Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th January 2019, 12:20   #586
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post

Next, I found that the old card was still active even after couple of days so called customer care and had it blocked/closed, received a confirmation SMS also.
I remember a provision to block the card in SBI's YONO app. You use your ATM card with PIN / netbanking account to start using YONO.

ICICI had simply sent me an EMV card few months back. Already have SBI's EMV card for pretty long time now. Canara, however takes the cake. They started flooding me with requests to visit their branch to apply for fresh card.

Then they sent a URL, not the usual net banking one, and I first suspected phishing attempt. Then, after a whois lookup, I finally logged in, only to get an page not found error. This boiled down to a missing / at the end. (obviously, some lawyer is managing the web server).

No no. Story not over.

I get an SMS In 3rd week of December that the card is despatched, with speed post tracking ID. And Speed post site says no such ID there. Card is not delivered so far. And the old card got "hotlisted" yesterday, as per their SMS.
Old 28th February 2019, 15:22   #587
BHPian

Re: Which bank to open an account in?

Guys, with this chip card replacement for debit cards, SBI has issued me two debit cards. One is classic debit card, which offers similar facility like earlier magstrip card while the other is a Platinum card. The thing is, I did not place a request for Platinum card.

When I lodged an online complaint through onlinesbi, the reply was contact branch. I don't understand why they offer online complaint system if they cannot answer it online. Anyway, calling branch also did not help. The branch operations manager was clueless. Also, she did not want to come on phone only rather asking one of the junior employees to answer. Looks like SBI still thinks they are doing a favor by giving banking services to us. They want customers to stand in queue to get our issues resolved.

Now the question is how do I discontinue the Platinum debit card, as I am not going to use any of the value added features of Platinum card. Do I have to give application for canceling the debit card or like credit cards, I have to block a card? Will there be any charges? I don't feel it is right that I have to pay for the service I did not ask.
Old 28th February 2019, 17:08   #588
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
Now the question is how do I discontinue the Platinum debit card
Congratulations on joining the elite club !

SBI is, for some reason, keen on popularising this high end card! Before surrendering / cancelling the Platinum card, be sure that you do not indeed want it. Normal debit cards have a 20k withdrawal limit per day whereas the Platinum has 40k (or thereabouts).

If you do want to cancel it, use the SERVICES option in the SBI Anywhere app / Online Banking site and choose to Hot List the card you don't want to use. No charges whatsoever. The drop down menu has only two reasons listed for hot listing:

1. Lost
2. Stolen

Chose the first one but mention the exact reason in the next space given for explanation.
Old 17th April 2019, 08:29   #589
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Once again HDFC Bank has added another feather in its cap. This time the private lender has been identified as number 1 bank by customers in India, as per Forbes World's Best Bank survey. In the first edition of this survey, Forbes partnered with market research firm Statista to measure the best banks in 23 countries. HDFC Bank emerged as India’s No 1 bank. It was a unique survey as it did not measure financial performance, ignoring balance sheets and P&L statements in favour of customer opinion.

"We are extremely humbled to be ranked No. 1 by the customers,” said Aditya Puri, HDFC Bank MD. “Our customer has always been at the heart of everything we do since we set out to create a ‘World-Class Indian Bank 25 years ago. On behalf of all my colleagues, I would like to thank each and every customer for reposing their trust in us through the years.”

HDFC Bank has been at the forefront in leveraging technology to give its 43 million customers a superior banking experience.

Apart from HDFC Bank, it was another private-owned lender ICICI Bank which took the second spot in Forbes list for India. At third rank was DBS, followed by Kotak Mahindra Bank and IDFC Bank taking fourth and fifth spot.
Source: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.zee...ndia-94194/amp
Attached Thumbnails
Which bank to open an account in?-image_528cc6df4ba84d0f8d047c0faf5d5cd520190417_082448.jpg  

Last edited by ruzbehxyz : 17th April 2019 at 08:35.
Old 21st May 2019, 13:27   #590
Distinguished - BHPian

I currently have my salary account through HDFC and an old account in SBI which I use to store funds and not directly spend from it. My experience with HDFC has been pretty good and since they have a corporate relation with my company, the overall experience has been pretty good, given that I have never had to visit the branch in person and everything happens over phone and net banking. With SBI, the experience is nothing less than disappointing. Have had multiple "What the" experiences with them and the only reason I have kept this account open is that they need me to visit the branch for everything from a new card till closing the account. Due to my frequent travel both personal and official, I am looking forward to opening another savings account with good netbanking and international transaction facilities. The latest realisation I had was that the damn SBI Classic Debit card they offered me doesnt let withdrawals in foreign countries. I was of the opinion that a Visa or Mastercard meant you could use it universally. But I was proven wrong. My HDFC debit card lets me do that. They are also very prompt in reporting high value international/domestic transactions to me over phone, and take my approval before approving such txns, in the Credit card.

Hence, I am thinking of ICICI or Axis bank. Which of these two fare better overall in terms of the package and goodies, if applicable. Apart from these two, any other bank to consider?
Old 21st May 2019, 15:13   #591
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
.... SBI Classic Debit card they offered me doesnt let withdrawals in foreign countries. I was of the opinion that a Visa or Mastercard meant you could use it universally......
After RBI guidelines on international usage of cards (especially considering the risk related to data theft), banks would have blocked the use of debit cards abroad - it will be re-activated on your request.

Most of the banks have caught up on technology front (including PSBs) - so ease of use and convenience - aka minimum balance requirements and various fees & charges - should score higher than goodies, I guess?
Old 21st May 2019, 15:56   #592
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrprabhu View Post
After RBI guidelines on international usage of cards (especially considering the risk related to data theft), banks would have blocked the use of debit cards abroad - it will be re-activated on your request.

Most of the banks have caught up on technology front (including PSBs) - so ease of use and convenience - aka minimum balance requirements and various fees & charges - should score higher than goodies, I guess?
I was not aware of the RBI guideline. However, my cards with HDFC never had issues with these guidelines coming into place. In addition, there is an option in netbanking to enable or disable international use and set a separate limit which is an added bonus.

In SBI, there is no such option and neither a place where I can request for the same. Guess I have to go to the branch and deal with the manager, and in addition to that dodge the clerks who shout out to me to apply for a credit card, mutual fund and so on. What irked me most once was, there is this clerk who is almost confronting me to apply for a credit card. I said I already have one and dont need another since I only use my CC as a backup and when abroad. But this guy doesnt stop there and begins telling me they give higher credit card limit and blah blah. The mess didnt stop there. I turned him off saying my credit limit is already pretty high and I dont need it. Then he started asking for my salary and claimed the limit is too high and stuff. I refused to answer his questions and decently told him to look for someone else else I will have to lose my patience
By goodies, I actually meant things like the type of Debit card they offer, privileges that come with it, overall flexibility in netbanking, appointment of personal banker, international transaction charges etc. Fees is a separate aspect for sure.

Last edited by audioholic : 21st May 2019 at 15:59.
Old 21st May 2019, 16:08   #593
BANNED

I say take your choice. There are three classes, PSU, Indian and Foreign. I am with SBI (Pension) and StanChart. If you want personalized service then the foreign are the best. AS you move up the ladder (time/deposits) your quality of service improves esp with the .privateers and foreign
Old 21st May 2019, 16:13   #594
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In SBI, there is no such option and neither a place where I can request for the same.
If you have online banking services, please refer the screenshots attached for how to do it. I'm surprised SBI service experience has been bad for you. Personally I will rate SBI at one of the top levels ~ just probably one level below Amex, atleast in India. Have been using SBI debit and credit cards since a while now.

Click on e-services at the top followed by ATM card limit /usage / channel change:
Which bank to open an account in?-screenshot-20190521-4.06.42-pm.png

You'll be asked to select which card you want to change limits of:
Which bank to open an account in?-screenshot-20190521-4.07.01-pm.png

Here CNP = Card not present i.e online transactions:
Which bank to open an account in?-screenshot-20190521-4.07.21-pm.png

You can also configure international / domestic usage:
Which bank to open an account in?-screenshot-20190521-4.08.04-pm.png

Which bank to open an account in?-screenshot-20190521-4.08.12-pm.png

Last edited by blackwasp : 21st May 2019 at 16:17.
Old 21st May 2019, 16:30   #595
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
If you have online banking services, please refer the screenshots attached for how to do it. I'm surprised SBI service experience has been bad for you.
Thanks for taking all the efforts to explain the process. I did try it but for my card it doesnt provide an option for international enable/disable. Only domestic option exists. I found this yesterday and then realised that my card is domestic only, since its the classic card and not a higher version.

Anyway, since you took me to the netbanking website, I checked the available options to upgrade the debit card, and I found what is the SBI Global International Debit card and requested for one, since the charges were same as what was currently and let me try this out. Nothing fancy apart from that.
Old 21st May 2019, 17:04   #596
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
... quality of service improves esp with the privateers and foreign
Amongst the private banks there are two classes - the old gen and the new gen. I guess the new gen are more tuned to the needs of 'millinealls' and have the full suite of tech products, to cater to their requirements.

Of course, as audioholic mentioned earlier, every one is forced to 'cross-sell' whatever the bank has on offer and customers like him are bombarded with various products and offers!! I think foreign banks will be more subtle on this front.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
I'm surprised SBI service experience has been bad for you. Personally I will rate SBI at one of the top levels ~ just probably one level below Amex, atleast in India
That sound like a Abarth vs. Polo GT comparo

Thanks for the inputs - that was quick and informative. I am also guessing you are one of SBIs privileged customer at the branch where you have your account!

Quote:
.... the SBI Global International Debit card and requested for one, since the charges were same as what was currently.....
I agree with blackwasp on this. SBI has the whole gamut of services. In fact, they will be having products tailor made for specific requirements. Unfortunately, not everyone there is fully aware and it does take a while for the person to figure out what exactly suits your requirements.

If am not mistaken, SBI did have a Personal Banking branch specifically for HNIs and these branches were staffed with required skill sets. If there is one such branch nearby and convenient to you, I am sure most of your requirements will be taken care of.
Old 15th July 2019, 21:59   #597
BANNED

Bhpians with DBS bank account - any update on the experience thus far? Any nasty surprises they threw later on or any change in policy regarding zero balance? Do relationship managers disturb with unnecessary calls?

I am considering opening a savings account with them. And will also use this account to buy some stocks. So this will be linked to the demat and trading account (zerodha).

I-banking and m-banking - are both hassle free?

Thanks!!
Old 15th July 2019, 22:30   #598
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinhead View Post
Bhpians with DBS bank account - any update on the experience thus far? Any nasty surprises they threw later on or any change in policy regarding zero balance? Do relationship managers disturb with unnecessary calls?

I am considering opening a savings account with them. And will also use this account to buy some stocks. So this will be linked to the demat and trading account (zerodha).

I-banking and m-banking - are both hassle free?

Thanks!!
Have been having a Digibank account since December 2016 and I must say my experience with them has been excellent so far. No nasty surprises at all except that the SB interest rate was revised according to market rates which all bank do. Still zero balance, no charges for any kind of transfers and absolutely no call from anyone whatsoever. Both I & M Banking trouble free since day one, do go ahead with opening the account
Old 7th August 2019, 11:04   #599
BHPian

I had opened a 0 balance 811 account with Kotak last year. The purpose was mainly to avail high interest rate for the decent amount of money that I maintain for liquidity purposes as well as use it as investment only account. I was using it for routing all my investments to MFs through MFU online. This was done using Payezz, which is a ECS system of MFU.

Last month, without notifying me or even without my consent, they changed my home branch. When I posted the question to customer support over telephone as well as email, they were clueless. They raised tickets informing me they will clarify why it happened. It never came.

Rather they are harping that I should again raise a request to change the home branch back to my previous one. I fail to understand why I should be running around filling in the forms to correct their mistake. And if they do the mistake the first time, what is the assurance that it won't happen again?

The change of home branch changes IFSC / MICR codes and hence might start impacting ECS. I don't think these guys understand these things well.

Due to this unpleasant experience, I have decided to close the account in next few days.
Old 7th August 2019, 16:01   #600
Senior - BHPian

Most banks seem a bit dicey nowadays. We have split our money amongst a few banks with nearby branches to reduce the risk.

I'm also facing a stupid problem with ICICI. I have a current account with them for my business and import dental product from Japan.
While importing goods you would get two list receipts from customs - one for me and the control copy (now discontinued) which has to be submitted to the bank for confirmation that foreign transaction was done for the specified reason.
On one of these transactions from Jan 2015 the bank managed to lose my set while shifting the foreign remittance dept from one branch to the other. I keep getting reminder emails and calls from them and also a couple from the RBI to submit the documents. On speaking to them and explaining the situation they keep saying why didn't you take a receipt. Till that transaction and even after that no one has ever offered me a receipt or even spoken about it so how would I know about it ?
Then they tell me of a painful procedure to correct this including affidavits from my CA and letters on stamp paper or franking which is not easy, cheap and time consuming to get done.
Why should I run around and waste money on their error ? The more understanding people I've spoken to from the call center tell me they will get back to me with an easy workaround but never do.
Any suggestions on how to resolve this ? It's not really affecting me as such other than the annoying calls and emails and pointless conversations

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks