Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st October 2014, 10:52   #1831
Senior - BHPian

Re: The "Jobs available in my organisation" thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by dev_kudle View Post
Slightly OT, but this is where I turn for suggestions from experts. Presently the question in my mind is:
Is there a scope for PMO in IT?? I'm done with my Prince2 certification & at present getting an opportunity as PMO. Should I take it or wait for Project Manager / Program Manager role altogether??
Little background: Total 9 years of hardcore Network & Telecom domain experience Out of which last 3 years were in 40% project management.
Will PMO experience will benefit me?? or should I let go of this PMO offer?
Looking forward to expert comments who can guide me.
Regards.
Apologies for the people who are doing PMO / Centralized QA kind of jobs I mean no offence but the below response is the general picture.

It Depends on your choice ,

To some PMO job is most powerful job in the organization a relatively junior level person with 7-8 years exp can lord around over senior managers with 18-20 years experience.
How ever for others it is dead-end good for nothing job.

Do you love to do audits , run behind people for submitting plans , create milestones and sending reminder mails to them to close milestones and generally being on fault finding missions.

Added complexity is that no PM /PL who has a deliverable to meet thinks that PMO is adding any kind of value but wants to feed the data to them just to keep the system happy jowever you will not find this view from any PM officially because system is designed in such a way that any criticism reflects badly on the PM

Last edited by amitk26 : 31st October 2014 at 10:53.
Old 31st October 2014, 10:56   #1832
BHPian

Anyone knows how to approach job search if one is working in USA. I am not but just asking. Say you are in USA through an Indian company (sent onsite) and want to change job to your preferred location (city), then how to go about searching for job while sitting in USA ?
I did some basic search and found that monster and naukri don't really work well in such cases, probably because the candidate is not located in India.
One way is to return back from onsite and start a job search but then the notice period one has to serve is as per the company policy in India, while in USA, one can be released from a job in a week if required.
Old 31st October 2014, 11:08   #1833
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raksrules View Post
Anyone knows how to approach job search if one is working in USA. I , while in USA, one can be released from a job in a week if required.
Monster.com and linkedin.com are the good way to start job search in US.
Its all about networking. Get help from your friends working in US or friends of friends. Try to get referred in companies. That adds value to your resume. One more way is to get help from consulting companies in US who sponsor H1 transfer but this is little risky because you are on payrolls of consulting company and working for some third party. They will ususally ask you to sign contract and pay for H1 transfer (even though it is illegal)
Old 31st October 2014, 11:34   #1834
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by athanedar View Post
Monster.com and linkedin.com are the good way to start job search in US.
Its all about networking. Get help from your friends working in US or friends of friends. Try to get referred in companies. That adds value to your resume. One more way is to get help from consulting companies in US who sponsor H1 transfer but this is little risky because you are on payrolls of consulting company and working for some third party. They will ususally ask you to sign contract and pay for H1 transfer (even though it is illegal)

I think I missed some very important details there. Sorry for that.
I meant that say I am in USA and want to search job in India as I plan to quit my existing company (while being in USA on onsite) and return back to India and get a job in new company.
Old 31st October 2014, 20:09   #1835
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
To some PMO job is most powerful job in the organization a relatively junior level person with 7-8 years exp can lord around over senior managers with 18-20 years experience.
How ever for others it is dead-end good for nothing job.
Hello amitk26,

Thanks for your inputs. I think I will let it pass as I guess, this track will lead to 'Service Delivery' & I'm more interested in Technical Project Management track. You comments helped.
BR,
//Dev
Old 31st October 2014, 20:34   #1836
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think I missed some very important details there. Sorry for that.
I meant that say I am in USA and want to search job in India as I plan to quit my existing company (while being in USA on onsite) and return back to India and get a job in new company.
Why do you feel that the search through sites like Naurkri and Monster won't work? The first form of communication is through email and once you are shortlisted, you can attend interviews over phone and skype. It might be difficult and you would need an understanding Consultant/HR/Company but it certainly doable.

Another option is to find an American company that has offices in the Indian city you are interested in and try to apply for their Indian office. A couple of people interviewed with our US office for a job at our Bangalore office. But they came through referrals and were for senior posts.
Old 31st October 2014, 23:22   #1837
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post

Would be tough to get Business Analyst role as a fresher. A possible career path is:

1. Join QA team
2. Stick to a specific Industry within IT (E.g. : Manufacturing / Medical / Corporate Finance / IB / Banking /...)
3. Build domain knowledge and then do a lateral move to Business Analyst

This usually takes 2 - 3 years.

For client's point of view, what value can you add as business analyst just out of collage? Billing rate of BA is much higher then a junior developer. Search for billing rates and salaries of these profiles.
Yes, I agree. Most big companies will not hire a fresher as a Business Analyst. But there are new companies say less than 10 year old dealing with particular domain like Mobile App Development do have BA openings who consider freshers.

In fact I even got placed as a BA in one of such companies located in Gurgaon with pay package which any B.Tech/MCA freshers from most colleges/Universities excluding IIT and similar institutes may get. But I had to decline the job because of very strict bond rules which included submission of a post dated cheque of Rs. 1.5 lacs as bond amount including my original 10th class certificate for a period of 2.5 years(including probation period). And that was not OK for me.

Some companies often ask MBA degree but pursuing a Post grad in computer science and having invested nearly six years in college till now, I don't think going ahead with further studies will do any good. I also posted about this in career advice thread and got good suggestions from experienced members.

After that I couldn't make into good companies like Infosys/TCS which came to campus for development positions and other companies are offering too low which actually just don't motivate to do a job anyways.

So I am looking to start as a BA right from the beginning. What you think about starting career from an average company instead of big MNC in this domain if they have vacancies available for this profile.

Anyways I will also explore opportunities in QA domain.
Old 2nd November 2014, 17:46   #1838
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
there are new companies say less than 10 year old dealing with particular domain like Mobile App Development do have BA openings who consider freshers.
That seems to be a good opportunity.

Quote:
submission of a post dated cheque of Rs. 1.5 lacs as bond amount including my original 10th class certificate for a period of 2.5 years(including probation period).
2.5 years is excessive. That + such terms create doubts on the intentions of the company.

Quote:
other companies are offering too low which actually just don't motivate to do a job anyways.
Though the pay is low, do take a look at specific company and role. Pay can be leveled in 3 - 4 years.

Quote:
What you think about starting career from an average company instead of big MNC in this domain if they have vacancies available for this profile.
Starting career in a small company is not an issue. These companies teach you a different set of skills. E.g.: You will have exposure to all phases of project (Wooing clients, helping pre-sales, handling clients when things are not going well, getting things done with limited resources).

Having experience in both environments (small company / startup + Large organizations) is a good thing.
Old 5th November 2014, 13:36   #1839
BHPian

Designation- Technical Consultant

Responsibilities:
• Work with client and project manager/ Business Architect to design product integration.
• Create host system interfaces during implementation. Build data bridges and ETL design for data from legacy systems to our system.
• Integrate, test, and support application to existing client systems – primarily using Informatica, PL-SQL, java and general systems programming skills.

Requirements:
• 1-2 years’ experience as a technical /integration software consultant.
• Must demonstrate patience, a sense of urgency, high energy and a general positive demeanor, along with great communication skills (both written and verbal).
• 1 year of customer interaction / problem solving experience
• 1 year experience on integration projects
• 1 year of experience in developing and troubleshooting stored procedures and SQL on Oracle / SQL Server
• 1 year of experience in developing and troubleshooting Java project
• Experience on ETL tools, specifically Informatica is a plus
• Exposure in implementing / deploying enterprise software is a plus
• Excellent written and spoken communication skills
Education- BE from a reputed college

Interested folks can PM me for more details.
Job Location: Gurgaon
Old 5th November 2014, 21:00   #1840
Senior - BHPian

One of my friend working in crypto security field for a chip manufacturer is looking for openings in Bangalore.

Kindly PM me if there are any openings in your organization.
Old 7th November 2014, 18:51   #1841
BHPian

All those interested in coding can check this out:https://www.zomato.com/trialweek
Old 7th November 2014, 22:47   #1842
BHPian

Multiple job positions in my company, based out of Bangalore.

Development & Testing Openings
Domain: Telecom (EMS, NMS, Networking)
Experience: 4 to 10 years
Profiles: Mobility, Java, Testing

PM me for more info.
Old 8th November 2014, 04:14   #1843
BHPian

Leading India based Outsourcing company.

Looking for Experienced (4-7) years people in Java/J2EE tech for California, USA based positions. H1, L2, EAD - all ok. There are 4 positions.

Corresponding offshore based positions are also required. experience level of 3-9 years.

Since these are direct positions for me, can assure quick processing in case selected.

pl PM for details or if you wish to talk in more details.
Old 8th November 2014, 04:18   #1844
BHPian

Quote:
Anyone knows how to approach job search if one is working in USA. I am not but just asking. Say you are in USA through an Indian company (sent onsite) and want to change job to your preferred location (city), then how to go about searching for job while sitting in USA ?
I did some basic search and found that monster and naukri don't really work well in such cases, probably because the candidate is not located in India.
One way is to return back from onsite and start a job search but then the notice period one has to serve is as per the company policy in India, while in USA, one can be released from a job in a week if required.
In case you are wish to switch within the US - we can talk if my opportunities can work out. If planning to go back to India, my India unit is looking for right skilled people (in Pune though). If this is what you are looking for pl PM me and we can take this forward.
Old 10th November 2014, 19:02   #1845
Senior - BHPian

Anyone know of openings in ITIL? Like Change, Release or Problem Management profiles? Couple of friends are looking for a change and have around 11 years experience. Any help appreciated.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks