Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 9th June 2010, 16:42   #106
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post
I have never really heard of a fee for the Debit Gold cards so thats news for me too.
Some banks charge an annual fee for debit card. IIRC, ICICI bank charges me Rs 99 plus taxes as annual fee for debit card.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Why do you use debit cards for? I generally use my CC for all purchases and use the debit card just as a regular ATM card.
I remember reading somewhere that CC have more protection against fraud. This is because in case of any fraud transaction on the CC, you can register a complaint and refuse to pay, which forces the bank to investigate properly. In case of debit cards, the money is already gone from your account and banks can take their own sweet time to resolve any issue.
Even I prefer using credit cards for purchases.

First of all, you don't have to enter your PIN in front of anyone while making a purchase, like in a debit card.

Also, if you properly plan your major purchases in the beginning of the credit card billing cycle, you get a long interest free credit period (of almost 45 days).

If you really need a debit card, SBI is also a good option. There are no charges and no rewards.

Rohan
Old 9th June 2010, 16:45   #107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Why do you use debit cards for? I generally use my CC for all purchases and use the debit card just as a regular ATM card.
I remember reading somewhere that CC have more protection against fraud. This is because in case of any fraud transaction on the CC, you can register a complaint and refuse to pay, which forces the bank to investigate properly. In case of debit cards, the money is already gone from your account and banks can take their own sweet time to resolve any issue.
+1, Apart from above listed extras one also get a transaction period of 45 days to pay the same.
Old 9th June 2010, 17:09   #108
Senior - BHPian

I have almost used every CC available during last 10 years, you name it and I have it. The oldest one I have is ICICI CC and its the one I'm still using. I have kept aside rest all excluding HDFC CC (as backup). If you are a preferred customer, HDFC is the best choice.

With my personal experience, I would strongly suggest you to stay away from SBI, Standard Chartered and ABN-AMRO CC's.

I thought 'Annual Fees' on CC is a 7 year old story!!! I payed annual fees for just one CC, i.e. ICICI CC. Rest all cards no fees and that's the reason I got them all, tried, kept aside and still active

Last edited by HammerHead : 9th June 2010 at 17:17.
Old 9th June 2010, 17:12   #109
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
If you really need a debit card, SBI is also a good option. There are no charges and no rewards.
SBI charges Rs 50 per annum. I have 2 SBI Maestro debit cards. They are password-protected. They do not have CVV number on the back, and hence, cannot be used for some online transactions. They have some reward scheme, wherein the accumulated points could be exchanged for movie tickets, etc. I use my SBI debit cards for ATM withdrawals only.

I have 1 Axis Bank Visa International Debit Card. Absolutely no charges and petrol pump fuel surcharge is waived off for Priority account holders. Some reward scheme is announced every now and then including cash-back offers. For my petrol-filling, I use this card only in non-BP pumps in addition to ATM withdrawals. For BP pumps, I use my BP Petrocard.

I have 1 Axis Bank Gold Credit Card, which I use for most of the purhcases including online transactions.

Last edited by J.Ravi : 9th June 2010 at 17:19.

Old 9th June 2010, 17:45   #110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Some banks charge an annual fee for debit card. IIRC, ICICI bank charges me Rs 99 plus taxes as annual fee for debit card.
Guess I am one of the lucky ones then
Old 9th June 2010, 22:32   #111
BHPian

Yes I know CC will give me more benefit but I want to use Debit card thus looking for it.

Also now a days for master / visa debit cards you don't need any PIN , that are same like CC.

sammyboy

How do you got free gold debit cards? Also how are the points reimbursed ?

As per HDFC site, you can have one If you keep annual balance of 25k or FD or Rs 1 lkh with them. But FD rates of HDFC bank are pathetic thus do not want to keep money over their. ( Instead keep it in HDFC which have higher rate)
Old 9th June 2010, 22:48   #112
Senior - BHPian

Hi hrishig, I really never applied for a gold or a platinum or whatever. The bank one fine day about 5 years back decided that they want to upgrade me to a gold at no cost so I said ok thats it The other ones came with the salary a/c. Also, to be frank I have never really even looked at points etc. so cant really help you there. The only reason I use my DC is so that i know what I am spending.
One does need to be careful with Debit cards as unlike Credit Cards you cant really contest a false charge. Here once money leaves your account its gone. Its very difficult to prove cheating and fight with the bank.
Old 9th June 2010, 22:51   #113
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerHead View Post
With my personal experience, I would strongly suggest you to stay away from SBI, Standard Chartered and ABN-AMRO CC's.
Any specific reasons for this? Any horror stories?
Old 27th June 2010, 16:09   #114
BHPian

Anybody facing problems of late with Axis Bank? My new employer opened a salary premium account with Axis Bank. The bank representative who comes to our campus said my account opening will be delayed as they are doing some software migration. They took almost a month to open an account for me. Then in the last week I tried transferring some money from my previous salary account (ICICI) into this account and the transfer got rejected thrice, on 3 consecutive days. I made the transfer well within the NEFT hours. Today, 3 of my colleagues are running from ATM to ATM to withdraw some cash. Axis bank ATMS, other bank ATMs nothing is working, its just not dispensing any cash for any of their cards.

I have operated this account for little over a month now, and its already left a bitter taste in my mouth. I am planning on trasnferring my complete salary to my SBI account each month, but I will miss some features Axis offers to their premium salary account holders. What to dos? :(

anyone else facing such issues with Axis off late? what is their customer care number?
Old 27th June 2010, 16:30   #115
Distinguished - BHPian

UTI bank was excellent: Axis is just a bunch of sales people. Completely disillusioned with them, even without the substantial (more than one car) amount of my money their "wealth management" people lost because they knew how to sit back in a rising market, but not how to handle a falling one. Their method of handling my complaints was simple and straightforward: they didn't.

I would rather have a bank manager with twenty years experience of banking than a youngster with a degree in marketing.

Sorry: the word Axis tends to touch my rant reflex --- although we still operate our day-to-day savings account with them.

I believe the lady there that I found to be seriously brilliant is now running the branch in Perambur. If you hadhappened to be in that part of the world.... That's the problem with very good employees in big companies: they get moved on.
Quote:
what is their customer care number?
You should find details of the officers that handle complaints, locally, regionally and nationally, on the branch noticeboard. I think there is a complaints procedure on their website.

Limited down time of an ATM network, on the other hand, is something that can, and does, happen to any bank anywhere in the world, although that's not much comfort to us when we urgently need cash.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 27th June 2010 at 16:34.
Old 27th June 2010, 17:52   #116
Senior - BHPian

On the contrary, I've had a savings bank account with UTI / Axis Bank since 2003 and my experiences with them have been really good. Their banking website was down sometime last week for maintenance but customers were informed of the event nearly a week before on the website itself. Have never faced a problem with ATM's being down or anything else, but it just might have been that I've been lucky !
Old 24th September 2010, 17:37   #117
BHPian

Hi, can someone tell me which of the major banks offer RTGS facility online? Recently, I had to do a RTGS transfer, but I could not locate it in ICICI bank netbanking. Upon enquiring came to know that it is not available online.

Also, ICICI offers NEFT that is limited to 1L per day for all transactions comibined. Which other banks offer highter limit?
Old 24th September 2010, 20:40   #118
BHPian

Quote:

Even I prefer using credit cards for purchases.

First of all, you don't have to enter your PIN in front of anyone while making a purchase, like in a debit card.

Rohan
That's a history. Now you don't need to enter any PIN. The advantage of debit card is that don't / can't over spend.
Old 24th September 2010, 20:43   #119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
Hi, can someone tell me which of the major banks offer RTGS facility online? Recently, I had to do a RTGS transfer, but I could not locate it in ICICI bank netbanking. Upon enquiring came to know that it is not available online.

Also, ICICI offers NEFT that is limited to 1L per day for all transactions comibined. Which other banks offer highter limit?

Try citi bank. If you have good A/C balance , citi bank is the best.
Old 24th September 2010, 20:58   #120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrishig View Post
That's a history. Now you don't need to enter any PIN.
Citibank debit card still has PIN as validation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrishig View Post
The advantage of debit card is that don't / can't over spend.
This is valid only if you have a small account balance.

Most Viewed