Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 7th September 2010, 14:57   #106
BHPian

Sorry for the delay - The link is as given below
Tatkal Passport Renewal Delhi - India : A Quick Reference
Old 24th September 2010, 12:19   #107
Senior - BHPian

Any luck with conversion of normal passport renewal to tatkal? My passport renewal application is pending with police for verification since 45 days and I have to travel urgently. Police folks say that the computer has failed in their commissioner office and it will be delayed further.
Old 24th September 2010, 12:44   #108
BHPian

@Vasoo: I am in the same state as you. Completed police verification and waiting for update. Need to be in US on Oct 4th, but doesn't look like I am getting my passport by then.

Spoke to passport seva kendra helpline - was suggested to check in RPO Koramangala for expediting the issuance. Do let me know if you succeed or i will update if my case progresses.
Old 23rd February 2011, 17:24   #109
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tatkaal application for passport

Dear all,
sorry to revive a old thread but i need to know if one should opt for a agent or approach the passport office directly via the online application process for Tatkal scheme.In other words which is better ?

thanks for your time.
Old 23rd February 2011, 17:28   #110
Senior - BHPian

If its a new application, you can use an agent.

For any other change, you have to visit passport office.
Old 23rd February 2011, 17:36   #111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post

yes it's for a new passport, fresh. I just need to know which will be more convenient through self or agent as the forms are available online.Is the agent of much use to me ?
Old 23rd February 2011, 17:51   #112
Senior - BHPian

Agent will save couple of trips to worli office, 3 -4 hours each.
Old 23rd February 2011, 18:06   #113
Team-BHP Support

I need to have mine renewed. What is the maximum time it would take for renewal via the tatkal route?

manson.
Old 24th February 2011, 08:17   #114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Dear all,
sorry to revive a old thread but i need to know if one should opt for a agent or approach the passport office directly via the online application process for Tatkal scheme.In other words which is better ?

thanks for your time.
Quote:

There is absolute no need for an agent since the application for passport is now online, meaning that passport office accept online applications only. All you need to do is fill the relevant details online and take an appointment online to submit the application form. The form generated online has a bar coding and a file reference with the appointment time details printed. Take a print and go to the passport office where you will have to specify during the document scrutiny whether you want a tatkal passport or a normal passport. Pls note that in tatkal too there are two options - one to get in 7 days and other to get in 14 days time each having its own cost. Only thing which needs to be ensured that the documents are correct with originals and two sets of copies self attested are in place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson View Post
I need to have mine renewed. What is the maximum time it would take for renewal via the tatkal route?

manson.
I hope I have answered this in the above para.
Old 24th February 2011, 11:02   #115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
There is absolute no need for an agent since the application for passport is now online..and go to the passport office where you will have to specify during the document scrutiny whether you want a tatkal passport or a normal passport.
That is the ideal scenario. Usually you will have to visit second time to follow up.

using an agent saves these two trips (on a working day). Whether it is "worth" or not is individual's prerogative.

Earlier, you could submit your application in nearest Speed Post office. For some reason that has been stopped.
Old 24th February 2011, 11:20   #116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That is the ideal scenario. Usually you will have to visit second time to follow up.

using an agent saves these two trips (on a working day). Whether it is "worth" or not is individual's prerogative.
I fail to understand why would there be a second time and follow up for what? If your application is correct with all documentation in place, you will be given a receipt with the file no which can be tracked online on the passport website.

This in fact has reduced the time for passport applications and visits to passport office.
Old 24th February 2011, 12:18   #117
Senior - BHPian

If things are really streamlined and work as expected then it might happen automatically once you deposit documents in first visit.

My experience has been different. 3 weeks back, my neighbor had to follow up multiple times to get his passport in week's time.
Old 24th February 2011, 12:48   #118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If things are really streamlined and work as expected then it might happen automatically once you deposit documents in first visit.
I can vouch on that since recently I got my passport done by Tatkal process and it was only one visit. Recd the passport on the 8th day.
Old 24th February 2011, 13:18   #119
BHPian

I recently got my passport extended via Tatkal through an agent in Chennai. My two cents.

If everything works well like having proper documentation, the officer reviewing is okay with your documentation (70-80% of the cases), you don't need an agent.

There are occassions when going through an agent helps e.g. when they reject a document/application for various reasons (some of them don't make sense) and you have got to resubmit. From what I noticed in the two days I spent there, the rejection happens because of variety of reasons

1) The list of documents required is a bit confusing especially what is given in the website vs what is displayed on the notice board. Saw a lot of people affected by this and they had to come back second time.

2) Officer's mood. My cousin's had his application rejected citing some lame reasons and when he retried another day, the application with the same document set was approved by another officer.

Agents know the typical reasons that they cite and help you avoid those reasons. e.g. During my process at the passport office, the DD provided by a particular bank for an applicant was not readable without effort and they rejected the application. My agent had forewarned me about it and he got the DD himself.

On the other hand, agents cannot help prepone the appointment. For tatkal, you have to book an appointment through online and in my case, I booked the appointment and later realized it is for regular and not for Tatkal. For Tatkal, there is no separate checkbox or link for but in the dropdown menu for location, one has to select the location as Chennai-Tatkal. I booked it the second time and my appointment date was two weeks later. As I had to travel the next week, approached the Company's agent to see if he can get the appointment preponed. His contact was on deputation to a different region and he couldnt help.

He asked me to approach the RPO (regional passport officer) but one has to meet the peon before the RPO. The peon checked the letter provided by my employer explaining the urgency to prepone my appointment. At his competency level not sure whether the really understood anything that was written but he asked me to get that letter attested at the Indian consulate in London and my company's travel dept was not for it.

Finally, my company found someone else to travel instead of me. I submitted my documents on the original apppointment date. The agent had helped me avoid unneccasary wait at the office and advised me of the right time to do each stuff. I was able to go late in the evening and submit my docs. Got my new passport within a week.
Old 24th February 2011, 13:32   #120
Senior - BHPian

Hi Sridhar,

Sad to know that you had to go through all those moments. Even I felt the need for an option in the drop down menu for the type of passport needed specially addressing the Tatkal needs. This option is not available presently.

I do agree with you regarding the points 1 and 2, however a little homework does help a lot in this case. To tell you my experience when I had gone to get my wife's passport renewed and my son's new passport, I had to face a lot of such issues. One typical issue was no residence proof available in my wife's name. For that I had to run to my bank to get the pass book which had joint account and the address details.

In my case of recent passport application, I was told that the passport sized photo pasted was not within the square box provided. Had to trim the photo to get in to that box. All this inspite of having all the neccessary documents in place.

To start with atleast the online registration have started, its not far when all the documents would also be need to scanned and attached online itself along with the application and a gateway payment for the fees. Then there will be no need of going to the passport office at all. Hope the day is not far.

Most Viewed