Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st July 2008, 10:36   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
6. You have an option: you should be intelligent enough to separate garbage (nearly all) from the real news. Newspapers still remain better sources, but even that is also becoming debatable.
TV Channels have actually become XXX rated these days that you cannot sit with your children to even watch the news.
Old 21st July 2008, 10:39   #17
BHPian

News Channel Showing what Chris Angel (magician) does. breaking a womans body into two halves. which was repeated 67 times, on how he does the trick. Finish i stopped watching that channel!!
Old 21st July 2008, 10:41   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
Ramie anna, Check this out!! Clicked from AAJ TAK!!
Well what about the one on Ash's first Karva chouth..the whole day the cameras were outside their residence!

Quote:
Torqy : We've reached a stage where fathers send their daughters to participate in "brilliant" programs like Splitsvilla aired on MTV.
yeah, that program is a shocker for sure of what little I have seen!!
Old 21st July 2008, 10:41   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Why blame the media? If the TRP ratings of shows where a man turns into a monkey is the highest, they will show that. Maybe its the true news, backward evolution of mankind
Off course, that is 100% true. Any news channel not showing that will run out of business pretty soon. Alternate is a public broadcasting channel (oh, Doordarshan) or a channel financed by Bill Gates/Buffett. Many people want quality, not loads of garbage. But more than that want titillation, and stuff that increases their adrenalin and testesterone levels.
Old 21st July 2008, 10:42   #20
Senior - BHPian

Well i trust only 1 news channel. NDTV. Nothing else comes close to giving an unbiased opinion.
Every one else gives this biased kind of news! Worst of the lot is india tv and the host one dude with specks and semi bald. I guess he wanted to be a lawyer when he was a child and as his wish was not fullfilled he tries to become one on the news!!
Worst lot is aaj tak which has breaking news flashing on screen 24/7. Trust me you guys can check it out.
And the least i say about reality shows the better. Well splitsvilla is kinda shocking. Stupid concept
Old 21st July 2008, 10:42   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
neoranjit :
* Ranbir and Deepika dont kiss each other
* Kaif birthday party raided by cops
* Teen pregancy on the rise.

Well, if I had a teen aged daughter, I would be worried abt the last headline. accepted. But the first two ? How does it matter to me !!!
Actually, you have listed the headlines in a very logical sequence. The first two can lead to, and can contribute to the third : Kisses, parties & ... then pregnancy. Simple, isn't it ?
Old 21st July 2008, 11:20   #22
Senior - BHPian

These days when I want to be really entertained, I watch news channels (especially Star-News). For serious news, I stick to Times-Now, CNN-IBN etc.

Like several people have mentioned, its all about TRP ratings. Most of the people in India like watching sensational stuff on news channels and news being a business, the channels will do whatever gets them more business.

How many of us who are complaining about such news channels, watch DD-News ?
Old 21st July 2008, 11:48   #23
Senior - BHPian

I think regional channels fare better than Hindi/English ones.
Old 21st July 2008, 13:14   #24
Senior - BHPian

Media is just a reflection of society.

If the media is pushing utter crap - it simply means our society (and the ppl comprising it) are utter crap.

Media shows something that it feels it can sell the best. If society really does not want it, that would reflect in poor TRP ratings.

HOWEVER, that is not so. So please lets stop calling media company names - and accept that fact that we have gone to the dogs (no offence to the dogs actually), and that we human really relish on this bull crap being shown these days.
Old 21st July 2008, 13:45   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
Media is just a reflection of society.

If the media is pushing utter crap - it simply means our society (and the ppl comprising it) are utter crap.

Media shows something that it feels it can sell the best. If society really does not want it, that would reflect in poor TRP ratings.

HOWEVER, that is not so. So please lets stop calling media company names - and accept that fact that we have gone to the dogs (no offence to the dogs actually), and that we human really relish on this bull crap being shown these days.
Quite right. We've really gone to the dogs. If you keep feeding people crap, they'll get used to it and finally will start liking it. The TRP ratings show just that.

...and then we have the double standards. Look at all the noise we made about IPL cheerleaders..and then watch a movie song (Nowadays all are item numbers.) aired on TV (Don't want to pick out languages here. In general ALL.) at prime time.

Who is more decent? Cheerleaders or Movie song dancers?
Old 21st July 2008, 13:49   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
Ramie anna, Check this out!! Clicked from AAJ TAK!!
That was .

1)
TV channels shows up anything. There is no amount of seriousness in the TV channels. I end up memorizing the dialouges of TV ads and the real stuff is left behind.

My personal favourites are " The History Channel ", " Nat Geo " and " Discovery ". In case of NatGeo and Discovery, almost all shows except animals.

2)
About the news channels:

a)
They are reflecting our society. They do cover up somethings in a huge manner. And they just forget the rest. The seriousness of " Taaza Khabar " is no longer there. They can make 1 hour story out of a fight between two actors. Anything about our film industry and they have around 1 hour coverage.

b)
On the positive side, they are also doing some responsible job. There are cartain cases where the media really helped. The recent havoc at A'bad because of a " Sant " was because of these news channels mostly and also due to newspapers. They are also doing some of awareness job. Sometimes they do a good job.

c)
But dont watch their car shows. I remember these guys telling " G2HC has 1600cc engine " and in case of SX4 VS Verna VS Fiesta, Hyundai can defeat anyone because it has .5PS more or some other crap. They are generally ridiculous.
Old 21st July 2008, 14:00   #27
BHPian

The worst news channel according to me is Headlines Today, it was shocking to know this channel belongs to India Today group. Whenever my wife wants to know bollywood gossip she watches Headlines Today, the 24 hours NEWS channel.

I watch Times Now when a particlar guy hosts a show where he invites political rivals / party spokesmen and asks questions. Most of the time he doesn't allow the people to answer, he will give his views for the question he asked and interfere as much as possible. I havne't seen a single time when a conversation went fine. For all those who have a doubt why I still watch that program, this is like watching a Vijayakanth (a REAL superstar in tamil movies) movie, where the hero talks pages of serious dialogue and the audience have a good laugh. Fellow BHPians who watch vijayakanth movies will understand this better.

There are many such progams in TV today, some of which has already been mentioned in this thread.

Thiyags
Old 21st July 2008, 15:36   #28
BHPian

Headlines today can also be called a p**n channel at times.

Regional channels are no better. A leading Tamil Channel which has the entire state glued for the 8pm news ( sometime back ) had their headlines screaming that ' Actress xxx got married to some xxx today ".

I couldnt believe that was their headline for the day. Did nothing worthy happen in the entire world ?
Old 21st July 2008, 16:03   #29
Senior - BHPian

Headlines Today is the english version of Aaj Tak (For real, I'm not joking here). Both of them belong to the India Today group & the magazine has also gone the news channel way. I remember 10-15 years back India Today had some quality journalism unlike the parody of its former self that it is today.

Last edited by iraghava : 21st July 2008 at 16:08.
Old 21st July 2008, 16:13   #30
BHPian

This movie translation business is going high now a days, leaving some good instances to laugh. One of my friend said about a James Bond movie translation to Tamil (I haven't seen this so can't say for sure, but he said he has seen it) and the actual dialog 'come on darling' (or something similar) was translated as james bond saying to girl - "Va Kanne Roja Malare". Man! But definitely stuff. It may be not exactly like this, but I have heard similar things in movie translation.

Last edited by redfire : 21st July 2008 at 16:15.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks