Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th July 2008, 10:23   #1
Senior - BHPian

Bangalore,Gear up for more Chaos - 7000 more autos will invade city roads

TOI, Bangalore: Some 73,000 autorickshaws ply on Bangalore’s congested roads. Add unauthorised ones to the list. Now, the government is bent on giving permits to 7,000 more, which will ensure further clogging of roads and an increase in pollution levels.

The transport department recently decided to issue permits to the new vehicles in the next couple of months. Adding to the blow, the department is contemplating regularizing nearly 10,000 autorickshaws running without permits.

As Bangalore is heavily autorickshawpopulated, the government in 2006 had stopped issuing permits. There was a caveat, though: only those availing of loans from social welfare development corporations like Dr B R Ambedkar corporation and minority development corporation were allowed. But the same was challenged in the Karnataka High Court, which struck down the ‘preferential rule’.

The proposal to sanction permits comes with political strings. Anticipating BBMP polls, transport minister R Ashok is said to have directed the department to facilitate the release of rickshaws for the applicants as soon as possible. They will come in handy for poll campaign.

When contacted, Ashok said the move was not due to BBMP elections, but to cater to the demand of the economically poorer sections of the society. The transport secretariat has prepared the guidelines and is expected to issue an order soon. The Bangalore Urban DC, also the regional transport authority (RTA) chairman, has been empowered to issue permits for new autorickshaws. The permits will be given on a first-come-first-serve basis.

Source
Old 15th July 2008, 10:32   #2
Team-BHP Support

That's really sad. At a time where countries are focussing on reducing the number of vehicles on the roads Bangalore is doing the opposite.

Singapore has just increased the number of ERP gantry's and increased the ERP rates to reduce the number of cars. They want people to use the public transport as much as possible.

In taiwan the local city bus is free on thursday's and the new MRT system in Kaohsiung city is a huge hit. They give 25% off on the mrt tickets as an inaugration offer. In turn they increased the rates for taxi's and fuel to discourage their use and more people use the mrt. The company I'm working for here cancelled their company bus contract and told their employees to use the new mrt line which is a 10minute walk from the office.

Bangalore needs to think of ways to reduce the number of autorickshaw's and mainly these yellow board office vehicles.

The airport Vayu Vajra Volvo bus was a step in the right direction. I try to use the Volvo bus as much as possible to commute to the airport.
Old 15th July 2008, 10:38   #3
Senior - BHPian

With no plan for any infrastructure development, the already congested roads are going to get even worse!

Regularizing of the auto's without permit is an open invitation for more such vehicle to hit the road. They know that they will be regularized at some point of time!
Old 15th July 2008, 11:11   #4
Senior - BHPian

I can just think of this as mindless chaos added to already chaotic traffic.
Old 15th July 2008, 11:16   #5
BANNED

In other fields, more competition means better prices, better services. But in rickshaw business, its other way round - auto drivers set the trap and wait for gullible and fleece them.
Old 15th July 2008, 11:16   #6
Team-BHP Support

Why not introduce the Tata Magic instead of the Auto.
Its looks better, will def handle better and can seat more people.
Old 15th July 2008, 11:19   #7
BANNED

Govt doesn't allow private-owned public transport in the city. This actually the cause of lack of viable public transport in Bangalore. BMTC does a good job but are crowded and sometimes inadequate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Why not introduce the Tata Magic instead of the Auto.
Its looks better, will def handle better and can seat more people.
Old 15th July 2008, 11:21   #8
BHPian

Along with the infrastructure development, which is absolutely neccessary, the autos should all be converted to CNG. If nothing else, this will help in reducing the ever growing pollution levels.
Old 15th July 2008, 11:22   #9
BANNED

Most autos (maybe all) are LPG. Economics doesn't work out on Petrol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhrozenFire View Post
Along with the infrastructure development, which is absolutely neccessary, the autos should all be converted to CNG. If nothing else, this will help in reducing the ever growing pollution levels.
Old 15th July 2008, 11:27   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhrozenFire View Post
with you about getting CNG autos which might relatively help in reducing the pollution levels. But for the traffic ,its going to be an increase in the clout of these autowallah's who mindlessly drive and also pounce on innocent folks for both the cash loot(inadvertently expensive auto rides in Bangy) and also trying to corner other innocent drivers(read as other 4 wheelers) even without their fault.
Old 15th July 2008, 12:27   #11
BHPian

Why doesn't the government improve the bus facility and increase the routes. There are about 200 volvo buses being added to the fleet but it is on select routes like BIAL and IT areas. people in other locations suffer a lot. Whenever I give my vehicle for service I am forced to walk to my home from office since there are no direct buses and the autos ask for 2 times the meter at 6.30 pm, I would rather walk than giving my hard earned money to these fellows.

Thiyags
Old 15th July 2008, 15:37   #12
BHPian

A back of the envelope calculation gives as an auto for every 80 person (6500000/80000) living in Bangalore. I'm sure this number will be one of the highest in the country.
Old 15th July 2008, 19:33   #13
BHPian

7000 more autos and i still fear, what's going to happen when the Nano goes on sale.
Old 15th July 2008, 19:38   #14
Senior - BHPian

Even though I am not from Banglore ( my friends, 4-5 in no. are studying near Banglore ), I know that within 5 years or so the traffic has increased too much.

This is surely going to create a lot of problems.

IMO, the government should go for metro railway on a huge scale or any other public transport infracture. Its an investment and government wont be losing money here. If we consider the pollution criteria, then invesitng in infrastructure is surely a long term investment.

The government at least with the view of investment should make a move.
Old 15th July 2008, 19:55   #15
Senior - BHPian

I wish they introduce the Share autos like in Chennai. This will greatly help in reducing the choas in traffic since many people can afford it for commuting. In other ways travelling in these auto should be less expensive then private cars. If not less than BMTC fare, atleast on par with BMTC, this would be a great success.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks