Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 10th July 2008, 18:31   #1
Senior - BHPian

Parenthood: Sharing the joy, precious moments, learnings and experiences

This thread is to share the joy, precious moments, learnings and experiences with parenthood.

A happiness shared is a doubled one.Also the learnings and experiences shared will definitely help people like me who have got promoted recently.

My son
I have a one and a half year baby boy and I am enjoying it a lot. It is a delight just to watch him play or smile.

He Likes
My son hates to be indoors and wants to go out all the time. His favourite place in the house is balcony where he can watch outdoor activity and attract pedestrians on the road by shouting .

I take him out for a stroll once I reach home and he looks forward to it everyday.

He loves cars . A favourite past time other than travelling is to sit in my lap and look at Team-BHP galleries or car magazines. He keeps shouting CAR CAR.
I have started playing cricket with him using a small cricket bat and he enjoys it a lot.

Riding his small bicycle inside house. He is fast and does not show any respect to poor pedestrians in the family.

He Dislikes
He just hate toilet and any activity that can be done inside toilet.

Eating

Changing Dress

Lessons I want to share:
Set a good example (Very Important): He just imitates our speech and behaviour. If we set a good example, he will definitely a good individual.

Do not be stingy in showing love: They want our time, care and love more than anything else. Toys can never replace the time we can share with them.

Encourage him to do good things. A smile/ clap when he does something good (taking newspaper from outside, switching off tv when asked for etc) gives encouragement to do it again.

Last edited by PatienceWins : 10th July 2008 at 18:32.
PatienceWins is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th July 2008, 18:50   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post

Lessons I want to share:
Set a good example (Very Important): He just imitates our speech and behaviour. If we set a good example, he will definitely a good individual.
I will add more later, but here is a lesson from one of my friends. his son started speaking a little late, around 3 years. little did he realize that it was not so with his listening .

in the car with another family he spoke his first words "W T F" with full form and an appropriate tone to complete it, at an appropriate moment where probably he had seen his dad doing the same.

lesson learnt, don't underestimate their listening and retaining capabilities.
vivekiny2k is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th July 2008, 23:22   #3
Senior - BHPian

Parenthood is so wonderful, it needs to be experienced to know what it is. Adds a whole new dimension to one's life. And brings so much happiness.

I have an 8 month old son, who is away from me and it hurts. My favorite past time now is the watch small video clips of his antics, it amazes me to watch him grow up, he learns new tricks every day.

Need to set an example when he grows up, I have a very short fuse and the W T F scenario described earlier can very well happen in my case as well, if I am not careful.
Old 11th July 2008, 10:11   #4
Senior - BHPian

Kuttapan, I can very well understand your situation. I could not wait to come back home when I used to go abroad.

It is a delight to just watch them. It is going to be better after 1 year. Enjoy!!
Old 11th July 2008, 11:45   #5
BHPian

Patience - ditto is the case here with my son. He is 2 yrs old and likes to go out. I used to take him for a spin. If I get late then it is wifie's job. He also hates to be indoor and wanna play outside. He also hates dress change and things inside toilet . Cars are a weakness and always carry a couple of toy cars with him (even if we go out). Like what you said, sit on my lap and shouts 'ka' 'ka' when he see pics of cars in tbhp. His favourite movie is the old 'Gone in 60 seconds' and its long car chase.

Yes, I enjoy every moment with him. Nice thread you started, hope we can share many things here which will be helpful for good parenting.

Last edited by redfire : 11th July 2008 at 12:02.
Old 11th July 2008, 12:19   #6
BHPian

parenthood is a joy. it has it pain-in-*** times too

my 3 1/2 year old guy has been naughty from day 1. There have been times when we were waiting for him to talk, to hoping he closes his mouth for a few minutes these days. All said we love his naughtiness. I get a scolding from my wife for spoiling him. But this is the age when you can spoil them.

One thing we learnt as Vivek puts it, be careful with words, they pick it very fast and know the situation to use it too. We have had our share of words used as well, though not that bad.

I have thrown away opportunities to move out of India for him. To me family matters and the joy I see on his face when he meets his grandparents is more important than anything else.

