Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th July 2008, 04:02   #1
BHPian

Unusual interests/hobbies

Many of BHPians here share a lot of common interests like driving (of course!), traveling, photography, digital art amongst a few others.

It would be fun to know if anyone has any unusual hobby and how easy/difficult it is to pursue any such hobbies.

Let me start, I used to collect stamps and coins of different countries when I was in High School. I had amassed quite a decent collection, then I left for US for education, so haven't had time to look at it after that.

Here in US, I have collected quarters bearing symbols of different US states. Have about 45 of them till now, with 5 more states to go.
Hope to complete 50 pretty soon

Anyone else?
Old 11th July 2008, 09:06   #2
BHPian

When I was in US, i used to do the same as you collecting coins, and I was successful to get all fifty states on my hand.

In here, I collect comics of Asterix, A great fan of it.
Old 11th July 2008, 15:30   #3
Senior - BHPian

I have a US 2$ bill with me. Though there are around 1 Billion Dollars worth of 2 dollar bills in circulation, not many Americans have seen it and its not generally found in circulation !!

I collect comics as well. Asterix, Tintin and the old Indrajal comics of Phantom/Mandrake etc.

I have a lot of mugs from different places. Disney, Universal studios, London, etc....
Old 11th July 2008, 16:51   #4
Senior - BHPian

Well I have all the Asterix and Tintin comics collecting since 80's (when i got them)
Oh and try to collect charlie brown and Calvin too.
I used to be a parasailing instructor for a few years (started in 93 or 94) before my dad chucking me out of the house to get a "JOB"

Last edited by sammyboy : 11th July 2008 at 16:53.
Old 11th July 2008, 23:25   #5
BHPian

Hi guys ,

I collect car magazines..
The first mag i bought was OVERDRIVE in 1999..
The oldest magazine in my collection is the OCT 2002 issue of OVERDRIVE..

My collection till date :

Unusual interests/hobbies-03072008448.jpg
Unusual interests/hobbies-03072008450.jpg
Unusual interests/hobbies-03072008449.jpg
Old 12th July 2008, 08:07   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
abhijitaparadh : Let me start, I used to collect stamps and coins of different countries when I was in High School.
@Abhijit, Did you know that Philately & Numismatology are the amongst the most popular hobbies the world over ?

The quarters you mentioned are kind of commemorative, and currently used ones.
Old 12th July 2008, 09:20   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhijitaparadh View Post

Here in US, I have collected quarters bearing symbols of different US states. Have about 45 of them till now, with 5 more states to go.
Hope to complete 50 pretty soon

Anyone else?
I've got all 50 of them
Old 12th November 2008, 16:58   #8
manukale

Calligraphy!! my hobby

I like to write in various different strokes - Calligraphy. Whenever I find time I take out my Calligraphy Pen set & the writting pad, and start drawing letters (actually - calligraphy is an art of "drawing" letters).

Another hobbies are playing Synthesizer, Maps reading, and if anybody is ready to play - playing Chess (most of my colleagues don't play with me as they find my moves very unpredictable & most of the times they lose due to wrong calculations!! and my wife don;t play Chess. so need company!!)

Also like to listen to old Hindi classics & Ghazals (of Kishor, Rafi, Mukesh, Hemant Kumar, Manna Dey, Lata, Asha, Mehdi Hassan, Ghulam Ali, ..), classical instrumental, etc.

Old 12th November 2008, 19:37   #9
BHPian

I kill time in my classroom making abstract designs. I somehow love shading and "filling things up". It all began in my 12th. I used to have exams almost daily and sometimes when I went unprepared, I used to sit idle. Just to kill time, I used to tarken all the loops in the alphabets. for example, "a","b","d","e","o" have loops ("l","i","m","n" domt have loops). So i black them out. And soon after I began to make crazy sketches like some tribal art or a tribal tattoo. I prefer calling it as an abstract drawing as its just sketched under wild imagination and the subject of the image keeps changing as I keep drawing from time to time. But the final results are always spectacular

PS : I hope I made some sense. Its pretty hard to explain
Old 12th November 2008, 20:45   #10
Team-BHP Support

If we are discussing regular hobbies, some members have already put their inputs here
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...hat-yours.html
Old 12th November 2008, 20:48   #11
Senior - BHPian

When i was little, collecting first day envolopes was on top of my hobby list and these days I like to collect fridge magnets from various cities in the world. I have about 150 of them at the moment.
BTW anyone going to Japan? :P
Old 12th November 2008, 21:00   #12
Senior - BHPian

I collect Soils of India and Waters of India.

Samples:
- Kurukshetra, Gita Upadesh stal
- Brindavan, Madhuvan
- Baba Buddangiri, first coffee soil of India
- Jallianwala Bagh
- Dhanushkodi, near Rameswaram
- and so on....soils from all places I visit

Waters:
- Golden Temple Tank, Amritsar
- Yamunotri at source
- Bhageerathi at source
- Beas at source, from melting snows
- and so on..

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibhu_f430 View Post
Hi guys ,

I collect car magazines..
The first mag i bought was OVERDRIVE in 1999..
The oldest magazine in my collection is the OCT 2002 issue of OVERDRIVE..
I retain all magazines I buy, and I have Business Indias dating back to the late 70s, or the Illustrated Weekly of India, or almost all the copies of the foremost auto journal Indian Auto Journal

Last edited by aah78 : 12th November 2008 at 23:23. Reason: Posts merged
Old 13th November 2008, 14:10   #13
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Not sure if this counts as an unusual interest within a petrolhead community, but I just love collecting automotive memorabilia!! A luxo watch with a tyre of a band, Ferrari Pens, a MotoGP ashtray, a Ferrari ashtray, a harley jacket + tshirt, F1 caps, car branded Zippo lighters, a tyre of a paper-weight, a Jeep alarm, a tyre with a clock in between.....the list just goes on. If I see any automotive souvenirs, can't help but pick it up

I have my eyes set on a tyre-based coffee table. Wot?
Attached Thumbnails
Unusual interests/hobbies-winstoncupcoffeetable.jpg  

Old 13th November 2008, 14:38   #14
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
I collect Soils of India and Waters of India.
This easily is the most unusual of all interests/hobbies I ever heard of. Very interesting HVK.

Last edited by DKG : 13th November 2008 at 14:39.
Old 13th November 2008, 14:45   #15
BANNED

Hobbies.

I started with collecting TINTIN CD's back in 2000 and now i have the complete 29 CD's.

I collect any VW Books from all over.

Have almost 15 model VW Beetles at home.

Unsual Interests:

Though i have my day job, i love restoration of automobiles, maybe old or new, just love putting it back together "original". All without charging a penny as profit though.

So far, i've Restored.
1) My VW Beetle 1967
2) My M-800 1997
3) My Dads Bajaj Priya 1984
4) My Granpas Luna 1984
5) My Collegues M-800 1990
6) My Cousins Premier President 1979
7) My Friends VW Beetle 1966
8) My neighbours Willys Jeep-1964

Currently helping my Friend restore his Mercedes 190D and ofcourse my VW Microbus 1971. Few odd jobs for few of my friends Cars. May be some more to come in the near future.

Though these kinds of unusual interest jobs are thankless and non profitable, the pleasure in putting something back to-gether is more than you would ask for.

My other unsusual interest is to keep pestering friends or relatives to keep their cars uptodate and neat, reminding them of regular services and usage, though they would not want to do it.

Last edited by PAVAN KADAM : 13th November 2008 at 14:49.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks