Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st July 2008, 16:18   #31
Senior - BHPian

I have stopped watching TV. I only watch TV when there is some new good movie on Star Movies or HBO which i have not seen.

Otherwise sometimes i see GadgetGuru.

Even then i have my laptop with me and when adverts come i start surfing net or working.
Old 21st July 2008, 16:18   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post

My personal favourites are " The History Channel ", " Nat Geo " and " Discovery ". In case of NatGeo and Discovery, almost all shows except animals.

Me too... like air crash investigations, mega structures and now "super factories" They covered BMW and Corvette factories in this series, it was just amazing.

I stopped watching "news" channels some time ago.
Old 21st July 2008, 16:33   #33
Senior - BHPian

I go back home and watch the 8 o clock news on udaya tv which actually leaves all gossip and gives you some sort of news on karnataka. Nothing else in news channels can keep me glued for half an hour at a stretch.
I still get bugged over the nuisance they created over aishwaryas marriage. God i didnt want it and no i didnt ask you to stand for 2 to 3 days in front of their house and then end up getting no pictures but booted by the security. Some people get what they want right
Old 21st July 2008, 16:48   #34
Senior - BHPian

THe thing about most news channels is that they treat news like entertainment.
The ones who try to expose our beloved leaders and gurus are beaten are their offices burnt.
I am just looking at the nuclear deal issue and am ashamed with the way out politicians are being bought/sold with no regard to the future of the country. The only thing they want is their full pockets. I guess this was OT but I am really really ashamed that these are the people who run my country.
Old 21st July 2008, 17:00   #35
Senior - BHPian

News channels nowadays are obsessed with 3 things.
Controversies - Politics, Cricket.
Bollywood - All the crap.
Opinion Polls - They think the opinions of some thousands reflect the opinions of the whole coutry. They have a opinion poll (sms, website, phone) on everything.

I watch NDTV for some serious news, but even it appears to be biased at times. There is this new channel called NewsX, at the moment it is the best. It appears more composed and lacks sensationalism.
Old 21st July 2008, 18:15   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
I remember 10-15 years back India Today had some quality journalism unlike the parody of its former self that it is today.
Indeed, the quality suffered once it became a weekly magazine from a fortnightly one. For someone, who loved the erstwhile avatar of India Today, it's transition to yellow journalism has been quite sad to watch
[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy
THe thing about most news channels is that they treat news like entertainment
In their mind, they are competing with saans-bahu serials for the eye-balls and hence the advertising pie. How much serious debate can be packed when a half hr news programme has 15 mins of advertising?
[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva
I think regional channels fare better than Hindi/English ones
Yes, good observation..slightly better news channels..(apart from the nonsense reality shows .).any idea why?
Old 21st July 2008, 22:14   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by safari_lover View Post
They have a opinion poll (sms, website, phone) on everything.
Agree, its the worst possible thing that electronic media can do. I dont remember the exact name of one news channel, but that news channel gave away prizes for poll results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriturl View Post
Me too... like air crash investigations, mega structures and now "super factories" They covered BMW and Corvette factories in this series, it was just amazing.
I dont remember the name of the episode, but they have also covered Ferrari 599 and some other cars. Its awesome. I have a video of Lamborghini and its excellent.

" The History Channel " also covers a lot about automobiles in " Boys' Toys " programme.
Old 24th October 2008, 11:58   #38
Senior - BHPian

India TV Funny breaking news -- Post here!

India's most popular entertainment channel, India TV, does it again. Clicked this yesterday

P.S. For those who can't read Hindi, translation is:

Breaking news!! Raj Thakrey's pet dogs have English name!!
Attached Thumbnails
Whats happening to our TV channels?-image0099.jpg  

Old 24th October 2008, 12:05   #39
Senior - BHPian

DCEite sirji there is a thread already this http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...-channels.html
Old 24th October 2008, 13:01   #40
Senior - BHPian

But still India TV being a legendary TV channel, it need to have a dedicated thread !!

Old 24th October 2008, 13:14   #41
Team-BHP Support

Note from mod: Threads merged

Last edited by tsk1979 : 24th October 2008 at 15:38.
Old 24th October 2008, 14:52   #42
BHPian

Hate to admit but the person who reads all these news in the evening on India TV is my first Cousin Saurav Sharma.

he wanted to become a journalist and look "how they massecred my Boy". (in case you dont know the line please get yourself a DVD of Godfather)the journalist died in him in the race of TRP.

But why blame India tv that is the case with all the news channel, even once NDTV India showed meat eating BAKRA on prime time..hehe
Old 24th October 2008, 15:24   #43
BHPian

Channels make good money from these opinion polls since people participating in such polls are charged more than the normal message rates. Telecom cos share revenue with channels
Old 24th October 2008, 15:44   #44
BANNED

While surfing the channels, I rarely spend more than 30 seconds on news channels. Every time they say "breaking news", what used to register in my mind was "breaking wind". I thought it was just me. But I am relieved with the 43 posts above; I am not alone.
Old 24th October 2008, 16:08   #45
BHPian

Quote:
They're taking us down the gutter & the world beyond!

+100 to that !!!

Quote:
I stopped watching telly (apart from the occasional sporting event/really important news coverage) a few years ago & have never regretted that decision.
Me too. Have found that I suddenly have all this free time in the evenings and on weekends for other hobbies, reading etc. More time for Team-BHP too.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks