empty stomach, then how much ML of Lactogen is fine?
Hey our baby girl is 13 days old today

We are giving both mother's milk and Lactogen, as she was not having enough milk. Although trying best to give mother's milk as much, still on an average she is having lactogen (NAN) two times in 24 hours period. Around 30 ml boiled water (lukewarm) + 1 spoon.
Old 18th November 2013, 07:59   #828
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Yes, it is. Though NAN is a better product than Lactogen.

You just need to be careful that the bottle / spoon is well sterilised.
Yes, sterilizing them, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
How do you infer that its not adequate?
While there is actually no issue with the quantity of milk, the mother has hurt her nipples due to wrong feeding position and we want some time for it to heal. So also using the Medela milk extracting machine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Hey our baby girl is 13 days old today

We are giving both mother's milk and Lactogen, as she was not having enough milk. Although trying best to give mother's milk as much, still on an average she is having lactogen (NAN) two times in 24 hours period. Around 30 ml boiled water (lukewarm) + 1 spoon.
Congrats to you!

We too are feeding just 30 ml once daily.
Old 18th November 2013, 12:54   #829
Team-BHP Support

All the best to the new parents.

Quote:
While there is actually no issue with the quantity of milk, the mother has hurt her nipples due to wrong feeding position and we want some time for it to heal. So also using the Medela milk extracting machine.

Just take care that the mother continues feeding. The milk may dry up if feeding is not consistently done.

Also don't overdo the supplements. If baby develops a strong liking for it then there is a chance of breastmilk rejection.
Old 18th November 2013, 13:26   #830
Senior - BHPian

I am a father of a 5 months old, who has been on Lactogen feed since birth.

Upon his birth the mother's milk was not sufficient. Hence he was on mother's milk + lactogen supplement for ~1.5 months. He used to feed on mother's milk for about 30 mins, post which we used to give him 30ml Lactogen. The first 30mins of mother's feed was very tiresome for the baby. So the lactogen 30ml was accepted very well by the baby and he used to fall asleep immediately, once his tummy was full. We tried with pump and observed that, one feed of mother's milk was coming around 20ml. So we had to resort to Lactogen to fulfil the complete feed.

My wife tried Lactare tablets and then Galact granules powder with milk. But the milk production was very less. So we had to switch to full-time Lactogen from 2 months onwards.

Since then he has been having Lactogen 1 for the entire feed for the day.
The feeding pattern and quantity is explained in the Lactogen box itself, which has also been confirmed as correct by the paediatrician.

The only difference you would find between mother's milk and Lactogen is the type of stool that the kid does.
With Lactogen, you would tend to see more of greenish or blackish colour, instead of the usual yellow.
Also, the stool would be more on the semi-liquid side, rather than usual solid. Don't worry about it.

My recommendation - Try Lactare tablets or Galact granules with milk/water.
Milk production should increase. If it doesn't, then supplement with Lactogen, after a mother's feed. Just make sure that the water is thoroughly boiled.

Do consult your baby's paediatrician before starting off with any of the above recommendations.
Old 18th November 2013, 16:32   #831
BHPian

Soumyajit9: Thanks for sharing your experiences, it helps.

As I have read elsewhere, mother's milk is needed to help build the immune system. So, will lactogen also help?
Old 18th November 2013, 16:37   #832
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
As I have read elsewhere, mother's milk is needed to help build the immune system. So, will lactogen also help?
Normally, for the first Six months, the baby should have been exclusively on mother's milk. Not even Water.

I don't think Lactogen is a replacement. At the most, it can be a supplement for the nutrients.
Old 18th November 2013, 16:39   #833
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Soumyajit9: Thanks for sharing your experiences, it helps.

As the entire population on earth says - there is no substitute for mother's milk.
The good-bacterias present helps build the immune system of the child.

But then Lactogen has nutrients (i don't exactly know what all), which also does something similar.

We are not isolated cases of resorting to Lactogen. Many working mothers face same problem. Their children are also fed with Lactogen.
I haven't yet come across a child who has had problems due to Lactogen.

So it is safe for the child and should compensate for mother's milk.

But then, it is worth the effort of taking Galact or Lactare to produce mother's milk. Incase not, then definitely Lactogen. We don't have any other choices, do we ?
Old 20th November 2013, 10:06   #834
BHPian

Another question.

How many hours generally do new born babies sleep?

I ask this as my two weeks old daughter stays awake almost whole night, most of the time crying, but crying stops once feeding starts. Once she starts drinking milk, 10 mins later she falls asleep and if tried to put her on bed, she wakes up and starts crying, again!
Old 20th November 2013, 10:12   #835
BHPian

Crying is a sign of discomfort. Check whether she's comfortable on the bed, with her clothes, is she too warm or too cold, has she soiled her clothes, is the wrap too tight or too loose, etc. Two weeks is too early to form a sleeping habit.
Old 20th November 2013, 10:30   #836
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalpeshc View Post
Crying is a sign of discomfort. Check whether she's comfortable on the bed, with her clothes, is she too warm or too cold, has she soiled her clothes, is the wrap too tight or too loose, etc. Two weeks is too early to form a sleeping habit.
Noted.

While she is crying, if she keeps her hand in mouth, or if we just keep her hand in mouth, she immediately stops crying. So we guessed that she is just hungry and nothing else. And she never refuses to accept the feed while crying.
Old 20th November 2013, 10:46   #837
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Noted.

While she is crying, if she keeps her hand in mouth, or if we just keep her hand in mouth, she immediately stops crying. So we guessed that she is just hungry and nothing else. And she never refuses to accept the feed while crying.
Is she passing stools and urine regularly? Do you burp her after every feed? Try holding her upright for at least 15 mins [even if she burps before 15 mins] after feeding to avoid gases and ensure that she doesn't bring up the milk again. These are also some probable causes of discomfort for babies.

Cheers,
Vikram
Old 20th November 2013, 11:15   #838
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Another question.

How many hours generally do new born babies sleep?

I ask this as my two weeks old daughter stays awake almost whole night, most of the time crying, but crying stops once feeding starts. Once she starts drinking milk, 10 mins later she falls asleep and if tried to put her on bed, she wakes up and starts crying, again!
Congratulations Karthik for the new arrival I have seen similar behavior of my son ever since he is born. He is now 10 months old but still does not sleep well! We have never seen him sleeping continuously for more than 4 hours. During day, ever since he was born, he sleeps only for 30 minutes max in a stretch and 1-2 times only. The habit continues still now. But the thing we have figured out is - its in no way less sleep for him. His development and activities etc are very good. Its just that he does not let us and himself sleep for good 3-4 hours! There wasn't much to bother about this until he became six months old. There was a need to feed him every two hours or so. Now since the duration between successive feeding (external food plus mother's milk) has increased, his habits have not changed.

Babies when sleepy, will sleep regardless of where and how! And when they need a change or feel hungry/ discomfort, they cry - the only language they know so far!

When you state that your daughter wakes up as soon as you put her on bed, that is because she notices the difference in warmth between a bed and your body. Its still too early for her to get adjusted to the real world outside mother's womb. But don't worry, just continue doing so - don't hold her on your lap for too long or throughout day and night unless there is extreme discomfort to her. The amount of time you hold her on your lap, should slowly decrease as time passes.
Old 20th November 2013, 11:24   #839
Team-BHP Support

@Karthik1100:

Try http://www.babycenter.com/2_how-to-s...by_10347122.bc

It helps calm the baby and lets them sleep comfortably.
Works with my son because I learnt my lesson with first born. Explained below...

Quote:
Originally Posted by abirnale View Post

The amount of time you hold her on your lap, should slowly decrease as time passes.
NO WAY!

I did this with my daughter. Now almost 3 years later she sits on my head and makes me run around.
Old 20th November 2013, 11:31   #840
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Is she passing stools and urine regularly? Do you burp her after every feed? Try holding her upright for at least 15 mins [even if she burps before 15 mins] after feeding to avoid gases and ensure that she doesn't bring up the milk again. These are also some probable causes of discomfort for babies.

Cheers,
Vikram
Vikram,

Stool and urine - Normal.
Burping is done regularly after each feed. Also, my MIL does carry the baby for sometime in upright position.

The baby doesn't cry with high pitch, like it happens when in pain. From today I have advised my wife to ensure she gets full stomach feed. Also one or two times a day with Lactogen 50ml feed. Hope this will make her sleep for longer duration.

During birth on 6th Nov, she weighed 3.22kgs. After three days during discharge she weighed 3kgs. A week later her weight was 2.9kgs. 10 days of birth, she weighed 2.840kgs. This weekend will take her to doc again for routine checkup, hope her weight has increased!

Btw, we are consulting at Fortis - Bannergatta road. Doctors are Mangala Ramchandra and Nagesh, for the mother and child respectively.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abirnale View Post
Congratulations Karthik for the new arrival I have seen similar behavior of my son ever since he is born. He is now 10 months old but still does not sleep well!
Thanks Avinash! Your points are noted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
@Karthik1100:

Try http://www.babycenter.com/2_how-to-s...by_10347122.bc

It helps calm the baby and lets them sleep comfortably.
Works with my son because I learnt my lesson with first born. Explained below...
Will show this video to my wife, hope the baby stays calm!

Last edited by Karthik1100 : 20th November 2013 at 11:39.

Most Viewed