Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 11th July 2008, 19:19   #1
Senior - BHPian

Can afford to buy a bigger car, but cant

As my signature shows, I'd love to own a safari, But every day i drive through the lane to my house, I feel that dream going away from me. The very things I want to reclaim , will end up being taken from me.

It was a narrow lane to begin with, they made a gutter to one of its sides, so reduced the useable area. then they unloaded gravel and sand to one side, and I've got to almost make my car wade through all that gravel and sand to reach home. the slabs the idiots are making are above road level

I feel I'll have to end up trading my indica turbo for a nano CRDi when its launched.

One day I was talking to one of my senior managers who drives around in an alto. Problem is , the road to his house is also JUST wide enough for an alto to go through. and the neighbours gave up even that much land very unwillingly.

So enough of my worries, how many of you can, and want to buy bigger cars , but cant because of reasons beyond your control ?

PS: reasons like family doesn't want a big car etc are not allowed. The reason must be something that's absolutely out of your hands
Old 11th July 2008, 19:35   #2
Senior - BHPian

Ditto here. The widest and longest car that can make it into my house is the Palio. Very narrow lane (just 2 ft wider than a Swift) with a tight 90 degree turn leading to an even narrower lane to which my garage gate opens.

The garage is parallel to the narrow(er) lane, so I have to take a right into the garage when I'm entering the garage. The space inside the garage/driveway is also tight, so I have to go back exactly the way I came in. Grrrrrr...
Old 11th July 2008, 20:04   #3
Senior - BHPian

buy a mini cooper or volvo C-30 if you want to buy something stylish. withe the rising fuel prices, you will thank me later
Old 11th July 2008, 21:05   #4
Senior - BHPian

Take a parking space or garage on the wider roads near your house. Thats the only solution to own.
Old 11th July 2008, 21:11   #5
BHPian

I also want to buy a car, can afford cost of the car and insurance. There are nice wide roads also.

But in Manhattan the day to day parking cost would itself kill me

In the area where I stay it is close to $35 a day with monthly passes available from $450 upwards.

And even after paying such high cost, when and why will I drive it in NYC, given the superb efficiency of underground subways?

So I have to be content on car rentals on weekends as of now.
Old 11th July 2008, 21:21   #6
Senior - BHPian

Wow! Money can't buy a car!
Where is this world going to?

I consider myself fortunate to live in a house on a decently wide street and somehow,this has always been the no.1 priority when I choose properties . Nothing like a wide street.
Old 11th July 2008, 21:53   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post

I consider myself fortunate to live in a house on a decently wide street and somehow,this has always been the no.1 priority when I choose properties . Nothing like a wide street.
I completely agree.

With people parking on roads without any sense, a wide street helps to keep blood pressure low. I always face issues with bikes/ cars parked irresponsibly on my road with decent width.
Old 11th July 2008, 22:40   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
greenhorn :
* ... they made a gutter to one of its sides,
* ... then they unloaded gravel and sand to one side, and I've got to almost make my car wade through all that gravel and sand to reach home.
* the slabs the idiots are making are above road level
Come to think of it : there's not much thinking for you to do. The truck will make short work of these. And you'll get home much more easily.
Old 12th July 2008, 00:40   #9
Senior - BHPian

the gutter means the truck will land its wheels in it :( I barely avoid getting my wheels to fall into them.
another thing I missed was the haphazhard parking of autos , bikes, cars ( including a nearly dead tata estate ) all along the way
Old 12th July 2008, 01:39   #10
Senior - BHPian

I so wanna buy a CR-V and that too a diesel but what holds me back is
My Street though big is not big enough to park it. and i can make it enter my garage, in all length, breadth and height ( considering its longer and wider than the octavia vRs)
and also I cant buy a CRV ictdi because in India Honda Doesnt sell one
Old 12th July 2008, 05:49   #11
Senior - BHPian

Move. Move now before inflation makes it impossible.
Old 12th July 2008, 07:41   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
It was a narrow lane to begin with, they made a gutter to one of its sides, so reduced the useable area. then they unloaded gravel and sand to one side, and I've got to almost make my car wade through all that gravel and sand to reach home. the slabs the idiots are making are above road level
Just Curious.. what did they unload sand and gravel from?? An Autorikshaw??
Old 12th July 2008, 07:43   #13
Senior - BHPian

My dad says that teh current property boom has peaked ,and prices are stagnant. He says I should wait ... ( he timed our last land purchase right , so I think he might be onto something )

Quote:
Just Curious.. what did they unload sand and gravel from?? An Autorikshaw??
yep, The lorry comes only upto the entrance of the lane. from there, one of those three wheeler ape/piaggio lorries shuttles about to bring the sand

Last edited by greenhorn : 12th July 2008 at 07:46.
Old 12th July 2008, 08:23   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post

Well said sir, but you choose properties ..
And you still park one car on the road!

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
yep, The lorry comes only upto the entrance of the lane. from there, one of those three wheeler ape/piaggio lorries shuttles about to bring the sand
Novel way to transport sand eh?
Old 12th July 2008, 11:27   #15
Senior - BHPian

we had to do something similar when we built our house as well..

Most Viewed