Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 23rd July 2008, 15:52   #16
BHPian

Ram,

Check this link. :::Solkar:::Products::

I did a project in college on using the solar power for industrial lighting and had chance to work with solkar industries who are the leading solar panel/product manufacturers in chennai.
Old 23rd July 2008, 16:11   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo View Post

To save on on power usage for Computers:

Dispose PCs, buy laptops. Install a dynamo (converts mechanical energy to current). Workout on dynamo produces enough power to charge laptops & mobiles.
I like it. 2 in one purpose
Old 23rd July 2008, 16:19   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mission_Safari View Post
Ram,

Check this link. :::Solkar:::Products::

I did a project in college on using the solar power for industrial lighting and had chance to work with solkar industries who are the leading solar panel/product manufacturers in chennai.
Nice options.
10K for using 3 "Emergency lights" for 2 hrs without any recurring power bills. I think its a good solution.
Old 23rd July 2008, 16:19   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillionSwords View Post
Wind: I have seen some wind mill type setups in places like Kanyakumari/Nagerkoil where the wind power is good. So what does this setup require?

1. A Wind mill [the fan unit]
2. A generator
3. A storage unit? - I'm not sure what this is technically called.
then some installation and wiring I believe. Some one who knows, please add some info here.
Wind Mill may not be practical unless you have a huge site and sparse neighbourhood (definitely not in Chennai and Bangalore). may be apartments can try. A storage unit consisting of batteries can be used, but i would recommend using Wind power to directly pump water to over head tanks (the original use of Wind mills by Dutch)
Old 23rd July 2008, 16:23   #20
BHPian

Solar Water heaters

This has been my experience with solar water heaters. I briefly lived in Pune in a house fitted with solar water heaters. On those days that are hot there is ample sunshine you get so much hot water and you dont want to bath in it as it is a hot day. And on one of those days when it is pouring and you want to have a hot water bath the panel does not receive enough sunshine and so there is no hot water.
Old 23rd July 2008, 16:59   #21
BHPian

Even I thought it would be a good idea to use solar energy for home use by solar panels. It seems, the panels are very much costly. Alternate methods are available but not for home use.

Recently I saw a program in Discovery channel in which some of the countries produce solar energy and distribute them so it is available 24 hours. They are not using Solar panels, instead Mirrors which reflects the sun's light towards a single tower. The tower captures the light & heat and converts into electrical energy. Similarly another company uses the mirror and directs a light to a pipe of fluid to heat it and generates electricity, this method is cheap. Also these are also used in night when Sun light is not available by the use of some chemical powder which continuously generates power during the night. So different kind of technology is there to use solar energy. Government should take serious step in using these technology, especially here as we get the raw material free.
Old 23rd July 2008, 17:00   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopinathann View Post
Government should take serious step in using these technology, especially here as we get the raw material free.
Government already provides considerable subsidy for solar products.
Old 23rd July 2008, 17:22   #23
BHPian

Quote:
yep, I have seen pamphlets of solar water heaters, but I don't know about solar panels to directly power the home appliances.

I wish Govt. to use solar energy apart from Thermal & Wind energy.
Old 23rd July 2008, 17:33   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopinathann View Post
yep, I have seen pamphlets of solar water heaters, but I don't know about solar panels to directly power the home appliances.

I wish Govt. to use solar energy apart from Thermal & Wind energy.
The problem with solar energy usage for anything other than the residential purposes is that the initial investment is very high and the return on investment period goes upto 20 to 30 years. So any practical person/industry will not go for it. Having said that there are number of government aided institutes where solar energy is being used for street lighting purposes.
Old 23rd July 2008, 17:46   #25
Senior - BHPian

Safari has hit on the nail. Solar is good on paper, but besides a lifestyle statement, takes eons to recover costs.

But then if we were all pure VFM, we wouldn't bother with the kinda cars we buy, do we?

That said, Delhi, which suffers more powercuts than any metro survives on invertors for everything. or power backup in societies via generators. for normal house non ac usage, inverter would do fine. for ac, you need a generator.
Old 23rd July 2008, 17:55   #26
rippergeo

Quote:
As your FILaw is in business he may be a good lead to understand Solar Energy in this thread. Expensive is agreed, but we need some figures, please enquire and post here.

How many cells would we need? for running 2 Fans, and 2 Tube Lights, 1 TV or Radio, 1 Refrig. - how many hours of charge needed? How long can it run the above mentioned?
Will ask him and post.
How long do you want back up for? Are the appliances meant to run on solar when the power is cut, or full time?

Quote:
I heard differently.
where can we find more about the subsidies on offer?

Old 23rd July 2008, 18:02   #27
Senior - BHPian

rippergeo, the info would be helpful to me also. I am looking at using solar panels to mainly light up the exteriors of our home in Kerala (say 2-3 CFLs) and maybe a couple of CFLs inside the home in case of powercuts. Would like to get a rough idea of the cost involved. Thanks.
Old 23rd July 2008, 18:05   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
I heard differently.
where can we find more about the subsidies on offer?
I got a pamphlet with the subsidy details on solar products from the TN energy development office located in College road chennai. Their website is Tamil Nadu Energy Development Agency

You can check for similar office in Kerala and go in person to collect the subsidy details.
Old 23rd July 2008, 18:09   #29
BHPian

Interesting ways to produce electricity

Source of this news : 21 July Deccan Chronicle.
Sorry cant post link instead of copy pasting since the content changes every day.

Hyderabad, July 20: The upcoming CRPF gym in Chandrayangutta is all set to give an entirely new meaning to the urban slang of a ‘power-packed’ workout. Jawans sweating it out at the CRPF Hyderabad Group Centre in Chandrayangutta will not just be burning calories but also producing power, literally!
The power they produce through their exertion will be used to charge batteries of vehicles. Not just this, the jawans will also get paid in proportion to the quantum of power they produce. "We plan to utilise the generated energy to charge the batteries of the huge fleet of vehicles in our possession," said the Deputy Inspector General of Police (CRPF), Mr B.N Ramesh.The unique equipment which taps energy from the exercising jawans is being devised and customised at the manufacturing unit owned by CRPF.
At present, the fleet of vehicles is charged with power supplied by the AP State Electricity Board. But soon these vehicles will be running on ‘manpower,’ so to say. "Getting money for a workout at the gym is sure to attract a lot more jawans," said Mr Ramesh. The CRPF officials are planning to inaugurate the state-of-the-art gym soon and experts are working on the amount of energy that needs to be generated to run the batteries. Ideally, the jawans would earn Rs 25 per unit of energy produced through their exertions.

Last edited by Technocrat : 24th July 2008 at 13:05. Reason: Removed Size Tags
Old 23rd July 2008, 18:37   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Have anyone used Solar-Cells installed on terrace, please let us know how it fares, and what all it can power? [TV, Fans, Lights, Refrig?? and for how long]
We have installed the solar water heater (Tata BP solar) at our apartment in Bangalore. Capacity is around 200 liters and it ensures adequate supply of boiling water in summer and in winter if not really hot, the water is hot enough for a quick shower.

Not sure how much it cost us around 4 years back. It also has electric backup so that hot water supply is not compromised in winter. Plus KEB (Karnataka Elec. Board) entitles customers to a discount on the monthly bill for using alternate energy.

Solar lighting is pretty expensive from what I heard. My neighbor has it and its the initial investment that is high. I am toying with the idea of using alternate energy for powering electrical applicances at my home such as fans and lights.

Checnk this linky : solar india solar power india solar home lighting solar power packs solar street lights garden lights solar powered street lights garden lights solar india tatabpsolar

Most Viewed