Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th July 2008, 18:22   #76
BHPian

Amtak:
Agree with you; Salaries for HR chaps been support staff is not as great as the line managers on project

Phamilyman:
The costing given by me is as is for this year. I too work for a large Indian IT corporate and agree that 2 Lakhs is way above the average most companies take as a bank guarantee as written earlier. I agree with your points which you have factored and am with you if a company is trying to exploit and charge un-necessarily; but all organisations are not alike.

Large Corporates started the funda as resources started moving out immediately after training they have to put stops and checks else they will be treated as training grounds only.
Old 17th July 2008, 18:33   #77
Senior - BHPian

Update guys : Just checked the Satyam offer letter. They are asking for a 2l bank guarantee PLUS 5k per month till the time you are with them in both cases , u leave or the company terminated.
This is BIG time robbery and just not acceptable.
Old 17th July 2008, 18:34   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Syntel option can be explored, but they are basically a body shopping company.
I think that's a good thing.
Old 17th July 2008, 18:55   #79
BHPian

drop the Satyam offer its not worth it
Old 17th July 2008, 19:03   #80
Senior - BHPian

Go in for job if u can get it and do a part time MBA.I have a friend who works and has completed his MBA part time (3 year's course) from wellingkar inistitue.Be prepared for utter hardwork though because it's going to be very hectic.
Old 17th July 2008, 19:25   #81
Senior - BHPian

The benefits of MBA extend longterm and are higher if done from a premier school. How is Apeejay.
Old 17th July 2008, 19:29   #82
Senior - BHPian

Not a premier institute for sure. I am considering asking her to hang on n wait for a job while preparing for a better school . She can easily get into a much better school than this for sure. Makes sense if she has to drop a year? Apeejay will be there next year too but so will be her chance for something better.
Old 17th July 2008, 20:04   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Go in for job if u can get it and do a part time MBA.I have a friend who works and has completed his MBA part time (3 year's course) from wellingkar inistitue.Be prepared for utter hardwork though because it's going to be very hectic.
That is very true. I didn't get into a relationship after I enrolled for the MBA as I knew that I wont be able to give time to my gal over weekends. Even another Bhpian (Maverick) is doing a part time MBA like me. WElingkar's is daily, so i K J Somaiya. I am at N L Dalmia and it is over the weekends. So technically speaking, I don't have time at all for self.
Old 17th July 2008, 20:08   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post
Not a premier institute for sure. I am considering asking her to hang on n wait for a job while preparing for a better school . She can easily get into a much better school than this for sure. Makes sense if she has to drop a year? Apeejay will be there next year too but so will be her chance for something better.
In that case why don't you ask her to enroll herself to IMS or something of that sort. She can prepare for IIM's then?

MODS: Can you help me merging both the posts? I somehow goofed up somewhere! Sorry!
Old 17th July 2008, 20:10   #85
Senior - BHPian

I guess thats the only option left. Will ask her to join career launcher or some institute, will wait for an offer meanwhile.if she gets it will join n prepare together..if no jobs in market she can prepare and get into a better b school.
Old 17th July 2008, 20:26   #86
Senior - BHPian

sammy , what kind of %iles is your sister capable of ? and any reservations ?
Old 17th July 2008, 20:31   #87
Senior - BHPian

well i dont really know bro, this is the only one she appeared for and this came up 4 days before the entrance exam so never prepared really. Wasnt actually planing to go for an MBA till this happened and the market started going for a slump.
She is good at quants,english and logic. Needs to work on DI and general knowledge needs BIG time improvement. Needs to practice a lot to get up to speed though but funda's are good.
reservations ? sorry couldnt understand that

Last edited by sammyboy : 17th July 2008 at 20:32.
Old 17th July 2008, 20:33   #88
Senior - BHPian

well, try out the time AIMCATS. they will give you an idea of where you stand. If you want into the IIM's , you should be able to get 95+ %iles consistently.
Also, OBC and other quota based reservations will help you get in, and so will being a girl
Old 17th July 2008, 20:35   #89
Senior - BHPian

lol oh that reservation unfortunate poor general category here man..no luck
Will ask her to try that . Thanks man.
Old 18th July 2008, 11:29   #90
BHPian

There was a time when you could wake me up in the middle of the night and ask me this question and I would have given a 5 minute monolouge on the pros and cons of the Job or MBA options ( Used to teach English at a CAT coaching institute and was a counselor too ).

Coming back to the topic, frankly speaking this is a good time to do an MBA. The markets are in a slump so 2 years of working might not lead to a great appreciation in terms of income. Then again as many have said MBA is more about peer connections and brand image, so its better to go for a premier institute but, before investing a year in hope for IIMs I would suggest a realistic evaluation of where she actually stands. Also I would like to add that being on bench would acually be a good option right now. She would get plenty of time to study and actually get paid for it too . As to not getting any practical work experience when you are on bench, that would come into picture when you are actually facing the interview. For getting a call all what one needs is the number of months in the work experience coloumn and if one is smart they can justify the bench time during the interview.

In a nutshell my suggestion is to take a job, preferably a bench one and give a sincere shot to CAT.

Last edited by akshat : 18th July 2008 at 11:34.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks