Team-BHP - Bangalore,Gear up for more Chaos - 7000 more autos will invade city roads
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Shifting gears (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/)
-   -   Bangalore,Gear up for more Chaos - 7000 more autos will invade city roads (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/42476-bangalore-gear-up-more-chaos-7000-more-autos-will-invade-city-roads-3.html)

Noise Pollution is done deliberately by removing baffle plates from silencers. This gives more mileage and makes auto's run faster than their design speeds, you can see them overtaking even some cars.

If you go to some smaller towns , autos run on kerosene, used motor oil, etc., Exhaust fumes will make you sick.

Bajaj Auto (Pollution King Of India) announced a few years back that they would discontinue 2 stroker's, but it is still being produced.

Heard that Kolkota has banned 2 stroke auto's. Hope it happens everywhere. TVS Auto & Honda had annouced launch of 4 stroke autos, but nothing is heard now a days.

Couldnt find a more appropriate thread for this, but since it is related to autorickshaws i have added it in here.

My friend uses the Bellandur route to reach home on wind tunnel road from work.

He mostly reaches home by around 23:00 but yesterday was delayed at work and reached home only by 1:00.

We meet in the mornings while leaving for work. He narrated the below to me.

While coming back from work at around 00:30, he noticed an autorickshaw gone off the road for 50-60 meters and smashed into a tree. There were some people around who were watching the driver stuck inside. Not touching him or the auto. He was bleeding profusely and was stinking of alcohol.

My friend asked the few folks around to call the hospital or police. None of them wanted to do it and instead asked him to call.

Now my friend dosent think twice before helping out anyone in need. But he thought over it and just got into his car and drove home.

I was surprised to know he did that and asked him why of all people, he acted in such a manner.

He replied because it was an auto driver.

I was even more stunned and looking at me he said even you keep cursing these guys what would you have done? If i could have even made a call for help, these auto guys will make life horrible for me.

It made sense.

And the fact that it makes sense (to me as well) makes it harder.

somewhere deep down and I am sure Spitfire would agree.
This is a very sad thing that has happened to us.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spitfire (Post 1167239)
I was surprised to know he did that and asked him why of all people, he acted in such a manner.

I was even more stunned and looking at me he said even you keep cursing these guys what would you have done? If i could have even made a call for help, these auto guys will make life horrible for me.

It made sense.

I happened to be in a minor accident recently with an auto guy (though nothing happened to me nor auto fella, but reasonable damage to my car) and the auto driver used that opportunity to fleece 3K out of me for a fault that was clearly his own.

So there are very few people who show sympathy towards auto wallahs:)

Well just a difference in cities can make people change. Just an eg i experience always.
Mumbai: Get down from the bus and there are auto's standing who ask your destination and take you there without questions. Night charge applies only after midnight.

Pune: Auto guy tries to find out where your from and an outsider then god bless you. Had a guy who showed me FC road twice and charged me double the charge of what i had paid for the same route earlier in the day!!

Bangalore: Get down from the bus and you have this rick guy standing with saar auto beka? Say a yes and destination is asked and as you walk towards his vehicle reality comes to fore.
Saar 80 rupees aaguthe!
80 Yaake?
Saar petrol shortage saar, Waapas khaali barthivi saar(they never fall short of reasons)

Once out of frustration i was like boss please put the meter i will pay you over the meter!!! Insane

@spitfire , let me give you a possible reason , from what i have seen till now and being in this position myself .The family/Friends of the person who is injured force the person who took the injured to hospital to register a complaint with the police and and sometimes blaming you for the accident , this i have seen many times in Bangalore. Call an ambulance would be the choice if one doesn't want get into unwanted problem like i have mentioned.

It is impossible to judge people .

Quote:

Originally Posted by chetan (Post 1167553)
...The family/Friends of the person who is injured force the person who took the injured to hospital to register a complaint with the police and and sometimes blaming you for the accident , this i have seen many times in Bangalore...

agree: We have one such incident posted here at T-BHP, which talks about a BHP'ian going in to help a elderly person involved in an accident and ended up being charged by the relatives of that person as the one to cause the accident!

Pathetic!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spitfire (Post 1130989)
How many times have you travelled by local bus from Old Airport Road to MG Road in peak hours? Do you know of any women folk who utilize the public bus service in Bangalore? What are their views?

Everyday for 7 years. Yes, a lot. They think it's useful and inexpensive.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spitfire
Because of the pathetic bus service(getting better with the VOLVO's) they are the only option nothing else. Give an alternative and no one will take one.

I assume your work commute is between Wind Tunnel Rd and Airport Rd. While I am given to understand that there is a lack of buses on Wind Tunnel Rd, please rest assured that the BMTC is in no way pathetic. They are woefully short on seating space, but their routes leave little to be faulted, especially if you happen to commute between the various business districts and the various residential ones.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spitfire (Post 1167239)

It made sense.

God forbid one day your friend or you is in a similar position, and an auto driver decides to not help him out. Of course, that will only add to your hatred for auto drivers.

There are 'scum' and cheats in every profession and strata of society. I have met auto drivers who are helpful, courteous, and honest, as well as the sort that you take to be typical of the breed.

banglore autorickshaw's looks weird,sounds weird compared to the ones we have here(kerala) ,the front side is bit more curved "(" and ")" this way compared to normal auto's.the sound is horrible too.
--
@mjothi:share aaattto in banglore?I dont think it will be a success(because of various reasons including bangalore's cosmopolitan/multi-lingual people).not to forget ,this share auto desgin itself is horrible-the one's I was used to in coimbattoor -vijaya diesel with oversize body made and very unstable(some are covered like tempo's).

as someone said ,tata magic or some 4 wheeler options must be enforced in cities like banglore.

Quote:

Originally Posted by v1p3r (Post 1168006)
Everyday for 7 years. Yes, a lot. They think it's useful and inexpensive.

That's good to hear. But you know one bad incident and you will never travel by the bus again.

Quote:

I assume your work commute is between Wind Tunnel Rd and Airport Rd.
Yes and i walk the distance.

Quote:

While I am given to understand that there is a lack of buses on Wind Tunnel Rd, please rest assured that the BMTC is in no way pathetic.
You mean the service or you mean the people giving the service. They have good route all around but thats not the only case. The driver, conductor are also part of it and thats pathetic. Their driving sense, their attitude towards passengers, etc.

Example: My wife's organisation uses BMTC servie for their transport. Today morning she was late and she had to cross the busy airport road in front of Rajeshwari Theatre. One of her colleagues see her crossing the road, asks the driver to wait a few moments. He says cant wait and drives off. Its not like it takes forever to cross the road. Maximun a minute. Cant wait for the lady to cross the road? She calls me up, i take the bike and catch the bus stuck at Marathahalli junction.

Pathetic? you tell me?

There are exceptions everywhere but the majority still think they are above the law.

Quote:

They are woefully short on seating space, but their routes leave little to be faulted, especially if you happen to commute between the various business districts and the various residential ones.
Whats the use of a good service if it cant cater properly to everyone? Its a government service isnt it. During peak times its impossible for ladies to get on a non Volvo bus. Sometimes its true even for Volvo's.

Quote:

God forbid one day your friend or you is in a similar position, and an auto driver decides to not help him out. Of course, that will only add to your hatred for auto drivers.
This city has hardened me for such instances. I can only pray and hope that i am never confronted with such a situation.

And no i dont really like the thought of it. But i am ready to take the risk.

Quote:

There are 'scum' and cheats in every profession and strata of society. I have met auto drivers who are helpful, courteous, and honest, as well as the sort that you take to be typical of the breed.
I totally agree. But the number of bitter incidents far outweigh the good ones.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spitfire (Post 1130989)
How many people you know dont car pool? How many times have you travelled by local bus from Old Airport Road to MG Road in peak hours? Do you know of any women folk who utilize the public bus service in Bangalore? What are their views?

What is the bus route from your house in Bangalore to Majestic Busstand? Without using google do you know?

I walk to office 4 days out of 5. Only on Friday i take the car because i have a late meeting.

My wife travels 3 hours everyday by company bus even though she gets an allowance for driver and fuel.

LOL. BEST OPTION, you must be kidding me right? Do they come where you want to go or where they would like you to go? Women folk are asked to get down much before they reach their actual destination any time of the day.

Because of the pathetic bus service(getting better with the VOLVO's) they are the only option nothing else. Give an alternative and no one will take one.

I recently hired a Innova for some company guest, they gave me a rate of 9 kms per Kilometer with AC. An Auto charges me 7 per km.

They go on strike for increase in petrol prices when 90% of them run on LPG. Now when prices have been reduced no reduction in fare.

Agreed. Traffic Congestion is everybody's problem. Also the infrastructure is as good as the people who can use it. Any amount of wide roads or flyovers will not help matters.

Example: Windtunnel Road. Narrow road. Once signal goes red the Auto and Cab drivers are first to get on the other lane block it totally and if required get in fights with anyone who comes down the right lane. Duh? Traffic Congestion is everybody's problem huh?I think it is caused by the people whom you htink arent the sole reason. Agreed lot of private cars do it too but its only because of the herd mentality. The Auto and cab guy goes i will go too logic.

The road was then widened no use still the same.

Auto's parked on arterial roads outside offices.

Example Diamond District and Intel Office and Manipal Hospital on Old Airport Road. 100% of the time the slow moving traffic is because of this. HONEST. I walk down this road everyday and i witnesss it everytime.

The auto guys are a scum who are festering and breeding on the cheapest work ethics. Making use of a person's desperation is one of the most sickest thing to do.

Yes sir I do! I rode the bus from KP to MES college for two years, KP to MSRIT; ocassionally, KP to RT nagar, KP to Rajajinagar.

I'm perplexed with these question you ask? but yes I have traveled every mode of public transport in Bangalore regardless of the choices and I still maintain an auto is the better choice. I use it regularly whenever I am in Bangalore where parking is zero and the ease with which you can flag one down makes it a decent choice (decent? they don't go where you want).

Last time I rode an auto I spoke to an elderly auto-man giving me a ride about why autos don't go where you want to go and his answer was it takes so much time to go anywhere in Bangalore and with increasing fuel rates and the uncertainty that they may not get a customer back to the same area where they operate from gets them to go only to popular destinations that they know where they can pick up the next customer.
All said and done this is no excuse but when he broke his routine up to the time spent and the far few trips he can do in a day and his dream of giving his children a better life I didn't feel as frustrated as I did before I sat in that auto. This guy was actually reading times of India, so he knew English and when I asked him about it he said I may not be educated as you sir but can you speak in 5 languauges? He can speak Kannada, Hindi, Tamil, Telugu and Hindi. He added, there were times when auto drivers made commute easier for any Indian in Bangalore since they spoke so many languages but these days the younger guy look down on every profession if it has nothing to do with IT.

This converstaion did lessen my frustartion when I thought more about it but only increased my frustartion on people who are educated but have no traffic or social respect or have the money to buy justice.

So yeah there are two sides to a coin. The only way this can be put to an end is by efficient police but alas Bangalore has the worst police in the world and thats a story bigger than T-bhp!

PS: heard some 5000 auto wallas in Bangalore have vowed to protect the VD couples?:D

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluestraveller (Post 1169659)
Yes sir I do! I rode the bus from KP to MES college for two years, KP to MSRIT; ocassionally, KP to RT nagar, KP to Rajajinagar.

College time was different, we had to. Unless your dad is very rich. Mine wasnt.

Its whether you can do the same travel everyday in the bus to work now?
I still think its a challenge.

Quote:

an auto is the better choice.
Rather the only choice and affordable. What are the other options you are weighing this with?

An auto though unsafe is logically a very good mode of transport for congested cities in India. This is being made use by those running the auto's to literally loot people.

Quote:

Last time I rode an auto I spoke to an elderly auto-man giving me a ride about why autos don't go where you want to go and his answer was it takes so much time to go anywhere in Bangalore and with increasing fuel rates and the uncertainty that they may not get a customer back to the same area where they operate from gets them to go only to popular destinations that they know where they can pick up the next customer.
I am surprised you acknowledged this reasoning. Its public transport right? You should have told him that it is an offence under the Indian Law to say no to a customer when you have been given a public license. They are not running a private vehicle for himself and his family.

If you think its not affordable to drop people where they prefer then he should not be doing this job and find a job where he can get what he thinks he is worth at his own expense, not at the expense of his customers.

Some basic calculations:

Rs 7/km in Bangalore. A laden auto gives around 25-30 kms per litre/LPG.

So for every litre of petrol: Rs 50 with oil gives them rs 200 return, a profit of Rs 150 per litre. Since these are low maintenance vehicles maintenance charges lets peg at 1/km.

Its still Rs 100 earned /litre of petrol.

Its around the same for LPG.

I know its not great earnings in the present scenario but the point also is they will charge you 1.5 times to go to a place where they dont want to :Frustrati Cheating? you tell me?

Quote:

only increased my frustartion on people who are educated but have no traffic or social respect or have the money to buy justice.
I wouldnt agree less and this is a bane of our society. When i am pointing one finger towards the auto guy i have three fingers pointing back at me. I see educated IT professionals not taking a roundabout as required in EGL and intead taking a 200mts route up the wrong side to avoid going another 100 mts extra?? :Frustrati

Quote:

PS: heard some 5000 auto wallas in Bangalore have vowed to protect the VD couples?
LOL, they are protecting their most valuable customers :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by maddy42 (Post 1167489)
Mumbai: Get down from the bus and there are auto's standing who ask your destination and take you there without questions. Night charge applies only after midnight.

I hate to disappoint you:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...tml#post911186

Maybe OT but this is one of the reasons I prefer to drive everywhere and not be at the mercy of these fellows.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spitfire (Post 1168312)
Example: My wife's organisation uses BMTC servie for their transport. Today morning she was late and she had to cross the busy airport road in front of Rajeshwari Theatre. One of her colleagues see her crossing the road, asks the driver to wait a few moments. He says cant wait and drives off. Its not like it takes forever to cross the road. Maximun a minute. Cant wait for the lady to cross the road? She calls me up, i take the bike and catch the bus stuck at Marathahalli junction.

No offence to your wife, or you, but I don't see anything wrong. Imagine 3 people at every stop doing this, and 10 stops. That's half an hour late there. How do you draw the line at whom to stop for and whom to wait for?

Quote:

Originally Posted by v1p3r (Post 1170808)
How do you draw the line at whom to stop for and whom to wait for?

Yeah you are right. My wife was late to get to the stop so i cant blame BMTC for that.