I want him to have an enjoyable childhood and not face the pressures of study life too much. At a higher class, peer pressure will let him decide on that.
Old 11th July 2008, 13:18   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
I will add more later, but here is a lesson from one of my friends. his son started speaking a little late, around 3 years. little did he realize that it was not so with his listening .

in the car with another family he spoke his first words "W T F" with full form and an appropriate tone to complete it, at an appropriate moment where probably he had seen his dad doing the same.

lesson learnt, don't underestimate their listening and retaining capabilities.

Same here with my Son whose 3 + now. Whenever I use the word "s***" in the car, he started repeating, thereby forcing me to stop using any offensive word before him.

He loves books a lot. I used to devote atleast 1-2 hrs when he was 1 year old, with all the books of animals, pets, birds, vehicles etc. Now he gets the books for himself. Whenever we enter a bookstall, he will take a comfortable chair for himself, browse all the books and then only we can get out of that shop. Mind you , we need to buy one book for him per trip

Kiddies are always naughty, but we still love them. More later

Good thread. Thanks for starting it
Old 11th July 2008, 13:34   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
My daughter (now 5 years old) also spoke late, at about 2.5 years. And since I stammer, we were very worried and consulted umpteen pediatricians and speech-therapists. But once she started speaking, she never stopped and turned out to be a biiiiiiiig chatter-box.

\N
Old 11th July 2008, 13:46   #9
Team-BHP Support

How much is the financial penalty of having a kid.
Any rough estimates on increase in monthly household expenditure?
I am not counting schooling etc., but diapers/food/ blah blah
Old 11th July 2008, 13:52   #10
BHPian

finance with the kids aint too much except towards diapers. Food is not much. Its usually doctors who take the honour of extracting the money. But I have not worried or thought twice on spending for the family.

I would say before schooling years, around 4-5 K a month. Once schooling years starts, I am sure it will climb faster than inflation with their teen years denting you.
Old 11th July 2008, 13:58   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post

Tsk, Forget everything and go for it, if you havent

I don't foresee any expenditure, even for the docs, which shall be in a span of three months once visit. Diapers, kiddies clothes, toys , very less till they start demanding, at around 3 + years
Old 11th July 2008, 16:53   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambuhere1 View Post
Tsk, Forget everything and go for it, if you havent
I second you here. Tsk, the joy of parenthood can just not be explained at all.

My 3 year old Smriti just wants me to be creative all the time. Believe me, I have to come up with stories on dustbin, a/c, chocolate, etc at 11:30 in the night. If I do not tell her stories that she demands, my whole neighbourhood will curse the hell out of me.

"Appa, dustbin kate helu" (Dad, tell me the story of a dustbin). What on the earth is the story of a dustbin? After fighting with pointers and structures the whole day, I will have to fight to conjure up a story on a god-forsaken dustbin!

And another thing to note is that they can play a perfect con job. One fine day on a weekend, I hear a distant "trin" "trin". I just put that sound into the background and never think about it again. But, up comes my daughter and she suddenly finds me very lovable. She tries to hug my mighty frame unsuccessfully and kisses me profusely. She then smiles and tells me with her pleading little eyes, "Appa ice cream kodisu" (Dad, buy me an ice cream). Her lovely dad can just not refuse her an ice cream at all, notwithstanding her running nose.
Old 11th July 2008, 17:24   #13
BHPian

I am Loving this thread, thanks Patiencewins
Old 11th July 2008, 17:33   #14
BHPian

The toughest part is to meet the expectations of kids about yourself. My little one calls me "my superman papa" and believes it ;-)

She is very fond of dancing and wants to practice bollywood dance numbers with me, and I always turn out to be grossly inadequate :-((

There are just too many precious moments of being a parent to list here. But the most memorable one is when I held her first time in my hands. I had had an accident 4 days before she was born and was admitted in another hospital. My mom and bro brought her to me when she was just 2-3 hours old, so very small. Ah... it was an incredible feeling, words can't describe it.

\N
Old 11th July 2008, 17:45   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
when I was a bachelor, My monthly expenditure was Rs 3500( In year 2000, stayed with friends).
Got married in 2002, my expenditure shot up to Rs 14000 pm and in 2004 my expense went to 25K pm and now its some where around 30-35Kpm with one kid who is going to nursery.

Patiencewins,
really a nice thread, I am sure it will touch many of us emotionally.

Last edited by greatDrive : 11th July 2008 at 17:47.
greatDrive is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed